IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

7 minutes ago, rickca said:

Do you know whether the standard Supra cat 8 ethernet cables have a floating shield or not?  I've heard good feedback about these for the price.

Agree that Supra cat 8 is good for its price. To me the sound is proper and accurate. Expensive ethernet cables give you something more than accurate. Vertere is said to be using hair thin wire and giving you some real good high frequencies. Both material and design can give you some different sound. I am not sure but I think Supra does not give floating shield because part of the plug is metal and so cannot isolate the ground.

7 hours ago, TubeMan said:

All the ethernet cables in my audio chain are those Viablue + Telegartner RJ45's.

Those cables are very good and an absolute bargain.

I also had Supra cat 8 and found that the Viablue's where superior.

Make sure that you connect the braided shield of the Viablue to only one of the two Telegartner RJ45's that make-up the cable.

On 1/6/2019 at 10:47 AM, rickca said:

Since the Qobuz plugin is an LMS thing (not squeezelite), does the Qobuz FLAC come to the LMS instance running on Windows 10 and then get sent to squeezelite on the NUC?  Or is it like UPnP/DLNA, and the Qobuz FLAC goes straight to the renderer?

I was traveling, so not sure I saw an answer.

Yes, in the LMSsqueezelite case, the Qobuz stream is pulled by the Qobuz plugin running within the LMS instance on the server, then sent to the squeezelite instance on the endpoint using the SlimProto protocol per the Logitech architecture.

33 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Ok it's a nice test but who wrote it and it's on the fidelizer website. Would be nice if some more independent people could repeat this test.

Yes this is important to isolate the software improvement from the hardware (NUC).

27 minutes ago, Holzohr said:

Hmm.. according to Rajiv's first post "the focus of this thread is on direct listening impressions".

It should be quite easy to Keetakawee (Fidelizer) to collect "direct listening impressions" with Audiolinux and Windows Server 2019 himself instead sharing the opinion of Mr Unknown. Or better he (biased or not) doesn't start such topics and lets his customers decide.

15 minutes ago, TubeMan said:

all he does is undermining his own credibility,

by writing negative about other software

OP also says , " If anyone ... attacks people ..."

1. Anyone interested to venture into NUC/AL will read avidly here, finding Windows comparisons highly relevant.

2. The "shootout" link looks relevant enough to me: much of what ostensibly accounts for SQ here is AL vs. Windows.

Why neg on Keetakawee/Fidelizer (not that I have it) if you are secure enough in your convictions re NUC/AL?

It's just an OT conversation, right?

16 minutes ago, Iving said:

OP also says , " If anyone ... attacks people ..."

1. Anyone interested to venture into NUC/AL will read avidly here, finding Windows comparisons highly relevant.

2. The "shootout" link looks relevant enough to me: much of what ostensibly accounts for SQ here is AL vs. Windows.

Why neg on Keetakawee/Fidelizer (not that I have it) if you are secure enough in your convictions re NUC/AL?

It's just an OT conversation, right?

to 1. I find comparisons much more interesting and valuable the way as Rajiv has described: made by "direct listening impressions". So the link from diecaster was not that useful (imho). At least not to me. Ok, I already knew the neighbor thread where Keetakawee has posted the same. I will give the Windows Server 2019 a try by myself when Phil's next version of AO is ready.

to 2. When you quote someone you should set the link to the source. Keetakawee has forgotten about this for some reason and therefore the "opinion" of Mr Unknown is rather valueless.

Btw, I use Fidelizer.. lol (pls have a look at my signature) and have tried Audiolinux headless and ramroot as server and endpoint. The main reason I keep with Windows Server 2016 core is because I already had this rockstable Windows server running with all the software as AO, Fidelizer and especially HQPlayer. Without the HQPlayer I probably would have changed to Audiolinux as server. Or now to GentooPlayer? *scratching my head*

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

1 hour ago, Holzohr said:

Hmm.. according to Rajiv's first post "the focus of this thread is on direct listening impressions".

It should be quite easy to Keetakawee (Fidelizer) to collect "direct listening impressions" with Audiolinux and Windows Server 2019 himself instead sharing the opinion of Mr Unknown. Or better he (biased or not) doesn't start such topics and lets his customers decide.

In my mind If WindowsX posts reviews of his own software here or compares it positively to other methodologies then to me that is marketing and should be reported to Chris. He has already done that here and also on the Roon Community forum.

