IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

19 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

I recently ordered a Holo Spring Level 3 DAC.  I'm looking forward to the many possibilities this brings.  It will be a new chapter as I'll also have a new sCLK motherboard and the ability to upsample to DSD512.  I'll be sure to compare with level matching this time around.

I am looking forward to this comparison as well.  What input will you be using to feed Holo Spring DAC (USB/I2S...)?

11 minutes ago, austinpop said:

It helps to think of this comparison as follows: how do I get OCXO-level clocking delivered to the switch? In the Linear Solutions design, it is to engineer an OCXO chip directly in the switch. In the sCLK-EX approach, it is to take an OCXO reference clock, connect it to the sCLK-EX master clock input, and distribute to the switch. Without the reference clock in the modded switch, we're not getting the OCXO-level quality. I realize this is a non-technical description. What does it really mean to use an OCXO reference clock to discipline an sCLK-EX clock generator? I guess in layman's terms, and based on what we are hearing, the "quality" of the OCXO reference clock seems to propagate to the outputs of the sCLK-EX.

If Linear Solutions offered a master clock connection it would, or could, receive further benefit from synchronized timing with the other devices.  The sCLK is very good.  How good vs OCXO without a master clock is now questionable, at least for a switch.  Is there more to Adrian's switch?  Would the sCLK benefit from OCXO?  Exciting time to be into audio :) 

3 minutes ago, elan120 said:

I am looking forward to this comparison as well.  What input will you be using to feed Holo Spring DAC (USB/I2S...)?

Great question.  Holo recently improved the USB to where it should be similar to i2s.  I'm talking with someone in the forum now about buying his Singxer for i2s.  This adds another layer of complexity however.

1 minute ago, Johnseye said:

Great question.  Holo recently improved the USB to where it should be similar to i2s.  I'm talking with someone in the forum now about buying his Singxer for i2s.  This adds another layer of complexity however.

I am looking forward to your findings as I also have Holo Spring DAC L3, but older not with the new X208 USB input.  I use Sinxger SU-1 to send signal via I2S to Holo Spring DAC, but I modded mine recently to be sCLK-EX clocked and fed by sCLK-OCX10 with great result.

1 minute ago, elan120 said:

I am looking forward to your findings as I also have Holo Spring DAC L3, but older not with the new X208 USB input.  I use Sinxger SU-1 to send signal via I2S to Holo Spring DAC, but I modded mine recently to be sCLK-EX clocked and fed by sCLK-OCX10 with great result.

May and Lee were talking with me about that yesterday.  That would mean another sCLK for me.  More cost.  You wouldn't happen to live in the Chicago area would you :)

1 minute ago, Johnseye said:

May and Lee were talking with me about that yesterday.  That would mean another sCLK for me.  More cost.  You wouldn't happen to live in the Chicago area would you :)

Sorry, I wish I am, especially last week when you are having so much fun with these great people.

I can only comment on the comparisons I did when I took different steps modding my SU-1, and the improvement from sCLK-EX / OCX10 combo was beyond all the mods I did previously.  In my case, having the other two sCLK-EX outputs to both txUSBUltra and txUSBexp sort of "even" out the overall cost a little.

On 2018-04-16 at 9:18 AM, jaspal kallar said:

I presume it can play back AIFF files (among others), however ripping only supports FLAC & WAV. Is that correct?

Yes you are correct - I checked with Innuos.

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

12 hours ago, AmusedToD said:

Thanks for the detailed analysis. You guys had some nice fun together, great to see an Internet forum bringing like minded people together like that! :)

Anyways, your collective finding that the Linear Solution OCXO switch is better than the SOtM sCLK modded switch is in line with Roy’s findings. That kind of narrows it down. The Linear Solution gets you the switch plus a linear PSU for only $649, whereas the SOtM switch (with a sCLK board) will probably be close to a grand (speculation based on their previous products pricing), and that’s without a PSU.

