IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

17 minutes ago, jabbr said:

No, the Micro has an OTG connector on the input and typically you plug a Type A USB into the computer. OTG to Type A (full sized) are not common. Female Type A connectors can be used but the outer diameter means the fit into the OTG socket is variable, hence the problem...

The Micro has a full-size male Type A connector. There is no full-size OTG (5-pin) connector, only mini and micro.

21 minutes ago, jabbr said:

No, the Micro has an OTG connector on the input and typically you plug a Type A USB into the computer. OTG to Type A (full sized) are not common. Female Type A connectors can be used but the outer diameter means the fit into the OTG socket is variable, hence the problem...

USB A male screw terminal plugs are available. DC 2.1/5.5mm DC male plugs are available. DC 2.1/5.5mm to micro USB male adapters are available. Why not make your own short OTG? 

🎛️  Audio System  

31 minutes ago, mansr said:

The Micro has a full-size male Type A connector. There is no full-size OTG (5-pin) connector, only mini and micro.

The DAC has full sized Type A *Male* on the device which is recessed into a cutout intended to be used with the full sized end of an OTG cable as depicted here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/accessories/review-ifi-audio-micro-idsd-usb-otg-dac-t3350114

The full sized Type A female connector is purely so you can power an external item such as a phone, from the internal battery.

Point being you can’t use a normal USB cable to plug the DAC into a computer. You can, however, use an AQ Dragontail cable. 

Trust me. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

12 minutes ago, jabbr said:

The DAC has full sized Type A *Male* on the device which is recessed into a cutout intended to be used with the full sized end of an OTG cable as depicted here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/accessories/review-ifi-audio-micro-idsd-usb-otg-dac-t3350114

The full sized Type A female connector is purely so you can power an external item such as a phone, from the internal battery.

Point being you can’t use a normal USB cable to plug the DAC into a computer. You can, however, use an AQ Dragontail cable. 

Trust me. 

Yes, you need a cable with a female Type A connector. That may or may not be an OTG cable. If the other end is a full-size male Type A, it is not.

4 hours ago, Bruce Orr said:

Thanks, Rajiv.  If all goes well by end of day Tues I will have 2 dedicated circuits.  Jim could never get his special wire but with his counsel I will be using 6/2 with 19 twisted strands and a solid core #10 ground wire.Really looking forward to listening.

Separately, have experienced a nice little SQ bump adding 2 Bybee iQSE blocks. I placed one on top of each of the LSP-1.2s powering the SoTM Ultra-tx and the clocked, modded switch. It took a 24 hour burn in.  

Where are you sourcing the 6/2 wire with 19 twisted strands?

You may want to try the iQSE blocks in your electrical panel.

19 minutes ago, austinpop said:

This should allow me to build JSSG 360 without a heat gun.

Does your Wife/GF have a hair dryer ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Thanks, mate! Based on your details, and some advice from @mozes, I am putting in an Amazon order for:

This should allow me to build JSSG 360 without a heat gun. Once the goodies arrive, I will see how I get on and keep y'all posted.

Rajiv 

You may want to try this https://www.amazon.com/Everflow-812-Thread-Plumbers-White/dp/B06XCWQ4D2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1529299525&sr=8-4&keywords=teflon+plumbers+tape&dpID=41VecOG9clL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

it is very easy to work with it just need to be .2 mm thick. 

The sticky electric tape will make your cable somewhat stiffer. 

I am using the Teflon tape , no tools needed and it work real welll .

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

This should allow me to build JSSG 360 without a heat gun. Once the goodies arrive, I will see how I get on and keep y'all posted.

I'm also trying to avoid getting a heat gun for my first experiment. So I'll be trying a hairdrier (which may not get hot enough) and am still deliberating whether it would be brave, or foolish, to put the cable in an oven fo the shortest possible time. The temperature range required tends to be between about 70C - 120C (presumably the highest temp for maximum shrinkage). If I chicken out of the oven option, then the teflon tape idea sounds very promising to maintain flexibility and easy to apply/remove.

