IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

5 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

ROON CORE on LXQT

My Roon database pushes the size of the OS beyond 8GB.  I have a lot of music.  Fortunately I have 16GB of RAM in my server.  Again, extending the partition on the USB stick before loading into RAM eliminates a lot of headache.

I had exactly the same problem. Following  Piero's guide, I moved my RoonServer database to a second usb flash drive, and everything then worked smoothly. I am a total linux novice, so Piero's help was invaluable.

Right now I am running AudioLinux on a Retina MacBook Pro. I'm waiting for the dust to settle before deciding on a NUC for my Roon Server.

2 minutes ago, ronfint said:

I had exactly the same problem. Following  Piero's guide, I moved my RoonServer database to a second usb flash drive, and everything then worked smoothly. I am a total linux novice, so Piero's help was invaluable.

Right now I am running AudioLinux on a Retina MacBook Pro. I'm waiting for the dust to settle before deciding on a NUC for my Roon Server.

Piero informed me you can extend the partition of the USB stick to its max capacity and the image will still only load the data.  So if your stick is 128GB you can extend to that size.  When you load into RAM it will only create a partition the size of the RAM.  I did not test this.  I kept my partition size under 16GB.

I'm assuming you don't have more than 8GB of RAM in your Retina?  Does storing the Roon db on another USB drive slow anything in Roon?  At a minimum you need to keep a UBS stick installed in the MAC/PC/NUC which generates more noise.

3 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

I'm assuming you don't have more than 8GB of RAM in your Retina?  Does storing the Roon db on another USB drive slow anything in Roon?  At a minimum you need to keep a UBS stick installed in the MAC/PC/NUC which generates more noise.

I have 16GB RAM, but my Roon db itself is between 16 and 17 GB. Concerning the noise issue, I'm not sure. Music sounds good, but I've never had golden ears, nor am I as sensitive to changes in equipment as many are. I'm not sure if that's a blessing or a curse, but it does mean that I'm easily satisfied.

1 minute ago, mormogi said:

This time r core. But compared with 200w another  toroidal. This guy 900watt and higher voltages. I need modify and compare again.

A tip from my part is to try balanced toroidal transformers. A game changer (but requires two toroidal transformers).

🎛️  Audio System  

8 minutes ago, mormogi said:

So i need throw away this or can make balanced?

You’ll need two transformers with identical specs or if your one is possible to wire in balanced mode. No need to throw one away if you can find another one with the same specs. It all comes down to price and space. Not sure where you are using the transformers?

🎛️  Audio System  

9 minutes ago, Cornan said:

You’ll need two transformers with identical specs or if your one is possible to wire in balanced mode. No need to throw one away if you can find another one with the same specs. It all comes down to price and space. Not sure where you are using the transformers?

This trafo have 2x 40volts separated . Need other one? So expensive....

4 hours ago, sandyk said:

You need a larger value normal type electrolytic capacitor in parallel with the input of the 5V  LT3045 (try 100uF 16V for example) to obtain a more tonally balanced presentation. You have in effect a small increase in  upper HF detail at present. which results in a bigger soundstage, but often results in increased sibilance as you have noticed.

For me the culpit is the 500mA LT3045. Using two 1A LT3045 in series instead of one 1A and one 500mA should make quite a difference IME. The more parallel LT3045 the better noise rejection and less harsh /sibiliant SQ.

Edit. However, changing the LT3045s around so the 1A LT3045 is facing the last device in the chain should give a better SQ than other way around IME, but 2 pcs 1A will always get better SQ.

🎛️  Audio System  

1 minute ago, mormogi said:

Actually I throw away 10 chokes directly into to rabish 

Bad boy! ? High impedance AC input is not necessarily a bad thing. I am not a believer in impedance negative effects. I believe that both signal and power should be as non-restricted as possible really. Make the signal/power as quick as possible for best results and try to optimize the rest of the system likewise. Isolate anything possible from one another (especially ground/shield/ 0v reference) and make the power as clean as possible. Sounds easy, but it is not! ?

🎛️  Audio System