IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

14 minutes ago, Superdad said:

this NUC makes much obvious things like HQ Player SRC filters and dither options.  And now I absolutely can not stand HQP PCM>DSD conversion.  For reference, folks should know I have a heavily modified Singxer SU-1 feeding I2S to a Holo Spring Level 3.

I 100% agree about the filters and conversion.

I also have a modified SU-1 but am not sold on it with the NUC yet.  I just started doing some comparison with both the tX-USBultra before it and out all together.  I think I should spend more time with it.

I measured my NUC7i5BNH it has M.2 SSD for ROCK OS and second SSD for music.

This is with regular 44.1/16 no DSP

19Vdc average 0.57A (10.83W) and peak 1.5A
15Vdc average 0.69A (10.35W) and peak 2.1A
12Vdc average 0.81A (9.72W) and peak 2.8A

Average is during play to Roon endpoint. Peak was during start up.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
34 minutes ago, Superdad said:

It sounds fantastic! :D

Fantastic with your ISO REGEN? Less fantastic without?

Would be greatly interested in your observations/impressions of your microRendu vs LarryNUC without ISO REGEN (whenever you get the chance to warm up the microRendu)..

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

The quad core sounds a bit more resolving in the mids to me. I enjoyed listening to this machine and felt sad to see it go!

That's not what I wanted to read ?. I was very close to ordering the pentium.

Oh well, I am about to go and pick up my celeron NUC from the post office. My akasa case doesn't arrive until mid December though ?

10 minutes ago, lmitche said:

I've removed the ISO Regen twice to test SQ without it. Twice it has gone back in.

Did some folks report Sotm tx-ultra was redundant in their setup ? I have neither iso regen nor sotm and yet it sounds fantastic and can't think of it sounding any better. How much difference do you think you gained with iso regen ?

7 minutes ago, Dev said:

Did some folks report Sotm tx-ultra was redundant in their setup ? I have neither iso regen nor sotm and yet it sounds fantastic and can't think of it sounding any better. How much difference do you think you gained with iso regen ?

The ISO Regen adds clarity. Pianos and guitars are less wooly.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Having the ISO Regen adding clarity to this new NUC endpoint doesn't give me any confidence in it's supposed superior SQ abilities considering I found the ISO Regen a detriment to SQ in my jetway single server sCLK-EX NUC system. 

Picked up a new 8GB memory styx.  Look forward to trying out AL loaded to memory next month.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

2 hours ago, octaviars said:

I measured my NUC7i5BNH it has M.2 SSD for ROCK OS and second SSD for music.

This is with regular 44.1/16 no DSP

19Vdc average 0.57A (10.83W) and peak 1.5A
15Vdc average 0.69A (10.35W) and peak 2.1A
12Vdc average 0.81A (9.72W) and peak 2.8A

Average is during play to Roon endpoint. Peak was during start up.

Interesting how the efficiency is greater (lower wattage) at 12V than at 19V.  9_9

1 hour ago, MrUnderhill said:

To this:

Chain = AL NUC [R-Core 19V 5A LPSU > VBus2 > IFI Mercury 3.0 > Adapter > USB B power injector [R-Core 8V 6A LPSU >> DC 3.1 PoE >> 7V2 1A LT3045 >> 5V 0.5A LT3045] > SingXer F1

A bit of a simplification.

Result?

The new chain has a slightly bigger sound field. There is an increase in dynamics and detail.

All positive?

With well recorded material yes. With some tracks then a sibilant edge is more apparent.

You need a larger value normal type electrolytic capacitor in parallel with the input of the 5V  LT3045 (try 100uF 16V for example) to obtain a more tonally balanced presentation. You have in effect a small increase in  upper HF detail at present. which results in a bigger soundstage, but often results in increased sibilance as you have noticed.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

3 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

AL preinstalls the most important audio services and applications like Roon and HQPlayer (and in lxqt version Logitech Media Server, Squeezelite, MPD, UpnP for MPD) so it works out of the box.  These applications are already partially configured. 

I thought I'd seen options for things like LMS/Squeezelite in AL headless 0.5, not just lxqt.  Am I wrong?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's