The LS switch will probably be the better buy, unless the upcoming Uptone switch kills both for less than $500.

I see that @Johnseye and @austinpop have addressed elements of this in subsequent posts but I think this is a very interesting area.

For the most part I agree with your analysis. However for me the SOtM ace card is the ability to use a good master clock on several components. So for me at least the key differentiater between the Linear Solution switch and the upcoming SOtM switch is the clock input on the SOtM. 

I recently added the SOtM sCLK-OCX10 to my stack and whilst it's still burning in I've heard enough to know it's a keeper. It's powering my TX-USBultra only. 

I also have an Aqvox SE switch (powered by an LPS-1) which has done marvels for my Tidal streaming. 

I therefore wonder how the Linear Solutions would compare to the the Aqvox. But on paper I assume they'd be fairly close. 

I also wonder how the SOtM switch would compare, especially when it was connected to a master clock. On paper here I presume there are two advantages to the SOtM route. A. The superior clock. B. Synchronisation between the switch and the TX-USBultra. 

And the 64,000 dollar question is whether any improvement is SQ would justify the cost of trading the Aqvox for the SOtM switch! 

Either way I agree with Johnseyes comment that it's a great time for our hobby. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

2 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

I see that @Johnseye and @austinpop have addressed elements of this in subsequent posts but I think this is a very interesting area.

For the most part I agree with your analysis. However for me the SOtM ace card is the ability to use a good master clock on several components. So for me at least the key differentiater between the Linear Solution switch and the upcoming SOtM switch is the clock input on the SOtM. 

I recently added the SOtM sCLK-OCX10 to my stack and whilst it's still burning in I've heard enough to know it's a keeper. It's powering my TX-USBultra only. 

I also have an Aqvox SE switch (powered by an LPS-1) which has done marvels for my Tidal streaming. 

I therefore wonder how the Linear Solutions would compare to the the Aqvox. But on paper I assume they'd be fairly close. 

I also wonder how the SOtM switch would compare, especially when it was connected to a master clock. On paper here I presume there are two advantages to the SOtM route. A. The superior clock. B. Synchronisation between the switch and the TX-USBultra. 

And the 64,000 dollar question is whether any improvement is SQ would justify the cost of trading the Aqvox for the SOtM switch! 

Either way I agree with Johnseyes comment that it's a great time for our hobby. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

Alan,

If you already have an OCX10, and one unused tap on the tX-USBultra, then getting either a modded switch now, or waiting for the new SOtM switch is a no brainer.

I hope you noted my point earlier that SOtM will have an option to buy this switch without an internal sCLK-EX board, and just an SMB connector for external clocking. I doubt this will be as expensive as a Linear Solutions switch.

The Linear Solutions switch makes a lot more sense to those who don't have an sCLK-EX component, or a free clock tap on their sCLK-EX.

See my previous post right above this one regarding synchronization.

23 minutes ago, austinpop said:

If you already have an OCX10, and one unused tap on the tX-USBultra, then getting either a modded switch now, or waiting for the new SOtM switch is a no brainer.

Thanks Rajiv,

But would connecting the sCLK-OX10 directly to the SoTM Switch not make more sense that going via the TX-USBUltra?

The OX10 comes with 4 BNC clock outputs.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

Just now, BigAlMc said:

Thanks Rajiv,

But would running connecting the sCLK-OX10 directly to the SoTM Switch not make more sense that going via the TX-USBUltra?

The OX10 comes with 4 BNC clock outputs.

Cheers,

Alan

Sure - if you want to spend more money.

If you have unused taps on the sCLK-EX in your tX-USBultra, then why buy another sCLK-EX in your switch?

On 17/04/2018 at 4:52 AM, austinpop said:

The switch can be ordered either with an SMB input, to be supplied by an existing sCLK-EX board in your system, or with an sCLK-EX board in the box, with an optional reference clock input

Hi Rajiv - I wasn't following what you meant and had to reread your Axpona post. Think I've got it but just to clarify.

