IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

5 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

Wow, I was traveling today and there were 15 or so more posts since then!

I’ve found the PS regenerators helpful in my system / location.   We tend to have poor quality power - up to 4% THD and definite power factor issues.   So time of day and phase of the moon would change the SQ. 

The dedicated circuit wasn’t feasible at the time but I did make that move eventually.   Ted, you can have many runs but see which type panel you have and keep them on the same phase.  And put the fridge and microwave etc on the other!

i started with a Chang Lightspeed and then a Transparent Ref

conditioner.   I then tried a PS Power Plant Premier and ended up with 3 of them.  @austinpop mentioned not putting your amp on an UNDERSIZED regenerator.  I added the undersized caveat. Despite the specs for current delivery etc that are great with these things, I think they over rate them.  I now have a P10 for the front end a P10 for the amp only.  The P5 isnt even big enough for a front end with very many components.  I wouldn’t put

more than a few hundred watts load on it for it to perform its best.  The PPP and P10 have the same 1500 watt rating but the P10 is fine for my amp where the PPP wasn’t.  There is a reason why PS has introduced the P20!  I’ve also heard a solid demo on the big Stromtank unit out of

Germany.   Similar idea but wicked expensive and probably better than the PS.  Also, PS is now using DSD to generate the signal and not PCM.  ?  When it comes to

power, more is always better.  Oversized PSUs in components are usually better for SQ.  Heat be damned. 

I snagged a Topaz off eBay to try.  750VA 0.0005 cap -31 model and put my whole front end on it in place of the P10.  Hundreds vs thousands of $ is worth a try.  It collapsed the soundstage noticeably.  No question.  The newer PS units have some measurement and graphical capabilities so I plugged it into the Belkin power strip that I hardwired into the Topaz to see what I could see.  The THD was a little lower than the wall outlet and the waveform was just as bad.  Flat topped, skewed sine wave.  I dedicated the Topaz to my HQPlayer server and LPSU powered drives.  My NAAs are powered by Uptone JS-2s into a PS regenerator

I now also find find no difference with or without any DC neg grounding.  We do it in our industrial equipment because we never know what type of power environment it will live in, and factories are baaaaaad.  I plugged in a system once and watched the cable start to melt from the outlet being wired incorrectly at the panel!  We make a “transceiver” for 5 Hz - 5 MHz incorporating both a DDCDAC and an ADC so we also use a pretty serious Powervar power conditioner.  But, I think by now we all know about good grounding and power.   

So for my system, which consists of generally well engineered components, the benefits are there. Better soundstage, longer decays.  Does everybody’s system let you hear the ambience after a piece is over and before they cut off the recording?  Like the sheet

music fluttering and the whum whum whum of the HVAC. 

Maybe we should start a thread on Regenerators but I won’t do it, I’m convinced they are good in my system.  P10s are almost always available at US$2999.  P5s are almost never on sale and I can’t figure out why.  Maybe they cost to much to make?  Wouldn’t be the first product to suffer that fate.  I don’t know if they even make the P3 any more.  Maybe you could

power a headphone setup with it.  

Apologies in advance for typos, run on or incomplete sentences, etc.  I hate phone typing!

I have used Topaz in the past and find similar issues.  I only have a Akiko Corelli in my system now.  It gets rid of a lot of glare from high frequency interference.  Creates more clarity and frequency extension.  Has no pos/negative affect on dynamics.  Like its not there.  

I built a heavy power strip from corian and acrylic,  has 4 plugs in it vertically aligned so it is long and thin.  Darn if my monoblocks don't hum like the dickens plugged into the same outlet, mechanically and through the speakers.  Plug them in on opposite ends of the strip and it tomb quiet.  Not a sound.  Just music.  

9 hours ago, Evo-No-Revo said:

I read a couple of reviews about the http://www.lab12.gr/gordian.

