IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

1 minute ago, AmusedToD said:

The sms200ultra gives you the same benefit of reclocking external devices (2 devices max), as I posted above. Confirmed by SOTM. But you get away with only one expensive linear PSU, and you get a single box solution.

So no other differences between the standard and ultra 200 besides the clocks?

Please clarify.  I can use the sms200 ultra has 2 extra clocks and SOtM will modify other devices using it?  Sorry I missed the full impact of that in your previous post.

2 minutes ago, tims said:

Did you discuss how much extra it would cost to get the sms200Ultra modded to support up to two external devices?

I didn't discuss the financial part with them, but it's probably around $200 as previously reported by the members that already did the mods. Mr. Lee said they would need some 4-5 days to complete the mods, but info about the specific devices (routers/switches) to be modded should be sent to SOTM prior to shipping. Perhaps it's easier for them to take a switch of their choice, so you just send them your Ultra and receive the modded Ultra and the modded switch back.

5 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

So no other differences between the standard and ultra 200 besides the clocks?

Please clarify.  I can use the sms200 ultra has 2 extra clocks and SOtM will modify other devices using it?  Sorry I missed the full impact of that in your previous post.

No other differences apart from the superior clocks in the sms200ultra and the slightly longer case (all black).

We this bloody well just made me question my tx-USBultra order. Can anyone explain the benefit of sticking with a sMS-200 and tx-USBultra setup? May said they are planning an upgrade path to the sMS-200ultra for folks with the sMS-200. I had thought maybe it'd be convienient to have the two USB outputs on the tx-USBultra, but sounds like they are recommending you use one or the other.

21 minutes ago, guerph said:

We this bloody well just made me question my tx-USBultra order.

Well, I think it's a good choice if you have the required linear PSU's for the txUSBUltra and intend to use its clocks with other devices as well. Mr. Lee said that sms200 plus txUSBUltra combo benefits from double filtration, because the txUSBUltra receives relatively clean signal for reclocking in such scenario.

From my point of view, the cost of an additional PSU for the txUSBUltra and a good USB cable between the sms200 and the txUSBUltra is too much and I don't think the difference in SQ would be worth the $700 in price difference, but it will most certainly be better sounding. By how much - I can't say, neither could Mr. Lee as he didn't do a comparative test, but the logic implies it should sound better than just the sms200Ultra. If you have the cash, then I say - go for it.

1 hour ago, AmusedToD said:

The good thing is that the superior clock that can be found in the txUSBultra is also used in the sms200Ultra, and the sms200Ultra can be modified in a way to support up to 2 external devices (for example a switch and a router). So one can send his/her sms200Ultra and his router/switch to SOTM for them to make the mods.

So the 4 clocks that are in tX-USBultra today are in also in sMS-200Ultra?

1 minute ago, TopQuark said:

This is great. I can't wait to hear more and when.  I hope this happens right after Munich.

From May,

Actually we are planning to run the promotion event to update the sMS-200 to the sMS-200ultra for whom owns the sMS-200 currently. The final plan hasn’t been completed yet, but it would be like that SOtM would compensate some amount of money if you buy the sMS-200ultra and your sMS-200 should be shipped to us.
I will post and update the news once we confirm the plan, it would be available after Munich show I think.

45 minutes ago, guerph said:

We this bloody well just made me question my tx-USBultra order.

2 minutes ago, TopQuark said:

This is great. I can't wait to hear more and when.  I hope this happens right after Munich.

She mentioned this was a consideration when I asked a couple months ago, but I hadn't heard anything since.  This is good news.  Hopefully it's an upgrade path that includes an extra clock or two.

2 minutes ago, guerph said:

From May,

Actually we are planning to run the promotion event to update the sMS-200 to the sMS-200ultra for whom owns the sMS-200 currently. The final plan hasn’t been completed yet, but it would be like that SOtM would compensate some amount of money if you buy the sMS-200ultra and your sMS-200 should be shipped to us.
I will post and update the news once we confirm the plan, it would be available after Munich show I think.

Perfect, in that case I won't need to sell my SMS-200 (I just bought the sms200Ultra and now have both), I should just send it over to SOTM and receive a cashback of some sort, right? But the question is - what is the amount of the cashback?

38 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

Perfect, in that case I won't need to sell my SMS-200 (I just bought the sms200Ultra and now have both), I should just send it over to SOTM and receive a cashback of some sort, right? But the question is - what is the amount of the cashback?

...and should also happen soon before the 10% off expires.

It would be nice if SOtM ships a package that includes the switch mod with switch sourced by them and sMS-200Ultra with all the clock cables in between.

SOtM, May?, your turn...

36 minutes ago, guerph said:

Can someone help explain the clock situation? I haven't had time to read through the whole thread. Are there redundant clocks built into the tx-USBultra?? Please dumb it down for me if possible :/

The board in the tx, which can also be bought separately, is the sCLK-EX. This has 4 clocks. 1 is used for the tx, leaving 3 for other uses. Cables are run from the tx (sCLK-EX) to other devices. How this works exactly I don't know.

I guess it's cheaper for them to use the sCLK-EX with 4 clocks than design a 1 clock board. Or a 2 clock board for the SMS ultra. Maybe there's more to it than just the clock. Maybe there's something to connecting them in a master slave config. Lots of unknowns. 

