IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Well, as expected, both mR & sMS-200 go to Daphile directly.

Does your mR stop by any place that it shouldn't. :)

That's good to know. I don't have have a microRendu, but whenever I read about latency and dropout issues I think it worthwhile to check the routing. I have had both Windows and Linux machines choose to route via routers several hops away even though they are directly adjacent.

Unexpected this is tough to check from the microRendu as you can't SSH directly into the box. Is there an SSH door on the sms200?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

That's good to know. I don't have have a microRendu, but whenever I read about latency and dropout issues I think it worthwhile to check the routing. I have had both Windows and Linux machines choose to route via routers several hops away even though they are directly adjacent.

Unexpected this is tough to check from the microRendu as you can't SSH directly into the box. Is there an SSH door on the sms200?

Yes, both mR and sMS-200 support ssh. I do have login info of sMS-200 but not mR. It's provided by May@SOtM. But she didn't want me to spread it. It's better you ask her in PM if you need it.

Or, you think of any further tests like me to do? Please feel free to tell me. I'd be glad to do it.

You may want to run traceroute on the daphile machine with both the microRendu and sms-200. You may find the microRendu packets take a different path.

The problem with traceroute is that it doesnt show if the path goes through a switch. It only shows if the data hops through a router. I tested this playing music local on my server machine then disconnecting it from my switch. If the music still plays then the server is communicating directly with the downstream device.

Well, as expected, both mR & sMS-200 go to Daphile directly.

Does your mR stop by any place that it shouldn't. :)

Your results are really interesting. I would expect any directly connected device to have a very short ping time. Even on my el cheapo i3 pc I use an NAA I get <1ms ping times, though for some reason, every 4th or 5th ping I get much higher times (4-5ms). My unsupported opinion is that there are major differences in hardware between the microrendu and sms200. I believe the usb implementation alone has to be very different because the microrendu uses the regen technology and power topology.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Yes, both mR and sMS-200 support ssh. I do have login info of sMS-200 but not mR. It's provided by May@SOtM. But she didn't want me to spread it. It's better you ask her in PM if you need it.

Or, you think of any further tests like me to do? Please feel free to tell me. I'd be glad to do it.

It would be interesting to hear the traceroute results to your daphile box from the sms-200. If nothing else it would confirm no router interaction.

Your results are really interesting. I would expect any directly connected device to have a very short ping time. Even on my el cheapo i3 pc I use an NAA I get <1ms ping times, though for some reason, every 4th or 5th ping I get much higher times (4-5ms). My unsupported opinion is that there are major differences in hardware between the microrendu and sms200. I believe the usb implementation alone has to be very different because the microrendu uses the regen technology and power topology.

I agree there's some difference in h/w implementations. But I suspect it's in networking design. Sonore mR uses Solid-Run SOM which is based on i.MX6. The network performance is limited to 480Mbps max because of internal architecture. I suspect SOtM uses external Ethernet chip to achieve better effiency. May be @May could tell us more.

Guys, can you please help me get working roon + hqplayer on one PC(Win10, two ethernet PCI-E devices) with direct connect of mR.

I tried many times, the same problem, PC doesnt see mR in NAA mode. In RoonReady it works fine, roon sees it without a problem.

The best result i got, when i add static IP to bridge with subnet different to gateway. Gateway is 192.168.0.x, ip of bridge 192.168.1.xx. Then i see mR in NAA on iMac, connected to router via wifi and to this router connected PC via ethernet cable. But then PC doesnt have internet connection and of course it doesnt see mR :(

As i understood i have to give to mR ip from another subnet during the bridge mode, but its impossible, as windows gives an option to adjust IP of a bridge and do other magic by itself.

dCS Network Bridge | Audio Note DAC2 Signature | Audio Note M5 Preamp | Audio Note Empress Silver Monoblocks | Audio Note AN-E/Spe HE Speakers

Guys, can you please help me get working roon + hqplayer on one PC(Win10, two ethernet PCI-E devices) with direct connect of mR.

I tried many times, the same problem, PC doesnt see mR in NAA mode. In RoonReady it works fine, roon sees it without a problem.

As i understood i have to give to mR ip from another subnet during the bridge mode, but its impossible, as windows gives an option to adjust IP of a bridge and do other magic by itself.

