IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

3 hours ago, BigGuy said:

<lmitche> has commented  on his discover of the Gotham Ultra Pro 4/1 and its use in fabbing a JSSG360 but pondered why it is demonstrably better than JSSG with wire.

Found this article which shows measured differences between various shield configurations...

<http://www.isgroup-international.com/pdfs/Wire_and_Cable_PDFs/wire_and_cable_electrical.pdf>

Very little has been said about muMetal shielding except, IIRC, someone using muMetal foil. 

Magnetic Shield Corp owns the copyright for both muMetal and Co-NETIC tradenames and sells braided shield...

<http://custommagneticshielding.magneticshield.com/viewitems/magnetic-shielding-for-wiring-applications/co-netic-aacableshield>

Prices/foot are $11.95, $12.95, $16.85, and $20.45 for 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 diameters respectively. 

They do have a $100 minimum but that should not be difficult.  ?

I could definitely see a JSSG360-MM being the next leap.

WoW good find 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

9 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Thank you for the pictures.

My understanding is how Bricki described.  No contact with the metal adapters, each tinned sleeve has contact at the ends.  Insulation between.

Bricki, did you insulate the external Curious wire from the tinned sleeve or does it have contact with it?

Did you solder the ends of the sleeves together?

Does it bend at all?

No I I didn't insulate the the 5v curious wire - I didn't think of that. I didn't solder the ends either, the two frayed ends of the braided tinned copper seemed to come together and "homogenise" quite nicely, so I slightly folded them back together and twisted them together even more before applying heat shrink. The Curious cable is already a very stiff cable, adding the JSSG 360 sleeve has stiffened it a little but I don't need it to bend much in my situation, only slightly off being straight 

18 hours ago, BigGuy said:

<lmitche> has commented  on his discover of the Gotham Ultra Pro 4/1 and its use in fabbing a JSSG360 but pondered why it is demonstrably better than JSSG with wire.

Found this article which shows measured differences between various shield configurations...

<http://www.isgroup-international.com/pdfs/Wire_and_Cable_PDFs/wire_and_cable_electrical.pdf>

Very little has been said about muMetal shielding except, IIRC, someone using muMetal foil. 

Magnetic Shield Corp owns the copyright for both muMetal and Co-NETIC tradenames and sells braided shield...

<http://custommagneticshielding.magneticshield.com/viewitems/magnetic-shielding-for-wiring-applications/co-netic-aacableshield>

Prices/foot are $11.95, $12.95, $16.85, and $20.45 for 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 diameters respectively. 

They do have a $100 minimum but that should not be difficult.  ?

I could definitely see a JSSG360-MM being the next leap.

This is interesting:

AA CABLE SHIELD® provides a flexible, continuously enclosed shielding barrier with distinct advantages over foil wrapping or rigid channeling, and is used to avoid pickup of unwanted external H-fields (D.C. to 100 kHz), or to mitigate radiation from cable and conductors.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

This is interesting:

Ive been using copper foil for shielding, having read up a bit it's good for shielding RF but not so good with EMI as opposed to the braid you've been using which is better at shielding EMI than RFI, so I guess the 2 methods should sound different? So I'm thinking

Hybrid JSSG360? :)

1 hour ago, LTG2010 said:

Ive been using copper foil for shielding, having read up a bit it's good for shielding RF but not so good with EMI as opposed to the braid you've been using which is better at shielding EMI than RFI, so I guess the 2 methods should sound different? So I'm thinking

Hybrid JSSG360? :)

It might be a good idea. We won't know until it's tried. Go for it!

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

2 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

Hope you can still bend the cable!  Yikes that would be a lot of layers. 

1 hour ago, chauphuong said:

Can I use copper tape as/instead of the outer tin braid?

The copper tape is very fine, doesn't take up much space, but its brittle and prone to cracking and needs to be held down somehow, so I suppose its best as the inner layer followed by your insulation to hold it down tightly and then the outer braid. But I don't see the harm in having the foil as the outer layer if you're careful when bending the cable.

With my SATA cables I  placed the foil following the contours of the cable so they would slot back into place.

Interestingly, the foil did not have such a big impact on the SATA cables as it did on the USB cable and I'm assuming it's because they are already foil wrapped. Therefore a layer of braid is called for I think next.

hmm, bought a  Startech GigE NIC (PCI) to try the bridged connection with my onboard GigE NIC (PICe), works wonderfully for audio resolution improvement as per start of thread but getting episodic BSOD crashes, EXPOOL_CORRUPTED. Have on  order an Intel dual port NIC (PCIe), hoping the cause is just a bad Realtek driver for bridging use that will go away with just the Intel NIC's in service. Wondering if anyone else has seen like problems with adding a second NIC?  Only other variable

is that USBridge link is FE vs router link is GigE

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

15 hours ago, davide256 said:

hmm, bought a  Startech GigE NIC (PCI) to try the bridged connection with my onboard GigE NIC (PICe), works wonderfully for audio resolution improvement as per start of thread but getting episodic BSOD crashes, EXPOOL_CORRUPTED. Have on  order an Intel dual port NIC (PCIe), hoping the cause is just a bad Realtek driver for bridging use that will go away with just the Intel NIC's in service. Wondering if anyone else has seen like problems with adding a second NIC?  Only other variable

is that USBridge link is FE vs router link is GigE

If you have update to version 1803 in Windows 10 you perhaps lost the file sharing on home network function. I did and could not use the bridged connection anymore.

56 minutes ago, Summit said:

If you have update to version 1803 in Windows 10 you perhaps lost the file sharing on home network function. I did and could not use the bridged connection anymore.

Interesting that they did away with Home Group but doesn't appear to be same problem. I have noticed that out of the blue, Windows 10 is denying opening hyperlinks in Outlook.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4092694/windows-10-changes-to-file-sharing-over-a-network

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=117309

You learn something new every day, an owner of Synology DiskStation DS3617xs compared both Main DSM and Virtual DSM recently. For some reasons running Roon from the latter one turned out to sound better when compared to the former one.

Do you guys know why a virtualized environment would come out on top? Transparency, dynamic, three-dimensionality, and more vivid as well.

24 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Its been a few weeks since I introduced the Holo Spring L3, newly SOtM modified motherboard, REF 10 and TLC switch into my system.  These are significant changes which I wanted to give time to burn in.  I've also been in the last class of an MBA program and have had time listen but not comparison test.  That's now complete so I'll be testing over the next few weeks and be able to share what all of this has done.

The bottom line is that the DAC and upsampling has had the biggest impact.  The sound has significantly changed from my low processing power, Audio Alchemy DAC system.

This weekend I was able to add the tinned copper sheath shielding.  I first added it to the Lush and server power cables from DC input to the HDPlex 400w adapter (my system does not run at 400w.  More like 100w or less).  I liked what I heard so much that last night I decided to sheath the other power cables inside the server.  I've also added a couple sheets of EMI/RF adhesive paper to the Spring, REF 10 and TLC switch.

I also installed Windows 2016 on to the SATA II drive to prepare for a comparison of that to the Optane drive.  My replacement SOtM SATA II filter should be here in the next day or so.  I'll add that, get some listening in, then add the Optane as a cache drive.  Then I'll switch over to the Optane as an OS drive.

Here are a few pictures of the server after I sheathed the power cables.  I'll likely sheath the external power cables at some point and hear if that makes a difference.

pc6.thumb.jpg.8873d05f58af4d218b02e6dde4c22677.jpgpc5.thumb.jpg.972b1d8a7cf3d749e25957551d9173cc.jpgpc3.thumb.jpg.7a5792837cbb02caf28adac270b81058.jpgpc2.thumb.jpg.2de4f48a281282f49fca200a76f42f84.jpg

Wow, it sounds like you're going to hear a massive upgrade

On 6/10/2018 at 10:46 PM, seeteeyou said:

http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=117309

You learn something new every day, an owner of Synology DiskStation DS3617xs compared both Main DSM and Virtual DSM recently. For some reasons running Roon from the latter one turned out to sound better when compared to the former one.

Do you guys know why a virtualized environment would come out on top? Transparency, dynamic, three-dimensionality, and more vivid as well.

If its a true VM, it has dedicated cores and memory allocation, no resource swapping. But that's not a home grade NAS, more of an enterprise level type of hardware solution.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Welcome to the Spring DAC, Upsampling and the Shielding world John! ;)  Quite a few really nice upgrades indeed! Add in all your other goodies and I bet your having a great time.  Now upgrade those cables with Gotham/Supra and according to Larry, another really nice improvement.  (I'm traveling most of this mos. so I'm a bit behind things already lol)

Have fun!

Chris

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

10 hours ago, Bricki said:

Supra cat8 JSSG 360 used as Ethernet cable to sMS-200 

??

Could you elaborate how you constructed the JSSG 360?

In particular, did you add 2 layers of tinned copper braid (with insulation in between), or one layer connected to Supra's existing shielding?

And did you start with terminated or unterminated Supra CAT8 cable?

Secondly, has anyone compared this JSSG 360 (or original JSSG) mod to mutiple ferrites on an unmodded cable?

I currently have mutiple ferrites (at least 20) on my 2M Supra CAT 8 (multiple ferrites have been very fashionable on the HF DAVE/BLU2 threads) and this gave much the same improvements as has been described for JSSG.

I'm now curious whether the JSSG 360 mod is more effective? Or are the benefits cumulative? I.e. would multiple ferrites  on top of JSSG 360 give even further improvements? The big downside of multiple ferrites is the bulk and weight they add to a cable - so a JSSG 360 solution would be physically more elegant.

Johnseye:  "...The bottom line is that the DAC and upsampling has had the biggest impact.  ..."

Thanks for the report - not surprising, I guess.  

I missed whether you did the other things after the DAC/sampling upgrades, but assume you did.

Can you characterize the effects of cable shielding as to magnitude and types of SQ differences?

Also sorry to hear you are MBAing into manglement...

Larry: Question for you:

1. What else can be used between two braided tin shields other than heat shrink? 

2. I plan on putting another TechFlex braided plastic shield on top of everything to avoid direct contact from one another when bunch of cables are running all over the place, is there any downside to that? Thanks.