IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

28 minutes ago, misterspense said:

As attractive this may seem, note that these are all very subjective. I've fiddling around with my system, tweaking lot of parts, and continuously notice differences, think it is getting better every time, and then some itch makes me go back to a more simple setup, and again I perceive it as 'better'.

keep it simple ...yes!

23 minutes ago, MrUnderhill said:

Gents,

Just want to say thank you for all the hard work you are putting into reporting your findings.

I have just done a three-way comparison between the ultraRendu, SOtM 200 ultra-txUSBultra-sps500, and the DCS Network Bridge. Having completed that you have encouraged me to buy the Celeron NUC, the suggested memory and AudioLinux - I will be fascinated to have a listen - even with a less than ideal PSU.

M

please keep us posted! ~ you doing your comparison 'blind' without knowledge of which setup you are listening to?   'YES!'?   ...otherwise it could be a placebo effect? take care.

PS: what about graphs (evidence)?

3 hours ago, MrUnderhill said:

Gents,

Just want to say thank you for all the hard work you are putting into reporting your findings.

I have just done a three-way comparison between the ultraRendu, SOtM 200 ultra-txUSBultra-sps500, and the DCS Network Bridge. Having completed that you have encouraged me to buy the Celeron NUC, the suggested memory and AudioLinux - I will be fascinated to have a listen - even with a less than ideal PSU.

M

Any obvious winners or losers between the ultraRendu, SOtM 200 ultra-txUSBultra-sps500, and the DCS Network Bridge?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

3 hours ago, MrUnderhill said:

Gents,

M

This is very interesting, can you share with us your thoughts?!

dCS Network Bridge | Audio Note DAC2 Signature | Audio Note M5 Preamp | Audio Note Empress Silver Monoblocks | Audio Note AN-E/Spe HE Speakers

7 hours ago, beautiful music said:

Thank you for this information but may we know the length of both Gotham cables.

I didn't measure the exact cable length as I build them based on how I want to physically route the cables and cut them.  They are roughly 7 and 8 inches long, but would be better to have a physical measurement before cutting them.

The longer cable will be long enough and need the outer insulator stripped back a little longer (1/4 ~ 1/2 inches) then the rest on txUSBhubIn side connecting to J403.  This is to allow enough bent going around the larger/taller brown cap (C300?) in order to fit the space between the USB power switch board right above it.

Just a note, bare bones does come with a laptop style PSU with international plugs. There is an approved list on intel site for that NUCs memory. Was suggested that single Ram module goes in the lower slot.. Celeron. NUC

sorry lost link.. 

Cheers

Dave

5 hours ago, MrUnderhill said:

This is my first draft for posting elsewhere

SOtM vs ultraRendu vs DCS Network Bridge

I was joined by two friends, one of whom bought along his DCS Network Bridge.

The landscape into which I fitted the chains below is:

https://s33.postimg.cc/wggliduhr/Digital_Audio-201808-_I.jpg

The digital chains fed into:
Digital > Audio Note 2.1 (upgraded with Blackgate caps) > EAR868/534 > Focal 1008be II.

The chains were as follows:

1) Network >> SOtM sms200 ultra (sps500 + CAT7) > Uptone Iso Regen (LPSU + CAT7 + LT3045) > SOtM txUSB ulta (sps500 + CAT7) > SingXer F1 (LPSU + Dual CAT8 + LT3045) >> system
1) Network >> SOtM sms200 ultra (sps500) > Uptone Iso Regen (LPSU + CAT7 + LT3045) > SOtM txUSB ulta (sps500) > SingXer F1 (LPSU + Dual CAT8 + LT3045) >> system
2) Network >> Sonore ultraRendu (LPSU + LT3045) > Uptone Iso Regen (LPSU + CAT7 + LT3045) > SOtM txUSB ulta (sps500 + CAT7) > SingXer F1 (LPSU + Dual CAT8 + LT3045) >> system
3) Network >> Sonore ultraRendu (LPSU + LT3045) > Uptone Iso Regen (LPSU + CAT7 + LT3045) > SingXer F1 (LPSU + Dual CAT8 + LT3045) >> system
4) Network >> Sonore ultraRendu (LPSU + LT3045 + CAT7) > Uptone Iso Regen (LPSU + CAT7 + LT3045) > SingXer F1 (LPSU + Dual CAT8 + LT3045) >> system
5) Network >> DCS Network Bridge >> system

We also had a Raspberry Pi3 with SPDIF board ....but, we ran out of time.

Summary:
All the eqiupment was capable and served up plenty of good music.
The SOtM and Sonore were on a par but had different sound signatures, and so you would need to listen to decide which floats your particular boat.
The ultraRendu (uR) has a somewhat brighter presentation than the SOtM which also has a deeper bass, although the uR presents bass lines in a more heightened way.
Both devices reveal plenty of detail, but in a subtlety different way.

Over all if called upon to choose then I would probably select the SOtM, but I can see that others would select the uR.

On the day the winner was ......the DCS Network Bridge.

My Observations:

The SOtM stack with CAT7 PoE on the DC reduced the dynamics slightly, but revealed a delightful 3D in the sound field. This was my preferred SOtM presentation. Removing the CAT7 gave greater dynamics and impact, but also fractionally collapsed the 3D and reduced some delightful subtlety.

I have read that replacing the sms200 ultra with a microRendu causes the sound quality to reduce, not so with the ultraRendu, but the character does change as described above.

Removing the txUSB from the chain to just have the ultraRendu did result in a sharper presentation. Also, as the complexity of the music increased I did feel that some of the clarity was reduced. With my fellow listeners shielded from my deeds I swapped in a AQ Pearl CAT7 into the DC feeding the uR. The immediate comment, 'Have you just swapped the SOtM txUSB back in?'; this effected the tone, but not I felt the clarity.

