IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

7 hours ago, Johnseye said:

How can I say this...the sonicTransporter isn't as good as it could be?  I think the hardware side of it is too easily duplicated and not as well designed as the Rendu.

I assume you mean compared to other music servers for local playback. As mentioned in my last post it’s primarily intended for streaming. As a Roon server it exceeds the minimum requirements. Did you know there are a few prebuilt units sold that don’t meet the minimum Roon requirements. There is even one that recently won an award that can’t support a large library and there was no mention of that fact. As for being duplicated...you are correct because they are built mostly with off the shelf parts. Even the ones we use to build can be duplicated, but people still bought them because the didn’t want to tinker. I dont have to tell you how much time and money goes into researching this stuff. 

22 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

The sonicTransporters are designed primarily for streaming so you would not need at JS-2 level power supply with it. comparing for local playback in not really proper. They can play music locally and you can discuss options for that with Andrew at SGC. 

I guess it comes down to benefits of faster i7 processing (for Roon DSP upsampling) vs better power supply with Mac Mini. I will be using this with my Chord DAVE and eventually BlueDAVE, so not sure the processing side matters because any upsampling will be handled with my Chord equipment. As such, I am thinking that the mac mini combo is a better choice because better power supplies can make a real difference. Or am I missing something? 

11 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

I wholeheartedly agree with that suggestion, especially Sonore already worked closely with SolidRun for their Sonicorbiter SE.

As @romaz mentioned recently, all we need is a great carrier board (for their SolidPC Q4) so that everything could be powered directly with dedicated power sources while the excellent LT3045 could be deployed strategically

I want to design my carrier board.

http://forum.solid-run.com/hardware-f39/i-want-to-design-my-carrier-board--t3262.html

https://www.solid-run.com/intel-braswell-family/solidpc-q4-carrier-board/

SolidPC Q4 Carrier Documentation & Block Diagram | SolidRun

https://wiki.solid-run.com/doku.php?id=products:ibx:documents

Tiniest Braswell COM ships, with 4K video, GbE, up to 8GB RAM

http://linuxgizmos.com/tiniest-braswell-module-delivers-the-goods-including-4k-video/

Braswell SOM – System On Module

https://www.solid-run.com/intel-braswell-family/braswell-som-system-on-module/

For the record there was no working closely with SolidRun and you will find those links useless when you really get into it;) We just bought the processor from them for the micro/ultra the rest was mostly up to us. 

Anyway, why go through the expense and time to build a project based on an Atom processor? If all you need is more CPU / RAM we could put a quad core ARM processor with 2x RAM under the hood of an ultraRendu. The design of the ultraRendu main board is already ful linear regulated, but we would need to check all that against the spec of the more powerful module. Not sure what why any of this would be needed though.

5 minutes ago, spotforscott said:

I guess it comes down to benefits of faster i7 processing (for Roon DSP upsampling) vs better power supply with Mac Mini. I will be using this with my Chord DAVE and eventually BlueDAVE, so not sure the processing side matters because any upsampling will be handled with my Chord equipment. As such, I am thinking that the mac mini combo is a better choice because better power supplies can make a real difference. Or am I missing something? 

There is a lot of talk on CA about upsampling, but from customer feedback that I personally receive and obtain through support most people don’t bother with it. The only way to know for sure with your devices is to try it. I would only update the power supply for local playback and not for streaming. 

What about a cloud based PC? Is there anyone that have tried this type of solution for audio?

https://shadow.tech/gben/technology

I am all up in the clouds and IME using a (tweaked out) setup with Aries Mini. FLAC files saved to Google Drive sounds really good controlled via BubbleDS Next/LightningDS platform. My router end almost looks like a power station though! :D 

Anybody knows if a cloud based PC would work with Roon with a Roon-ready end point?

🎛️  Audio System  

3 minutes ago, Cornan said:

What about a cloud based PC? Is there anyone that have tried this type of solution for audio?

https://shadow.tech/gben/technology

I am all up in the clouds and IME using a (tweaked out) setup with Aries Mini. FLAC files saved to Google Drive sounds really good controlled via BubbleDS Next/LightningDS platform. My router end almost looks like a power station though! :D 

The people I interact with are using Tidal if they are streaming from the net.

8 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

The people I interact with are using Tidal if they are streaming from the net.

Me too! Tidal is my main music source, but I just find that cloud saved FLAC sounds really good. So far the music I have got stored on Google Drive is music that is not available on Tidal. I intend to make a direct comparence during the weekend to see if that holds true using the same FLAC album (Mimicking Birds - Layer of Us). In the mean time I am interested to know if anyone else have experiences with cloud saved audio solutions?

🎛️  Audio System  

24 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

There is a lot of talk on CA about upsampling, but from customer feedback that I personally receive and obtain through support most people don’t bother with it. The only way to know for sure with your devices is to try it. I would only update the power supply for local playback and not for streaming. 

For local playback I use a Synology NAS, so isn't the server involved in both streaming and local playback? As you can tell, my technical knowledge is limited. Just trying to figure out best option. I will use all of this with an endpoint like the Rendu or sotm...  thx

5 hours ago, hurka said:

Sparky little hungry and picky ,think the new lps1.2 the best choice.can upsampling amazingly, play via usb3 with externally powered ssd also perfectly.

Will power it with my P Hynes SR4

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

13 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

I have a Supermicro X10SBA-O, which I power with a Mini-box.com picoPSU-150-XT – 150 W DC-DC ATX power supply. It replaces a Gigabyte ga-n3160tn and the Supermicro is clearly better, simply quieter and less glare.

