IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

23 minutes ago, romaz said:

Yes, this is a crazy set of experiments, especially when what I have already is sounding so spectacularly good but because several within my local audiophile society have been involved with my experimentation from the beginning and are intrigued by what these fiber options might provide, we have decided to pool our resources to fund all of this testing.  While I cannot say enough good things about the sMS-200 Ultra (thus far, the very best endpoint I have yet heard), the dX-USB HD Ultra (thus far, the very best USB-to-SPDIF converter I have heard) and this reclocking switch that has proven to be an uber bargain, ultimately, I am bothered that SOtM's dCBL-CAT7 Ethernet cables can still make such a huge difference.  My guess is that there still even more noise in the line that can be removed and an optimized fiber solution may hold the key.

Dayumn! 

I'm in awe of all this stuff you're exploring!!

2 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Isn't the sMS-200 Ultra that superior endpoint?  An NAA with best of class DDC USB clock?  I just don't follow why a DDC like the dx-USB HD Ultra would need to follow the sMS-200 Ultra.  Unless the clocks are better in the dx-USB HD, then why wouldn't the best clocks available be used in the sMS-200 Ultra?

Thus far, the smS-200 Ultra is the best I've heard but there's also no question in my mind that the addition of the reclocking switch and dX-USB HD Ultra are better than the sMS-200 Ultra by itself even though each component is using the exact same clock.  I have already provided my speculations on why this is the case but in the end, they represent only my conjecture.  For those that are happy with a single reclocking, then don't look further and save yourself the money but for those looking to maximize the impact of an sMS-200 Ultra, send SOtM a cheap switch and have them reclock it using one of the unused clocks from the Ultra and see your SQ improvement almost double.

If you take this process from a minimalist perspective, if you are powering your PC/server (all clocks replaced with the best available) with the SR7 then wouldn't a direct connection to the DAC be the cleanest, simplest solution?  What is being gained with each device added?

If you replace all the bad motherboard clocks that are in the signal path, perhaps you gain nothing with these extra devices and I will be able to answer this question for myself soon enough.  My gut tells me, however, that having at least one reclocking device after the server will add further improvement and this is because a heavy weight server can never be as electrically quiet or as low impedance as a lightweight endpoint.

Why would it matter if it's an NAA endpoint or DDC?

NAA is a form of DDC.  I think the prevailing thought by many is that Ethernet is the best of all the "D"s.  I'm no longer sure that's the case.

With regards to ethernet cables, this is a huge can of worms.  There is an ongoing debate in the Suggestion: Ban all cable debates thread (don't go there if you can help it) which gets into the question of validity. A lot of the discussion is around scientific method and ABX testing which is why I hesitate in using subjective terms to describe sonic improvements.

If the world tells you it's impossible and yet your ears consistently hear it, what should you do?  If the world tells you that a certain component will improve SQ and yet you can't hear a difference, what should you do?  I think that in all instances, you go by what your ears tell you.  Go ahead and hop onto the ASR site and see how delusional those guys think we are with our microRendus and USB Regens based on their measurements suggesting we should hear no difference at all.  Then look at all the 1s and 0s types who think that all digital sounds the same.  I have learned long ago to approach audio empirically.  To this day, I can't explain to you why this direct way of connecting your server to an sMS-200 or mR should sound better and yet to my ears, it does.

6 minutes ago, romaz said:

Thus far, the smS-200 Ultra is the best I've heard but there's also no question in my mind that the addition of the reclocking switch and dX-USB HD Ultra are better than the sMS-200 Ultra by itself even though each component is using the exact same clock.  I have already provided my speculations on why this is the case but in the end, they represent only my conjecture.  For those that are happy with a single reclocking, then don't look further and save yourself the money but for those looking to maximize the impact of an sMS-200 Ultra, send SOtM a cheap switch and have them reclock it using one of the unused clocks from the Ultra and see your SQ improvement almost double.

Same clocks but a double or reclock of it improves the sound.  I must have missed your conjecture.  What if you put another dx-USB HD Ultra after that one?  Or a Regen, and another.  At some point wouldn't the return diminish?  What about multiple clocks in succession on the same board?

If you replace all the bad motherboard clocks that are in the signal path, perhaps you gain nothing with these extra devices and I will be able to answer this question for myself soon enough.  My gut tells me, however, that having at least one reclocking device after the server will add further improvement and this is because a heavy weight server can never be as electrically quiet or as low impedance as a lightweight endpoint.

My thoughts as well.  The noise generated from the PC itself despite efforts to minimize power input noise will still require filtering.

NAA is a form of DDC.  I think the prevailing thought by many is that Ethernet is the best of all the "D"s.  I'm no longer sure that's the case.

Right.  I was differentiating NAA as including an endpoint for applications vs. a DDC that is a reclocker or isolator only.  Have you tried I2S?

If the world tells you it's impossible and yet your ears consistently hear it, what should you do?  If the world tells you that a certain component will improve SQ and yet you can't hear a difference, what should you do?  I think that in all instances, you go by what your ears tell you.  Go ahead and hop onto the ASR site and see how delusional those guys think we are with our microRendus and USB Regens based on their measurements suggesting we should hear no difference at all.  Then look at all the 1s and 0s types who think that all digital sounds the same.  I have learned long ago to approach audio empirically.  To this day, I can't explain to you why this direct way of connecting your server to an sMS-200 or mR should sound better and yet to my ears, it does.

It is exciting, and a little addicting to be experimenting and discovering.  I'm a realist and rely on reason, but don't deny what my ears tell me provided it's consistent.  I've been to ASR.  Those guys are pessimists but they raise good points.  Either they're scientists or try to be, but the problem with that is if it can't be proven it doesn't exist.  It's yin and yang and always in flux as we continue to experiment and learn.  One day what we're discovering now will all make sense from a scientific point of view.  It has to, we just don't understand it yet.

3 hours ago, romaz said:

Based on @lmitche's strong endorsement of the Adnaco S3B a while back, along with another friend, I have indeed been exploring this unit.  Obviously, what is intriguing about the Adnaco solution is it utilizes fiber and based on theory, there should be no better way to provide complete galvanic isolation since fiber carries zero DC.  Despite quite a bit of reading, it remains unclear to me how fiber transmission at 101MHz impacts signal integrity, especially from the standpoint of jitter but based on the rave reviews by some including Larry, I felt it worthwhile to look into it.  Having had lengthy communication with Adnaco, they have been extremely helpful and so we are now in the process of purchasing one for modification and comparison testing.

This unit consists of a PCIe card that converts a PCIe data stream to a fiber stream and in the process, this card performs one reclocking using a 101MHz clock.  A standard fiber cable then connects this card to an outboard fiber-to-USB 3.0 hub and It turns out this receiver module uses another 101MHz clock to re-time the incoming fiber signal and then a 24MHz clock to re-time it a 3rd time as the signal is converted to USB.  From my standpoint, the opportunity for 3 reclockings at strategic points could make this unit an ideal endpoint.  Moreover, there are no inaccessible subclocks that I need to worry about.

The USB 3.0 host controller used is the Texas Instruments TSUB7320, which I believe is the same host controller SOtM uses.  The receiver module is a very straightforward design that uses only 2 switching regulators -- 3.3V @1A and 1.1V @1A with an input voltage of 5V.  While 3.3V @1A will consume potentially 3.3 watts which equates to a fair amount of heat, Adnaco tells me the draw is more typically around 500mA at 3.3V and so converting to linear regulators should be no problem with the use of appropriately sized heat sinks.  Just to make sure heat isn't an issue, we plan to order this receiver board without an enclosure and will find a suitable larger enclosure at a later time.  Now if I can only convince @paulhynes to provide us a pair of his linear regulators to replace the two that come on this board, I think that in theory, this could prove to be a superb endpoint, maybe the best one yet.