The 6Moons review was partially in reference to the Kii Three speakers I now have.  That is what got my attention in the first place.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/lab12_2/1.html

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2016/07/lab12-gordian-power-multifunctional.html

This is from the Mono And Stereo review for a quick description,

"The LAB12 Gordian power is a multi-fuction power distributor/conditioner that is a very cleverly constructed from the beginning and showed a great sonic potential. According to the developer, Stratos Vichos, it is "basically a unit that is designed to clean up your mains supply without affecting the dynamics of the system" - which I can fully confirm.  Gordian incorporates an industrial grade power analyzer which lets you inspect all the aspects of the AC power signal. Among other things it provides data about:

• Frequency (accuracy 0.0005%)
• Total Harmonic Distortion (THD - accuracy 0.005%)
• RMS Voltage/Current
• Power Consumption
• Power Factor
• FFT (Frequency analysis)
• DC Voltage

I see the price is around 1400.00 Euro.  That comes out to a little over 1700.00 USD.  I am not sure of the exact price for US though.. 

I just now noticed that they are actually available from Audio Archon.   I just purchased a Bricasti M5 from from Mike and it should be here tomorrow.  :)

I will have to ask Mike about the Gordian and get his take.

If this can clean the AC lines and keep the dynamics, the analyzer can be a very interesting tool/toy.

I thought about waiting to get the Gordian after getting my new systems setup.  But after reading the reviews again, I think that I will go ahead and order sooner than later.  It could be very useful in testing the affects of different additions to the AC lines.

Evo-No-Revo, the Gordian really looks very interesting. Many thanks for posting and have fun with your new M5! Best, nbpf

18 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Just found more details about that impressive mod for Oppo UDP-205 below

http://www.cinetson.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=39919&start=45

25MHz TCXO here

http://www.foxonline.com/pdfs/fox924.pdf

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/fox-electronics/FOX924B-25.000/631-1074-1-ND/1024779

27MHz OCXO here

http://www.sbtron.co.kr/english/product/product_ocxo.html

http://www.sbtron.co.kr/korean/product/pdfs/ocxo_sboc_25_sine.pdf

The clocks cables that were going between boths PCBs didn't seem to be all that special, and then the clocks themselves could be replaced by even better ones. Of course we should also power both clocks directly with LT3045 or LPS-1.2 etc.

Hi, I would like to share the pictures how I've setup the sCLK-EX for UDP-203 and UDP-205, also I've built up the new power board for the digital input for UDP-205. The modification have been done impressively and if anyone would like to try out this modification, please email for more details and final quote.

This is my email address: [email protected]

Thank you.

Best regards, May

8 hours ago, Johnseye said:

You've got a nice looking room from the pictures Ted.  I'm guessing the slats and treatments are easily removed and can be reused.  I'm also guessing Jeff did an excellent job.  Was it all done remotely with you installing?

Thanks.  The HAR slat ceiling cloud (with bass trapping) is removable and coming with me, but the side wall slats and the 400 pound floating MATS wall (behind the screen) will stay, unfortunately.  It's ok, we will be able to incorporate a lot more into the room design starting with bare studs rather than what we had this time (coffered ceiling, douibl thick drywall but no staggering, etc etc).  We built the house, and room, in 1987 and back then there was little experiential data for doing a music room.  I was only privvy to things like wall/floor/ceiling ratios (golden ratios) etc.

And yes, it was all done remotely with me measuring and creating impulse files, and Jeff doing the design work from Indy.   I had a wonderful carpenter in town who worked closely with us to create all the woodwork, custom corners, etc.  Kingrex, Jeff did not do an electrical plan with me, but I'm sure he can.

I do not want to clutter this wonderful thread with pictures of my room.  Here is a link from 2011.  The equipment has almost all been replaced (now Aerial 20Ts, Perla amps, Holo, etc) but you get an idea of the room makeover.  A few posts down, in this link, I explain the HAR slats and MATS floating wall.  BTW, the room is always darkened, not like the pics.  I listen to 60% 2 channel, 30% multichannel 5.1 and then we use the room for 10% movies.  Each signal path has its own amps, etc. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=53699.msg893756#msg893756

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.  Question:  how does one run multiple dedicated lines and not have ground loops or the gremlins everyone warns against when using different circuits in the same signal path?  It's not a big deal as I could easily run one dedicated 6-10AWG line with a couple Hubble-grade outlets (then my Topaz and 15 outlet naked power strip ala JS) but folks like MSB (thanks for the link Rajiv) are seemingly recommending/insisting separate circuits for audio categories.  It's not what I was taught earlier, but maybe it's due to the fact that if those other circuits are on same phase we're ok?

