IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

2 hours ago, Dev said:

I think the author, Piero, of AL didn't expect a storm brewing over at CA ? Being an expert unix user, I have already given the feedback on the very first day that most novice will find it ugly. I am sure he is working on it to make the user experience most friendly. Until that happens, its just a bunch of commands you have to fire. You don't have to understand (if you do, that's even better but not necessity) and if you make a mistake, well, just start over....

Not true in v0.5 headless.  The only important command is alconf.  Please try and AL is evolving.

My thanks to Roy, Larry and Rajiv in particular.

i think that language can be a barrier to communication at times. I think the NUC + AM is a superb solution, but certainly not plug and play.

In the world of operating systems a good analogy I once read compared Microsoft to Mercedes and Linux to a well loved MG; the second was a lot more fun but took a fair amount of maintenance. Not quite on the button but with an element of truth.

i am loving what this has done for my system, and being bootable from usb means it is simple to back out from.

M

5 hours ago, Johnseye said:

What makes you think they are much noisier devices?  Not saying you're right or wrong, I'd just like to know your background info on this statement.

John: No other explanation besides the conventional thinking here, that lighter NAA is better to keep the electrical noise down. I don’t know anything more that that. Will only know with more experimentation I guess.

32 minutes ago, lmitche said:

First off, there is no need to run the Audiolinux GUI version on the server or streamer. The headless version delivers the same audio playback capabilities and sounds better.

Also, with proper integration, a dedicated server with Optane boot can have one button operation, and with no need for a keyboard or monitor, it only needs two wires, power and network. If one has music on a Nas, with Roon or Hqplayer, there is never a need to interact with the OS at all. Add a USB disk, and third wire, the same is true.

That sounds like tv dinner territory to me.

It depends on what you want to use it for. I believe I need the gui to run HQPlayer Desktop. Can I launch and interactively use HQPlayer Desktop from the headless version? 

The appealing think about a NUC is it’s simplicity, one NUC plus one powersupply. 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

12 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

It depends on what you want to use it for. I believe I need the gui to run HQPlayer Desktop. Can I launch and interactively use HQPlayer Desktop from the headless version? 

Your are right. Everything I do here has roon as a front end so I don't know, if hqplayer needs x. I'll check it out tomorrow and report unless someone else reports first.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

17 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

No you can't. The headless only comes with the embedded version, which is web interface based and the license is more expensive than the desktop version.

45 minutes ago, greenleo said:

Not true in v0.5 headless.  The only important command is alconf.  Please try and AL is evolving.

Yes, I agree that AL is evolving from all the feedback from the users. I have to try it out the newer version (I don't remember what version I am running currently) but I am not looking for easier commands or configurations either.

Wow, it's time consuming (but so worth it) to keep up with all this.  Thanks so much to @lmitche, @austinpop, @Johnseye, @greenleo and others for reporting your results.  

Is working with the GUI version of AL really more difficult than headless?  I would have thought the opposite.  I haven't started yet ... should I try the headless version first?  

Another question.  I have a dual boot Windows 10 system on which I'd like to try just booting AL from a USB thumb drive.  Piero says on his website that using AL on a dual boot system requires more support and he charges a little extra.  Is the added complexity of a dual boot system only a factor if you want to copy AL onto a hard drive/SSD?  Would having a dual boot system prevent me from just booting AL from a USB thumb drive?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, sig8 said:

I have been using AL for few months the improvement in SQ is big so well worth it. I have tried it on three systems and all sounded lot better than Windows based system. so in my opinion the magic is in AL, not NUC,  I think people should try AL on their current systems and see if they get any jump in SQ, I am pretty sure they will.

Can AL be used with ultrarendu 1.4?

Can I try AL on a NUC without other additions?

In this thread members have talked about various SOtM PCIe riser cards and 'clocks', but I didn't think a NUC had any PCIe slots or rear panel clock sockets, so how can they be used (with a NUC)?

Cheers!

33 minutes ago, rickca said:

Wow, it's time consuming (but so worth it) to keep up with all this.  Thanks so much to @lmitche, @austinpop, @Johnseye and others for reporting your results.  

Is working with the GUI version of AL really more difficult than headless?  I would have thought the opposite.  I haven't started yet ... should I try the headless version first?  

If you're not using dual PC, GUI is easier due to mounting of the local HDD.

For dual PC and the audio has no internal storage, the headless now is more or less no brainer.

But the GUI version is always great for trouble shootings.

34 minutes ago, Dev said:

No you can't. The headless only comes with the embedded version, which is web interface based and the license is more expensive than the desktop version.

Right so I either run Desktop on my server inor pony up for embedded. Considering it's in my server and not endpoint I'm not likely to get any improvement in SQ. 

Just now, Johnseye said:

Right so I either run Desktop on my server inor pony up for embedded. Considering it's in my server and not endpoint I'm not likely to get any improvement in SQ. 

John: You can try embedded. Trial version is there with AL.

45 minutes ago, the_doc735 said:

In this thread members have talked about various SOtM PCIe riser cards and 'clocks', but I didn't think a NUC had any PCIe slots or rear panel clock sockets, so how can they be used (with a NUC)?

Cheers!

I did post this, most won't use thier NIC card. I ordered an extender to move it away from the board. WIFI for me..

(I am not 100% if this works but there are extenders with pci sockets. )

See aliexpress examples here.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cK4ENHSt

I wanted to move NIC and shield it. To see if it helps....

Note they seem to have power pins for independant supply? Or flying leads pins for testing. Not sure?

18 minutes ago, greenleo said:

Totally agree.

Darn it, i just bought jriver and AO last summer, is it a waist? Or can I use it for the server?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2