IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

9 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

In terms of HQP NAA, Jussi's own NAA image is free. Is this AL solution better sounding to your ears?

Similarly, one can load Roon's Roon OS (ROCK) on a NUC and use it as a RoonBridge, for free. This is an OS designed and built from scratch by the Roon Team (not based on an existing Linux distro).

Wondering if people have compared these with this AL NUC solution.

NAA is always free, HQPlayer is not.  Don't know how to use Jussi's image, hence no comment.  But I guess more or less identical sounding.

Roon endpoints are free, Roon core is not.  For people who have the Roon license, they may compare.  I don't and can't compare the SQ difference.

15 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

This is an OS designed and built from scratch by the Roon Team (not based on an existing Linux distro).

In the end it's still another flavor of Linux with another name, I just couldn't understand the part about scratch

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

Roon OS is a custom Linux based operating system, tailored for running Roon Server and providing a best-in-class, appliance-type user experience to host the Roon Core.

3 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

The HQPlayer NAA needs to be installed on an OS unless you're referring to Embedded which is not free. 

ROCK can not be loaded into RAM, nor can you install HQPlayer on it. I will likely try Roon Bridge as an endpoint on Audiolinux. Roy did this and liked it enough to call it endgame. 

The NAA is included in the AL and it's free.

1 minute ago, seeteeyou said:

In the end it's still another flavor of Linux with another name, I just couldn't understand the part about scratch

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/nucleus-sound-quality/46266/40

From Danny (COO):

"One of the big differences between Roon OS and the others in this space is that Roon OS never “shut down” anything. It just doesn’t include them from the start. Roon OS built from scratch, not built on top of another server or desktop operating system with items that need to be disabled. Every option, every piece of software on this box is there on purpose. I’ve yet to see another Linux based audio device that works this way (ARM or x86/x64)."

6 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

The HQPlayer NAA needs to be installed on an OS unless you're referring to Embedded which is not free. 

Jussi has his own fully bootable NAA image... and this can be used on a NUC. No need for the user to install an OS beforehand.  I would imagine he knows how to optimize things for HQP NAA as well as anyone. And that image is free.

Just asking if those using HQP NAA on AL have tried Jussi's own NAA image?

1 minute ago, Em2016 said:

"One of the big differences between Roon OS and the others in this space is that Roon OS never “shut down” anything. It just doesn’t include them from the start. Roon OS built from scratch, not built on top of another server or desktop operating system with items that need to be disabled. Every option, every piece of software on this box is there on purpose. I’ve yet to see another Linux based audio device that works this way (ARM or x86/x64)."

Well, then even stuff like Debian was built from "scratch" since they're simply taking from what Torvalds was offering for free. Sometimes merely mentioning the term "scratch" could mean so many different things.

9 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/nucleus-sound-quality/46266/40

From Danny (COO):

I think the problem is with the terminology and Linux as a whole. Any Linux distribution today, be it Centos, Ubuntu, Redhat, Debian, Roon Rock, AudioLinux, Foo, Bar, uses the same Linux kernel and a set of open source software. While many start with a particular distribution, say ArchLinux, like Audio Linux did, what Danny is saying is that Rock is built from the scratch using these standard set of open source s/w. The keyword here is "built", which means they only include packages and configuration (kernel and applications) which they think are necessary for Rock to work. Its not developed from scratch.

5 minutes ago, Dev said:

I think the problem is with the terminology and Linux as a whole. Any Linux distribution today, be it Centos, Ubuntu, Redhat, Debian, Roon Rock, AudioLinux, Foo, Bar, uses the same Linux kernel and a set of open source software. While many start with a particular distribution, say ArchLinux, like Audio Linux did, what Danny is saying is that Rock is built from the scratch using these standard set of open source s/w. The keyword here is "built" - its not developed from scratch.

Noted. I'm only asking if people have actually tried it on this low powered NUC (it's free) to compare with with AL + RoonBridge.

As a RoonBridge only, I would assume Roon's ROCK (Roon OS) is highly optimized. 

Loading ROCK (without enabling Roon Core for that NUC) will turn that NUC into a Roon Bridge endpoint.