The sCLK-OX10 has 4 BNC clock outputs. This can be connected to a TX-USBUltra which has an sCLK-EX in it.

The SoTM switch without an sCLK-EX in it can accept the clock signal via "SMB Input" from an external sCLK-EX, right? But cannot accept the clock signal directly from the sCLK-OX10 - is that what you meant?

Assuming my understanding above is correct then that seems a bit disapointing. The sCLK-EX is essentially a clock. So if I don't need that clock because I have a superior one then why doesn't the switch accept the BNC in from the sCLK-EX. I guess there's a technical aspect I'm missing - as opposed to just more revenue for SoTM.

Thanks,

Alan

3 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

But would connecting the sCLK-OX10 directly to the SoTM Switch not make more sense that going via the TX-USBUltra?

The only SOtM component that optionally provides a master clock connector is the sCLK-EX board.  So you would need an sCLK-EX board in the SOtM switch in order to connect the sCLK-OCX10 directly to the switch.  

As Rajiv said, if you have unused taps on the sCLK-EX in your tX-USBultra it's more cost effective to just install a clock connect PCB in the SOtM switch and leverage the connection of the sCLK-OCX10 to your tX-USBultra.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 minute ago, rickca said:

The only SOtM component that optionally provides a master clock connector is the sCLK-EX board.  So you would need an sCLK-EX board in the SOtM switch in order to connect the sCLK-OCX10 directly to the switch.  

As Rajiv said, if you have unused taps on the sCLK-EX in your tX-USBultra it's more cost effective to just install a clock connect PCB in the SOtM switch and leverage the connection of the sCLK-OCX10 to your tX-USBultra.

Thanks @rickca

I would need to re-organise some stuff and put the switch closer to the TX-USBUltra but I guess that's not a deal breaker. All hypothetical of course as the switch is not even out and my Aqvox SE is doing a fantastic job currently.

Cost aside. Any thoughts on whether there is a theoretical advantage for the sCLK-OX10 clock signal to go directly to a sCLK-EX containing switch, versus via the TX-USBUltra and it's sCLK-EX?

Cheers,

Alan

4 hours ago, austinpop said:

John, the master clock does not apply to the Linear Solutions approach. Consider this. A generic switch has a fixed frequency (say 25MHz) oscillator (i.e. clock) in it. When you use an sCLK-EX approach to improve the switch, you are doing this:

• sCLK-EX's on-board 10MHz reference clock ---- drives ------> frequency synthesizer ----> synthesizes 25 MHz ------ delivers over SMB to -------> switch

When you connect a 10MHz master clock to the sCLK-EX, you are using the superior OCXO clock in the master clock to "discipline" the sCLK-EX's reference clock. So the new chain, with improved SQ, looks like this:

• OCXO-based 10 MHz reference clock ---------- disciplines -----> sCLK-EX''s reference clock ---- drives ------> frequency synthesizer ----> synthesizes 25 MHz ------ over SMB -------> switch

Presumably, the reason we hear an improvement with the above is that the OCXO "goodness" of the reference clock somehow propagates all the way to the switch.

The Linear Solutions approach is different. It is putting the OCXO directly in the switch. It is replacing the generic 25MHz clock in the switch itself with an OCXO 25MHz clock. There is no synthesizer, so the design does not lend itself to an external reference clock. This is a different approach.

Does that make sense?

As for your point about "synchronization." I've reported on this before. Eric and I have done experiments where we constructed chains where all the components were clocked from a single sCLK-EX board (i.e. synchronized), vs. each component with its own sCLK-EX board (i.e. unsynchronized). We heard no difference in SQ between the 2, suggesting no SQ benefit from synchronization. This suggests the improvements come from lowering the phase noise, not necessarily running all components in lock-step.

I hope this clarifies things.

