IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

4 minutes ago, Narcissus said:

Thanks once again for your contribution @greenleo   Can you please clarify,

"3. Just let it run until...... " do you mean the black terminal screen which comes up as soon as we boot the USB disk? Or are we supposed to open a new terminal once AL is up & running?You

You're welcome.

When you boot the headless mode, a simple menu comes up after sometime.  Just hit enter and let it run.  Eventually, a prompt like [audiolinux.....]$ will come out.

4 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

Booting the entire OS in RAM is where the real benefit has become apparent with Audiolinux, to my ears at least.

It would seem that Audiolinux real benefit is that it provides a SW/Roon solution for Larry, Roy and others to have an OS for an endpoint such as their chosen NUC suggested, headless.  Great cost efficient find/development.  Just doesn't fit my needs.

Now, how that would work or be a benefit for my system with JRiver from a single server is where I can't seem to get good sourced information on.  With 4GB of memory, I know I wouldn't be able to run the OS from memory as a single server with JRiver.  Also, converting my system to using my NUC as an endpoint is not an option, due to my need for Hi Res video playback, endpoints don't work.  

Everything I've found online about Audiolinux incorporating JRiver Media Center as a single server confirms difficulties (very little info) and many problems which need a lot of coding/tweaking, if even possible.  Has anyone incorporated Audiolinux OS with JRiver media center and had good success with all media playback?  Video via HDMI and audio via DAC?

Even on JRiver forum,  they have many issues with incorporating their suggested Linux OS's with JRiver Media Center.  

Also I'm skeptical of Linux being superior to stripped down Windows 10 OS.  But I do think running the OS from memory can have it's benefits, Linux or Windows.  It just doesn't work for my media demands.  Server size vs memory needed and trade offs in SQ/costs.

This whole notion of latency benefits with a software remind me of the whole JPLAY claims, which I never bought into.  I remain skeptical but open minded.

Trying out Audiolinux,

Until shown it can be done painlessly or for that matter at all, I'm not willing to go down this path.  It's not about the $29.  

Sincerely,

Comfortable fence sitter enjoying the tunes/video.?

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

11 hours ago, romaz said:

To this day, no one understands the physiology behind why Pepto-Bismol is effective for diarrhea and yet it works.

It's pink!  It can't possibly make a difference. ?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

8 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

Jriver also implement playback from RAM as a selectable option although, as I understand this is due to user demand and the developers don't actually beleive their is any sound quality benefit in its implementation.

There must have been an awful lot of customer demand for them to finally agree to provide this facility. ;)

YES, it does result in a worthwhile improvement in SQ with JRiver for me.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

26 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Then a guy sat down next to them and started smoking, claiming he should be able to do this despite the wishes of the cancer survivors that he please smoke in the designated smoking section. Does anyone thing the smoker's behavior is OK? I doubt it.

This also applies to commuters. Even having a smoker sitting down next to you may cause an Asthmatic (I am) to start wheezing.

We shouldn't need to get up and walk away to avoid a nasty confrontation.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

On 9/18/2018 at 4:21 AM, seeteeyou said:

This site is acting strange, I get these quotes stuck on and cannot delete. Above is an error.  Ok, maybe it would be a good idea to have people express their grievances and arguments by PM (via this site) to the other person directly instead ?  

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

I think @ElviaCaprice is wise to reflect before jumping off the fence! The benefits of running in memory with NUC hardware seems to be most striking with an endpoint, which has no state to preserve or persist. Things do get more complex for a server, though. I see 2 areas that need careful navigation.

1. Memory footprint: I will guess that to run AudioLinux AND JRiver in memory will need more than 4GB of RAM? I also guess that can be fairly easily remedied with the purchase of more RAM.
  2. Persistence: This one is trickier. Any write I/O's the server does will not be preserved when running in ramroot mode. I wouldn't count on ramsave as a safe persistence mechanism. There may be some workarounds, analogous to what we've done on Roon Server, which involve replacing the location of the database and executables with symbolic links to persistent storage. Has someone found a way to do this with JRiver?

For the memory issue 4 RAM should be adequate for most playback on a system like linux. I have no experience of J River on Linux. J River Mac is fine with 4 RAM but I did not use up/down sampling or conversion from PCM  __> DSD.  Usually more than 4 RAM is needed mainly for upsampling/resamping/conversion from PCM---> DSD, esp if the track is all loaded into RAM.  For low res to 24/96, 4RAM should be fine. DSD may cause issues with Mac, not sure about Windows, but   DSD runs on my linux/euphony OS, even at DSD256 (native, not upsampled), and with 4 RAM only.   

On 11/11/2018 at 3:48 PM, lmitche said:

Hi Ted,

Good idea! nuckleheadaudio.com was available so I bought it.

Thanks,

Larry

Great stuff Larry!

Best of luck with the new venture.

As discussed on PM I'm sitting on the fence for now re the intrepid stuff you're pioneering but I'll defo keep you, er knucklehead ?, in mind if I decide to slip off the fence.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

10 minutes ago, tapatrick said:
The most striking quality is an ease that is very satisfying. There is a tremendous amount of detail arising in a deep rich black landscape with a more distinct 3D soundstage and well defined individual musicians and instruments. I had enough detail already with my set up but it's the EASE that strikes me the most with the NUC. Emotionally I find this very satisfying and compelling.

Thanks for posting your feedback.  One follow-up question- are you hearing more detail, or the same amount of detail, just presented in a more relaxed manner?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC