IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

7 minutes ago, Cornan said:

With Openhome the playlist is stored at the render.

Right.  With OpenHome, the playlist is stored at the renderer.  With UPnP/DLNA without OpenHome extensions, the playlist is stored at the control point.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

On 10/28/2018 at 3:32 PM, hols said:

My next clock is the Antelope Trinity + 10M(rubidium) about 10 years ago when I started my CAS journey using Linux OS and RME AES soundcard which like many professional equipments has a clock in in order for all equipments to use a synchronized clock.

While I'm fully aware that they're talking about recording music, the latency of RME HDSPe MADI FX looked insanely impressive

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=135076#p135076

8Qyg0UA.jpg

While Thunderbolt 3 might / might not work under Linux, it's good to know that RayDAT could be added to Bean Canyon NUC etc.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-akitio-thunderbolt-3-pcie-enclosure-with-rme-hdspe-raydat-card.883740/

7 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

In my system I am using the sps 500 to power the lps  1.2. This improves very significantly the sq provided by the lps 1.2 running with the stock smps unit. 

@Superdad please comment.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

59 minutes ago, greenleo said:

Why update it if the stock is already working?  Check tapatrick's excellent post that has image of the UEFI setting of the 7CJYH.  I expect 7PJYH would be similar.

Device names under AL may change when moving from bios to bios. Various setup scripts then have to change. I like to keep things as universal as possible by using the latest bios on all machines. The NUC device names have been stable for several releases.

Unfortunately there is no guarentee things won't change again.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

6 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Device names under AL may change when moving from bios to bios. Various setup scripts then have to change. I like to keep things as universal as possible by using the latest bios on all machines. The NUC device names have been stable for several releases.

Unfortunately there is no guarentee things won't change again.

I see.  It's the scripts.  Thanks for the reply.

8 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

One  comment about psu for the NUC. I have both lps 1.2 and sps 500.  In my system I am using the sps 500 to power the lps  1.2. This improves very significantly the sq provided by the lps 1.2 running with the stock smps unit. 

I will be very interested if you can run this set up powering the NUC and compared to sr4 and sr7dr

My NUC board and case have arrived, so my time will be spent on that later today, and then Roy's unit needs to ship back.

I have not experienced meaningful SQ gains by changing the energizing supply for the LPS-1, at least in my systems. I do practice basic power hygiene in that I plug the energizing SMPSes into a PS Audio Dectet power that then plugs into a different circuit than my audio dedicated circuit. Maybe that is why I don't hear any degradation from the energizing supply.

How much ram there was in Roy’s nuc ? Did you use AL in extrem boot mode ? If yes no problem to have lps 1.2 power it and also heat built up ?

4GB.

Yes.

No.

No heat buildup.

why did you order the NUC7i7DNBE ?

I explained earlier. Please check back my posts. I followed Roy's and Larry's advice.

At least for Roy, his rationale was to start with the list supported by the Akasa Plato X7D case, and then shortlist from that. One of the attractive features of the DNBE is no extraneous stuff like Bluetooth, wifi, etc, and it has a TDP of 15W.

Thank’s

You're welcome.

2 hours ago, k-man said:

@lmitche @romaz @austinpop

Guys, I would love to see a homepage article on this NUC venture. CAPS and Geek speak articles don’t come by often, and I reckon this will fit in well (that’s if anyone does care to write the whole thing)

@The Computer Audiophile Your thoughts?

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This could be a really cool article. The challenge is to make it accessible for people who don't want to get too into the weeds. The front page articles are usually much less technical than the forums. 

I'm all for it though.

I've contemplated something along these lines, but this is a huge time commitment. While novel, it would be a massive 9_9 article - or series of articles.  

Oh wait - I just reread the original request, and it was specific to NUCs. Well, I think that story is still evolving, don't you? Best to gather more experience before summarizing.

48 minutes ago, austinpop said:

One of the attractive features of the DNBE is no extraneous stuff like Bluetooth, wifi, etc, and it has a TDP of 15W.

So you are not contemplating Larry's wifi approach during testing?

35 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Could this RAM be a concern?  I was all set to purchase this exact RAMs also for their lower CL rating until I check Intel website (see below).  Although, not exactly the same model (2X16 instead of 2X4), but the incompatible warning isn't comforting.

Link:  http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel® NUC&productType=Kits&productName=Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i7DNKE

image.thumb.png.b89ff8ee9a4933d9878356ee05166106.png

6 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Could this RAM be a concern?  I was all set to purchase this exact RAMs also for their lower CL rating until I check Intel website (see below).  Although, not exactly the same model (2X16 instead of 2X4), but the incompatible warning isn't comforting.

Link:  http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel® NUC&productType=Kits&productName=Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i7DNKE

Yikes, hmm. It seems to be working for Roy. We'll see on mine. It's booted up to the BIOS right now, and it can see the memory just fine. We shall see.

But yeah, best to hold off, perhaps.

45 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Thanks for the info.

I will be ordering a set of 2x 16GB modules because I will be using the NUC7i7DNBE as a server.

I want to be able to copy my 10GB Roon database into RAM. If there's any memory left,  I will try to create a RAM disk in AL and mount it so I can put some FLAC's in memory. I can then choose the mounted RAM disk in Roon as if it were any other folder.

11 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Luckily I didn't already order the 2 x 16 GB HyperX modules. Thanks for the warning!

Okey guys, I have bitten the bullet, reached critical mass and gone NUClear. ☢️

In other words I  bought me self two NUC7i7dnbe. ????

Thay are on backorder but we will see in 5 to 10 days.

rick ?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

8 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Okey guys, I have bitten the bullet, reached critical mass and gone NUClear. ☢️

In other words I  bought me self two NUC7i7dnbe. ????

Thay are on backorder but we will see in 5 to 10 days.

rick ?

Mind if I ask where you're getting them from?

Thanks