IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

11 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Because I connect my NAS to the switch and I run backups to it.  Those backups take much much longer on 10/100.

TLS is https://thelinearsolution.com/ocxo_switch.html

ahhh go it.  Makes total sense.  In my case, my audio network is almost entirely separate from my home network.   I use a wireless AC bridge to stream music from my NAS connected to my router upstairs.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

2 hours ago, elan120 said:

Just received the Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L switch couple hours ago, and decided to take a quick test drive to see how this switch is performing.  Initial listening impression is quite good, but a couple of A/B test with my modded ZyXEL switch, it is falling somewhat behind, which shows having a better clock is quite critical.

Not wanting to stop here, I connected the new Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L to JS-2 set at 12V, the improvement isn't subtle, making it closer to the modded ZyXEL switch, but my preference is still with ZyXEL.  Looks like I will have two modification projects soon, where I will continue to replace both of voltage regulators in ZyXEL to the linear voltage regulators, and start check into what other mods I could do besides the two clocks in Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L to make it sing better.

I thought the Cisco Catalyst switch required AC power input?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

4 hours ago, tboooe said:

I thought the Cisco Catalyst switch required AC power input?

Correct. However, Lite-On 341-0208-01 would actually output 12V to the input of motherboard and therefore the PSU mod should be pretty much the same deal as how they're upgrading this "audiophile" switch Buffalo BS-GS2016/A

http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=107184

As shown in those pictures, Kenneth Lau simply removed that "disposable" SMPS as well as the original IEC inlet. Then he installed his own LPS with 12V output, Audio Note Kaisei electrolytic caps, and also that IEC inlet Furutech FI-06 NCF afterwards.

IMHO the most cost effective way should be finding a power source with 14V output and connect that to the first LT3045-A. It's gonna output 13V and then we'll connect that to our second LT3045. Finally that's giving us 12V and we could connect that to the input of the motherboard accordingly

http://www.ldovr.com/product-p/lt3045-a.htm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LT3045-A-Ultralow-noise-0-8-Vrms-LDO-linear-regulator-0V-15V-1A-Fixed-out-/253378132579

Of course it's even better if we're tracing what other regulators are found on the motherboard itself, then we could simply bypass them with the right LT3045 combo in series.

1 hour ago, seeteeyou said:

Correct. However, Lite-On 341-0208-01 would actually output 12V to the input of motherboard and therefore the PSU mod should be pretty much the same deal as how they're upgrading this "audiophile" switch Buffalo BS-GS2016/A

http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=107184

As shown in those pictures, Kenneth Lau simply removed that "disposable" SMPS as well as the original IEC inlet. Then he installed his own LPS with 12V output, Audio Note Kaisei electrolytic caps, and also that IEC inlet Furutech FI-06 NCF afterwards.

IMHO the most cost effective way should be finding a power source with 14V output and connect that to the first LT3045-A. It's gonna output 13V and then we'll connect that to our second LT3045. Finally that's giving us 12V and we could connect that to the input of the motherboard accordingly

http://www.ldovr.com/product-p/lt3045-a.htm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LT3045-A-Ultralow-noise-0-8-Vrms-LDO-linear-regulator-0V-15V-1A-Fixed-out-/253378132579

Of course it's even better if we're tracing what other regulators are found on the motherboard itself, then we could simply bypass them with the right LT3045 combo in series.

Thank you.  I understand now.  Seems like a very simply mod, exactly like what has been done with the SU-1.

Other components:

10 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Thank you.  I understand now.  Seems like a very simply mod, exactly like what has been done with the SU-1.

That is exactly what it is.  Takes few minutes to get the stock AC-DC power supply removed, and then solder on new connector to accept either 5.5x2.1 or 5.5x2.5mm plug.  Other than getting a blank plate for it, it is a very simple mod.  Other than the JS-2 power supply I used, switch can be powered by LPS-1.2 as well, since the current consumption (550~560mA @ 12V) is well within its spec.

I got an email from May for a new edition of sMS-200 which is (Neo)

SOtM is going to release the sMS-200 Neo and sMS-200ultra Neo. They are a newer version of the original sMS-200 and sMS-200ultra, and sound colors and sound characteristic are different from the original version. The Neo has deeper mid-range and better bass expressions compared to the original version. And the original version has little more dynamics and presents bright sound compared to Neo version. With such changes, the overall balance of Neo becomes richer and brings musical inspiration.

Pricing and Availability

The price is the same as the standard version.

If you would like to change your current standard version to Neo version, the following price would be required

-      Keep the front panel to the same as original : USD30 

-      Change the front panel to the Neo : USD80

The component inside of original version have been changed and selected new component for Neo, so the standard version will be discontinued and Neo version is going to be available from the first week of August. Pre order is available from now on.