If someone else points to another site where he has done that then we just have to use our own judgement as to whether he is biased or not.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

28 minutes ago, Holzohr said:

to 1. I find comparisons much more interesting and valuable the way as Rajiv has described: made by "direct listening impressions". So the link from diecaster was not that useful (imho). At least not to me. Ok, I already knew the neighbor thread where Keetakawee has posted the same. I will give the Windows Server 2019 a try by myself when Phil's next version of AO is ready.

to 2. When you quote someone you should set the link to the source. Keetakawee has forgotten about this for some reason and therefore the "opinion" of Mr Unknown is rather valueless.

Btw, I use Fidelizer.. lol (pls have a look at my signature) and have tried Audiolinux headless and ramroot as server and endpoint. The main reason I keep with Windows Server 2016 core is because I already had this rockstable Windows server running with all the software as AO, Fidelizer and especially HQPlayer. Without the HQPlayer I probably would have changed to Audiolinux as server. Or now to GentooPlayer? *scratching my head*

1. Surely the point of "direct listening" is that first hand experience counts. No armchair philosophy. The shootout looks like a direct listening impression (of AL vs. Windows) to me. I can't evaluate NUC/AL a priori: I have to jump in first. So all "direct listening" accounts are relevant to me - especially if comparison of A. what is discussed here with B. my existing o/s. I haven't seen the "neighbor" thread but you have piqued my interest.

2. I do not subscribe to celebrity culture! You can't sell a book these days unless you are already known - even infamously. In other words - it is (or should be) the argument that counts - not who wrote it. I am able to evaluate what is written without knowing who wrote it.

Appreciate your first hand remarks on Fidelizer etc. An obstacle to NUC/AL for me is that I use Rednet and AL doesn't support Dante afaik. I'm not ready to revert to USB - I hated it when last I had a relationship with it. But I keep track of things with much interest. Who knows when I might be persuaded.

33 minutes ago, mourip said:

In my mind If WindowsX posts reviews of his own software here or compares it positively to other methodologies then to me that is marketing and should be reported to Chris. He has already done that here and also on the Roon Community forum.

If someone else points to another site where he has done that then we just have to use our own judgement as to whether he is biased or not.

Well - it was @diecaster's link! I appreciated it!

(God forbid we should ever encounter "bias" on any audiophile forum!)

1 hour ago, Iving said:

Well - it was @diecaster's link! I appreciated it!

(God forbid we should ever encounter "bias" on any audiophile forum!)

I remain open to all alternatives. I've been an appreciative user of AO and Process Lasso on W10 myself in the past. I didn't get around to Fidelizer, but heard great things about it. Several respected users here have the Nimitra server too, as I recall.

If indeed Windows Server 2019 can compete with Audiolinux, both running headless and booted into RAM, that's great. Anyone who's tried it is welcome to post their listening impressions here.

For now, it looks like there is a separate thread that's been open for the topic here: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/54989-extreme-dual-pc-computer-audio-setup-shootout-between-audiolinux-and-windows-server-2019/ so please direct all discussion there instead.

Side note - the way this thread works: no one is asking or expecting anyone to try anything. People decide to give things a try based on who is reporting the results, and how much trust that poster has established from past experience.

Does anyone using a PC as an endpoint have any experience in using either USB-SFP converters or PCI-E SFP cards?

I have fibre from my NAS to a Cisco 2960 switch then copper to my endpoint, but was wondering if bypassing the Cisco would help?

Or maybe waiting for one of the upcoming tricked out SFP-RJ45 converters with LPS from Uptone or Sonore?

2 hours ago, TubeMan said:

"Lately I found a few CA members I know talking to me privately that they want to see more honest feedback "

so you don't think this threed  have an honest opinion

I also value AudioLinux quite highly. !!!

I didn't read whole thread so I don't know but I'm sure you aren't very honest one toward me. Please stop your abusive behavior.

Some people asked me about Esoteric trying to so I'd like to clarify it's Esoteric CD/SACD transport. I owned Esoteric P-03/D-03 combo and owned some other high-end sources too.

Regards,

Keetakawee

Happy Emm Labs/Viola/Karan/Rockport audiophile

Fidelizer - Feel the real sound http://www.fidelizer-audio.com