IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

55 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Let's quantify the improvement of a single box solution over a dual box solution as 'delta1'.

The main question is how much your DAC benefits from upsampling. And that might be a pretty tough question to answer. 

But generally speaking, if the benefit of upsampling is more than delta1, then go with a two box solution. If the benefit of upsampling is less than delta1, then go with a single box. 

That seems like simple guidance. However, so few of us know the delta1 that results from a high-quality single box solution as the latter is so difficult and expensive to build.

audio system

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, bodiebill said:
  • Keces P8 19V for the endpoint PC with HDPLex 800W DC-ATX converter
  • Keces P8 9V => LDOVR DXP-1A5DSC (LT3045) => 7.1V for the ISO Regen

Handy that the Keces displays the current drawn.

For my endpoint PC (motherboard + CPU) it never goes above 1.1A.

Motherboard only never above 0.7A.

ISO Regen never above 0.3A.

audio system

10 hours ago, Exocer said:

Back to why I quoted you @bodiebill, do you use the Elfidelity card in the GentooPlayer endpoint? It wasn't plug and play with GentooPlayer (in my setup) and would appreciate any guidance on this topic. Note: I am not externally powering it yet but will soon have a 5v source for it.

Thanks Rob for sharing your build. I do expect that the Elfidelity usb card will make a positive difference once you get it to work.

Indeed I use the card in the GentooPlayer endpoint. It does not really make contact with the PCIe slot (plastic connection), so it cannot get its power from there. When I first installed it I connected it only to the internal usb 3.0 connection as I was going to exclusively use an external PS. However, that did not work. I also had to connect the internal power cable (in my case to the HDPlex 800W DC-ATX) even though I am not using it in the end. After that the USB port and my connected DAC were recognized

Not sure how you set it up, so don't know whether this is of any help.

One quirk with the Elfidelity card is that when I power down the PC, it starts switching like crazy between internal (by then absent) and external PS. So I make a habit of turning off the external PS before PC shutdown.

audio system

7 minutes ago, Exocer said:

Thank you! I appreciate the tip.

I did the same as you, connecting only the internal USB 3.1 Gen 1 connector. That little red light on the rear panel was a bit deceiving.

Cheers.

Yes, here red is always on, green means internal power and yellow shows that external powering is succesful.

Will you let us know how you like the card? I suggest a few days of break in.

audio system

3 minutes ago, Exocer said:

Excellent. I now understand how the lights work (I lost the little paper it comes with in the storm of building the HDPlex case :))

Looking forward to sharing my impressions. I suspect that this USB card will hang around until I can get proper clean power to the server... So several weeks/months.

Do you expect that clean power to the server will make the card redundant? That is not my experience. Even with the best of LPSU's the motherboard appears to add noise that ends up in the stock usb connection.

audio system

11 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Today, after a month of hesitation, I managed to power my Cisco 2960G-8 switch with a 12V LPSU, forgoing the stock SMPS.

Does anyone happen to know whether this Cisco switch would also accept DC voltages higher than 12V directly to the main board?

audio system

9 hours ago, matthias said:

A very good card which is less expensive than the "audiophile" ones, is the Sonnet with ASM3142 chipset:

https://www.sonnettech.com/product/allegro-usbc-pcie.html

It does not look like this card can receive external power, correct?

In my experience 80% of the SQ improvement of audiophile usb cards comes from good external linear power.

audio system

5 minutes ago, matthias said:

Correct, but the price of this card is about 10% of audiophile cards with the same chipset.

Depending on your set-up you can use it with this device

https://www.sonnettech.com/product/echo-express-sel-tb3/overview.html

and power the Echo Express SEL with a HQ 12V/5A LPS.

Matt

Thanks Matt. In that scenario the total price would come close to that of an audiophile card.

The Elfidelity card still seems an interesting option: also 10% of the cost of the audiophile cards, external 5V power and no interaction with the PCIe slot (so no riser card needed in my case). All subject to the perceived SQ improvement of course. And I must admit I have not done comparisons other than to the motherboard's stock usb output. 

audio system

3 hours ago, matthias said:

AFAIK, the Elfidelity card provides only cleaning, removing of noise, injecting of external 5V and needs USB input.

