IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

2 minutes ago, Whitigir said:

I7-8700K can barely do XTR-2S into DSD512.  Let alone any weak CPU.  Non-2S XTR is defintely too much for I7-8700K

My i7-6700k has no problem with xtr-2s at dsd512 with hqplayer desktop. It hardly breaks a sweat. It will also do xtr non-2s at Dsd256 but the heat builds up for sure.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Side note... I tried AL on my NUC7I7DNHE running HQPe and RoonServer. Heard absolutely no differrence with stock Debian Stretch, playing to my Rendu NAA so I went back to Debian so that I can do other things.

I’ve also tried AL as NAA endpoint on my NUC and Jussi recommended Up Board Gateway and thought both sounded a bit brighter than my Rendu, causing slight listening fatigue over longer listening sessions...

An ISO REGEN + LPS-1.2 on the output (like Larry prefers) would probably help the NUC and UpBoard Gateway.

2 hours ago, mourip said:

Also, and you may already know this, you need to use a separately configured USB stick for each PC. You cannot use one drive to boot multiple machines to ramboot as there is information that will be unique to each machine even if they have exactly the same hardware...

Thanks for the reminder.  I have a question.  I don't have my NUC yet, but I can boot up AL headless on my Macbook Pro.

If I make some changes like updating packages, installing software etc on the Macbook Pro, will it work OK on the NUC?  If so, I can get a head start on customizing AL.  When you do yaourt -Syua does what happens depend on the hardware environment?  

So does this thing about using a separately configured USB stick for each PC apply only if you ramboot ... or only if you want to run both machines at the same time?

Hope my question is clear.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

45 minutes ago, Whitigir said:

I7-8700K can barely do XTR-2S into DSD512.  Let alone any weak CPU.  Non-2S XTR is defintely too much for I7-8700K

Silly me, I should know better.

The sonicTransporter i7 has an i7-7700 (non-K) and does xtr-2s DSD512 fine (HQP Embedded), running Roon Server at the same time. No CUDA offloading.

I bought one for the old man (dad) and forgot about that. That’s a great buy for people not wanting to fuss around with Linux command lines. I think they (SGC) can now build a fanless i7-8700K too on request..

33 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Side note... I tried AL on my NUC7I7DNHE running HQPe and RoonServer. Heard absolutely no differrence with stock Debian Stretch, playing to my Rendu NAA so I went back to Debian so that I can do other things.

I’ve also tried AL as NAA endpoint on my NUC and Jussi recommended Up Board Gateway and thought both sounded a bit brighter than my Rendu, causing slight listening fatigue over longer listening sessions...

An ISO REGEN + LPS-1.2 on the output (like Larry prefers) would probably help the NUC and UpBoard Gateway.

What power supplies are you using for your two NUCs?

4 minutes ago, lmitche said:

What power supplies are you using for your two NUCs?

LPS-1.2 was ok for the NUC (and Up Board Gateway) as NAA... still a tad brighter than the Rendu + LPS-1.2 for my ears (over longer listening sessions) 

I used a battery to power the NUC running HQPe + RoonServer... No difference to my ears, to using it's stock SMPS though when it's running as a networked server (through NetGear GS108 with JS's grounding trick).

49 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Did you try bitperfect playback with Roonbridge? You have an ifi DAC right?

38 minutes ago, rickca said:

Thanks for the reminder.  I have a question.  I don't have my NUC yet, but I can boot up AL headless on my Macbook Pro.

If I make some changes like updating packages, installing software etc on the Macbook Pro, will it work OK on the NUC?  If so, I can get a head start on customizing AL.  When you do yaourt -Syua does what happens depend on the hardware environment?  

So does this thing about using a separately configured USB stick for each PC apply only if you ramboot ... or only if you want to run both machines at the same time?

Hope my question is clear.

My experience is mainly during the last two weeks laboring over getting two Bridges to coexist in headless mode, not even using ramroot until I got it fixed. The issues were basically specific to Roon which creates a unique identifier for each new install. 

