IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:
PSU Update
Of late, I've had an embarrassment of riches when it comes to PSUs, so it has been educational to compare and contrast them in my system. The 2 latest ones I've had in-house have been the SOtM sPS-500 with a Ghent DC31 starquad cable, kindly loaned to me by @atxkyle, as well as an Uptone JS-2, with the supplied 1.5m Belden cable, which is also a loaner from @Superdad.

As shouldn't be particularly surprising, PSU impact varies by component. In my system, I tested 2 locations - the SOtM-modded switch, and the tX-USBultra. More recently, I have a new location to test - the DAC - as I now have in-house a loaner Mytek Brooklyn DAC+. I'll talk about the PSUs in the context of each of these locations.

tX-USBultra
This has been the main location I've evaluated PSUs, so I'll start here. Here is my ranking of the PSUs powering the tX-USBultra at 7V.
  1. SR-4 with DC3FSXLR silver cable
  2. JS-2 with stock Belden (starquad?) cable
  3. Tie between LPS-1.2 and sPS-500
    • LPS 1.2 with silver cable - more holographic image, but brighter
    • sPS-500 with Ghent DC31 - slightly smaller image, but smoother tone
  4. LPS-1
Also note - the differences between 1, 2, and 3 were quite small. It took careful listening to tease out these preferences.

SOtM-modded switch
At this location, the difference between PSUs was much smaller. Again, with all PSUs set at 7V:
  1. Tie between SR-4, LPS-1.2, and sPS-500
  2. LPS-1
I didn't try the JS-2 at this location.

Mytek Brooklyn DAC+
I'll be writing more about my experience with this DAC in the coming weeks. For the moment, I want to focus on it only in the context of PSUs. While the LPS-1.2 lacked the minimum current needed to drive this DAC, I was able to use the other PSUs. Here is my ranking, with all PSUs set to 12V.
  1. JS-2
  2. SR-4
  3. sPS-500
While the SR-4 had really shone on the tX-USBultra, on the Brooklyn DAC+, it was the JS-2 that pulled ahead, and by quite a margin. Compared to the JS-2, the SR-4 (and the sPS-500) seemed to lack dynamism, and sounded strained, and unexciting. What is important to note is that these PSUs did work with the DAC+.

This result isn't particularly surprising, since the DAC+ (or any DAC really) has an analog output stage, which really benefits from a PSU with vast reserves of current. The JS-2, with its beefier current capacity, was clearly better at delivering current peaks that the other, smaller, supplies couldn't.

Final Thoughts
  1. The JS-2 PSU doesn't get a lot of attention these days, but I was really impressed by its performance.
  2. While the much-vaunted SR-7 may rise above all of these PSUs, there is a caveat to consider. Not all SR-7s are created equal. SR-7 modules are selectable from 3 sizes - S (25W), HD (80W), and EHD (125W). When it comes to powering a DAC like the DAC+, while an S module may technically work, it may take an HD or EHD module to really make it shine. Those of you with SR-7s may want to keep that in mind.

Finally, my experience reminds us that while low output impedance and low ripple noise are valuable qualities in a DC PSU, an equally important attribute is current capacity, which means that  large and heavy transformer cores have their place. While this is perhaps no surprise with analog stages in a DAC/preamp, it was interesting in the context of digital components like the Zenith SE.

(PSU) Size matters!

Thanks for this PSU update, a truly refreshing take on the JS-2. Did you pick up any distinct tonal attributes for each of these PSUs?

2 hours ago, austinpop said:
PSU Update
Of late, I've had an embarrassment of riches when it comes to PSUs, so it has been educational to compare and contrast them in my system. The 2 latest ones I've had in-house have been the SOtM sPS-500 with a Ghent DC31 starquad cable, kindly loaned to me by @atxkyle, as well as an Uptone JS-2, with the supplied 1.5m Belden cable, which is also a loaner from @Superdad.

As shouldn't be particularly surprising, PSU impact varies by component. In my system, I tested 2 locations - the SOtM-modded switch, and the tX-USBultra. More recently, I have a new location to test - the DAC - as I now have in-house a loaner Mytek Brooklyn DAC+. I'll talk about the PSUs in the context of each of these locations.

tX-USBultra
This has been the main location I've evaluated PSUs, so I'll start here. Here is my ranking of the PSUs powering the tX-USBultra at 7V.
  4. LPS-1
Also note - the differences between 1, 2, and 3 were quite small. It took careful listening to tease out these preferences.