4 minutes ago, pam1975 said:

thanks @romaz do you believe the sound quality improvement between the 12V version and the standard version for sMS-200 ultra would be significant or rather marginal?

It obviously has a direct impact on the PSU price at 12V...

Marginal.

What about the finding of removing the regulator board on the sms-200 being noisy and by removing it and injecting 5V direct it improved SQ??

Also the X factors on the direct USB connection of Txusb card and tXUSB Ultra would be the two motherboard clocks modded for sCLK EX clocks, all tied in together.  I'm going to focus on this route.

Good to hear from the horses mouth over there, great work Roy.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Just to clarify so that my intentions aren't misinterpreted, I don't think going the Adnaco route or fiber in general is a bad thing.  My ears clearly tell me it's not...unless you plan to change clocks before your fiber because then, fiber may potentially seriously undo what you were intending to do with those clocks.  If you have no intentions of changing motherboard clocks or if you are forced into using a noisy server because of a need to upsample, I think the Adnaco especially is a good option and part of me is till tempted to give it a go.  

I did mean what I said when I said that the combination of Adnaco + tX Ultra was magical but like with all things, you sometimes don't know how something could possibly sound better until you that something better comes along and it nearly knocks you off of your chair.  When I directly compared the tX Ultra against the sMS-200ultra via direct connection, all I could think of was how intoxicatingly more alive the music sounded because of the air around voices and around instruments.  Once the switch was added to the sMS-200ultra, the difference was just too great to ignore and so I can only imagine how much more open things could sound if all the bad clocks were removed.  For some, however, they may value the greater tonal weight that the Adnaco provides and the increased air that the tX Ultra brings after it could be more than enough.  This really will come down to personal preference and there's no right or wrong.

13 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

What about the finding of removing the regulator board on the sms-200 being noisy and by removing it and injecting 5V direct it improved SQ??

Also the X factors on the direct USB connection of Txusb card and tXUSB Ultra would be the two motherboard clocks modded for sCLK EX clocks, all tied in together.  I'm going to focus on this route.

Good to hear from the horses mouth over there, great work Roy.

I'll ask Lee today but I have a feeling I know what he's going to say, that he hasn't tried it so he won't know.  Regulators are obviously essential to tight voltage control.  If they're not in a component, then they're in the PSU and so if you're going to go straight 5V, it's important that the 5V regulator in your PSU is better than the regulator in the SOtM unit that you want to replace.  If someone is hearing an improvement, then that's probably the case.

Regardless, bear in mind that neither the sMS-200 or tX are purely 5V devices.  They also contain 3.3V and 1.5V (or less) regulators and so if you're going to go to infinity and beyond, you would want to bypass all regulators and use a multi-rail PSU with superior regulators but at considerably greater cost.  Assuming that Paul's regulators are superior, what might make more sense is to replace all of SOtMs regulators with Hynes regulators but as Paul has been sharing with me, it's not always easy to do it since his regulator designs have robust requirements.

4 hours ago, romaz said:

I asked both May and Lee which would sound better:  SOtM USB card with sCLK-EX + tX-USBultra vs sMS-200 modded to Ultra status + tX-USBultra?  Neither are sure as they haven't done this testing.  My guess is an sMS-200ultra + tX-USBultra would have the greater potential with the X-factors being the "direct connection" path, the switch that you can throw in for very little money plus that fact that you have the option of using a pair of dCBL-CAT7s.

I recommend you to try purist audio anniversary usb cable . It is far better than curious/audioquest diamond/acoustic revive .I think it may change your idea about using sotm usb card vs sotm sms-200.

i guess the best way is pcie usb card plus good psu.

12 minutes ago, amir57bs said:

I recommend you to try purist audio anniversary usb cable . It is far better than curious/audioquest diamond/acoustic revive .I think it may change your idea about using sotm usb card vs sotm sms-200.

i guess the best way is pcie usb card plus good psu.

Color the problem with a USB cable?  That's just as bad as the highly expensive Ethernet cables.  In my opinion, it's not a solution.

We have yet to hear an updated server mobo with clean power and clocks, may be yet a simple well sounding solution with tXBexpusb card and tXUSBultra, using all 4 clocks. 

It's going to be tough to beat a renderer.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

13 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Color the problem with a USB cable?  That's just as bad as the highly expensive Ethernet cables.  In my opinion, it's not a solution.

We have yet to hear an updated server mobo with clean power and clocks, may be yet a simple well sounding solution with tXBexpusb card and tXUSBultra, using all 4 clocks. 

It's going to be tough to beat a renderer.

Usb cable in my idea is very very important .

overally if you like emotional sound (true tone plus good micro dynamic) i think combination of gordon rankin codes plus purist cable is very good.

i do not like ultra smooth and clean sound of many systems , i prefer emotional sound .

i think ethernet renderer may give you ultra clean ultra smooth ultra low noise sound but i prefer intimate sound of pcie usb card with AS gordon rankin codes.

the best way to get emotional sound is to keep the way minimal.

adding reclockers or ethernet devices like microrendu add complexity of streaming data transfer and it will degrade intimacy of sound.