About SOtM 

SOtM is a very special brand which can deliver the Soul Of the Music through the cutting edge audio technology. SOtM will become the most important partner in your music life.”

47 minutes ago, beautiful music said:

SOtM is going to release the sMS-200 Neo and sMS-200ultra Neo. They are a newer version of the original sMS-200 and sMS-200ultra, and sound colors and sound characteristic are different from the original version. The Neo has deeper mid-range and better bass expressions compared to the original version. And the original version has little more dynamics and presents bright sound compared to Neo version. With such changes, the overall balance of Neo becomes richer and brings musical inspiration.

Pricing and Availability

If you would like to change your current standard version to Neo version, the following price would be required

The component inside of original version have been changed and selected new component for Neo, so the standard version will be discontinued and Neo version is going to be available from the first week of August. Pre order is available from now on.

About SOtM 

SOtM is a very special brand which can deliver the Soul Of the Music through the cutting edge audio technology. SOtM will become the most important partner in your music life.”

This is consistent with the other things SOtM has said about the Neo.  It does not appear to be an upgrade; it is merely a sonic rebalance, making the unit more "tube like."  There are plenty of folks, especially in the younger crowd, who prefer sonic neutrality, so I don't understand why they are discontinuing the current models. 

Nothing SOtM has said thus far moves me to ship my unit across the continent for refitting, even if the conversion were reversable.  Perhaps there will be more to the change than SOtM is saying.  We can  hope! :)

Front ends:

Digital: Sonore ultraRendu or SOtM 200 ultra Trifecta --> LKS MH-D004

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC --> Rogue Triton

Back end: SMc Audio VRE-1C --> SMc Audio DNA125 Platinum Plus-->Stealth Dream v10 cables --> Ridge Street Audio Designs Sason speakers, dual Rhythmik F12SE subs

1 hour ago, beautiful music said:

Pricing and Availability

About SOtM 

Some more details here:

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

6 hours ago, elan120 said:

Network switch mod - part-3

This is my ZyXEL network switch mod part-3, and likely be the final phase other than perhaps little tweak here and there in the future. 

The main focus for this mod is in the input power supply section.  Stock switch MB has two switch mode regulators (AP1513), it has fairly high ripple noise at around 22~24mV level, obviously they both are replaced with LT3045-A (1A regulator board), I also removed the stock input bypass cap since it will no longer be used, removed stock output feedback resistor dividers to help lower output current consumption, replaced both output bypass electrolytic caps with low ESR aluminum organic polymer caps, added thermal pads on the bottom of both LT3045-A's to better conduct heat to the switch enclosure, and finally, added EMI/RFI absorber sheet on inside top cover.

How do all these work in the end?  An obvious step up in background darkness level, both clarity and detail retrial improved, gained both depth and width in sound stage, makes the music playback more engaging and relaxing.  I am quite pleased with the end result, which proves once again how damaging those low cost switch mode regulators can negatively impact overall SQ.

As before, in case anyone is interested in the details, here are some pictures:

Stock step down power supply section:

20180710_132438.thumb.jpg.b70a19b6b6b950a6daa31294452c7a55.jpg

Input bypass cap, output bypass caps, and inductors removed:

20180710_131509.thumb.jpg.507b3eb7a643ca07586e8ae26f784aa6.jpg

Both stock switch mode regulators removed, and new input bypass caps installed:

20180710_132536.thumb.jpg.da8af689c8cfb29f2316028521449129.jpg

EMI/RFI absorbor sheet installed on inside of top cover:

20180708_114026.thumb.jpg.b5e90c7101329810be8b719988bde7d8.jpg

Current carrier board with newly added input aluminum organic polymer cap:

20180708_113101.thumb.jpg.39ac6e617f7d7b31ae74f9ea1e919f1b.jpg

Nice mod elan.

Do you have a modem/router upstream from this switch? Try giving that one a good psu. I put a ifi ipower on it and liked sq jump. So if that works better regulator and clock would work too, wouldn't it?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

4 hours ago, RickyV said:

Nice mod elan.

Do you have a modem/router upstream from this switch? Try giving that one a good psu. I put a ifi ipower on it and liked sq jump. So if that works better regulator and clock would work too, wouldn't it?

Hi @RickyV,

Yes, I do, and similar to your finding, It does sound better after I changed out the stock wall wart with linear power supply.  Now that I have completed this switch mod, its time to start investigate the possibilities of additional mods, hopefully some of these modifications used on this switch can also be applied to modem/router and other upstream components and gain additional benefits.

