IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

14 minutes ago, tboooe said:

I sure wish Paul Hynes would update his website to provide more information.  I am sure he is getting flooded with inquiries.  Is there a better source for information other than his website?

Yes, I'll share it with you via pm in a bit.

47 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Yes, I'll share it with you via pm in a bit.

??  Private information?  On a manufacturers website?  So strange ;)

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

5 hours ago, rickca said:

Thanks for your answer @romaz.  I was trying to figure out a way to avoid rehosting the sCLK-EX board, but your points are compelling.  I'd feel a lot more comfortable about all this if SOtM was planning to provide service in the USA in the future.

Where are you putting the sCLK-EX board with the clocks for your PC components?

Agreed about service in the USA but it probably won't happen as I think Lee is personally responsible for all the work that is done.  The quality of his workmanship, however, is top rate.  

What SOtM is offering, if you think about it, is revolutionary.  How many audio equipment manufacturers will perform mods like this for you?  It opens up so many unique opportunities.  We now have the ability to convert non-audiophile devices like switches, routers, motherboards, I/O cards, etc. into world-class audiophile devices without having to necessarily pay audiophile prices.  And it's not just about replacing clocks but also replacing noisy switching regulators (for $50 a piece) and adding or upgrading capacitors (for $20 a piece) without ever getting your hands dirtry.  On top of that, all work is guaranteed.

With my motherboard and I/O cards, the clock board will be mounted just adjacent to my motherboard so that I can get by with short (20cm) clock cable lengths.  Here is a photo:

motherboardclock.thumb.png.4fbba2a905e752f38635bf3c71268b4c.png

4 hours ago, rickca said:

A direct comparison of ISO REGEN vs tX-USBultra is still a key thing for me.  

My guess is that people will find that the two will perform very close and one may be better than the other depending on personal tastes and your system's needs.  The fact that John and Alex obtained an eye diagram for the ISO Regen and confirmed the integrity of its USB output says a lot.  People assume their USB output (which includes the integrity of their USB cable) is high quality based on what they hear but to really know that your USB integrity is as good as it can be, you need to get an eye diagram of your USB signal at all the bitrates that you listen to (Redbook and higher) and so in my view, the fact that they have done this is a big deal.  

If price is a high priority, I doubt you can beat the value of the ISO Regen.  If you are looking to clock a stack of components and desire the future option of adding a master clock, then SOtM is your only option.

Regardless of which path you take, I don't see any losers here.

2 hours ago, amir57bs said:

I am going to order one but i told paul to design a better chassis like streacom FC9. my problem is bad looking chassis of SR7

I can say that the SR7 chassis looks much better in person than in photos.  I can also say that I prefer the black anodized chassis more.  Regardless of how it looks, it is a very solidly constructed chassis.

On 6/17/2017 at 9:39 AM, tboooe said:

I sure wish Paul Hynes would update his website to provide more information.  I am sure he is getting flooded with inquiries.  Is there a better source for information other than his website?

Here is what Paul will be posting on his new website.  Based on questions I had regarding an order for another DR SR7, he sent this to me just a few days ago:

Paul Hynes Design

SR Power Supplies

The SR range of high performance power supplies were designed for powering both analogue and digital audio and video equipment. The same proprietary ultra low noise high performance discrete component voltage regulator circuit topology is used in the SR3, SR5 and SR7 power supplies. The SR3 uses a standard 50VA mains transformer, the SR5 uses a custom manufactured 160VA mains transformer and the SR7 uses a custom manufactured 250VA mains transformer. The SR7MR uses a custom manufactured mains transformer with up to 350VA rating depending on the overall rail requirements. The custom manufactured balanced mains transformers use oversized grain orientated silicon steel cores and are wound to avoid core saturation in use, to provide high common mode noise rejection of mains interference and leakage currents, and to operate quietly both electrically and mechanically. Schottky Barrier rectifiers are used throughout the range, as they do not generate reverse recovery transients and their associated harmonic distortions. The rectification is configured in balanced mode to take full advantage of the balanced mains transformers and to enhance common mode rejection of mains noise and leakage currents.