There were other chains we could have tried, such as removing the Iso Regen. However, what we did took 5.5 hours, and the Iso Regen in combination with the SOtM is widely praised, and I know it is good for the uR.

The DCS NB simplifies things significantly. Goodbye LPSUs, goodbye spaghetti, goodbye LT3045. Having heard it a few weeks ago I was expecting the DCS to be a tad more strident than chain (1) and have a slightly more 2D soundfield. My latter expectation was met, but the musical flow and resolution was simply better. The music was more cohesive, it sounded 'of a piece'.

Now the DCS NB is significantly more expensive, and the SOtM/uR do have other potential improvements. I was already exploring buying a far better multi-rail LPSU and looking into a Master Clock, but this would add a further £2k and £1k - £3.5k respectively - whoops!

Is a cheaper and better solution available? I am following an informative thread on Computer Audiophile, and will report back once some new, and rather cheap, kit arrives and I have set it up.

Metatron's Observations:

Hi M,

For me, the thing that stood out when I compared RPi3 to dCS (I got it wrong yesterday, it was Linn Akurate DSM that I didn't compare to dCS as I never had both units at the same time)...I found that the dCS has two stand out things:

1) impeccable timing... everything timed well, so PRaT was always as it should be, without artificially fast attack... so it never fatigues and does do decay properly

2) it aids the DAC in resolving everything in the most 3D way.... not individual parts pulled out and noticeable, like huge bass, or plenty of presence, or amazing cymbals, but it manages to keep separate all the musical parts to a level where relative to each other they are still correct and musical. Nothing seems artificially pronounced.

M

An excellent summary, and far more detail than I was expecting, so thanks for that!

I have a couple of questions.  You mention that the ultraRendu is a touch brighter than the sMS-200ulra, plus less bass.  How would you say the Network Bridge compares in this regard, that is in terms of tonal balance?

Also, is the sMS-200 the Neo version, or the original?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Full of praise for Audiolinux and NUC here.
Has anyone compared Audiolinux with wtfplay?
Yes, the fundamental difference in features but pure sound quality?

Also, I can not find a direct comparison of NUC vs PC (based on Supermicro X10SBA motherboard - powering 12V + ATX) with the same OS. For use like NAA or single computer (non-upsampling).
Is NUC really better (as I have understood from this long thread)?

1 hour ago, novaca said:

Yes, the fundamental difference in features but pure sound quality?

Also, I can not find a direct comparison of NUC vs PC (based on Supermicro X10SBA motherboard - powering 12V + ATX) with the same OS. For use like NAA or single computer (non-upsampling).

Roy and Larry's findings seem to imply:

1. More cores are better

2. Linear power supplies are better (and PH Dual Regulation is the best)

So, I'd venture to guess the answer to your question is... it depends on the processor! So, from what I've read so far, I'd rather have a low power i3 or i5 NUC passively cooled powered by one linear power supply than shelling out the extra $ for a low power mini-itx board that requires 2 power supplies. At least on the renderer side. 

It's too bad that we can't just get a great one-box server / renderer solution. That truly is the holy grail.

It, though, is impossible to fault Roy, Larry, and the rest of the pioneers on this thread. How many thousands of dollars and hours have they spent for our benefit?  I'm still trying to DIY a decent linear power supply (working on a sigma 11 over here)! 

2 hours ago, novaca said:

To the best of my knowledge no one has tested wtfplay here.

Others may have experience with the Supermicro motherboard mentioned above.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

1 hour ago, taipan254 said:

Roy and Larry's findings seem to imply:

1. More cores are better

2. Linear power supplies are better (and PH Dual Regulation is the best)

So, I'd venture to guess the answer to your question is... it depends on the processor! So, from what I've read so far, I'd rather have a low power i3 or i5 NUC passively cooled powered by one linear power supply than shelling out the extra $ for a low power mini-itx board that requires 2 power supplies. At least on the renderer side. 

It's too bad that we can't just get a great one-box server / renderer solution. That truly is the holy grail.

It, though, is impossible to fault Roy, Larry, and the rest of the pioneers on this thread. How many thousands of dollars and hours have they spent for our benefit?  I'm still trying to DIY a decent linear power supply (working on a sigma 11 over here)! 

You mention implications of our work. Be patient and you will get observations! This takes time but is well worth it.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

13 hours ago, Confused said:

An excellent summary, and far more detail than I was expecting, so thanks for that!

I have a couple of questions.  You mention that the ultraRendu is a touch brighter than the sMS-200ulra, plus less bass.  How would you say the Network Bridge compares in this regard, that is in terms of tonal balance?

Also, is the sMS-200 the Neo version, or the original?

Hi Confused,

I would say that the SOtM dig deeper into the bass, but the uR is a bit more explicit in its presentation of the bass lines - which I really enjoy.

My feeling was that the DCS NB combined the strengths of both the SOtM and the uR, which is really amazing when it is simply plugged into my house power, although at a price.

Please remember that I am not using a Paul Hynes PSU, for instance, and that may make the difference. I will add a post laying out what I have done in setting up my system.

All this said, I am really looking forward to listening to the NUC, it may blow them all away!

M

THX M

Nice to see how intelligently you found your way through the audiophile dense forest with as many guides as there are religions ;)

THe Rcores + LT 3045 is one of my newest discoveries :)

I have 2 questions

The Nimak Pulsar Mk 2 how do you use it as a USB cable? You begin your paragraph with " In terms of USB I have found a cable ..."  Have you compared it with the Curious and or "Lush" usb cable?

2) The modified Ghent 360 JSSG DC cable have you compared that one against PoE?

And again thx for the detailed last post