IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Well, after Roy, Larry and 'the gang' finish their experiments with the NUC (NUC7CJYH?), maybe somebody will release a commercial audiophile NUC together with the most appropriate software bundled in? They seem to be trying all sorts of stuff and exploring every avenue at the moment!

Which NUC is best (NUC7CJYH?)

Cheers! 

I wanted to try Nuc as roon server, but with surprise found, that all nucs are with 1 ethernet port. :(

Nobody mentioned that!

I wanted to connect it(nuc) to roon endpoint directly to eliminate any switch between.

Do you know guys nuc versions with two ethernet ports?

dCS Network Bridge | Audio Note DAC2 Signature | Audio Note M5 Preamp | Audio Note Empress Silver Monoblocks | Audio Note AN-E/Spe HE Speakers

6 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Have you considered wireless? 

I dont feel its the best way, because wifi is a very noisy element.

So there are 3 options:

1. [Worst] Wifi

2. [So so] Usb to ethernet converter

3. [Best] m2 to pci-e and external card, like JCAT net card, which i've already sold, damn!!

dCS Network Bridge | Audio Note DAC2 Signature | Audio Note M5 Preamp | Audio Note Empress Silver Monoblocks | Audio Note AN-E/Spe HE Speakers

20 minutes ago, Cooler said:

I wanted to try Nuc as roon server, but with surprise found, that all nucs are with 1 ethernet port. :(

Nobody mentioned that!

I wanted to connect it(nuc) to roon endpoint directly to eliminate any switch between.

FitPC devices are fanless and can host up to 4 Ethernet ports. I think that some of the fitlet2 models are equipped with J3455 processors but please, check 

https://fit-iot.com/web/products/fitlet2/fitlet2-specifications/

http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/fitlet/comparison-fitlet-vs-celeron-intel-nuc/

for details. I have an old fitPC3 and built quality and reliability are very good.

11 minutes ago, nbpf said:

FitPC devices are fanless and can host up to 4 Ethernet ports. I think that some of the fitlet2 models are equipped with J3455 processors but please, check 

https://fit-iot.com/web/products/fitlet2/fitlet2-specifications/

http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/fitlet/comparison-fitlet-vs-celeron-intel-nuc/

for details. I have an old fitPC3 and built quality and reliability are very good.

It is too slow, according to romaz's findings, roon server should be powerful to provide lowest latency possible!

My option 3 needs big pc case, so i see optimal way to use usb-to-ethernet converter.

2 hours ago, Cooler said:

Nobody mentioned that!

Jetway, my NUC has two ethernet ports.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

On 9/18/2018 at 4:21 AM, seeteeyou said:

Ignore the top, for some reason, it keeps pasting this automatically.

Has anyone tried HdPlex PC + its LPS? 

2 hours ago, Cooler said:

It is too slow, according to romaz's findings, roon server should be powerful to provide lowest latency possible!

My option 3 needs big pc case, so i see optimal way to use usb-to-ethernet converter.

Have you checked the Intense PC series: http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/intense-pc/? They are quite powerful devices. Which latency values are you trying to achieve? Are you trying to minimize the minimal latency, the average latency, the max. latency or something else? 

4 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

You can already buy one from @lmitche.  He built one for me, and as of yesterday, it is up and running using an LPS-1.2 as the power source.  I plan to write more about the experience, but for now, I will just say that Larry does not disappoint.  His service was top notch, and the NUC sounds phenomenal as a Roon endpoint...exactly as described here by Larry, Roy, and others.

Is there a website? @lmitche

Other questions i have are: 

Is it possible in AudioLinux to configure a m.2 slot to accept a jcat usb Femto card?

@Marcin_gps

Is a NUC best in a two pc set up or can it be one nuc, without ssd, only music from tidal or a nas?

For now I prefer a one nuc setup what media player s.w is there to choose from?

Thanks

Rick ?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

7 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Is there a website? @lmitche

Other questions i have are: 

Is it possible in AudioLinux to configure a m.2 slot to accept a jcat usb Femto card?

@Marcin_gps

Is a NUC best in a two pc set up or can it be one nuc, without ssd, only music from tidal or a nas?

For now I prefer a one nuc setup what media player s.w is there to choose from?

Thanks

Rick ?

I am running AL both on a NUC (as a streamer) and another fanless PC (as a server) with JCAT net card. Works flawlessly. At some point I plan to switch the fanless PC to a high powered i7 based NUC and use a m.2 to PCIe adapter for the JCAT card, provided I can find a passively cooled chassis to put all the stuff inside. Though you can run the Roon server on the NUC itself and do away with a single system (also much preferable and less clutter), the best SQ can be had by splitting the server and streamer functions in two different systems.