The error amplifier used in the voltage regulator modules has the following specification :-

Noise voltage < 0.5 nanovolts root Hz

Operating Bandwidth > 300 Mhz

Supply line rejection > 80 dB DC to 100 KHz

Output impedance < 3 milliohms DC to 100 KHz

Transient response and settling time < 100 nanoseconds

As the SR3, SR5 and SR7 all use the same high performance regulator circuit topology they all have a similar sonic signature musically. Moving up the range allows better quality lower impedance mains transformers and up-rated rectification and regulator output stage providing a reduction in power supply output impedance, which in turn reduces interaction with the load. The increased energy storage capacitor bank also reduces rectifier ripple noise and RFI break through from the mains supply. Another benefit of the increased energy storage capacitance is with transient response and settling time. The net effect musically is to provide progressively larger, more stable and more robust soundstage particularly where large dynamic load current swings occur, as well as a lower noise floor and improved timbre and temporal accuracy.

These power supplies are available with fixed voltage output from 1.6v to 30v or variable voltage output with a 10 volt span on voltage setting, within this range, using the precision adjustment potentiometer internally situated on the regulator module.

Continuous power output ratings – For fixed output voltage versions the SR3 provides 25W, the SR5 provides 80W and the SR7 provides 125W and the SR7MR chassis can support up to 175W spread across the rails. The SR5 can support one 6A module and the SR7 can support one 10A module. The output voltage and output current can be specified within this power rating using the formulae :-

V = W/I

I = W/V

Where V is output voltage, W is the available power in Watts and I is the output current in Amps.

If you require help with power supply specification I will be pleased to help you.

For variable output voltage versions of the power supplies, set at the maximum output voltage of the range, the SR3 provides 25W, the SR5 provides 80W and the SR7 provides 125W. Lower voltage settings than maximum will increase the voltage across the regulator output device, which will increase the heat generated in this device. To maintain safe operating temperatures and long term reliability the current rating should be de-rated by 8% per volt when reducing the output voltage level on variable output voltage versions.

The SR5 and SR7 power supplies are available in Multirail versions SR5MR and SR7MR with galvanic isolation between the supply rails to avoid ground return current intermodulation (ground loops) where more than one item of equipment is powered from the same power supply. The SR5MR can support one 6A regulator module and one 3A regulator module or two 3A modules. The SR7MR can support one 10A module and up to two additional 3A modules or a 6A module and up to three additional 3A modules.

XL ultra low impedance (< 1 milliohm) connectors and fine silver internal DC wiring between modules and the output connectors, can be fitted to the SR3, SR5 and SR7 power supplies.

The SR3, SR5 and SR7 single rail supplies are also available in DR versions where two of the high performance voltage regulators are cascaded to a give supply line and rectification interference rejection exceeding 150 dB from DC to 100 KHz. This provides lower overall noise levels than the standard power supplies and better dynamic performance. The SR3DR, SR5DR and SR7DR can support one DR rail and the SR7DRMR2 (four regulator modules in total) can support two DR rails in the SR7MR4 chassis.

Power supply dimensions are :-

SR3 – W = 110mm, H = 50mm, D = 170mm

SR5 – W = 224mm, H = 90mm, D = 260mm

SR7, SR7MR2, SR7MR3 – W = 224mm, H = 130mm, D = 260mm

SR7MR4 – W = 224mm, H = 130mm, D = 340mm

Current Prices 08/06/17

SR3                £300

SR3XL          £340

SR3DR          £500

SR5                £600

SR5XL           £678

SR5DR           £800

SR5DRXL      £885

SR5MR2        £800

SR5MR2XL   £970

SR7                   £750

SR7XL              £870

SR7DR              £950

SR7DRXL         £1080

SR7DRMR2      £1150

SR7DRMR2XL £1480

SR7MR2            £950

SR7MR2XL       £1190

SR7MR3            £1150

SR7MR3XL      £1510

SR7MR4           £1350

SR7MR4XL      £1830

Paul Hynes Design

DC leads for PHD power supplies.

Current Prices 08/06/17

All prices are for 1 metre lengths with a Switchcraft DC plug. Alternative lengths and connectors can be quoted for if required. Cable impedance reduces with higher current rating. XL ultra low impedance (< 1 milliohm) connectors can be fitted to the SR5 and SR7 DC Leads.