Correct?

So it is barely comparable with an (audiophile) USB card which has its own USB host controller.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I think that is correct.

The effect of the cards is DAC dependant and in my setup the Elfidelity apparently already comes a long way by just removing noise (and not adding significant pollution itself thanks to a good external LPS). This may be because the ISO Regen and Denafrips Terminator together effectively deal with the jitter part.

So I am curious to hear what an expensive card would add to this, but just have not tried yet...

@matthias Did you (or anyone else) compare the Sonnet USB card with an audiophile usb card?

audio system

6 hours ago, lmitche said:

You may want to try a lower voltage like 5 volts. Many of these switches use commodity 12 volts power supplies and then drop the voltage to 3.3 or 5 volts for use internally. I did this recently with a Linksys RE9000 labelled for 12 volts. It works fine and sounds better fed at 5 volt with a two step two amp lt3045 dc to dc regulator.

I do not think that will work with the Cisco 2960G. When I hook up a LPSU lower than 12VC (f.i 9VDC), it does not boot. No lights, no activity.

audio system

7 hours ago, lmitche said:

A bunch of us have been using Startech PEXUSB314A2V USB cards with Intel motherboards since they were first discovered by @rickca almost 3 years ago. They contain Asmedia 1142 chips and work nicely with Startech HDD enclosures using the same chipset. These need to be powered at 12 volts via the Molex or Sata connectors to sound best. They are dual channel cards with a pair of ports on each channel. Using one device on a channel two devices can be configured to run at 10 GPBS (USB 3 gen 2 speeds) each simultaneously. Plug one into a direct to CPU slot and it's a great solution.

The newer AMD motherboards often contain Asmedia 3142 controllers connected via the PCH to the processor. I have one, but don't use it as the processors have onboard USB 3.0 Gen 1 controllers directly on the CPU chip. This mini-SOC solution beats the SQ going through the PCH, so the PCH is disabled entirely.

Thanks Larry. Would you expect any Asmedia 3142 card to perform well SQ-wise when plugged into a CPU PCIe slot? Or should I look for certain brands?

Also, I would have to use a riser card. Would this be detrimental to SQ?

audio system

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

In the end I expect it will benefit from a 12 volt output from a lt3045 chain from Mpaudio, or LDOVR, (DXPWR).

I definitely will try that, using f.i. a 13 or 14VDC LPSU and an MPAudio LT3045 PSU. 

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

I'm not sure how much current it needs. The spec sheet says 11 watts, so 1amp should do it. Likewise LPS1.2 power may be perfect.

Quoting from one of my earlier posts regarding my fanless Cisco 2960G with 8 ports:

"I first checked the current draw with a Keces P8 and it never came above 0.9A with 1 SPF and one RJ-45 connected."

audio system

2 hours ago, lmitche said:

As a rule, I don't like to guess on how equipment is going to sound preferring to hear it with my own ears first. Nevertheless, if I were spend some money to experiment with a new off-the-shelf USB card for an Intel system, I'd look for:

• an Asmedia chip, 1, 2 or 3 generation series with USB 3 gen 2 support
  • 5 or 12 volt power injection through a molex or sata connector
  • and at least two channels at 10gbps each on a single card

The Startech card referenced above ticks all these boxes.

Thanks Larry, I will ponder on it 🙂

You mentioned above that powering (f.i.) the Sonnet card with 12 volts sounds best via the Molex or Sata connectors. Does this mean that all the power for the card comes from there? Or is some of the power drawn from the PCIe connection? Good to know if one aims for a purist (LPSU only) solution...

audio system

9 hours ago, rickca said:

Here is the answer from Startech:

I have heard back from our development team and 3 to 5W will always be drawn from the PCI-e slot when using the PEXUSB314A2V.

I have provided a chart below with further detailed information:

image.png.b2559daa268cbc089a49f45a054504a9.png

Thanks rickca. So it looks like an external PSU (connected via SATA or molex) will take over duty for the 12V rail, which should make a positive difference in terms of electrical noise as this rail has the highest load, correct?

audio system