One thing to consider when ordering the copper braiding: the circular tube size typically relates to its diameter, whereas the flat variety you have linked relates to the width of the flat sleeve, which will be overall smaller for the same quoted value. 

1 hour ago, TheAttorney said:

I'm also trying to avoid getting a heat gun for my first experiment. So I'll be trying a hairdrier (which may not get hot enough) and am still deliberating whether it would be brave, or foolish, to put the cable in an oven fo the shortest possible time. The temperature range required tends to be between about 70C - 120C (presumably the highest temp for maximum shrinkage). If I chicken out of the oven option, then the teflon tape idea sounds very promising to maintain flexibility and easy to apply/remove.

One thing to consider when ordering the copper braiding: the circular tube size typically relates to its diameter, whereas the flat variety you have linked relates to the width of the flat sleeve, which will be overall smaller for the same quoted value. 

I can highly recommend the Dremel 2000-6 kit that I use for all of my DIY purposes. It has tips for most normal uses, inkl soldering tip, heat cutter tip & heat gun tip. Works a charm and does’nt cost a fortune! ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-Versatip-2000-6-Soldering-Accessories/dp/B000QGC6XW

2DEA636F-C303-4E74-A711-BF053EA692EE.thumb.jpeg.8ebaba4a38217cf211c15eeccf9fd564.jpeg

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, TheAttorney said:

A heat gun melts heat shrink where you want it shrink. A hair drier is not hot enough and doesn’t concentrate in the one area.

Also possible to use a soldering iron barrel with some distance, but a heat gun is on for 20s or less and they are cheap enough.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

10 minutes ago, Bricki said:

BTW. I was going to mention in my previous post but ran out of time.

The reason I have 5kg door stoppers on top of each component is not because I'm insane, but rather I am using them to balance each component on top of 2 small constrained layer dampening discs. The manufacturer says to put 2 of them under the feet of each component but I have had better results with them in direct contact with the chassis and you only need 2 for each component. They come in boxes of 16 and are far more affordable than most other vibration control systems. Once you get them under every component and your speakers and amp - the difference is enormous. Image focus is greatly improved. On my amp I only use 3 sets of 2 on little wooden blocks from my kids toy box with the discs in direct contact with the bottom of the chassis. Much better bass, much smoother and cleaner treble extension and space between images. 

They even make a difference under my modem/router for tidal streaming. My theory is that they are helping to stabilise the oscillators. But I have had the best results with them under my speakers (between the tops of my stands and the bottom of my speakers). Much better image focus and a much cleaner edge on vocals and blacker backgrounds. 

And of course the other advantage of 5kg door stoppers is to hold each component down when using thicker cables and the cable wants to tell the component where to go. The door stopper makes the component boss again ?

IMAG0254.thumb.jpg.e084de12cfb4d09a813fedcaf3067a4b.jpg

IMAG0253.thumb.jpg.67d454d8631f0ccbe278f0e45b1451dd.jpg

No, you’re not insane! ? I use 18 pcs Entreq Catfoot’s all over the place with great results (under and over equipment).FF2C24E7-24D6-47CB-A71C-8AFEC7B3CCC8.thumb.jpeg.24088b100e73f2c733eb13a8a2f3bb91.jpeg515606FA-932B-43FA-8F10-8D49907A089F.thumb.jpeg.958551df81cc15c82b5641e8ff21c49a.jpegE3819011-3D6E-4C25-A1E0-035402B67D1B.thumb.jpeg.dbb91e4cfc7bfa711a26e26434f9babd.jpeg8D0D243B-34C2-415D-90A8-F27724D774B2.thumb.jpeg.66d9d0a0534d96f4a54d31c220395b50.jpegE4158F66-AF98-48D1-A390-5384348BC820.thumb.jpeg.43bb2a294cd7f7dbb798822da8ac4739.jpeg14192A92-D760-49EB-B6AD-B616945BF460.thumb.jpeg.bcb90e0387b1bd3363dcd25f18d41917.jpeg Perticularly effective between my Atacama SL400i speaker stands top plate (w/IKEA bamboo butcher board base) and my Gibson Les Paul 8. ? 

🎛️  Audio System  

14 minutes ago, Cornan said:

No, you’re not insane! ? I use 18 pcs Entreq Catfoot’s all over the place with great results (under and over equipment).FF2C24E7-24D6-47CB-A71C-8AFEC7B3CCC8.thumb.jpeg.24088b100e73f2c733eb13a8a2f3bb91.jpeg515606FA-932B-43FA-8F10-8D49907A089F.thumb.jpeg.958551df81cc15c82b5641e8ff21c49a.jpegE3819011-3D6E-4C25-A1E0-035402B67D1B.thumb.jpeg.dbb91e4cfc7bfa711a26e26434f9babd.jpeg8D0D243B-34C2-415D-90A8-F27724D774B2.thumb.jpeg.66d9d0a0534d96f4a54d31c220395b50.jpegE4158F66-AF98-48D1-A390-5384348BC820.thumb.jpeg.43bb2a294cd7f7dbb798822da8ac4739.jpeg14192A92-D760-49EB-B6AD-B616945BF460.thumb.jpeg.bcb90e0387b1bd3363dcd25f18d41917.jpeg Perticularly effective between my Atacama SL400i speaker stands top plate (w/IKEA bamboo butcher board base) and my Gibson Les Paul 8. ? 

Fantastic! ?. I have seen a number of photos of your equipment and can only imagine how it all must sound. Vibration control certainly can make a significant difference in a system. Those speakers look amazing too ?

7 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

Yes, me too. I plan to experiment with both electrical tape and the aforementioned teflon tape.

7 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

Ugh, you are correct, I missed that. @Bricki, @d_elm, you were the folks who mentioned using 3/8" braid for the Supra Ethernet cable. Was that the specified diameter, or the flat value?

This is the heat gun I have and it works well on heat shrinks, just to serve as an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-0503040-Digital-Settings-250%E1%B5%92F-1350%E1%B5%92F/dp/B00BV14VMA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1529337902&sr=8-5&keywords=wagner+heat+gun

I received Electriduct braid over the weekend, and compared to Belden tinned braid which I had, Belden is of much higher quality, though little more expensive, but in scheme of things something to consider. While shielding; better shield should yield better results in my opinion. Belden 8669 is a 1/2" dia, and they come in several sizes.

Alos, I did not find good selection of heat shrinks on Amazon, so this s a very good source for heat shrinks, I use their basic, non-glued 3-1 with good results. Glued gets very stiff and may never come-off, and knowing our track record, we might be doing something else on our cables in two months:

https://www.cableorganizer.com/heat-shrink/heat-shrink3.htm

4 minutes ago, sig8 said:

This is the heat gun I have and it works well on heat shrinks, just to serve as an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-0503040-Digital-Settings-250ᵒF-1350ᵒF/dp/B00BV14VMA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1529337902&sr=8-5&keywords=wagner+heat+gun

I received Electriduct braid over the weekend, and compared to Belden tinned braid which I had, Belden is of much higher quality, though little more expensive, but in scheme of things something to consider. While shielding; better shield should yield better results in my opinion. Belden 8669 is a 1/2" dia, and they come in several sizes.

Alos, I did not find good selection of heat shrinks on Amazon, so this s a very good source for heat shrinks, I use their basic, non-glued 3-1 with good results. Glued gets very stiff and may never come-off, and knowing our track record, we might be doing something else on our cables in two months:

Awesome.  This is great info on the shrink wrap.  3:1 and color options.  Not a bad price for length either.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, sig8 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-0503040-Digital-Settings-250ᵒF-1350ᵒF/dp/B00BV14VMA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1529337902&sr=8-5&keywords=wagner+heat+gun

Another vry good source for all things wire-ey...

https://www.wirecare.com/