Further on the issue of measuring noise in the power line, thus thread in Audioshark is a useful read : 

http://www.audioshark.org/power-conditioners-regulators-24/measuring-ac-power-line-noise-11713-page5.html

Caelin Gabriel, President of Shunyata Research prefers the Entech unit to measure noise but it only runs at the US voltage 110V and is not suitable for 220-240V.  The Alphalab unit I described above works for both 110 and 240 voltages.

Interesting I use one of the older power conditioners - Shunyata's Hydra 8 and it does nothing to reduce noise - 840mV too!

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

Thanks.  The HAR slat ceiling cloud (with bass trapping) is removable and coming with me, but the side wall slats and the 400 pound floating MATS wall (behind the screen) will stay, unfortunately.  It's ok, we will be able to incorporate a lot more into the room design starting with bare studs rather than what we had this time (coffered ceiling, douibl thick drywall but no staggering, etc etc).  We built the house, and room, in 1987 and back then there was little experiential data for doing a music room.  I was only privvy to things like wall/floor/ceiling ratios (golden ratios) etc.

And yes, it was all done remotely with me measuring and creating impulse files, and Jeff doing the design work from Indy.   I had a wonderful carpenter in town who worked closely with us to create all the woodwork, custom corners, etc.  Kingrex, Jeff did not do an electrical plan with me, but I'm sure he can.

I do not want to clutter this wonderful thread with pictures of my room.  Here is a link from 2011.  The equipment has almost all been replaced (now Aerial 20Ts, Perla amps, Holo, etc) but you get an idea of the room makeover.  A few posts down, in this link, I explain the HAR slats and MATS floating wall.  BTW, the room is always darkened, not like the pics.  I listen to 60% 2 channel, 30% multichannel 5.1 and then we use the room for 10% movies.  Each signal path has its own amps, etc. 

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.  Question:  how does one run multiple dedicated lines and not have ground loops or the gremlins everyone warns against when using different circuits in the same signal path?  It's not a big deal as I could easily run one dedicated 6-10AWG line with a couple Hubble-grade outlets (then my Topaz and 15 outlet naked power strip ala JS) but folks like MSB (thanks for the link Rajiv) are seemingly recommending/insisting separate circuits for audio categories.  It's not what I was taught earlier, but maybe it's due to the fact that if those other circuits are on same phase we're ok?

No fooling around there.  That's a listening room!!!.  I need to talk to Hedback again.  Good job.  

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

I'm very very tempted to have Jeff Hedback help with my room.  I've already done everything I can without using software and a pro.  I don't live far from Indy so a visit may even be possible.  I had Jeff Meier (Accucal) help tune my theater equipment when I originally built my room, but nothing for two channel.

With regards to avoiding ground loops with multiple dedicated circuits, AFIK, you can't.  I have two dedicated circuits, one for HT and one for 2 channel and share a sub when I listen to 2.1.  To support the sub I have two side by side outlets, one from each circuit, and two separate power cables which I swap depending on which system I'm listening to.  I use my Persona speakers for both HT and 2 channel systems as well.  Since I have different amps for each system I swap speaker cables.

I thought Ted  that if you keep your dedicated lines on one side of the breaker panel that'll elim. ground loops...of course I'm prob. mistaken ;)

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

17 hours ago, lmitche said:

This all came about after one of my Lps-1 energizing El Cheapos literally flamed out last week. Happily the fuse blew.  The stink still lingers.

I had one go into meltdown too and trip the mains. The smell lasted for months...

