IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

12 hours ago, Marcin_gps said:

Thanks. Now with JPLAY FEMTO, single PC sounds better than dual PC setup back there. 

Regards, 

Marcin

Cool, will Jplay FEMTO work on Audiolinux? I'd be keen to give it a listen, the timing is perfect as I'm trying to ascertain buying a new player SW for Audiolinux.

34 minutes ago, Superdad said:

As mentioned on the phone, this is trivial to do and I have voltage set resistors arriving to do max. current tests at both 15V and 19V.  

The JS-2 won't be able to offer 7+ amps at 19V (as it does for 12V), but I'm hoping it will make it to 4.5A easily. Could simply substitute the set resistor on one of the four settings (presently 5/7/9/12V) on one of the output jacks.  19V/4.5A is still 86W.  Plenty for this class of NUCs.

Still, I am not yet convinced of any benefit to 19V.  We have loads of happy NUC and Roon Nucleus users at 12V. 

I'd be interested. I think you'd have a market. Not only could 19v NUC's be powered but also mITX boards. 

NUC7PJYH (quad core J5005 CPU) is available at B&H for $172.

NUC7CJYH (dual core J4005 CPU) for $117.98 B&H says more on the way in 2-4 weeks.  This model seems to be sold out most places.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, rickca said:

NUC7CJYH (dual core J4005 CPU) for $117.98 B&H says more on the way in 2-4 weeks.  This model seems to be sold out most places.

Interesting info. 

I discovered however that those nuc are not fanless. Question ? Is the fan an issue as it will create both electrical and audible noise ?

Is there fanless solutions for those nuc PCs ?

Does anybody has tested quad core vs dual core for endpoint ?

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

1 hour ago, jean-michel6 said:

Is there fanless solutions for those nuc PCs ?

Sure you can transplant them into a fanless case like

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/akasa-newton-jc-fanless-low-profile-case-8th-generation-intel-nuc-june-canyon-25-hdd-ssd

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

2 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

...however that those nuc are not fanless. Question ? Is the fan an issue as it will create both electrical and audible noise ?

Is there a fanless solution...

Would be interesting to know if the Akasa Newton JC chassis indeed makes a difference. Perhaps Larry & Patrick could chime in..

9 minutes ago, Narcissus said:

Would be interesting to know if the Akasa Newton JC chassis indeed makes a difference. Perhaps Larry & Patrick could chime in..

Yes I found it makes a significant difference and definitely worth doing. 

Interesting that using my MacBook Pro as AL roonserver booting in Ram (it’s only a temporary solution for now), the extreme mode sounds worse (relatively) that BFQ mode in RAM. This is because the fan goes crazy in extreme mode and I assume adds a lot of noise. Therefore getting the fan and hard drives out of the equation is essential. 

See @Middy input on concerns about quality of heat sinks in some Fanless cases. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

22 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

Yes I found it makes a significant difference and definitely worth doing. 

Interesting that using my MacBook Pro as AL roonserver booting in Ram (it’s only a temporary solution for now), the extreme mode sounds worse (relatively) that BFQ mode in RAM. This is because the fan goes crazy in extreme mode and I assume adds a lot of noise. Therefore getting the fan and hard drives out of the equation is essential. 

See @Middy input on concerns about quality of heat sinks in some Fanless cases. 

This was Piero’s reply when I asked him about the extreme mode..

Extreme mode is very... extreme, processor will never go to a sleep state (this will improve latency) but because of this temperature can rise at dangerous levels if the cpu cooler is not of very good quality. I would not use it in a laptop, for example. Sound can be better but if the computer is not up to the task, it could be worse because of cpu throttling down”

My MBP is already running hot in Bfq mode. Hence, for the time being I’m holding back..

The AKASA case used for my NUC was modified to suit the PCB. This design works on a thick central rib but in this case its off center so they cut out a section to save cost, not making a new extrusion die. The case is U channel forced through a mould.

The heatsink block is seperate and poor quality compared to other market leaders. IE  smooth /flat and copper.

Later models may be better quality as mine an early is celeron based case.

Some good thermal paste and do nothing should be ok. If you want or need more heat dissipation. Google lapping cpu heatsinks. Basically more surface contact to transfer heat. Flat not shiney is key.  People have done this for years..

I dont think there is another fanless manufacturer and if you need a faster hotter cpu this is above standard use.

Cant blame Akasa on that...

