IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

8 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

I've had the Mojo. In my experiences (not expertise), it's USB input is much more sensitive to upstream changes than say, it's bigger brother the Hugo2...

With Hugo2, Rob Watts added a lot of focus on RF filtering on the USB input, something which Mojo only has on it's power (microUSB) input, not on the USB (data) input... and it helped a lot...

Hugo2 is a little more sensitive to upstream changes than it's biggest brother, Dave... and Dave is not insensitive to upstream changes as romaz and others will tell you too...

Mojo to Hugo2 is a big improvement though (to my ears).

All the above is to my ears and experiences, not any expertise... and only talking about USB input...

Interesting, I didn't know about the extra filtering on the Hugo 2 usb. 

Unfortunately, the Hugo 2, for me, is well outside my budget. Here in Australia it is AU$3,700... For sure I would get one if I could. For now I will have to be content with spending smaller amounts on other improvements... My pennies are being saved for the EtherRegen and hopefully it will fall within my affordable range ?

3 hours ago, ray-dude said:

Rajiv will of course speak to his opinion, but I've seen astronomical improvement by up leveling DACs.  It may be heretical, but my view is that everything before the analog chain (I include DAC in the analog chain) takes away SQ.   For me, all the work on the digital/network side is about taking away as little as possible.

By way of example, I documented my journey up the DAC (and transducer) ladders here:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/chord-hugo-2.22209/reviews#review-19435

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/chord-blu-mk-ii-digital-cd-transport.22848/reviews#review-19675

(as a bonus, this documented my journey from Mojo to Hugo2 to DAVE to BluDAVE, related to question earlier about whether an update from Mojo is worthwhile)

I don't think that's heretical ?

I totally agree with you. I see the dac as an incredibly high precision instrument that is the heart of where the music is made ?... Because it is so high precision its performance will be decided to some degree by the signal that it is fed. A high quality, low noise, precision timed electrical signal going into a dac makes for a better performing dac. 

I think we are on the same page... ?

23 minutes ago, flkin said:

I am converting my SonicTransporter i5 into an AudioLinux Roon endpoint to see how that compares with my all in one streamer under AL. I didn't have much success with the STi5 with the original SonicOrbitor OS which was clearly worse. 

@Kritpoon

I converted my sonicTransporter i5 into an AudioLinux Roon server and it sounds much much better. 

Don't forget to disable hyperthreading, Intel speedstep and turbo boost in the bios... Also removing the ssd is very worthwhile. 

7 minutes ago, flkin said:

Will do, thanks for the suggestion.

Did you ever try it as an Roon endpoint rather than a file server? As a file server, where did you keep the music?

I haven't tried it as a roon endpoint. I have the NUC7CJYH as roon endpoint. I got rid of all disks and I'm just using tidal at the moment. If you use audiolinux lxqt then it should mount a usb disk automatically and I think Piero is working on an easier way for mounting disks in headless. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, bobfa said:

I have moved a bit further along in my testing.  I have shrunk the test bed down to be more mobile with a small HDMI display if I need it.  I am still using the NUC7i7BNH test bed.   I have removed both of the SSDs.  I turned off the SATA, M2, Bluetooth, WiFi, TurboBoost in the BIOS.

11C30CED-8D0E-49EE-B6FF-615B2FC39E19.thumb.jpeg.151bda598e4d4f58c76fa200bc8b386b.jpeg

I have a funny little 60hz buzz in the system right now that goes away if I put my hand on the NUC or the Mojo.  Sort of annoying but this is a test....   

I have skipped a couple of floors up on the sound quality stairway.  I have two words that describe what I am hearing:  Smooth Detail.  Over the next couple of days I am going to setup the NUC so that I can swap between the Ultrarendu in my listening system.  

Off to family stuff....

Bob

Don't forget to turn off hyperthreading and speed step as well 😁

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, austinpop said:

Hmm, I've now tried this on several DACs in my stable, and I've got to say I don't hear this. I found the Fixed, Device, and DSP volume settings, and I am hard pressed to hear any difference. I guess it IS YMMV.

I've just tried this as well and I think I'm hearing a very subtle difference if any... In my system I have preferred no DSP and no upsampling ever since moving to Audiolinux on server and endpoint... previously with sonicorbitor and my sms200 I was preferring dsd upsampling.

There seems to be many different things that can effect these preferences for different settings so it's definitely not a one size fits all situation.

Happy listening everybody 🔊😁

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, austinpop said:

Thanks, Bricki!

Did you play with the various isolation options? And is what you described above with the "all but one" option?

G'day Rajiv

The only option I selected both times when prompted about the core division is the "half" option. Both my CPUs only have 2 physical cores. It will be interesting to see what people with more than 2 physical cores find is the best sounding option👍

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Oops my bad - you has already indicated your machines were dual core. Not much choice there!

No worries 😊

Also, just to add further context to my listening impressions. The division of cores is only for physical cores (not including virtual cores). My 5200u has hyperthreading which allows 2 virtual cores in addition to the 2 physical cores. With hyperthreading turned off there is an increase in SQ, the division of the cores is a further increase in addition to having hyperthreading disabled. 

I hope this helps others 🤓

1 hour ago, Poldi said:

Thanks all of you for this helpful input!

Then I'll try to stick to one of the models mentioned for the endpoint.

And regarding server: As my server will also be standing in the living room I don't want to have a fan spinning if I can avoid it. And it would be easier to get a fanless case for a 10W or 15W TDP NUC and I would avoid thermal throttling.

In that case the NUC7i7DNBE would seem suitable. But is it strong enough for room correction? I haven't tried this so far but would like to do so in the future. Also it only has one ethernet port so bridging won't be possible. Hm... after reading the reports about bridging, I wouldn't want to miss it really.

Bridging is possible... just use a USB to Ethernet adapter

On 3/27/2019 at 4:25 AM, austinpop said:

SR4-12V vs. sPS-500-19V on the NUC i7:

•  That 19V sure helps dynamics, even though the SR-4 is cleaner and less harsh. Still, powering the NUC i7 with an sPS-500-19 sounds very good, and allowed me to free up the SR4. So, where to put this newly freed SR4 - the switch or the JCAT card?

G'day Rajiv

Thanks for another excellent write up and of course thanks to @romaz for the amazing post that I have spent the last several days reading over several times 😁

Just thought I would jump in here to let you know that I have recently tried the JSGT trick on the sps500 and even though the DC output is reportedly already connected internally to ac ground there is a very worthwhile reduction in harshness.

The easiest way I find is to get some old speaker cable (I'm using 14AWG OFC) and make a little "y" shape at one to wrap around the DC plug....then twist the "y" shape together around the DC plug and it will tighten right up... then run that to ac ground 😁

I am also using a furutech TCS 21 power cord and good vibration control on the sps500 ac plug and chassis.

They won't make it sound like an SR7 🤣 ....but they are worthwhile improvements 😁

Also I should add to my last post (but it's too late to edit) that there seems to be further improvement by using thicker or multiple cables to ground....for example if you're using a gs105 with the JSGT trick then make sure u are using at least a good quality 14awg cable for ground and preferably a couple...I find there's improvements across the frequency range ...bigger soundstage, tighter bass, more dynamic and better tone.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, austinpop said:

Please try it and tell us what you find.

If the endpoint is connected directly to the server, with no intervening switch, then yes, it will auto-negotiate.

G'day Rajiv

How can we reduce our network speeds to 100mbps on Audiolinux?

Sorry for the dim question 🙄. I'm not a Linux native 😁

I have my server and endpoint bridged.

Thanks

Brendan

25 minutes ago, Dev said:

With Ethernet interfaces, you can use ethtool utility in Linux. However, AL doesn't have this package by default. So you have to download it using pacman or yaourt

For example to set link speed to 100mbps on eno1 interface,

ethtool -s eno1 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off

Ok thanks for this 👍

Has anyone tried reducing USB transfer speeds with similar effect?

For example if we reduce our USB transfer speeds for music storage on our server, perhaps there could be some gains there.

I assume this is possible somehow in Linux but I wouldn't know where to begin 🤣.

USB 3.0 controllers do seem to have better signal integrity and sound better but if we can reduce their speed back to USB 2.0 there might be some further SQ gains.

Just a thought

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

Nice summary. I’m not a big fan of the sPS-500 as I think its sonic footprint is not amongst the best or least intrusive. If this were my system I’d tend to sell some of the hardware and look for a superior power supply. When you get to the level your at, things like power supplies have quite a major impact on the overall flavour and character of the sound...differences that are quite fundamental to believability and not just cosmetics. 

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the importance of good power supplies. The only surplus equipment I have is my SMS-200. If I get a new PSU (I have my eyes on the farad super 3) then my sps500 will go to my router. I can only afford one new piece of equipment in the next 12 months so I am carefully considering my next move😁.

Options high on the list are:

-farad super 3

-lps1.2

-Etheregen

-CSS P215 kit speaker

-mini itx build

-more furutech goodies😁

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, elan120 said:

The base of this cable is a double shielded Neotech 16AWG solid core silver cable purchased from Audio Sensibility in a twisted pair configuration.  I first setup the cable in JSSG360 configuration with the double shield, and then added the third layer to make it JSSG360^3.

Did you purchase the cable as bulk or pre terminated? I assume you altered the existing sheilds to JSSG360 configuration before adding your 3rd layer?