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

15 hours ago, KingRex said:

I have used Topaz in the past and find similar issues.  I only have a Akiko Corelli in my system now.  It gets rid of a lot of glare from high frequency interference.  Creates more clarity and frequency extension.  Has no pos/negative affect on dynamics.  Like its not there. 

Like most devices, correct use usually yields good results.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

13 hours ago, ted_b said:

6Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.  Question:  how does one run multiple dedicated lines and not have ground loops or the gremlins everyone warns against when using different circuits in the same signal path?  It's not a big deal as I could easily run one dedicated 6-10AWG line with a couple Hubble-grade outlets (then my Topaz and 15 outlet naked power strip ala JS) but folks like MSB (thanks for the link Rajiv) are seemingly recommending/insisting separate circuits for audio categories.  It's not what I was taught earlier, but maybe it's due to the fact that if those other circuits are on same phase we're ok?

I’m envious of you room!

Now you have me curious, Ted. Hopefully some actual electricians will chime in. Based on what I’ve read so far, it looks like the key is to stay on the same phase and  keep the circuit run lengths about the same. That may be hard to achieve.

Let us us know if you get some expert advice.

21 hours ago, Forehaven said:

I thought Ted  that if you keep your dedicated lines on one side of the breaker panel that'll elim. ground loops...of course I'm prob. mistaken ;)

This is incorrect.  I've tried it.  Panel side wouldn't matter anyway, it's the phase that matters.

I've found all devices need to be on the same circuit to avoid a ground loop.  @KingRex what is your understanding?

On 22.3.2018 at 1:35 AM, Solstice380 said:

Wow, I was traveling today and there were 15 or so more posts since then!

I’ve found the PS regenerators helpful in my system / location.   We tend to have poor quality power - up to 4% THD and definite power factor issues.   So time of day and phase of the moon would change the SQ. 

The dedicated circuit wasn’t feasible at the time but I did make that move eventually.   Ted, you can have many runs but see which type panel you have and keep them on the same phase.  And put the fridge and microwave etc on the other!

conditioner.   I then tried a PS Power Plant Premier and ended up with 3 of them.  @austinpop mentioned not putting your amp on an UNDERSIZED regenerator.  I added the undersized caveat. Despite the specs for current delivery etc that are great with these things, I think they over rate them.  I now have a P10 for the front end a P10 for the amp only.  The P5 isnt even big enough for a front end with very many components.  I wouldn’t put

more than a few hundred watts load on it for it to perform its best.  The PPP and P10 have the same 1500 watt rating but the P10 is fine for my amp where the PPP wasn’t.  There is a reason why PS has introduced the P20!  I’ve also heard a solid demo on the big Stromtank unit out of

Germany.   Similar idea but wicked expensive and probably better than the PS.  Also, PS is now using DSD to generate the signal and not PCM.  ?  When it comes to

power, more is always better.  Oversized PSUs in components are usually better for SQ.  Heat be damned. 

I snagged a Topaz off eBay to try.  750VA 0.0005 cap -31 model and put my whole front end on it in place of the P10.  Hundreds vs thousands of $ is worth a try.  It collapsed the soundstage noticeably.  No question.  The newer PS units have some measurement and graphical capabilities so I plugged it into the Belkin power strip that I hardwired into the Topaz to see what I could see.  The THD was a little lower than the wall outlet and the waveform was just as bad.  Flat topped, skewed sine wave.  I dedicated the Topaz to my HQPlayer server and LPSU powered drives.  My NAAs are powered by Uptone JS-2s into a PS regenerator

I now also find find no difference with or without any DC neg grounding.  We do it in our industrial equipment because we never know what type of power environment it will live in, and factories are baaaaaad.  I plugged in a system once and watched the cable start to melt from the outlet being wired incorrectly at the panel!  We make a “transceiver” for 5 Hz - 5 MHz incorporating both a DDCDAC and an ADC so we also use a pretty serious Powervar power conditioner.  But, I think by now we all know about good grounding and power.   