I'm using Win 10 as well. No need to set separate subnet.

Onboard LAN to router (DHCP)

PCIe LAN to mR (DHCP) then add both of this to form a network bridge (DHCP)

Attach a WiFi dongle then add it to the bridge.

Then HQPlayer should be able to find mR in NAA mode and play.

You may now eject the dongle.

Never try roon. Hope this method helps. I tried to used DHCP server in Win10 but didn't work out.

It would be interesting to hear the traceroute results to your daphile box from the sms-200. If nothing else it would confirm no router interaction.

The tracepath (name of traceroute in Fedora) shows only one IP address which is Daphile's.

Here is the ping results from sMS-200 to Daphile.

With switch

100 t, 100 r, 0 loss, 98999ms, rtt min/avg/max/Mdev = 0.355/0.419/0.486/0.035 ms

Without switch (direct connection)

192.168.128.1 (Ethernet port connected directly to sMS-200)

100 t, 100 r, 0 loss, 99000ms, rtt min/avg/max/Mdev = 0.295/0.338/0.424/0.031 ms

192.168.2.70 (Ethernet port connected to Internet)

100 t, 100 r, 0 loss, 99000ms, rtt min/avg/max/Mdev = 0.286/0.334/0.454/0.034 ms

I'm using Win 10 as well. No need to set separate subnet.

Onboard LAN to router (DHCP)

PCIe LAN to mR (DHCP) then add both of this to form a network bridge (DHCP)

Attach a WiFi dongle then add it to the bridge.

Then HQPlayer should be able to find mR in NAA mode and play.

You may now eject the dongle.

Never try roon. Hope this method helps. I tried to used DHCP server in Win10 but didn't work out.

Ok, can you write more detailed?

So i connected mR and router to PC, created bridge, assigned static IP to this bridge, then added wifi dongle, connected it to router and added to bridge. Are these steps correct? As before on another computer i HQPlayer sees mR, but PC with mR doesnt see it.

Did you assign static IPs to all of them separately? Should there be some rule?

dCS Network Bridge | Audio Note DAC2 Signature | Audio Note M5 Preamp | Audio Note Empress Silver Monoblocks | Audio Note AN-E/Spe HE Speakers

Hi,

I was using my sotm sms-200 directly connected to my win 2012 r2 server with a bridge connection without any issues for more than a month. Yesterday I did a clean install of win 2016 server, but I cannot make the sotm sms-200 working with a direct connection with a network bridge on this new version of windows.

I would like to know if others peoples had the same issues... Is there something different in the configuration of a network bridge with windows 2016 server?

Thanks in advance,

Hi,

I was using my sotm sms-200 directly connected to my win 2012 r2 server with a bridge connection without any issues for more than a month. Yesterday I did a clean install of win 2016 server, but I cannot make the sotm sms-200 working with a direct connection with a network bridge on this new version of windows.

I would like to know if others peoples had the same issues... Is there something different in the configuration of a network bridge with windows 2016 server?

Thanks in advance,

Bridge is not possible in core (w2012 & w2016) but is possible in W2012-GUI and minimal server mode and should be possible in 2016-GUI (I did not test that in 2016-GUI) see this thread

Check my profile for my audiosystem.

Bridge is not possible in core (w2012 & w2016) but is possible in W2012-GUI and minimal server mode and should be possible in 2016-GUI (I did not test that in 2016-GUI) see this thread

I have a GUI installation of Windows 2016. I have tried all differents ways possible but couldn't make it working ... In fact I see the problem: when I create the bridge, the new connection doesn't receive an IP Address from the DHCP. I can manually configure the IP Address but that doesn't work either. If I do exactly the same on Win2012 or Win10 on the same computer, that works directly. So, that could be related to a driver problem of my Intel server mainboard. Does someone have similar problems when trying to create a network bridge in Win 2016?

Thanks in advance,

Big thanks to clipper, now my PC sees directly connected mR in NAA mode!

So what i did.

I plugged mR to PC, PC to router via ethernet, i also plugged wifi usb adapter to PC and connected PC with router via wifi (installed all drivers and checked connection). Then chose all of them and created bridge, rebooted PC and mR, then added static IP to bridge.

Rebooted again. Now i see mR on PC.