Oh wow, just when I thought you we're turning off the light, you threw the flood light switch on.  I really think your on to something here with the Adnaco, fiber and clocking.  This could be the simplest solution by far, component and software wise.  All that one would need is an Adnaco modified, s-clk ex board mounted in PC chasis, two LPS-1's or single Paul Hynes, 3 of the clocks would run to the Adnaco, 1 clock to the motherboard.  Direct USB adapter to DAC.  DONE

I am really excited to hear these results.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

10 hours ago, romaz said:

The USB 3.0 host controller used is the Texas Instruments TSUB7320, which I believe is the same host controller SOtM uses.  The receiver module is a very straightforward design that uses only 2 switching regulators -- 3.3V @1A and 1.1V @1A with an input voltage of 5V.  While 3.3V @1A will consume potentially 3.3 watts which equates to a fair amount of heat, Adnaco tells me the draw is more typically around 500mA at 3.3V and so converting to linear regulators should be no problem with the use of appropriately sized heat sinks.  Just to make sure heat isn't an issue, we plan to order this receiver board without an enclosure and will find a suitable larger enclosure at a later time.  Now if I can only convince @paulhynes to provide us a pair of his linear regulators to replace the two that come on this board, I think that in theory, this could prove to be a superb endpoint, maybe the best one yet.

Most likely TSUB7320 should work under Linux with ARM processors such as i.MX6 so it would be quite a bit fun to try Adnaco-S3B with an Ethernet endpoint like HummingBoard-Pro

http://www.bplustech.com/Adapter/PM2H.html
http://www.bplustech.com/PDF/PM2H_brief.pdf

XoamdAm.jpg

https://www.solid-run.com/product/hummingboard-carrier-pro/

https://www.solid-run.com/freescale-imx6-family/hummingboard/hummingboard-specifications/

v8SMSHd.jpg

HummingBoard-Pro should be fine with 5V and maybe we could get away with LPS-1 when the power consumption of i.MX6 Solo is low enough. Though it's somewhat tricky to power PM2H since it does require both 5V and 12V.

14 hours ago, austinpop said:
  1. tX-USBultra
  2. sMS-200 with sCLK-EX mod
  3. Zyxel switch with sCLK-EX mod

It'll take me a few days to get my head around all this, but once I've verified everything is working, I will be back shortly with a post that describes my planned experiments.

I'm very much looking forward to your findings, Rajiv.

14 hours ago, austinpop said:

One question: did you find the symmetry important? I think you compared:

• dCBL-CAT6 > iSO-CAT 6 > dCBL-CAT6

with

• dCBL-CAT7 > iSO-CAT 6 > dCBL-CAT7, correct?

Did you try any of these combos:

• dCBL-CAT6 > iSO-CAT 6 > dCBL-CAT7, or
  • BJC CAT6a > iSO-CAT 6 > dCBL-CAT7?

Just curious if the principle of "nearest to the audio end" concept matter, and if there is a lower cost option to springing for 2 of these expensive cables.

I tried many of the combinations you suggested.  Two dCBL-CAT7s always sounded better than just one and the improvement is instantly evident with almost any type of music.  Along with 2 other friends, we did some blind testing which really was never necessary as the differences were stark.  Regardless, each of us, when blinded. were able to pick out the dCBL-CAT7s correctly 100% of the time.  Golden ear not required.

Whether I had the pair of dCBL-CAT7A directly before the switch or directly before the sMS-200 Ultra didn't seem to matter that much.  As I substituted one of the dCBL-CAT7s with either a BJC CAT6A, dCBL-CAT6 or Supra CAT8, the soundstage flattened each time. There were distinct individual differences among the other Ethernet cables (BJC CAT6A, dCBL-CAT6, Supra CAT8) but for the most part, they sounded more alike then they did different which is why I never cared that much which of these cables I had in the chain although for those looking to tune their sound, the Supra CAT8 is a standout as it has a slightly warm and silky smooth presentation (almost like tubes).  Very engaging even if it is at the compromise of depth.  Ethernet cables can definitely be used for tuning within this "direct pathway."

1 hour ago, seeteeyou said:

Most likely TSUB7320 should work under Linux with ARM processors such as i.MX6 so it would be quite a bit fun to try Adnaco-S3B with an Ethernet endpoint like HummingBoard-Pro

http://www.bplustech.com/Adapter/PM2H.html
http://www.bplustech.com/PDF/PM2H_brief.pdf

XoamdAm.jpg

https://www.solid-run.com/product/hummingboard-carrier-pro/

https://www.solid-run.com/freescale-imx6-family/hummingboard/hummingboard-specifications/

v8SMSHd.jpg

HummingBoard-Pro should be fine with 5V and maybe we could get away with LPS-1 when the power consumption of i.MX6 Solo is low enough. Though it's somewhat tricky to power PM2H since it does require both 5V and 12V.

If you decide to try it, let us know what you think.  My ideal scenario would be to have a single endpoint that does it all, if possible.

8 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Oh wow, just when I thought you we're turning off the light, you threw the flood light switch on.  I really think your on to something here with the Adnaco, fiber and clocking.  This could be the simplest solution by far, component and software wise.  All that one would need is an Adnaco modified, s-clk ex board mounted in PC chasis, two LPS-1's or single Paul Hynes, 3 of the clocks would run to the Adnaco, 1 clock to the motherboard.  Direct USB adapter to DAC.  DONE

I am really excited to hear these results.

If it turns out to sound as good as the other endpoint solutions, direct USB certainly has its allure from the standpoint of broad compatibility, at least if you are a Windows or Mac user.  I enjoy streaming from Tidal via Roon which all my current endpoints can do but as Spotify (with its much larger library) and Pandora have both announced they will be offering lossless CD-quality streaming soon and possibly for less money, it would be nice to be able play anything and everything without having to resort to Shareport, which doesn't sound as good to me.

I keep wondering why Jesus and John Swenson didn't recommend this 'direct path' from the beginning rather than advising users to connect the micro rendu to their router.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

On 5/2/2017 at 11:13 PM, hols said:

Finally I returned to using the Ultracap but this time using a Teradak Linear power supply(12V 5A) instead of the iPower (12V 2A)charging the Ultracap and now it works without any more hiccup and the sound is just heavenly.  In my system it becomes a must. I am not sure whether any other user has this experience of not enough current for the Ultracap or not . What I described seems to be a viable solution.

I must make some correction here as to the use of Ultracap lps-1 to power the SOtM tx-USBUltra. Initially I thought it was the iPower charging not fast enough that caused the USBUltra to stop functioning but after 2 more days of running the USBUltra using Teradak to charge the Ultracap it turns out that the USBUltra also stops working several times. No pattern could be traced. It happens in Linux system or Windows10 system. It occurs both in light loads like chamber music or in heavy loads like orchestral pieces. So it is more likely that the USBUltra actually requires a current higher than 1.2A momentarily now and then so much so that the Ultracap lps-1 stops providing current and caused the USBUltra to stop. So I have to reset the system by pulling off the USB cable and reconnect. But frankly speaking the sound is so great that even though this might be a bit disturbing at times it is still worth it. Alternatively one would have to think about using a Vinnie rossi (can also deal with leaking current) or Paul Hynes power supply(well optimised and galvanically isolated) for it.

13 hours ago, romaz said:

Based on @lmitche's strong endorsement of the Adnaco S3B a while back, along with another friend, I have indeed been exploring this unit.  Obviously, what is intriguing about the Adnaco solution is it utilizes fiber and based on theory, there should be no better way to provide complete galvanic isolation since fiber carries zero DC.  Despite quite a bit of reading, it remains unclear to me how fiber transmission at 101MHz impacts signal integrity, especially from the standpoint of jitter but based on the rave reviews by some including Larry, I felt it worthwhile to look into it.  Having had lengthy communication with Adnaco, they have been extremely helpful and so we are now in the process of purchasing one for modification and comparison testing.

It's great that you experiment with the Adnaco too. We have used the Adnaco 5 years or so ago and was probably the first few audiophiles who used Adnaco for electrical isolation. At that time we used RME soundcard on the PCIe  slots and the result is very impressive. Single mode fibre system sounded better than multi mode fibres (This is a bit different from the observations in the other users of FMCs  here in CA) and good optical fibres also give better results. We have also tried USB cards on PCIe slots but it does not always work especially with USB3. This might be related to compatibility issues of the USB card with Linux. It would be interesting to learn the results of your experiments.

17 hours ago, romaz said:

Based on @lmitche's strong endorsement of the Adnaco S3B a while back, along with another friend, I have indeed been exploring this unit.  Obviously, what is intriguing about the Adnaco solution is it utilizes fiber and based on theory, there should be no better way to provide complete galvanic isolation since fiber carries zero DC.  