I may have missed the solution buried in this massive thread how to turn WS2016 into a music server. Officially there is no

media pack for WS2016, but too many have this OS in their audiophile server set up

I manage with bridging the following:

The red and the blue ports of the NUC are bridged with a fixed ip number in WS2016

the mobile phone ( with its simple DLNA player app) sees the UltraRendu and the other (windows 10) PC  connected to router and its library ( media streaming allowed)

But it does not see the NUC or its shared folders

Any help how to accomplish it?  When it works then I can apply AO 2.2 hopefully

image.png

5 minutes ago, kyrill said:

I may have missed the solution buried in this massive thread how to turn WS2016 into a music server. Officially there is no

media pack for WS2016, but too many have this OS in their audiophile server set up

I manage with bridging the following:

The red and the blue ports of the NUC are bridged with a fixed ip number in WS2016

the mobile phone ( with its simple DLNA player app) sees the UltraRendu and the other (windows 10) PC  connected to router and its library ( media streaming allowed)

But it does not see the NUC or its shared folders

Any help how to accomplish it?  When it works then I can apply AO 2.2 hopefully

image.png

I assume you bridged in GUI mode of Server 2016?  Can you ping the NUC from other computers on your network?  Can your mobile phone see the NUC and its folders when you dont have a bridge?

Other components:

yes Gui mode

the other computer (PC) does  see  itself and the NUC under computers, when NUC is clicked the , NUC asks for its psswrd and name. I have not set that up

when the PC clicks itself it shows its shared folders in library. The PC sees also the Urendu under media devices

The NUC itself sees itself now under computers and  when clicked itself it shows empty folder

It does not see the PC under computers but under media devices. The NUC also sees the Urendu under media devices

The mobile phone sees only  the PC ( and its library) under media server and not the NUC. It sees the Urendu and plays teh PC library or shoutcast to the Urendu

1) with ping in cmd how do i find the ip number of the NUC in order to ping it? is it the manual ip number given to the bridge? That can be pinged

thx for the response :)

Ok I missed "without the bridge"

minus bridge ( both E-ports removed from bridge, bridge survived) with dhcp from router NUC NIC gets a 192.168.xx ip number which can be pinged from both NUC and PC  but it is still invisible on the android phone

USB Cable Phasure Lush

I have read a lot of good things on this forum and others on the Lush USB cable .

I was lucky to find a used one for sale in holland and it arrived home early this week .

I was really shocked by how good is this cable  .  My current cable is no slouch however it is the Jcat Reference , which gave me good service for the past two years .

The Lush is so much more analogic and like real life , bass is much better . With the Lush you just want to listen on and on ...

It did not give more details than with the Jcat however it does seems to be more transparent ; probably because to my brain the Lush looks much closer to real music .

I did observe also that foot tapping was very active with the lush ?

My next step of course is to make it JSSG360 .

A truly great USB cable for music lovers !

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

18 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

USB Cable Phasure Lush

I have read a lot of good things on this forum and others on the Lush USB cable .

I was lucky to find a used one for sale in holland and it arrived home early this week .

I was really shocked by how good is this cable  .  My current cable is no slouch however it is the Jcat Reference , which gave me good service for the past two years .

The Lush is so much more analogic and like real life , bass is much better . With the Lush you just want to listen on and on ...

It did not give more details than with the Jcat however it does seems to be more transparent ; probably because to my brain the Lush looks much closer to real music .

I did observe also that foot tapping was very active with the lush ?

My next step of course is to make it JSSG360 .

A truly great USB cable for music lovers !

+1...I have done JSSG360 on mine, and is providing another step up in SQ.

I am thinking if i have the guts to remove the outer sleeve of lush cable and see whats what, and then do a 360 on it.?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

On 7/7/2018 at 5:49 PM, jean-michel6 said:

Yes I was comparing both unit on their aes/ebu output and both were powered by lps 1 . I did receive my lps 1.2after I made this comparison.  

The matrix was was more transparent than the sotm and medium high and top end was smoother .Overall it was nicer and sounding more analogic. Soundstage was also improved. 

For the time being I still run with the sotm because I am using the 2 extra clock of the clockboard and I want also to test the external 10mhz ref clock. 

But in the near future I intend to move to the matrix. 

My matrix arrived today (ordered last friday) and I'll be testing/comparing tomorrow.

It is 'warming up' on a generic 9v supply overnight, then I'll switch it in and out for the sotm using my lps1.2.

I have a lps1.0 on my ultraRendu and may try swapping the two power supplies, but I assume the better supply should

be closest to the DAC.

Thanks for the recommendation!

