IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

21 minutes ago, mormogi said:

studer warmer , little colored ,syrupy,more micro details.

Those clones on ebay appear to use quite old technology, such as the type of power transistor used and dated opamps.

The 25VA transformer in them would also markedly reduce the available current when you take into account that the available current from a bridge rectifier with capacitor input is only around 62% of the rated current from the transformer.

In other words, with a 12V output, the maximum available constant current would only be around 1.29Amps.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

7 hours ago, Hauser said:

Hi Cornan,

If you are still experimenting with power supplies, I can highly recommend the Studer 900 boards.

Martin.

Thanks! I’ve pretty much finished with my power supply experiments but will surely have a closer look at the Studer 900! ?

I saw your PS build btw. Great piece of work! ????

🎛️  Audio System  

11 hours ago, Middy said:

Just got the Akasa chassis for the NUC. Celeron

If you Tapatrick or others are inclined or bothered! the Block isnt very good. Its just fly cutter milled roughly. Rub a nail across it. Just google 'Lapping a cpu heatsink'. A good CPU heat sink is like glass. + flat.

This makes it flatter for more surface area to transfer heat. Have a look, not that hard.

Remove the cheap silicone grease and apply a carbon TIM like Artic mx4 . 'Non conductive' if you make a mistake.

Screw back in lightly diagonal and tighten for even pressure.

I won't do a guide, IT guys here know over clocking. But simple techniques make the case earn its money. Especially + celeron/pentium chips like i3 i5.  

No over clocking but a cooler cpu. GFX

All fun and something else too play with.

Flat is better than super smooth.

Food for thought !!and should help keep it cooler.

Dave

good info Dave, thanks.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

On 11/12/2018 at 10:26 PM, Hauser said:

This may be a good time to take a short break from NUCs to share my recent upgraded power supply project.   Although the thread title says 'massively improve', everything in audio is relative and I consider the upgrade significant and well worth the effort if DIY is of interest and for those confident working with AC.

The project has involved several months of research, design, execution and a few repairs.  The original construction of the box was to house a TX USB hub Ex and Iso Regen along with a couple of LPS1s and SMPS to power them and accomodate all the associated cabling.

Some, probably ill founded, doubts over SMPSs led me to explore the potential to change the supplies to linear, regulated.  I upped the challenge by adding a third supply for the Aries in the same box.   This required external transformers and for aesthetic reasons, toroids with custom stainless covers.

More important was the selection of the power boards.  Recommendations from posts on DIY Audio, Audio Asylum and Seeteeyou, suitable dimensions, cost and availability as completed boards made the Studer 900 the board of choice.  The vendor had limited knowledge of the board's performance and suggested testing.  From my testing, the board's power requirements seem similar to the Sigma 11 which is extensively covered on the AMB site and proved to be a valuable source to achieve success.

Modding the board by replacing the large cap with an industrial Kemet brought a worthwhile improvement.  Replacing the other caps with Panasonic FCs, nothing conclusive.  Adding the LT3045s made the sound subtly smoother.  I used Toroidy 30VA transformers.  These sustain higher voltages than another commercial transformer I tried.  Schedule 5 Stainless pipe will comfortably sleeve these transformers; I had to ream schedule 10 pipe.

Compared to the previous power supplies: more bass and treble extension, better detail and more realistic sound and more stage depth.  

For a very modest material cost there is a potential very worthwhile sonic benefit to be had for those with the time available, not to mention the satisfaction.  Just don't get zapped.

Martin. 

DSCF3239.JPG

DSCF3242.JPG

DSCF3243.JPG

DSCF3244.JPG

DSCF3245.JPG

DSCF3248.JPG

DSCF3249.JPG

DSCF3250.JPG

would you recommend this?

13 minutes ago, the_doc735 said:

Lol,

Yes, I have gone to considerable time and effort because I think the result is worthwhile and I recommend it.  The vendor says a max of 2A.  The max I have used is 17V and 1A.  If your power requirements are in this range, something you may consider.  Having seen your previous threads and posts, I would suggest your best bet is to go for something boxed and ready to go.

Martin.

6 hours ago, mormogi said:

studer warmer , little colored ,syrupy,more micro details.

only lt3045's like hpuln great step forward but more expensive.  

Hi mormogi,

As you are already familiar with the Studer, I'd recommend further improvement can be had by changing out the large capacitor to one of higher performance; I used a Kemet peh200.

Martin.

1 hour ago, Hauser said:

Lol,

Yes, I have gone to considerable time and effort because I think the result is worthwhile and I recommend it.  The vendor says a max of 2A.  The max I have used is 17V and 1A.  If your power requirements are in this range, something you may consider.  Having seen your previous threads and posts, I would suggest your best bet is to go for something boxed and ready to go.

Martin.

Did you click on the link to show the item I was referring to?

I just wondered because PeterSt said that all chinese PSU's are junk and will destroy the rest of your gear? I presume that studer900 is chinese?

3 minutes ago, greenleo said:

Did he really say this (I'm not questioning you)?

This seems quite an over statement.

We have been down this road before, and his post has been referred to Admin.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, Hauser said:

Hi mormogi,

As you are already familiar with the Studer, I'd recommend further improvement can be had by changing out the large capacitor to one of higher performance; I used a Kemet peh200.

Martin.

I never heard real differences between caps.Elna,nover ,nichicon…., my home full with these mess,i don't want buy more others,But trial Kemet,would be interesting...

2 hours ago, Hauser said:

Hi Cornan,

I followed your power supply journey and got inspiration from the experiments you made.  The board I used was chosen partly by dimensions, the Sigma being too large.  And a time comes when music should become the priority.

Martin.

I´m truly happy that I inspired you to start that journey. I can imagine I took you a long time to finalize that beauty, but you should be very proud of yourself. It looks amazing and I can imagine it sounds great too! :) 

I have been off the audiphile hobby for quite some time now. Just enjoying music and focusing on my other hobby photography. 

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

Nice to see you around Dave and hope your baby is healthy and growing! :) 

Here is a couple of my latest pictures. Nothing audio realted so I will mark this post as off-topic though! ;) 

I do not want to encourage such reckless off-topic behavior ?

...so I will not ask you what camera you are using?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System