Thank you for reminding me about this.  I've been toying with the idea of trying this out as basically an NAA.  In my mind, it would seem the Adnaco should in theory have less noise and overall less processing "stuff" going on than the Server R2 based i3 mini pc I am currently using.  My main concern was not understanding what was happening when data was sent from the pcie card through the usb endpoint.  Your investigation definitely seems to support the notion that the Adnaco should be much less noisy using a PC as an NAA.  

So my only remaining question is if using an IsoRegen after an NAA levels the playing field for everything immediately upstream of it (PC based NAA, Adnaco, Rpi, Microrendu, SMS200, etc)?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

4 hours ago, hols said:

It's great that you experiment with the Adnaco too. We have used the Adnaco 5 years or so ago and was probably the first few audiophiles who used Adnaco for electrical isolation.

Why did you go away from Adnaco and what have you now found in 5 years to be better (latest setup notwithstanding)?

6 hours ago, hols said:

So it is more likely that the USBUltra actually requires a current higher than 1.2A momentarily now and then so much so that the Ultracap lps-1 stops providing current and caused the USBUltra to stop. 

Does the LED on the LPS-1 turn red when USBUltra stops functioning?  I believe the LED changes to red when there's too great a load is placed on it.    

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I dunno where to put this but many of us should be interested in replacing DC cables with even better ones

FYI - recently there's yet another audiophile DC plug available in Taiwan

They should be able to ship internationally and here are their contacts

http://www.atl-newcablestudio.com/Contact.html

DC plugs from Oyaide are only good for bulk wires with 6.3mm diameter or below, however ATL ones are good for anything up to 8mm. Basically that's good for CrystalPower Special and the genuine bulk wires are available in Hong Kong as well as China

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=23058296058

http://www.audiofile.nl/sites/default/files/2014-07-01 R6 Crystal Cable Retail Pricelist.pdf#page=3

Of course we could also find a reputable seller on Audiogon etc. and then get one of those genuine Crystal Cables Power cables for cheap, then we could simply replace the IEC plugs on both ends with DC plugs accordingly.

On 5/3/2017 at 11:35 AM, ted_b said:

Seeteeyou, that is exactly what Larry (lmitche) is doing, although I think he is powering the ethernet/USB box with LPS-1, not sure if he powers the PCIe card externally or not.

Ted, yep that's what I am doing, using the lps-1 to power the USB box. The pcie card is powered from the pcie slot directly.  There are three clocks, one on the pcie card, and two on the USB side.  There is no Ethernet involved here which is a good thing. I have no idea how to power the pcie card with an lps-1.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

9 hours ago, romaz said:

I'm very much looking forward to your findings, Rajiv.

The Ultra stack has arrived! My setup is in a mess, but here are some pics:

IMG_0481.thumb.JPG.1a7f04d44dd53a30a1e510165d4c4920.JPG

Pardon the mess. Seriously, if you go down this path, the clock cables are fragile, and I will have to think seriously about how to securely place these in my rack. Right now, it's all on top for easy experimenting.

IMG_0485.thumb.JPG.ca4aa45cd79e334fe4653bad7a13cc57.JPG

Again, pardon the rat's nest. But notice:

• My amateurish Canare 4S6 DC cables. Thanks to John Swenson and the DIY DC cables thread.
  • The thin black clock cables that run from the tX-USBultra - 2 to the sMS and 1 to the switch.

So from a system topology perspective, here are the before and after views. While my sMS-200 was away for this mod, I had reverted to my Aries Mini setup, which looked like this. This is my current baseline:

590b59cf56594_AudioAriesMiniTopology.thumb.png.938c5a1db49592affa3b01785a2d70b7.png

As of now, I have connected the full monte Ultra chain, and letting it burn in to my system. This is the new topology:

590b5a0a2643c_AudioUltraTopology.thumb.png.1151a787aae1b5e6c22cc8aff976f79e.png

I did a little bit of listening last night, and suffice it to say, I'm smiling! This is a whole 'nother ballgame compared to the previous chain. But I'll say no more until I've done a lot more listening. I don't know how motivated I'll be to do a ton of experiments - not least to avoid stressing the tethered clock cables.

