IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

25 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

ok, I am planning to get the latest Hdplex LPS as sold on web now. Would there be issue with this later model? I am planing to use internal SSD 2.5 Sata as boot drive (euphony OS).

I would expect that current models all have overload protection incorporated.

Normally, the manufacturer will prevent this happening in the design of the PCB by restricting the amount of adjustment possible, or at least provide warnings in the User Manual.

Irrespective, it is never a good idea to adjust the output of a voltage regulator PCB way below the maximum output voltage.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

5 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Normally, the manufacturer will prevent this happening in the design of the PCB by restricting the amount of adjustment possible, or at least provide warnings in the User Manual.

Irrespective, it is never a good idea to adjust the output of a voltage regulator PCB way below the maximum output voltage.

Strange the manufacturer would allow such adjustment if it would actually cause overheat issue. I would check with Hdplex later when I get the LPS.

6 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

Strange the manufacturer would allow such adjustment if it would actually cause overheat issue. I would check with Hdplex later when I get the LPS.

Use the 5V output and you will have no problems !

In many cases the adjustable 19V rail was left unused, so some who needed extra outputs tried to use it adjusted down to +5V,  which is fine if only using a low current device such as a Regen etc.

HDPlex will have made 100% sure that this is no longer a problem.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

Use the 5V output and you will have no problems !

In many cases the adjustable 19V rail was left unused, so some who needed extra outputs tried to use it adjusted down to +5V,

which is fine if only using a low current device such as a Regen etc.

Ok, noted, I will keep that in mind. BTW, I don't think the HdPlex 200W LPS can drive 2 devices that need 19V at the same time? 

Just now, Chopin75 said:

Ok, noted, I will keep that in mind. BTW, I don't think the HdPlex 200W LPS can drive 2 devices that need 19V at the same time? 

Many users don't need the +19V output. You will need to consult their user manual specifications.

Incidentally, their recent designs have been markedly improved in the amount of residual noise output.

37 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

I use all four outputs on my 200W HD Plex. 

5V ISP fiberconverter. 

19V router (5-19V)

12V switch 

19V NUC with Roon ROCK 

But it gets hot and I mean really hot so I have a speedcontroled 120mm fan cooling it (all my equipment is in a cabinet so that will of course affect the heat)

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
1 minute ago, octaviars said:

I use all four outputs on my 200W HD Plex. 

5V ISP fiberconverter. 

19V router (5-19V)

12V switch 

19V NUC with Roon ROCK 

But it gets hot and I mean really hot so I have a speedcontroled 120mm fan cooling it (all my equipment is in a cabinet so that will of course affect the heat)

Cool, thanks for the info

7 hours ago, sandyk said:

Many users don't need the +19V output. You will need to consult their user manual specifications.

Incidentally, their recent designs have been markedly improved in the amount of residual noise output.

I think I read somewhere here that it could be supplied with 2 x 12V in lieu of the 12V + 19V, by request.

22 hours ago, Cooler said:

I wanted to try Nuc as roon server, but with surprise found, that all nucs are with 1 ethernet port. :(

Nobody mentioned that!

I wanted to connect it(nuc) to roon endpoint directly to eliminate any switch between.

Do you know guys nuc versions with two ethernet ports?

The Zotac C series seems to have dual ethernet ports.

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/ci329-nano

https://www.zotac.com/product/mini_pcs/zbox-c-series/all

8 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

It might be capable of it but will get pretty hot, especially running two PC's.

On another note. I have two audio computers, both using the same ASRock H87M-ITX board. This board runs on 12v. On case is a large Streamcom fanless and the other is a very compact HDPlex fanless. For the Streamcom I used an older HDPlex 100w internal DC-DC converter while in the HDPlex case I used a much smaller "pico" supply. I mention this because the larger internal converter takes a 19v input for the 12v board while the smaller unit only requires a 12v input. Depending upon the board you use and the size of the case this will affect your PS choice.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

22 hours ago, Cooler said:

I wanted to try Nuc as roon server, but with surprise found, that all nucs are with 1 ethernet port. :(

Nobody mentioned that!

I wanted to connect it(nuc) to roon endpoint directly to eliminate any switch between.

Do you know guys nuc versions with two ethernet ports?

Here is a vendor that carries all things NUC and this page is for dual port cases. Some are fanless.

The Jetaway cases that @ElviaCaprice mentioned look good...

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

59 minutes ago, misterspense said:

The Zotac C series seems to have dual ethernet ports.

The C series doesn't seem to be available in the USA yet.   

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Was looking to move wifi card on an extender. M.2 has a few standards...

A+E for wifi but you can get ssd m.2 too pcie extenders if thats an option.

If link works. Look at bottom table. Other options cheaper may be available.

M.2 WiFi interface Bluetooth A.E key NGFF wireless network card extension cord cable adapter Card Riser M2 wi-fi A E A\Ekey
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cK4ENHSt

20 hours ago, Hauser said:

Hi Doc,

No I didn't click the link so misinterpreted your question,; apologies.  If you Google Studer900 power supply, down the list there is a review of a complete supply with the board enclosed on the 'Audio Asylum ' forum.  It discuses the merits and failings of the supply.

Martin

ok many thanks!

12 hours ago, sandyk said:

LPSU's in general. Are they not ALL protected? IF they are NOT(!), what to avoid please?

17 minutes ago, austinpop said:

For now, I'll be running 7 for a while to see how it holds up.

Can you please explain what Roon Core Remote means?  I don't run Roon so I'm not familiar with the potential configurations and I can't quite figure it out from your table.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

7 minutes ago, rickca said:

Can you please explain what Roon Core Remote means?  I don't run Roon so I'm not familiar with the potential configurations and I can't quite figure it out from your table.

Ugh - Roon's architecture nomenclature is really sloppy. That's because they have different nomenclature for the functional components, and their different packaging! From a functional perspective - see https://roonlabs.com/howroonworks.html - here are piece parts:

• Core (this is what you buy a license for)
  • Control
  • Output

From a packaging perspective, and in terms of what you install - see https://roonlabs.com/downloads.html - you have:

• Roon Server
  • Roon Remote
  • Roon Bridge
  • Roon Ready - a special category (similar to Bridge) for devices like the sMS and the mR/uR/sR that are "certified" by Roon.

Here is how I should have phrased the table

25 minutes ago, rickca said:

12 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Ugh - Roon's architecture nomenclature is really sloppy. That's because they have different nomenclature for the functional components, and their different packaging! From a functional perspective - see https://roonlabs.com/howroonworks.html - here are piece parts:

• Core (this is what you buy a license for)
  • Control
  • Output

From a packaging perspective, and in terms of what you install - see https://roonlabs.com/downloads.html - you have:

• Roon Server
  • Roon Remote
  • Roon Bridge
  • Roon Ready - a special category (similar to Bridge) for devices like the sMS and the mR/uR/sR that are "certified" by Roon.

Please look at the previous post again - I've cleaned up the table and nomenclature to match the Roon terminology more correctly.

38 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Please look at the previous post again - I've cleaned up the table and nomenclature to match the Roon terminology more correctly.

I'm still somewhat confused by the terms Local/Remote in your nickname.  Does it mean that Roon Core is running on the player/renderer but only in the role of an endpoint (because Roon Core server functionality is running on the XPS 8700)?  Or is local/remote supposed to indicate the music location (SSD vs NAS)?  I get further confused by seeing just 'Roon' as the software running on the player/renderer in configs #2 and #7.  Does 'Roon' indicate that the roles of server and renderer are both running on the same machine?

I do understand the difference between Roon Core and Roon Bridge.  I have no idea what Roon means by Roon Remote or whether your use of the term Remote in your nickname is consistent with it.

Even though I have an SE, I don't use Roon.  I didn't realize that the SE can be configured to run just Roon Bridge and not Roon Core.  Is this correct or a misconception?

Anyway, I'm happy that your preferred config is #7 and very glad to hear that Nuno is working on further optimization of the SE software.  It's going to get really interesting when you include a NUC running AudioLinux in memory into the mix.