But i realized, if i remove wifi adaptor, no longer HQPLayer sees mR, but if i turn off wifi in menu, music still works, so wifi adaptor will be connected there forever!

I have a GUI installation of Windows 2016. I have tried all differents ways possible but couldn't make it working ... In fact I see the problem: when I create the bridge, the new connection doesn't receive an IP Address from the DHCP. I can manually configure the IP Address but that doesn't work either. If I do exactly the same on Win2012 or Win10 on the same computer, that works directly. So, that could be related to a driver problem of my Intel server mainboard. Does someone have similar problems when trying to create a network bridge in Win 2016?

Thanks in advance,

I was able to establish a network bridge in Win Server 2016, the exact same way as in windows 10. Using DHCP for all ports. I am using the onboard ethernet port and a PCI E ethernet card for the bridge. I know you were asking if someone had similar problems, but I don't remember anybody saying that they definitely got it working with Server 2016. So it should be possible. Sorry, I do not know how help. Hopefully, someone else will have some ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Big thanks to clipper, now my PC sees directly connected mR in NAA mode!

So what i did.

I plugged mR to PC, PC to router via ethernet, i also plugged wifi usb adapter to PC and connected PC with router via wifi (installed all drivers and checked connection). Then chose all of them and created bridge, rebooted PC and mR, then added static IP to bridge.

Rebooted again. Now i see mR on PC.

But i realized, if i remove wifi adaptor, no longer HQPLayer sees mR, but if i turn off wifi in menu, music still works, so wifi adaptor will be connected there forever!

Glad to see that your system is now working. Clipper helped me as well.

You may even eject and remove the WiFi adapter. HQP still works. You may check if this sounds better :-)

You may disable the LAN that connected to the router as well. HQP still works for at least two hours (see my earlier post) and a total isolation from the router and the WiFi dongle is possible. You may check if this sound better :-)

This is fun :-)

But if your system restarts, you need to setup the bridge again :-( but it just take 2 minutes. What I did was to enable the LAN before shutting down Win10 and reinsert the WiFi adapter just before starting up Win10. The bridge will be re-built automatically so far.

Cheers.

Enjoy.

Thanks in advance,

Was the bridge for HQPlayer or what?

For the bridge that you've set up, have you used ipconfig to check the IP addresses of the tow LANs and then use ipconfig to check the IP address of the bridge formed? I will use DHCP for both of the LANs initially to check if the bridge have been setup correctly.

Hope this helps.

I have been following this thread for months trying different combinations of optical and Ethernet isolation devices with bridge and direct connections and was unsatisfied. My Oppo 105 is already bright, then add a pair of FMCs and it’s too bright or sibilant. I returned to my previous setup because the music was too harsh or fatiguing.

Yesterday I created a bootable SD card with OS and JRiver. Then I cracked open the MacMini to removed the Airport card, disconnected the HDD, and installed an UpTone Audio fan kit with JS-2 linear power supply. Next I Booted up and bridged 2 Apple Thunderbolt Ethernet adapters for the router and NAS, then direct connected the MacMini Ethernet port to the microRendu, and the music is now warmer, open, and more detailed. Hate to say it, but I’ve been a couch potato all day enjoying my music library favorites.

NetworkLayout.jpg

NUC >  M5 > May KTE > Bliss KTE > Headphone of the day

Hi romaz,

Great to hear you were able to duplicate the SQ benefits gained from replacing an SSD with a hard drive. I am sure your SD card experiments will prove to be even better and I look forward to reading about your results.

The rest of your build looks great. I would just say that it may make sense to keep the pcie x4 slot open rather then use it for a network card. My experience here with the Adnaco fiberUSB solution powered by the LPS-1 has been very successful. With the Adnaco, if you store your music locally, the network is only used for control signals, and you achieve a first level of GI without the need for the NAA.

I am anxious to try a second level of GI and reclocking with the ISO REGEN.

Without the need for network drives, more windows processes can be turned off, and the SQ increases again. I'm running Windows 10 with 21 processes including Roon and HQplayer.

Having only run I7-6700ks here, I am not sure that the lower TDP CPUs will crank dsd512 in HQplayer. DSD512 is a big step up, so I'd try to ensure you can handle it in your new build. I think the 65 watt parts like the i7-7700 are your best bet with a turbo clock speed at 4.2 ghz.