3A current rating :-

DC3C annealed copper with Teflon insulation                         £050

DC3FS annealed fine silver with Teflon insulation                  £085

DC3FSXL annealed fine silver with Teflon insulation             £125

6A current rating :-

DC6C annealed copper with Teflon insulation                         £075

DC6FS annealed fine silver with Teflon insulation                  £145

DC6FSXL annealed fine silver with Teflon insulation             £186

10A current rating :-

DC10C annealed copper with Teflon insulation                       £100

DC10FS annealed fine silver with Teflon insulation                £229

DC10FSXL annealed fine silver with Teflon insulation           £270

Current ordering information (01/06/17)

Insured carriage and packing costs will be quoted once the order specification is finalised, as this depends on parcel weight, size, total value and destination. Please supply a shipping address so I can get a quote from our parcel carriers.

Please note that you are responsible for any sales and import taxes that your country imposes. I am not prepared to under value shipment documentation.

All products are currently built to order. Orders are placed in the build schedule on receipt of cleared funds. The build schedule lead-time from order placement to shipping is currently estimated at approximately 15 to 20 working days for SR3 power supplies and 50 to 60 working days for SR5 and SR7 power supplies. Lead time are dynamic and can vary from day to day due to orders being added to the build schedule as they occur. Working days are Monday to Friday excluding national and personal holidays. Circumstances beyond my control, such as component sourcing problems and absence from work due to illness can affect lead times.

Payment can be via PayPal by sending funds, with 4.5 % added to cover the Paypal fees, to [email protected] in GBP. My paypal account is a business account and I cannot accept payment as friends/family. Please remember to include details of what you are ordering and ensure that a delivery address is also included. Alternatively I can send you a Paypal invoice that you can pay via a Paypal account or by credit or debit card.

Another alternative can be by bank transfer, which is usually free in the UK. For international bank transfers add £6 for the Barclays International payment processing fee. The bank collection account details are :-

Barclays Bank PLC

Penrith Branch

Sort Code : 

Account name :

Account number :

IBAN

SWIFTBIC 

My worldwide guarantee covers parts and labour for three years from receipt of goods, subject to correct application, and is transferable should you decide to re-sell at a later date.

If I can be of further help let me know.

Regards

Paul

1 hour ago, romaz said:

Here is what Paul will be posting on his new website.  Based on questions I had regarding an order for another DR SR7, he sent this to me just a few days ago:

No need for me to pm anyone now, Roy's covered it in this last post. Might want to consider pulling his account info.  While it's essentially one of his methods of payment and common knowledge to his customers, he may not want it on a public website.  I could be wrong though.

1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

No need for me to pm anyone now, Roy's covered it in this last post. Might want to consider pulling his account info.  While it's essentially one of his methods of payment and common knowledge to his customers, he may not want it on a public website.  I could be wrong though.

In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have included certain information although it doesn't appear I can edit my post.  I obviously just cut and paste what he sent me without trying to edit it although he told me this document will be going on his new website so it doesn't appear he intended for this information to be private.

16 minutes ago, Superdad said:

And if our piece--with its galvanic isolation and USPCB for direct placement at the DAC--comes out equal or on top, will you guys complain if I triple the price to match at $990? x-D

We'll just buy more of them and you'll expand your customer base if you keep your price reasonable. 

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

And if our piece--with its galvanic isolation and USPCB for direct placement at the DAC--comes out equal or on top, will you guys complain if I triple the price to match at $990? x-D

You still have to add 3 clock outputs available for it to be competitive :D.

10 hours ago, romaz said:

I can say that the SR7 chassis looks much better in person than in photos.  I can also say that I prefer the black anodized chassis more.  Regardless of how it looks, it is a very solidly constructed chassis.

yesterday Paul had Good news to me, he is using FC9 chassis for my order.

i am very happy .

I ordered SR7DRMR2XL £1480

12v 10A

5v 6A

5 minutes ago, amir57bs said:

i am very happy .

12v 10A

5v 6A

Congratulations.  The FC9 is a wonderful (and very attractive) chassis.  I am using it for my new server.

12 hours ago, Superdad said:

I just want to compare the sCLK-EX to the Crystek 575 in the simplest possible way, without the complications of an SOtM modded switch or multiple reclocking devices in the chain.  

The SOtM pricing makes no sense unless you utilize all 4 clocks on their sCLK-EX board, and then you have several interdependent components because of the shared board.

I'm very happy with my ISO REGEN/LPS-1. 

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

10 hours ago, amir57bs said:

i am very happy .

12v 10A

5v 6A

Sounds good, it shall be interesting to compare performance when I receive my SR7MR4 all 12V, this summer. 

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Just curious, does having a 2 rail setup a compromise of any sort way on say a SR7?

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.