IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

29 minutes ago, beautiful music said:

Thank you @greenleo for your efforts but in order to mount my drivers i faced a problem from time to time but not always, actually when i opened the Start Here Folder sometimes i can't see my local drivers and sometimes i see my local drivers but when i'm trying to mount it, the popup message came as hereunder image.

So what do you think about my issues?

286049721_AudiolinuxIssues.thumb.jpg.e73b6fc4490c14bb3606f86116d188f6.jpg

Use the red folder at the bottom and try again.

6 hours ago, kyrill said:

I anticipated that :) see http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/2473-intel-nuc-alikes-which-accept-jcat-femto-ethernet-card/page-2

while most cards are around 10 dollars or even cheaper this one is 32 dolars, i bought three different ones, two mainstream and this one. the quality difference in materials was immediately  obvious

under the brand name you can see where to order

I have JCAT on the server end and have been meaning to do exactly the same thing with the NUC on the streamer end. Did you find any case that can be put around ?

5 hours ago, greenleo said:

Installation guide 5: Automount 

Hello @greenleo, thanks for your efforts. Just one question, I didnt find guide 3, did you miss this number? :)

dCS Network Bridge | Audio Note DAC2 Signature | Audio Note M5 Preamp | Audio Note Empress Silver Monoblocks | Audio Note AN-E/Spe HE Speakers

15 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Big thanks to both @austinpop and @lmitche for this Gotham JSSG360 cable idea!

I am slow in adapting this idea, but finally made the same cable, and think this is a great upgrade.  Now I need to find time making a 24pin ATX cable as well.

Here are few detail pictures I took during cable making:

Pins crimped:

20181103_123856.thumb.jpg.b43e5c210ad70e85e59b44fe4f5bbd33.jpg

Pins inserted to connector prior to heat-shrink cable shields:

20181103_124526.thumb.jpg.c76c14b734e5de2a73353201d49a84d6.jpg

Both cables completed:

20181103_131648.thumb.jpg.73583169ee3ee644fb3a6ead62ef3fc9.jpg

8 Pin cable installed:

20181107_215725.thumb.jpg.e8f270dfeafecc13ba917e8708afbf63.jpg

4 Pin cable installed:

20181107_215742.thumb.jpg.db4ea38f68be5e8863ee5e1ef78e2326.jpg

Gotham is all Larry! I can’t take any credit for that. :)

What are the experiences with the original Intel NUCs with respect to the noise of the fan? I'm following this thread and contemplating buying a NUC, but am not keen on a fan equiped computer in my livingroom. I know there are fanless cases available aftermarket, like Akasa, or fanless mini pc's from other brands.

Do these Celeron NUCs produce some noise? Or are they virtually inaudible?

1 hour ago, misterspense said:

What are the experiences with the original Intel NUCs with respect to the noise of the fan? I'm following this thread and contemplating buying a NUC, but am not keen on a fan equiped computer in my livingroom. I know there are fanless cases available aftermarket, like Akasa, or fanless mini pc's from other brands.

I have been using fitPC products (http://www.fit-pc.com/web/) and they are well built and fanless. I do not particularly like NUC cases and I find the black, ripped fitPC devices aesthetically more appealing. They have a new, modular series of devices called fitlet2 with, among others, Intel® Celeron® Processor J3455 CPUs.

2 hours ago, misterspense said:

Depending on what you want to do, a Raspberry Pi might be a valuable alternative to more powerful machines. With a real-time kernel and the usual optimizations (headless, no X, no desktops, no HDMI, no bluetooth, etc.) it exhibits very good latency measures and is very easy to setup and maintain.

4 hours ago, misterspense said:

There are some fanless NUC and industrial fanless PCs. I am not sure how quiet they are,if good enough for PCs. There is also HdPlex fanless PC which I am planning to use. They are sold as DIY only.  If you plan to do large files like DSD256, DXD, M-ch and/or upsampling/resampling from PCM--> DSD, then you need a more powerful PC, probably like at least 7th gen i5. 

If you play only low res or only up to 24/192hz something like Raspberry/small low power PC probably is adequate & much quieter than regular NUC. 

8 hours ago, elan120 said:

Big thanks to both @austinpop and @lmitche for this Gotham JSSG360 cable idea!

I am slow in adapting this idea, but finally made the same cable, and think this is a great upgrade.  Now I need to find time making a 24pin ATX cable as well.