Also populating the two closest ram slots to the CPU of the 4 DDR4 slots on my motherboard sounds better, even though it is said to break the dual channel capability.

Anyway my 2 cents FWIW,

Larry

What I do believe this "direct connection" has brought besides increased resolution, clarity and immediacy that Mark Jenkins talks about is transparency to upstream components which is both a good thing and a bad thing. For those of us who apply proper care and attention to our upstream components, we are rewarded for our efforts and for those of us who don't, there are sonic penalties.

Exactly my experience. I reported the other night substituting a Mac Mini/MMK/JS-2 for a 2008 Mac Pro. Subsequent listening had me thinking this was among my most significant upgrades. That Mac Pro had been doing much harm - and holding everything else back.

But this was not my best overall SQ, however. I went back to El Capitan on the SD card yesterday and without question, right now, this is where the magic is at.

I had thought I installed Sierra on my SD card, but this morning there was a notification that encouraged upgrading to Sierra. Turns out I inadvertently installed El Capitan. :-)

Sorry for the horribly long post but this is where I'm at at this time and I would appreciate any constructive input others may have on how to improve it.

Apologize - are you kidding? It was an awesome post. Thanks so much for putting all that effort into it.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Hi romaz,

Great to hear you were able to duplicate the SQ benefits gained from replacing an SSD with a hard drive. I am sure your SD card experiments will prove to be even better and I look forward to reading about your results.

The rest of your build looks great. I would just say that it may make sense to keep the pcie x4 slot open rather then use it for a network card. My experience here with the Adnaco fiberUSB solution powered by the LPS-1 has been very successful. With the Adnaco, if you store your music locally, the network is only used for control signals, and you achieve a first level of GI without the need for the NAA.

I am anxious to try a second level of GI and reclocking with the ISO REGEN.

Without the need for network drives, more windows processes can be turned off, and the SQ increases again. I'm running Windows 10 with 21 processes including Roon and HQplayer.

Having only run I7-6700ks here, I am not sure that the lower TDP CPUs will crank dsd512 in HQplayer. DSD512 is a big step up, so I'd try to ensure you can handle it in your new build. I think the 65 watt parts like the i7-7700 are your best bet with a turbo clock speed at 4.2 ghz.

Also populating the two closest ram slots to the CPU of the 4 DDR4 slots on my motherboard sounds better, even though it is said to break the dual channel capability.

Anyway my 2 cents FWIW,

Larry

Thanks, Larry. Very helpful and I appreciate the tip on the Adnaco USB unit. I am not familiar with this unit and I wonder how it might compare to the Acousense AFI USB modules from Germany which I haven't tried either. The Adnaco looks simpler and to be able to power it with an LPS-1 would make it a better choice probably. To be honest, I am skeptical that the optical isolation portion would benefit me since my DAC's USB input is already galvanically isolated but you never know what complete optical isolation might provide and it would appear the Adnaco would have 2 clocks that could be replaced for the better and this dual layer of reclocking could allow for a single box solution instead of server + NAA. It would help if you had experience with an mR or sMS-200 and could say that this Adnaco solution was better but as it stands, I am bowled over by my new sMS-200 Ultra. If I can secure a Adnaco unit to try, I will definitely do so.

Regarding the 6700K (or 7600K), I don't use HQP and have no interest in overclocking and so I am content to be able to use a low power CPU.

Thanks for sharing that you like how your DDR4 sounds. I have no experience with DDR4.

I prefer not to use network drives either as in my system, local playback for sure sounds a bit better although I maintain a NAS for comparison testing and for backup but I also stream from Tidal and so I can't shut down my network completely. As I plan to upgrade the "incoming" LAN port's clock on my new server and with a Paul Hynes SR7 powering my modem/router, I am hoping to bring Tidal streaming to nearly the same level of SQ as local playback. As it stands, network streaming doesn't sound horrible at all. If I am successful in elevating network playback close to the SQ level of my current local playback, it may encourage me to pursue building an audiophile class modem/router with better clocks and regulators and attempt to integrate larger capacity music storage into the router itself. I find the idea of an audiophile class modem/router/NAS that I can power with a single lead from my SR7 to be an attractive scenario just so I can provide a high quality stream to other areas of my home.

Anyway, interesting times ahead. Thanks again.

Roy