If I had to guess I would say that at best it might not work well due to hardware differences and at worst it will trash your initial effort causing you to start from scratch anyway.

Hopefully Piero will weigh in. If not, I would just email him. He is very responsive...

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

38 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Yeh, tried bitperfect but much prefer HQPe... iFi Pro iDSD.

Same difference anyway - at the server end, no difference (to my ears) between AL and stock Debian and no difference between bitperfect (low CPU loading) and HQPe up-sampling (very high CPU loading).

At the NAA end, a slight difference but prefer the Rendu over longer listening sessions (slightly less fatiguing).

That is most interesting. But hey, no one can (or should) argue with what you hear.

Kudos for at least trying it!

15 minutes ago, austinpop said:

That is most interesting. But hey, no one can (or should) argue with what you hear.

Kudos for at least trying it!

Not everyone thinks up-sampling to very high sample rates with something like HQPlayer or Audirvana, necessarily results in 'better' sound quality in their system (system dependant).. and that's more than OK of course.. each to their own.

but specifically for those that do... something like HQPlayer blows the lid off the theory that you need the networked server to have the absolutely lowest CPU loading for 'better' SQ...

The Roon COO said something similar - the context here is people using 'under powered' servers. My ears agree with him too:

"Show me any device that claims that good SQ requires low CPU performance, and I’ll counter that with exhibit #2: HQ Player"

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/nucleus-or-antipodes-cx/45916/55

I think many of us will agree we want the endpoint directly connected to the DAC to have ultra low CPU loading.. but my ears preferring the Rendu seem to think the hardware itself also makes a difference..

My ears think there needs to be network isolation between the server and endpoint and this is Roon's recommended best practise too. I think a lot of us here practise that already (for a long time - nothing ground breaking here for most of us). I expect the John Swenson EtherREGEN with even better network isolation may help here too..

2 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Not everyone thinks up-sampling to very high sample rates with something like HQPlayer or Audirvana, necessarily results in 'better' sound quality in their system (system dependant).. and that's more than OK of course.. each to their own.

but specifically for those that do... something like HQPlayer blows the lid off the theory that you need the networked server to have the absolutely lowest CPU loading for 'better' SQ...

The Roon COO said something similar - the context here is people using 'under powered' Roon Servers. My ears agree with him too:

"Show me any device that claims that good SQ requires low CPU performance, and I’ll counter that with exhibit #2: HQ Player"

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/nucleus-or-antipodes-cx/45916/55

However my ears think there needs to be network isolation between the server and endpoint and this is Roon's recommended best practise too. I think a lot of us here practise that already. I expect the John Swenson EtherREGEN with even better network isolation may help here too..

I was just referring to NUCs. Clearly you prefer your microRendu to the NUC running AL/RAM. That's cool.

2 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I was just referring to NUCs. Clearly you prefer your microRendu to the NUC running AL/RAM. That's cool.

I've now compared both. I know Larry has said he's never had an ultraRendu in his system (although he prefers his ISO REGEN + LPS-1.2 on the output of his NUC..).

How about you - have you compared with an ultraRendu?

6 minutes ago, austinpop said:

By this chain, I think I know how my comparison of NUC with the UR would go!

Not so sure about this since the ultraRendu and SMS-200 Ultra did sound different to my ears in my system... both compared at the same time over a couple of weeks..

I preferred the former but many prefer the latter but I don’t think you can guess how the ultraRendu would sound based on the SMS-200.. not at all.

Highly recommend you try an ultraRendu + LPS1-.2 if you get the chance..

11 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Not so sure about this since the ultraRendu and SMS-200 Ultra did sound different to my ears in my system... both compared at the same time over a couple of weeks..

I preferred the former but many prefer the latter but I don’t think you can guess how the ultraRendu would sound based on the SMS-200.. not at all.

Highly recommend you try an ultraRendu + LPS1-.2 if you get the chance..

I think you misunderstood. I compared an actual UltraRendu vs. the sMS-200ultra. 

Hang on ... (refers to index) .. here is the report: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=742958