Here are few detail pictures I took during cable making:

Pins crimped:

Pins inserted to connector prior to heat-shrink cable shields:

20181103_124526.thumb.jpg.c76c14b734e5de2a73353201d49a84d6.jpg

Both cables completed:  8 Pin cable installed:  4 Pin cable installed:

The devil is in the details Elan. The last .75  inch is naked ( no shield at all)

the .6 inch copper shield before that has wires underneath stripped of their individual shield 

So Real 360 shield ends where the blue pvc outer jacket stops. So there is actually a big "leak" in the shield where RFI and EMI slips in. There is metalized fabric in the market  a kind of cloth that you can wrap around it before applying the heat  shrink. The difference is easy to hear :)

7 hours ago, Dev said:

The difference is Pentium vs Celeron processor on NUC7CJYH.

I don't think so, unless I'm missing something. The German page lists the Celeron dual core j4005 processor. The Pentium is a j5005 quad core.

It's all explained here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/boards-kits/nuc/nuc7cjyh-nuc7pjyh-nuc7cjys-brief.html

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

5 minutes ago, lmitche said:

I don't think so, unless I'm missing something. The German page lists the Celeron dual core j4005 processor. The Pentium is a j5005 quad core.

It's all explained here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/boards-kits/nuc/nuc7cjyh-nuc7pjyh-nuc7cjys-brief.html

yah, my bad. I got mixed up with the German headline "Pentium J4005, 2x DDR4, 2,5" SATA, SDXC Slot, HDMI, WiFi" on that link. NUC7PJYH is the Pentium version.

NUC noise celeron based

Iam setting mine up for windows now, i am sat next to it and cant hear it. Unless you want to use it as a pillow.

Its a fair lump of a PC but its not to stop it flying around the room like a crazed drone on a hot heavy load.... 

Adding to a fanless case isnt for the faint hearted. mobo chip dependant how easy that is. Stepped combo cpu gfx.??

Can't see any custom fan replacements or even replacements.

A low cpu load and keep it out of dusty environments. You could get PC sound foam and intake filter material if you are that worried. 

You can get at the fan and clean it with some effort if it does get dusty and unbalanced. Any noise in warranty RMA it.

Dont forget gents USE ESD protection handling electronics. A strap and earth plug doesn't cost much. Can save you a lot of time and effort/ cost poking around PC/hi fi equipment.

Have it not need it.. rather than need it philosophy....

My NUC experience so far on the cheap..

I may do the Aerial mod and attach external antenna for wifi boost. Lots of options googling NUCs.

My old 13v Sbooster/ IFI DC purifier quad cable  MOD boots the NUC and does sound better.

NUC win 10 and wall mart still sounds better than my gaming PC.  No DSD just pcm.

ill try Dalphile again and work my way up when its more fool proof.

Sorry for basics and reiteration of earlier posts but i am aiming for people my level. Cash and IT experience lacking. No roon ect just a NUC.

Win10 pro key £4 ebay. Add to usb stick

Aerials £6 for better reception if an issue.

Spare mouse keyboard £8

Dalphile headless and free to give Linux os a try...

It adds up but nothing to potential the big boys are doing here.

Good luck if helpful 

Dave.

The reason for a fanless case is both about the acoustic noise of the fan, and about eliminating the electrical noise made by a sparky fan motor diminishing SQ.

To solve the acoustic noise problem get a larger fan and heatsink, run a water based system or remove the fan and use a passive heatsink.

The electrical noise problem can be solved with line filters or removal of the fan and installation of a passive heatsink.

Obviously the Akasa case is a passive heatsink. It also seems to provide some vibration control as the 4 inch square board has five touchpoints with the very rigid case.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

4 hours ago, lmitche said:

The reason for a fanless case is both about the acoustic noise of the fan, and about eliminating the electrical noise made by a sparky fan motor diminishing SQ.

To solve the acoustic noise problem get a larger fan and heatsink, run a water based system or remove the fan and use a passive heatsink.

The electrical noise problem can be solved with line filters or removal of the fan and installation of a passive heatsink. 

Obviously the Akasa case is a passive heatsink. It also seems to provide some vibration control as the 4 inch square board has five touchpoints with the very rigid case.

Electrical noise from a fan is mainly due to motherboard PWM control of the fan.(typically 25KHZ " square"  waves/pulses with a high harmonic content) It can be markedly reduced by using a fan filter, or running the fan from the 12V rail using manual speed control with a rheostat, or better still a thermistor attached to the CPU.

Some aftermarket fans come with both options.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020