I suggest you get the NUC from @lmitche Larry and experiment it out both ways.

1 hour ago, nbpf said:

Have you checked the Intense PC series

Come on ... the CPUs in those boxes are from 2012/2013 (Ivy Bridge).  Ancient.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

11 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

Did you click on the link to show the item I was referring to?

I just wondered because PeterSt said that all chinese PSU's are junk and will destroy the rest of your gear? I presume that studer900 is chinese?

Hi Doc,

No I didn't click the link so misinterpreted your question,; apologies.  If you Google Studer900 power supply, down the list there is a review of a complete supply with the board enclosed on the 'Audio Asylum ' forum.  It discuses the merits and failings of the supply.

Martin

11 hours ago, mormogi said:

I never heard real differences between caps.Elna,nover ,nichicon…., my home full with these mess,i don't want buy more others,But trial Kemet,would be interesting...

Hi mormogi,

The specs of the Kemet are far better than the Nover cap.  I heard a large improvement on replacement.

Martin.

2 hours ago, Dev said:

I am running AL both on a NUC (as a streamer) and another fanless PC (as a server) with JCAT net card. Works flawlessly. At some point I plan to switch the fanless PC to a high powered i7 based NUC and use a m.2 to PCIe adapter for the JCAT card, provided I can find a passively cooled chassis to put all the stuff inside. Though you can run the Roon server on the NUC itself and do away with a single system (also much preferable and less clutter), the best SQ can be had by splitting the server and streamer functions in two different systems.

I suggest you get the NUC from @lmitche Larry and experiment it out both ways.

Thanks  Dev for the info but I am not going to buy Roon.

?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

6 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

Ignore the top, for some reason, it keeps pasting this automatically.

Has anyone tried HdPlex PC + its LPS? 

I have been using one of their fanless cases with a 200w HDPlex LPS for several years. Works great with an ASROCK ITX board. It has seen several incarnations. Win2012 with Ethernet out to Rednet D16. Next was Win10 with USB out to Mutec USB. JRMC in both configs.

Recently completely changed to run Roon ROCK as a dedicated Roon server with files on NAS. ROCK will run on many PCs but Roon only supports specific NUCs. Soon I will move the music back to an internal SSD. I also want to try AudioLinux with it to serve up Roon.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

1 hour ago, mourip said:

Soon I will move the music back to an internal SSD.

mourip

If you intend powering an internal SSD from an earlier version (?) HDPlex 200W PSU , do NOT adjust the adjustable 19V rail down to +5V to power it. ( . 9V (user adjustable between 5V & 19.5V) via XLR)

There may be too much heat dissipation and the supply may fail and give the  FULL unregulated supply voltage (i.e. > 19V )  to the SSD unless it has an auto shut down protection feature as in later model PCBs .

I doubt that  HDPlex envisaged users wanting to power devices drawing up to 1A at +5V from the 19V rail, as it is never good a good idea  to have such a large voltage drop at a relatively high output current.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

41 minutes ago, sandyk said:

mourip

If you intend powering an internal SSD from an earlier version (?) HDPlex 200W PSU , do NOT adjust the adjustable 19V rail down to +5V to power it. ( . 9V (user adjustable between 5V & 19.5V) via XLR)

There may be too much heat dissipation and the supply may fail and give the  FULL unregulated supply voltage (i.e. > 19V )  to the SSD unless it has an auto shut down protection feature as in later model PCBs .

I doubt that  HDPlex envisaged users wanting to power devices drawing up to 1A at +5V from the 19V rail, as it is never good a good idea  to have such a large voltage drop at a relatively high output current.

Alex

Thanks Alex. I always use the 5v outputs for powering SSDs and other 5v devices. It always surprised me that they would even offer that wide a voltage range for the exact reason you outlined. Personally I would not use the 19 to 5v output for lower than 12v.

The Roon ROCK will be external to my "clean" side so I may even go back to an SMPS. There is a lot to be said for the way Roon can be configured to separate and isolate each function.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

33 minutes ago, mourip said:

Personally I would not use the 19 to 5v output for lower than 12v.

A good idea.

BTW, this happened to a friend of mine.

However, HDPlex did the right thing by him, also providing a later model  replacement PSU PCB with protection.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

A good idea.

BTW, this happened to a friend of mine.

However, HDPlex did the right thing by him, also providing a later model  replacement PSU PCB with protection.

ok, I am planning to get the latest Hdplex LPS as sold on web now. Would there be issue with this later model? I am planing to use internal SSD 2.5 Sata as boot drive (euphony OS).