On 6/30/2018 at 2:45 AM, BigAlMc said:

Up until now my lack of technical chops had put me off. Though I need to admit being very intrigued by @austinpops efforts and method. More on that in a minute.

Just ordered two JSSG360 from Ghent. 

One standard DC-DC for my LPS-1.2 to TX-USBultra. 

The other DC to Hirose HR10 thingy for my SPS-500 to sCLK-OCX10 

Looking forward to trying out @lmitcheJSSG360 inspiration for myself.

Question for Larry, Rajiv or the gang. 

So it looks like I have the DC part covered but I've been thinking about the other obvious suspects. In my case that would be the 1 metre LAN cable between switch and server, the 2 x 1 metre USB cables from server to TX-USBultra and onwards to DAC. And the 1.5m clock BNC cable. 

Even with Rajivs simple method the lengths of the cables seems a bit daunting. Not to mention the concern over vandalising some fairly expensive (and attractive) cables. 

The ethernet cable is the Sablon which ironically just displaced the Ghent JSSG Lan cable that served me very well to date. 

The USB cables are the Curious and the Sablon Reserva. Both of separate the power from the data with a separate run. An exposed copper wire for the Curious. A separate covered run for the Sablon. If you look closely at pic there are two runs, each separately covered. 

Any thoughts on whether these USB cables having separate power and data runs is likely to be a factor if applying JSSG360 to them? 

Are my concerns on the length of the cables justified? 

Also Rajiv, how reversible do you think your JSSG360 approach is? These are fairly expensive cables if I botch it?

Cheers, 

Alan 

PS Ghent is a pleasure to deal with and very reliable, for those considering ordering from him. 

images.jpeg

Alan, did you end up trying the JSSG360 methods on your Sablon Audio USB and Ethernet cables?  I have them both on demo now from Sablon and they are so damn good!  No way I am sending them back to Sablon.  Curious though if this process would further improve them (although I can't imagine it because they seem like absolute perfection "as is").

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Based on @lmitche recommendation and my use of gotham cable as interconnects for the past 15 years.  I got some gac ultra pro 4/1 cable to use as DC power and 1 interconnect from Dac to preamp.  The first cable I made up was the inteconnet from dac to preamp.  As you know this cable can easily be used as a JSSG 360 by twisting the inner conductor shields together with the two outer shields.  I chose another path.  From some earlier DIY projects I had some 70mm dupont leads on hand which I cut in half.  When I built this cable I kept the inner conductor shields separated from the outer shields, I then soldered these dupont leads to each shield at each end.  I then ran 2 separate 24ga wires from end to end also with dupont connectors so I could effectively, vary how I wanted this shielding to run.  I could run it with only the inner shield as a JSSG and outer disconnected, or connect just the outer and leave inner disconnected.  I could connect inner and outer making a JSSG 360 or I could run both shields separate from each other, effectively making a jssg for inner and jssg for outer but not connected together.  And finally I could disconnect the shields altogether so there was no JSSG effect.  Heres a photo of the IC set up.

1787846474_Gac4UPgrounding.thumb.jpg.ab59916ce92fef07586f3a2736e77dbe.jpg

As you can see with the duponts I can easily switch how my shielding is set up.  So I set about experimenting.  After a lot of back and forth listening to parts of several songs over and over I decided that I preferred running my shields separate and not in a traditional JSSG 360, by seperate I mean the inner shields are connected together, and the outer shields are connected together but there is no continuity between the two. Whereas a traditional JSSG 360 the inner and outer shields would be connected together at each end of the cable forming a loop between the inner and outer.

I PM'd Larry about this but have not heard back from him, btw does anyone know if he is he okay? I sure hope so.  So if you want try this set up as opposed to a traditional JSSG360 I'd be curious on your results.  Now to be fair this test was only using a analog interconnect I have not done this test on my dc cables as there 4 of them (in my system) and I just haven't had the will to try the various schemes on those. I am running them as separate inner and outer tho based on my IC results.

6 hours ago, Blake said:

Alan, did you end up trying the JSSG360 methods on your Sablon Audio USB and Ethernet cables?  I have them both on demo now from Sablon and they are so damn good!  No way I am sending them back to Sablon.  Curious though if this process would further improve them (although I can't imagine it because they seem like absolute perfection "as is").

Hi @Blake,

Nope, not yet. Combination of I've just been busy including some travel and partly just chickening out ?

If I do decide to give it a go I'll start with another cable, perhaps the Curious USB and the Sablon would be last in the queue. 

On another note my JSSG360 DC cables from Ghent Audio arrived and seem really well made. I'll try to post pictures later. But again I've not had a chance to try them out yet. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers