IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Hi @rickca it was from the intel NUC guide on how to boot from USB but perhaps that's a misstep.

@tapatrick - my BIOS settings look exactly like yours.

So I'm wondering if its question 1 and I've grabbed the wrong image.

But on both SD Card and USB flashdrive I keep getting zero sign of there being a bootable device attached.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

4 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

I keep getting zero sign of there being a bootable device attached

How exactly did you prepare your flash drive?  Will it boot on any other computer you have?

On a Windows 10 system, I downloaded the .gz file, extracted the .img file using 7-zip, then used etcher (which is dead simple) to put the .img file on the flash drive.  I don't have a NUC yet, so I booted it on my Macbook Pro to make sure I had a bootable image.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 minutes ago, rickca said:

On a Windows 10 system, I downloaded the .gz file, extracted the .img file using 7-zip, then used etcher (which is dead simple) to put the .img file on the flash drive.

No need to extract the .img file. Etcher does accept the .gz file. Makes it even more dead simple. ?

Important is to have a clean USB flash drive.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

I tried extracting the image using 7-zip and then burning to the USB drive as DD image using Rufus.

If someone can confirm whether it's the BBB version or another AL version that's best for endpoint patrol?

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

BBB is for the Beaglebone Black, you need the headless version for the NUC. The LXQT version (with GUI) is included in the $ 49.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

1 hour ago, BigAlMc said:

Hi @rickca it was from the intel NUC guide on how to boot from USB but perhaps that's a misstep.

@tapatrick - my BIOS settings look exactly like yours.

So I'm wondering if its question 1 and I've grabbed the wrong image.

But on both SD Card and USB flashdrive I keep getting zero sign of there being a bootable device attached.

Cheers,

Alan

Looks like one of the BIOS images didn’t load. But @LTG2010 has nailed it. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

5 hours ago, tapatrick said:

Today I set up an NUC7PJYH3 quad core with 16gb ram, as roonserver

Hi all, quick check nuc7pjyh model maximum memory on the intel website says 8GB. Does it mean 8gb for each slot or 8gb for entire system (sorry I am technically disabled). I have ordered 4gb*2 for NUC. If it can take 16gb, I will cancel and buy 8gb*2. Thanks

2 hours ago, Soma said:

Hi all, quick check nuc7pjyh model maximum memory on the intel website says 8GB. Does it mean 8gb for each slot or 8gb for entire system (sorry I am technically disabled). I have ordered 4gb*2 for NUC. If it can take 16gb, I will cancel and buy 8gb*2. Thanks

Well 16 gb worked here. However for an endpoint, less is more.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

8 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Two questions on the NUC front.

One which might benefit the crowd and one I might need to take offline to PM.

Context is I'm trying to install AL on an NUC7CJYH as Roon endpoint.

Question that's more universal is can someone please clarify what version of AL is best suited to endpoint duties? There's been loads of references to $29 but of the 8 or so versions on the AL site two are €29, one is BBB and one is Pi3. Is it one of these or a different one?

Second question and I suspect I need to take this offline as it's indicative of my own technical dipshitness ?. I followed @greenleogreat install guide as well as checking the Intel forums but no matter what I try I keep getting no install device detected.

As per Intel I should:

1. Go to Advanced Boot > Boot Priority.
  2. Disable UEFI Boot and enable Legacy Boot.

But on my NUC7CJYH the UEFI option is not unselectable and the legacy boot does nothing. I flashed the latest BIOS update and the legacy boot window disappeared altogether.

So for the benefit of the thread is there something obvious I'm missing?

If its me being a dumbass then please ping me offline as I don't want to derail this great thread.

Cheers,

Alan

Pi3 is another physical platform.  Just buy one for PC.

For end point when using HQP, I will buy the headless (lxqt will be included) as an end point NAA in the audio PC.  The HQP in the control PC then runs in lxqt.

Roon may be run in the headless, which Larry knows much better and I know nothing.

So you need to know what you need and then buy the AL you want.

No need to flash bios.  You may pm me if needed.  The basic need is to relax the security boot thing.  Just take one or two minutes.

6 hours ago, austinpop said:

You're not the first I've heard from who's mentioned this thread has turned a bit too technical. Could we focus this back on listening impressions and findings?

I am going to encourage people start posting their "how do I" NUC and AL questions over in this thread: 

@austinpop So Rajiv, I'm mostly listening to complete silence, interspersed with occasional swearing! ?

More seriously the other thread is a great idea and many thanks to @rickcafor creating it. Likewise thanks to @tapatrick, @greenleo

and @LTG2010 for their help.

I'm still a bit confused by all the references to the 29 buck version when it's the €49 version I need so some clarification on what version(s) work best as endpoint vs what works best as server might benefit the crowd here. Might be my rookie mistake but there were two at 29 and I knew I didn't want Pi so I wrongly concluded it must be the BBB one.

Oh well, onwards and hopefully upwards today.

Cheers,

Alan

10 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

@austinpop So Rajiv, I'm mostly listening to complete silence, interspersed with occasional swearing! ?

More seriously the other thread is a great idea and many thanks to @rickcafor creating it. Likewise thanks to @tapatrick, @greenleo

and @LTG2010 for their help.

I'm still a bit confused by all the references to the 29 buck version when it's the €49 version I need so some clarification on what version(s) work best as endpoint vs what works best as server might benefit the crowd here. Might be my rookie mistake but there were two at 29 and I knew I didn't want Pi so I wrongly concluded it must be the BBB one.

Oh well, onwards and hopefully upwards today.

Cheers,

Alan

This is the only version I’ve bought and used:

Audiolinux headless 1 year support with image        $ 49
11 hours ago, tapatrick said:

Today I set up an NUC7PJYH3 quad core with 16gb ram, as roonserver to add to my NUC7CJYH Roon bridge end point, both powered by separate SR4s both running AL in ramboot/extreme Mode. I’ll report more in a day or two but already the sound quality is the best I’ve ever had, no question. 

tapatrick, 

Can I ask what's running between the two nucs, switch, or directly bridged etc? 

8 hours ago, Soma said:

Yes NUC7PJYH works with 16gb Ram. I have 8gb in each slot. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

2 hours ago, rettib2001 said:

tapatrick, 

Can I ask what's running between the two nucs, switch, or directly bridged etc? 

I have an Aqvox switch between the 2 NUCs not bridged. It’s powered by a modded Teradak DC30W outputting  8v with 2 LT3045 voltage regs in series 7.5>5v.