I plan to follow a subtractive approach this time - start with the full stack and remove things as I go. So far my list is shown below. Beware this is fluid and evolving:

1. compared to sMS-200 "ultra", what is the additional benefit of tX-USBultra, and the "ultra" Zyxel switch?
  2. Is GI still an issue in my setup? Add my existing Intona between sMS and tX and see what I hear. It's a worse clock, but potential blocks leakage loops
  3. Power switch with a battery (Tecknet on hand).

If you have any burning questions, let me know, and I'll consider adding it to the list.

Stay tuned.

Yes i dont see a way for the card to be externally powered either.  No biggie.

So does the host computer just see this as a USB connection and therefore you just choose an ASIO dac driver locally?

2 hours ago, ted_b said:

Why did you go away from Adnaco and what have you now found in 5 years to be better (latest setup notwithstanding)?

We were using Linux systems and we changed from using RME soundcards to using USB DACs. So we need to put PCIe cards with USB outputs on the Adnaco slots. (There were no direct to USB cards at that time. Only 4 PCIe slots on the daugther card) We use HQplayer on control PC and linked to the NAA PC through network. The Adnaco springs from the NAA PC. Both PC use Linux system and there were quite some compatibility issues with the USB cards on the PCIe slots and sometimes the DAC cannot show up in the HQplayer esepcially with USB3 cards. This is the main issue prompting our retreat from Adnaco. For a time we have changed to using the 2012 server and J play and again putting the Adnaco to the AudioPC. There is always an improvement in SQ whenever the Adnaco can be used.( in terms of more quiet background and more musical feel). But the drawback is there are too many gears hanging around. The Adnaco daughter card needs a case and a power supply(we use picoPSU and Teradak linear power supply). At that time we also use separate Linear power supply to the Control PC motherboard, CPU, hard discs so there are too many gears around. You can imagine there are 3 computer cases and 6 Teradak linear power supplies stacked up together. The sound is good but not really practical. In recent one year or so the HQplayer is getting better and better(especially with DSD512 and direct connection of HQplayer and NAA) and it allows trimming some gears without affecting too much of SQ. Taking away the Adnaco now only lowers the SQ by less than 10%. 

1 hour ago, kennyb123 said:

Does the LED on the LPS-1 turn red when USBUltra stops functioning?  I believe the LED changes to red when there's too great a load is placed on it.    

The light on LPS-1 is green when the music stops. I believe the light changes from red to amber then to green during startup when the Ultracap is being charged so if the light is green it implies the Ultracap is fully charged and ready for use. That's why I have concluded it is not the charging of Ultracap that matters. And it should be the momentarily current demand exceeds 1.2A.

Just to clear things up.  Hols was not using the Adnaco S3B, but a different model.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

The plan Roy will use, is to power the Adnaco Hub and sclk ex clocking board each separately.  I would use 2-LPS-1's.  The Adnaco Pcie card would just get a clean clock and run off the mobo power, also a new clock for the mobo system.  The other two clocks would run to the Adnaco Hub.  Remember Roy will be powering the mobo with a Paul Hynes/HD Plex 200 ATX

I enjoy reading this thread as I may be using a similar topology.

Stay tuned.

53 minutes ago, austinpop said:

If you have any burning questions, let me know, and I'll consider adding it to the list.

I can't wait to hear your impressions of the SMS-200 (modded to Ultra) followed by the tX-USBultra.

I have ordered a SMS-200 Ultra and may also order a tX-USBultra.

Other option may be to have SoTM mod a Regen ISO with one clock from the SMS-200 Ultra.

SOtM sMS-200ultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

SOtM tX-USBultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

12 minutes ago, Bamber said:

I'm enjoy reading this thread as I may be using a similar topology.

Stay tuned.

I can't wait to hear your impressions of the SMS-200 (modded to Ultra) followed by tX-USBultra.

Patience! :D

I have ordered a SMS-200 Ultra and may also order a tX-USBultra.

Cool. One question in my mind is whether there is a difference between my modded stack, with its external clock cables, and full SMS-200ultra followed by tX-USBultra. But I have no way of comparing.

Other option may be to have SoTM mod a Regen ISO with one clock from the SMS-200.

Sorry - not an option. May has mentioned to me that they don't mod other audio manufacturers' equipment. They are fine modding non-audio devices like switches etc. I had asked about modding an Intona (pre-ISO-Regen days).