IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

2 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

No problem, buddy. It's more like 30 bucks when it's converted from 200 RMB but obviously they've gotta jack that up in order to cover free economy international shipping that could very well take weeks if not months.

And then it's kinda funny that LT3042 was added to the end simply because that should help them with matching more searches. Actually they do sell another module with a single piece of LT3042 but it's somewhat expensive for only 0.2A output

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LT3042-ultra-low-noise-voltage-regulator-module/273013276211

BTW, their Chinglish translations totally cracked me up when I was checking other products.

Thinking about it I do have a 8,4v lithium battery pack collecting dust. I could just try it with the MS-HPULN and see how it compares to MS-HPULN> LPS-1.2 in that spot which is just taking care of the galvanic isolation of the BluWave board. Not powering the actual board.

Chinglish is always amusing to read. I had a lot of fun in the past using Google translate from Swedish to Finnish. My friend from Finland and I had a lot of laughs when he accurately translated it back to Swedish! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

A question regarding LPS-1.2. Have anyone tried to feed the LPS-1.2 with a battery pack? Since LPS-1.2 is somewhat sensitive to the feeder supply IME it could be an interesting thing to try. I do have a 16.8v (6A) lithium battery pack that I could try. It is in storage at the moment so I’ll need to dig it out. It would be helpful if someone knows if it is worth a persue or not?

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

A question regarding LPS-1.2. Have anyone tried to feed the LPS-1.2 with a battery pack? Since LPS-1.2 is somewhat sensitive to the feeder supply IME it could be an interesting thing to try. I do have a 16.8v (6A) lithium battery pack that I could try. It is in storage at the moment so I’ll need to dig it out. It would be helpful if someone knows if it is worth a persue or not?

im trialed with 12v lithium ion  20000mah ,very good sounding!but not the best

On 7/21/2018 at 9:28 AM, seeteeyou said:

Too late to edit my post above, here's a little something

https://youtu.be/0BMk_dBIQjY

DC input is exactly 15V so that's perfect for the output voltage of LT3045

UW1mdbg.jpg

Oh I see, its the use of "massive game changer" as a descriptor! ?

Meh, 44K -> 705K PCM doesn't take that much horsepower. My dual Celeron J1900M ASRock board for $80 runs Windows 10 and XXHE just great. It also runs HQPlayer in PCM mode (but forget DSD that's what takes real horsepower). You can reclock it, LPS it, take it apart and rebuild it, replace caps etc. to your hearts content without breaking the bank ... in fact this is the board that I have multiples of which I used for my own experiments in reclocking, LPS etc. and to which I added an Intel x520 NIC and a reclocked Paul Pang USB out ... in fact since I moved to the ClearFog to interface my iFi Micro BL, I use this with my Phasure NOS1a/G3 so I'm not just talking theory, rather years of experience with many networks, clocks, etc. When did you first replace a clock? Have you ever built one? Ever soldered an LT3045? Ever built a discrete regulator? Ever designed one and then built it and then used it? Hardly just theory with me.

The best quote: "If this doesn't make you shit your pants, you aren't an audiophile!"

... brought me back to the 1970's marketing of "Crazy Eddie" if anyone here grew up in the Northeast USA ?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

9 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Finally!  I can run my phased array radar system without stuff breaking down all the time ‼️

He he, or a multibit (12-14) DSD DAC that runs at 5 Ghz ... that's roughly DSD100000 ... really massive ?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

it -does- have plenty of power; and the multiple uses increases sales volume, allowing them to amortize design costs, so maybe it will be cost-effective for audio

GPUs will likely plummet once there is one in every GameBoy and car on the hwy...

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Finally done with this "mother of all DC cables" mod. Two hours in, sq has taken another leap. More then worth the purchase of $60 of Molex tooling. It will curious to hear what the next 48 hours brings.

Thanks to Rajiv for the idea!

20180715_171957.jpg

Looks cool and large...relative to the shelving!  Recipe?

Finally done with this "mother of all DC cables" mod. Two hours in, sq has taken another leap. More then worth the purchase of $60 of Molex tooling. It will curious to hear what the next 48 hours brings.

20180715_171957.jpg

I'm very interested! What are we looking at in the picture? 

Is it a double barrelled Gotham with the shields joined together? 

Sorry, that's a 12 volt EPU/CPU cable made with two runs of Gotham Gac 4/1 ultra pro in a JSSG 360 configuration. With my Intel 6700k processor it's probably carrying up to 100 watts at various stages in the boot process, and therefore is the highest current DC cable in the system.

Rajiv gave me the idea of using two cables instead of one, such as we have seen done by Cornan. With four conductors in a cable this was a straight forward use of the GAC 4.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

20180715_171957.jpg

3 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Sorry, that's a 12 volt EPU/CPU cable made with two runs of Gotham Gac 4/1 ultra pro in a JSSG 360 configuration. With my Intel 6700k processor it's probably carrying up to 100 watts at various stages in the boot process, and therefore is the highest current DC cable in the system.

Rajiv gave me the idea of using two cables instead of one. With four conductors in a cable this was a straight forward use of the GAC 4.

Hah - like I'm some kind of genius! Not.

If you know set theory - I just applied the UNION operation for my idea by posing the question: perhaps (Larry U Cornan) = Nirvana.