Rajiv,

The two of us have had this conversation several times. Money aside, if synchronized clocks make no difference in SQ than we should, at the least, be indifferent between having a great clock in each device vs. a centralized clock solution.

In the case of the two switches we compared on Sunday, distributed won, but not by miles.

If we agree, then the economics of central vs. distributed clock generation kick in. I don't know which is most cost effective, but I suspect it may be the latter approach. Less spaghetti too.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

3 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Thanks @rickca

I would need to re-organise some stuff and put the switch closer to the TX-USBUltra but I guess that's not a deal breaker. All hypothetical of course as the switch is not even out and my Aqvox SE is doing a fantastic job currently.

Cost aside. Any thoughts on whether there is a theoretical advantage for the sCLK-OX10 clock signal to go directly to a sCLK-EX containing switch, versus via the TX-USBUltra and it's sCLK-EX?

Cheers,

Alan

Only the cable length.  SOtM uses longish cables in their devices anyway so it shouldn't make a difference.  I'd leverage the TX ultra if you have a tap and the time.

4 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Only the cable length.  SOtM uses longish cables in their devices anyway so it shouldn't make a difference.  I'd leverage the TX ultra if you have a tap and the time.

Thanks John.

Yeah - that does seem the way to go as I'd imagine any difference is fairly minimal.

And probably beats the wisdom of shelling out for another sCLK-EX and another 500 quid BNC cable! :$ It (the SoTM BNC cable) comes in a pizza box, it's a thing of beauty. But it's eye-wateringly expensive!

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

John, the master clock does not apply to the Linear Solutions approach. Consider this. A generic switch has a fixed frequency (say 25MHz) oscillator (i.e. clock) in it. When you use an sCLK-EX approach to improve the switch, you are doing this:

• sCLK-EX's on-board 10MHz reference clock ---- drives ------> frequency synthesizer ----> synthesizes 25 MHz ------ delivers over SMB to -------> switch

When you connect a 10MHz master clock to the sCLK-EX, you are using the superior OCXO clock in the master clock to "discipline" the sCLK-EX's reference clock. So the new chain, with improved SQ, looks like this:

• OCXO-based 10 MHz reference clock ---------- disciplines -----> sCLK-EX''s reference clock ---- drives ------> frequency synthesizer ----> synthesizes 25 MHz ------ over SMB -------> switch

Presumably, the reason we hear an improvement with the above is that the OCXO "goodness" of the reference clock somehow propagates all the way to the switch.

The Linear Solutions approach is different. It is putting the OCXO directly in the switch. It is replacing the generic 25MHz clock in the switch itself with an OCXO 25MHz clock. There is no synthesizer, so the design does not lend itself to an external reference clock. This is a different approach.

Does that make sense?

As for your point about "synchronization." I've reported on this before. Eric and I have done experiments where we constructed chains where all the components were clocked from a single sCLK-EX board (i.e. synchronized), vs. each component with its own sCLK-EX board (i.e. unsynchronized). We heard no difference in SQ between the 2, suggesting no SQ benefit from synchronization. This suggests the improvements come from lowering the phase noise, not necessarily running all components in lock-step.

I hope this clarifies things.

Somehow I missed your findings that synchronization using a master clock doesn't have any impact on SQ.  If this is the case, then neither the Linear Solutions switch, nor any other device would benefit from a master clock for synchronization purposes.  I believe what you heard, but it bypasses conventional wisdom.  I'll have to look for your test.  If this is the case then there is no reason for a master clock if your devices have an OCXO clock or potentially better like caesium or rubidium.  Depending of course whether timing is the factor.  All you are buying with a master clock is the ability to tap into an OCXO for reference, while potentially using a lesser quality clock on the device.

Can you expound on what you understand "discipline" to mean in this context?

Based on what you said, the sCLK would be better with an on board OCXO 10MHz reference, avoiding the need for a master.  Other than having another device to sell, I don't know why SOtM would not do this.