Waiting for tools to finish engineering work, then ill post cpu temp if it does help...

Dave

9 hours ago, lmitche said:

Roy observed that the NUC sounds better at 19 volts. I aim to hear the benefit of the additional 7 volts.

There's nothing going on at 19v, but some voltage regulators work better (less ripple) with a higher  dropout voltage. Although of more relevance to linear regulators,that might be a reason for better sound quality observed. But again more heat is generated making good cooling essential.

Aren't there heat pipes for a NUC?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

7 hours ago, Narcissus said:

Cool, will Jplay FEMTO work on Audiolinux? I'd be keen to give it a listen, the timing is perfect as I'm trying to ascertain buying a new player SW for Audiolinux.

Don't think so.  Femto is only for Windows at the moment.  Given my good experience with the JPlay, I can easily be a Femto for AL customer.

6 hours ago, rickca said:

indeed.  I ordered 7C in the beginning of Nov and deposit paid but was informed 8 days later that it's not coming.  What a bad news!

33 minutes ago, Middy said:

The AKASA case used for my NUC was modified to suit the PCB. This design works on a thick central rib but in this case its off center so they cut out a section to save cost, not making a new extrusion die. The case is U channel forced through a mould.

The heatsink block is seperate and poor quality compared to other market leaders. IE  smooth /flat and copper.

Later models may be better quality as mine an early is celeron based case.

Some good thermal paste and do nothing should be ok. If you want or need more heat dissipation. Google lapping cpu heatsinks. Basically more surface contact to transfer heat. Flat not shiney is key.  People have done this for years..

I dont think there is another fanless manufacturer and if you need a faster hotter cpu this is above standard use.

Cant blame Akasa on that...

Waiting for tools to finish engineering work, then ill post cpu temp if it does help...

Dave

Dave,

R u using the Newton JC that claims fit for the 7CYJH?  Or would you recommend other Akasa model that fits the mono, or simply another chassis?  I have asked a friend to buy the JC for from mainland China this week since I cannot find the chassis through taobao. I may stop it if the JC is no good.

On the other hand anybody tried using the default chassis with the fan removed?  If it is stable in the headless standard mode (not the extreme mode), it can be a temporary solution.

Newton AC compact fanless case for Intel NUC Celeron J3455 for Intel NUC ARCHES CANYON NUC6CAYH.

Is what i have, other models I can't say sorry. I searched you tube for build videos as you cant see the internals.

Ie the large flat bar inside the case.

Please everyone dont worry too much. 

For the price they can be engineered better IMHO. But £45 i can afford this though limited options available. 

If extreme mode for your version of NUC CELERON PENTIUM I3 I5 I7.run at load and watch the temps. Some programs can show in windows. If they seem high then we can look at improving things like better thermal compound. 

Is the CPU GPU Positioned flat on the heatsink.

Like me and its more the anal side of me wanting a good flat surface as i was an aerospace machinist in my youth, so the non metal bashers here can see its easy to improve thermal conductivity with a piece of glass and sandpaper. 

As i come here to learn from you guys.

I hate taking and not giving back... you all help me so much, so if i can i will...

Dont worry...all this is me wanting to help. Not fear of a product killing your new NUCs

In work gtg

Dave

8 hours ago, Dev said:

The Hades Canyon NUCs include a discrete graphics card (AMD Radeon RX Vega M) you don't need.  It just adds to the power requirements.

We could only get two USB 3.1 gen 2 ports from Hades Canyon that are directly connected to the processor, everything else is going through the PCH while that's separated (i.e. no SoC whatsoever) from the processor.

However, none of us actually tried that out as Roon Server yet. More power is better for Roon Core, therefore at the very least we've gotta try this 330W brick

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DELL-Alienware-330W-AC-Adapter-Y90RR-XM3C3-ADP-330AB-DA330PM111-/252380181356

https://communities.intel.com/thread/126504?start=15

So, given the Dell supply works with my NUC, it would seem that the NUC must also be using that same OneWire protocol with it's power supply?

26 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

However, none of us actually tried that out as Roon Server yet. More power is better for Roon Core, therefore at the very least we've gotta try this 330W brick

This might be a good one  NUC8I7BEH

quad core 2.7ghz (4.5 turbo), SOC ? might make a monster NUC server in extreme mode with a good heatsink/power supply.

edit yep its SOC

image.thumb.png.b2a717df96ef7e93354b3700c365f06a.png