9 hours ago, Cornan said:

10 hours ago, hurka said:

im trialed with 12v lithium ion  20000mah ,very good sounding!but not the best

What was the best then? ?

Perhaps the problem is due to the internal electronics that are used for protection?

I use a 12V 15,000mAH Li Ion battery, and if I plug it directly into my JLH PSU-add on, which has a very large initial inrush current, it shuts down. I use a relay to reduce the inrush current to  the JLH for several hundred milliseconds to overcome that limitation.

It is also best to use a relatively small value electrolytic capacitor across the input terminals of the device to be powered to reduce any HF noise from the battery.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

12 hours ago, lmitche said:

Can I ask whether or not it makes sense to move the chord gear discussion into another thread? I think this thread is a diy thread at heart, and discussion of $5 to 10k pieces from a single manufacturer feels like the opposite to me.

Thanks for the consideration.

Fair enough. Since this was at a head-fi event, I posted my impressions there: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-blu-mk-2-the-official-thread.831343/page-269#post-14375610

using two cables instead of one, such as we have seen done by Cornan. With four conductors in a cable this was a straight forward use of the GAC 4.

What is wiring of 8 conductors?

My thinking is important to impedance lowering that full circuit (V+, V-) in (each) star-quad cable.

14 minutes ago, look&listen said:

What is wiring of 8 conductors?

My thinking is important to impedance lowering that full circuit (V+, V-) in (each) star-quad cable.

I did one cable ve+, second ve- all four conductors on one or the other. You could be right about alternating them, I don't know.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Ha, not I.  Shall be interesting to see if Rob's claims (again) that his switching power supply coming with the m-scaler will be superior to any LPSU.  Could be possible for the m-scaler performance but lost in kickback of noise to other components on the same circuit.  Will the Paul Hynes SR7 prevail over Rob's switching power supply?   

I probably won't find out till next summer, adding this last piece of the puzzle to make my system complete.  Not that it doesn't sound great as is.  That will complete for hopefully a long period of time any additional components or upgrades.  Just minor tweaks like cables, etc. DIY.

Thanks Larry for the heads up on the shielding design for cables.  I just made a nice one about 8 inches long from my SR7 (XLR) to NUC (barrel connector) using Canare 4S6, 1st shield 1/4" Metal Braid, 12mm heat shrink, 2nd shield 3/8" Metal Braid, 12mm heat shrink, a little 18mm heat shrink over the XLR.  Came out nice.  I got rid of those screw barrel connectors, they we're awful over time.  Connectors all soldered.    I'll probably do all my cables, including SATA and clock cables with the 360, to protect from RF noise penetration.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

6 hours ago, sandyk said:

Perhaps the problem is due to the internal electronics that are used for protection?

I use a 12V 15,000mAH Li Ion battery, and if I plug it directly into my JLH PSU-add on, which has a very large initial inrush current, it shuts down. I use a relay to reduce the inrush current to  the JLH for several hundred milliseconds to overcome that limitation.

It is also best to use a relatively small value electrolytic capacitor across the input terminals of the device to be powered to reduce any HF noise from the battery.

It sounds like a plausible explenation. Cannot be sure though. All I know is that LPS-1.2 seems to like good & steady regulation on the feeder supply while it does´nt seem to like additional LT3045 regulation (LT3045 1A, MS-HPULN or LS-HPULN) post it (even if additional Kemets on the DC cable do improve SQ according to my very own ears). The 3A/12v MS-HPULN as feeder regulation have repeatedly improved the LPS-1.2 performance at my place. 

🎛️  Audio System  

6 hours ago, hurka said:

Lot of variation here,sigma 11 on the way,so this time I prefer some independent nesscap(digital stuff), dac analog stage linear power.

So in your opinion ultracaps powering LPS-1.2 (with ultracaps) is the best solution so far? ISO Regen (feeding BluWave board) do like my  Balanced AC-AC ps>Sigma 11>MS-HPULN>LT3045 1A LPSU solution, so LPS-1.2 might like a similar solution too (but without LT3045 1A ofcourse since it requires ~36w at the input).

🎛️  Audio System  

2 minutes ago, Cornan said:

So in your opinion ultracaps powering LPS-1.2 (with ultracaps) is the best solution so far? ISO Regen (feeding BluWave board) do like my  Balanced AC-AC ps>Sigma 11>MS-HPULN>LT3045 1A LPSU solution, so LPS-1.2 might like a similar solution too (but without LT3045 1A ofcourse since it requires ~36w at the input).

iso regen feeding bluwave think not so good.better you use independent power both(I tested with singxer).  Sigma 11 arrive soon,i hope  better than lt1084 board. If Sparky usb and auralic mini similar sq(don't know),then x10sba mobo big jump in SQ.

ucaps powering lps1.2 insane category.....

Just now, hurka said:

iso regen feeding bluwave think not so good.better you use independent power both(I tested with singxer).  Sigma 11 arrive soon,i hope  better than lt1084 board. If Sparky usb and auralic mini similar sq(don't know),then x10sba mobo big jump in SQ.

ucaps powering lps1.2 insane category.....

You´ve got to know that I use the MS-HPULN>LPS-1.2 feeding the output of the BluWave board as well. ISO Regen is just supplying USB power to the BluWave board required by Brooklyn DAC (which needs the USB power even when used at the Spdif input).

🎛️  Audio System