5 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Noted. I'm only asking if people have actually tried it on this low powered NUC (it's free) to compare with with AL + RoonBridge.

Before the NUC business, I ran Rock end-to-end on a server as well as a streamer which is not a NUC but a mini-itx board running Celeron N2930. I might install Rock someday on this NUC and see how it compares but if my audio memory serves me right, then I would say AL with ramroot will trump Rock.

4 minutes ago, Dev said:

Before the NUC business, I ran Rock end-to-end on a server as well as a streamer. I might install Rock someday on this NUC and see how it compares but if my audio memory serves me right, then I would say AL with ramroot will trump Rock.

Thanks for the reply and do share if you do try it. I certainly wasn't making any claims (I wouldn't dare, here in this hornets nest ? )

Just asking if anyone had actually tried and their impressions.

6 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

I suspect we won't know until somebody feels inclined to try it. It's probably easiest for someone who already has a NUC with ROCK to compare it with AL.

7 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

If only we lived in this idyllic world - where a vendor knows best? If there's one thing we've learned here, it's that they often don't!

3 minutes ago, Dev said:

if my audio memory serves me right, then I would say AL with ramroot will trump Rock.

Ah OK - good to know.

Thanks for the reply and do share if you do try it. I certainly wasn't making any claims. Just asking if anyone had actually tried.

Yeah, I agree. Its always good to know what's making the difference if they are kind of running the same code underneath but only differ in their operating model. Rock and AL is not like Linux vs Windows thing.

1 minute ago, austinpop said:

I suspect we won't know until somebody feels inclined to try it.

Well yes, this is all I've asked, a few times...

1 minute ago, austinpop said:

If only we lived in this idyllic world - where a vendor knows best?

Well in this case (Roon specifically) is also the vendor who have developed this proprietary streaming architecture (RAAT). 

Once again, I'm only asking the question. I'm always careful to not make any claims, especially here in this hornet's nest ?

22 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Jussi has his own fully bootable NAA image... and this can be used on a NUC. No need for the user to install an OS beforehand.  I would imagine he knows how to optimize things for HQP NAA as well as anyone. And that image is free.

Just asking if those using HQP NAA on AL have tried Jussi's own NAA image?

The only bootable HQPlayer I know about is embedded and it's not free. Maybe I'm wrong and if so please point me in the direction. Even if there were you couldn't load it in RAM... Yet. 

I expect other audio developers using the Linux kernel as their base to start offering a load to ram function. Jussi designed his embedded version from the kernel up I believe. I'm guessing Roon did as well. 

Also remember that Roon Bridge does not use RAAT

4 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

The only bootable HQPlayer I know about is embedded and it's not free. Maybe I'm wrong and if so please point me in the direction. Even if there were you couldn't load it in RAM... Yet. 

I linked it earlier in this same thread...

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/

And yes, Jussi's own NAA image is fully USB bootable (the same way HQPE is - I use both...). And obviously Jussi's NAA image is free - I'm only talking about the NAA/endpoint side here (not the cost of the server side, HQPE or Roon Core costs). No OS needs to be pre-installed (as I've mentioned a few times).

Use the x64 image for the NUC...

Well yes, this is all I've asked, a few times...

Yes, you've made your ask. Now let's wait to see if anyone feels motivated to go do it. No point asking it multiple times.

Any interest in trying it yourself?

Well in this case (Roon specifically) is also the vendor who have developed this proprietary streaming architecture (RAAT). 

Not sure RAAT has anything to do with it.

2 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

I linked it earlier in this same thread...

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/

And yes, Jussi's own NAA image is fully USB bootable (the same way HQPE is - I use both... and obviously Jussi's NAA image is free) No OS needs to be pre-installed (as I've mentioned a few times).

Use the x64 image for the NUC...

Thanks! I didn't realize. My NUC has no hard drive. I wonder if it will boot from USB. 

2 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Thanks! I didn't realize. My NUC has no hard drive. I wonder if it will boot from USB. 

No worries. And yep, I mentioned a few times, it's fully USB bootable... just like HQP Embedded in that way. Free to try and optimized by Jussi for NAA and nothing else.