For those considering the X10SBA, it can be quite picky with RAM, so I had to get new RAM rather than use old ones that I still had, adding to the cost.

But I was wondering if it was better to power it with a 12v 4-pin DC connector. Would that be an improvement? And which one should I get? Any suggestions would be helpful.

I do have a dual pc set up with x10 sba board. 

I am using only the 12v connector to power them. 

All the accessories have their own dedicated psu. 

I have been able to power the board with simple 12v 1.8A IFI power psu. 

The results are already very good. 

You want really to avoid the pico psi which is so noisy. 

I used to have a gigabyte set up with 4 battery psu 2 for the CPU and 2 for the pico psu. 

Results were far away for the X10 sba. 

I will later power them with sotm sps 500

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

2 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

I used to have a gigabyte set up with 4 battery psu 2 for the CPU and 2 for the pico psu. 

Try cloud saved files. Don't tell me how it sounds. Tell yourself and others how it compares. But before you do. Upgrade your power supply, regulation and isolation at your router end.

🎛️  Audio System  

Analyze this

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

4 hours ago, tz1963 said:

I have a Supermicro X10SBA-O, which I power with a Mini-box.com picoPSU-150-XT – 150 W DC-DC ATX power supply. It replaces a Gigabyte ga-n3160tn and the Supermicro is clearly better, simply quieter and less glare.

I'd love to understand why the Supermicro board sounds so much better than the Gigabyte.  You are powering the two boards the same way, right?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

56 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

Can you be a bit more specific about how you power the mb and “accessoires”,  I don’t quite understand. Do you mean you power the the entire mb with cpu and drive with just the 12v dc input?

9 hours ago, rickca said:

I'd love to understand why the Supermicro board sounds so much better than the Gigabyte.  You are powering the two boards the same way, right?

I've been powering both with a Keces P8. The Gigabyte was already very good, but I could not get rid of glare in the high notes, for example choral or soprano voices. That has now softened quite a bit.

58 minutes ago, tz1963 said:

I've been powering both with a Keces P8. The Gigabyte was already very good, but I could not get rid of glare in the high notes, for example choral or soprano voices. That has now softened quite a bit.

Thanks for clarifying the nature of the improvement.  I'm curious about what technology difference between the motherboards might account for the improvement.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

21 hours ago, Cornan said:

Me too! Tidal is my main music source, but I just find that cloud saved FLAC sounds really good. So far the music I have got stored on Google Drive is music that is not available on Tidal. I intend to make a direct comparence during the weekend to see if that holds true using the same FLAC album (Mimicking Birds - Layer of Us). In the mean time I am interested to know if anyone else have experiences with cloud saved audio solutions?

BubbleUPnP and the MPD/DLNA output supports this. I hadn’t tried it though. 

21 hours ago, spotforscott said:

For local playback I use a Synology NAS, so isn't the server involved in both streaming and local playback? As you can tell, my technical knowledge is limited. Just trying to figure out best option. I will use all of this with an endpoint like the Rendu or sotm...  thx

It’s a very good server and you might be able to play locally from it. It’s mostly used as a DLNA server though to stream to devices around the house. I run their Synology DiskStation which is there DLNA server and use my ultraRendu in MPD/DLNA output mode. 

16 hours ago, tz1963 said:

For those considering the X10SBA, it can be quite picky with RAM, so I had to get new RAM rather than use old ones that I still had, adding to the cost.

But I was wondering if it was better to power it with a 12v 4-pin DC connector. Would that be an improvement? And which one should I get? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Are you sure you can bypass the ATX power input and only use the 4 pin connector? That 4 pin connector is usually for the processor and typically fed from the Pico. We we use to feed some motherboards via the 4 pin connector, but they did not have ATX power inputs and were intended to use the 4 pin connector or external power via a single pin barrel connector. 

4 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Are you sure you can bypass the ATX power input and only use the 4 pin connector? That 4 pin connector is usually for the processor and typically fed from the Pico. We we use to feed some motherboards via the 4 pin connector, but they did not have ATX power inputs and were intended to use the 4 pin connector or external power via a single pin barrel connector. 

Jesus R, the Supermicro board can be powered from either the 24 pin atx connector, four pin 12 volt connector, or both simultaneously.

Innuous uses a 20 pin 12 volt Pico power supply and the 12 volt 4 pin connector simultaneously powered from two separate 12 lpsus.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

27 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Jesus R, the Supermicro board can be powered from either the 24 pin atx connector, four pin 12 volt connector, or both simultaneously.

Innuous uses a 20 pin 12 volt Pico power supply and the 12 volt 4 pin connector simultaneously powered from two separate 12 lpsus.

That is not what the manual says. It says,

ATX PWR & 12V DC PWR
Connectors (JPW1 & 
PJ1)
The 24-pin ATX power connector
(JPW1) is used to provide power to
the motherboard. The 4-pin 12V DC
PWR connector (PJ1) can also be
used as an optional power source
when ATX power supply is not avail-
able. These power connectors meet
the SSI EPS 12V specification. See
the table on the right for pin defini-
tions”

They also had a similar discussion here

https://superuser.com/questions/722128/can-a-motherboard-work-when-only-supplied-with-atx12v

Basically they could get away with only 12V via 4-pin connector simply because of the Mini ITX form factor. In other words, we couldn't have done that if we're talking about an ATX motherboard.

Furthermore, Supermicro also used the word or as follows

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/celeron/x10/x10sba-l.cfm

10. 12V DC or ATX power source

Finally @jean-michel6 already proved that's accomplished with a single 12V iFi Audio iPower feeding that 4-pin connector ONLY

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?page=244&tab=comments#comment-774699

13 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

Sorry didn’t work the first time

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2