So for my system, which consists of generally well engineered components, the benefits are there. Better soundstage, longer decays.  Does everybody’s system let you hear the ambience after a piece is over and before they cut off the recording?  Like the sheet

Maybe we should start a thread on Regenerators but I won’t do it, I’m convinced they are good in my system.  P10s are almost always available at US$2999.  P5s are almost never on sale and I can’t figure out why.  Maybe they cost to much to make?  Wouldn’t be the first product to suffer that fate.  I don’t know if they even make the P3 any more.  Maybe you could

Apologies in advance for typos, run on or incomplete sentences, etc.  I hate phone typing!

Thanks Solstice 380, I very much appreciated your post!

On 22.3.2018 at 1:16 PM, flkin said:

I use the Alphalab Power Line Meter https://www.alphalabinc.com/content/power-line-meter/

to measure total noise in my AC line. It's in milli-volts. 

7909528C-ECE4-48A5-B9AA-2E795A9101B3.thumb.jpeg.9217a715c53819ab023c817653cda4ad.jpeg

My AC is pretty dirty especially in the evenings as I live in a condo and the device measures 840mV of total noise.

297E8A61-E554-4BAE-9105-D14810F9EC7D.thumb.jpeg.f44becfab841509832380b0d05ae5057.jpeg

After passing the AC through my Topaz 91001-21, 1KW isolation transformer the noise drops to 23mV so it's doing its job.

It's interesting to see how appliances around the house affect the power line noise like air conditioning and lighting. The reading changes during the time of day also.

The Topaz doesn't repair bad wave forms and other bad wave shapes but is very effective removing DC noise in the power line.

I'll have to get one of those power line meters, thanks for posting! Best, nbpf.

On 3/21/2018 at 9:06 PM, austinpop said:

And yet... I find that plugging my amp directly to my dedicated circuit, rather than through the P5, gives me better dynamics. There is clearly more going on here than can be explained by average power or current demand. At some level, it underscores the need for oversized power supplies. I think music makes instantaneous peak current demands that are many orders of magnitude higher than the mean. This is my best explanation for what I am hearing.

I agree that we’d expect the regens to provide enough current - P10 is suppose to spit out 75A for some amount of time - but you have me curious again to try my amp direct.  Like you, I’m thinking we also under estimate the requirements of our components on an instantaneous basis.  Do we need the rise time of lightning?  ⚡️? ?

On 22/03/2018 at 10:35 AM, Solstice380 said:

That's not the greatest of situations, but a lot better than 12% I've measured industrially.

Let's look at the connections in a different way from the P5 and the Topaz. The P5 is rated at 1200VA. The regenerator is still an inverter and obeys behaviour of all devices like that. Non linear loads like hi fi equipment draws very non sinusoidal currents. The effective power required to supply this horrid current requires over rating of the power supply. In the case of the P5, the 1200VA becomes 750VA due to derating of 0.6, rule of thumb. 

When the P5 was replaced with a 750VA Topaz, the Topaz will draw the same non sinusoidal currents. The reason when the P5 was connected to the Topaz, the flat tops on the sine wave were most likely caused by the 4% on the mains already, plus the non perfect current draw of the P5, even at idle. THD can improve with the Topaz, since it is a kind of broadband filter already, but that's not its designed function, more of a bonus.

If the sound stage collapses, it's due to common mode noise entering the signal chain via the back door somewhere, grounding/earthing systems correctly is important. Without a detail connection plan, it's a little difficult to work out, but given noise can travel where it's not welcome is a bane of this hobby, but solvable with a bit of head scratching. Many others who installed the Topaz have very few issues with sound stage, come to think of it not mentioned until now. 

Powervar gear is very good, anything passive over active is good for audio.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

@One and a half  All good info, thanks.   I never tried plugging either of the regens into the Topaz to run my system, just to use the power analyzer in there to see what the output of the Topaz looked like.  

It would be great if I could tame my incoming power issues passively.  I have just one SMPS in my server plugged into the Topaz now on a different circuit.  Everything else in my system, including network components and hard drives are on LPS. 

We we really like the Powervar where we use it.