SOtM-modded switch
At this location, the difference between PSUs was much smaller. Again, with all PSUs set at 7V:
  2. LPS-1

Mytek Brooklyn DAC+
I'll be writing more about my experience with this DAC in the coming weeks. For the moment, I want to focus on it only in the context of PSUs. While the LPS-1.2 lacked the minimum current needed to drive this DAC, I was able to use the other PSUs. Here is my ranking, with all PSUs set to 12V.
  1. JS-2
  2. SR-4
  3. sPS-500
While the SR-4 had really shone on the tX-USBultra, on the Brooklyn DAC+, it was the JS-2 that pulled ahead, and by quite a margin. Compared to the JS-2, the SR-4 (and the sPS-500) seemed to lack dynamism, and sounded strained, and unexciting. What is important to note is that these PSUs did work with the DAC+.

This result isn't particularly surprising, since the DAC+ (or any DAC really) has an analog output stage, which really benefits from a PSU with vast reserves of current. The JS-2, with its beefier current capacity, was clearly better at delivering current peaks that the other, smaller, supplies couldn't.

Final Thoughts
  1. The JS-2 PSU doesn't get a lot of attention these days, but I was really impressed by its performance.
  2. While the much-vaunted SR-7 may rise above all of these PSUs, there is a caveat to consider. Not all SR-7s are created equal. SR-7 modules are selectable from 3 sizes - S (25W), HD (80W), and EHD (125W). When it comes to powering a DAC like the DAC+, while an S module may technically work, it may take an HD or EHD module to really make it shine. Those of you with SR-7s may want to keep that in mind.

Finally, my experience reminds us that while low output impedance and low ripple noise are valuable qualities in a DC PSU, an equally important attribute is current capacity, which means that  large and heavy transformer cores have their place. While this is perhaps no surprise with analog stages in a DAC/preamp, it was interesting in the context of digital components like the Zenith SE.

(PSU) Size matters!

Once again a well thought out and informative review. Thank you for all your reviews!! 

Your findings with the sps-500 VS lps1 are consistent with my own conclusions... I find that the sps-500 gives a smaller image compared to the lps1, however the image is more focused and seems to be more solid than the lps1. I am using canare 4s6 dc cable for both supplies. I have found that powering my sonicTransporter i5 and sms200 with a Ghent y cable from the sps-500 and then powering my netgear gs105 with lps1 gives the best results in my set up. ?

10 hours ago, austinpop said:
PSU Update

tX-USBultra
  4. LPS-1

SOtM-modded switch
  2. LPS-1

Mytek Brooklyn DAC+
  1. JS-2
  2. SR-4
  3. sPS-500

Final Thoughts

(PSU) Size matters!

Thanks for this, results are very interesting. Good learning... 

On 3/8/2018 at 10:13 AM, Kritpoon said:

Perhaps SOTM will be willing to mod the Antipodes DX for me? LOL...

Bingo, or better sell it and build your own.  Now you can have a fair comparison with the trifecta/non modded commercial server.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

17 hours ago, austinpop said:
PSU Update

tX-USBultra
  4. LPS-1

SOtM-modded switch
  2. LPS-1

Mytek Brooklyn DAC+
  1. JS-2
  2. SR-4
  3. sPS-500

Final Thoughts

(PSU) Size matters!

I'm assuming that the LPS-1.2 was powered by the SMPS that came with it? Probably the correct way to compare it to the other power supplies, standard as it came from the manufacturer. However, the LPS-1.2 will never get the full credit it deserves until it's powered by another "good" LPS. This is the only way to make it really shine. The SMPS does perhaps not affect the output quality of the LPS-1.2, but it surely does for the components that are not isolated. In my case my DAC and power amp.

13 minutes ago, afrancois said:

The SMPS does perhaps not affect the output quality of the LPS-1.2, but it surely does for the components that are not isolated. In my case my DAC and power amp.

Isn't the LPS 1.2 internally shunted to avoid SMPS noise pollution? Or am I missing your point?

29 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Actually, I experimented with both the shunted SMPS as well as the second rail of the JS-2 to energize the LPS-1.2. If there is a difference between these two configurations, it is very small in my system. Obviously, this is system-dependent. I suspect the combination of a dedicated circuit, the AC regenerator (P5), and the filtering in the P5 and the Dectet strip I use, make me fairly immune to leakage loops and SMPS backwash. This is why ground shunts and JSGTs have had a very minor effect, if any.

I've had the LPS-1s (and now 1.2s) over many iterations of my system, from before I got my AC optimizations in place. I've personally experienced this: if you place the LPS-1(.2) at a location in your system where a leakage loop exists, the improvement due to the LPS-1(.2) can be startling. If not, it will (just) behave like a great quality PSU.

In my current system, even with the JS-2 energizing the LPS-1.2, it didn't change the ranking order in my post. It's not like energizing the LPS-1.2 with a JS-2 caused it to leapfrog in SQ. If I get some time, I might go back and compare just these 2 cases more carefully.

Ideally, I'd prefer to do this comparison with a low-priced LPS, rather than an expensive JS-2. If you're going to spend that much on an energizing supply, you're far better off just buying an SR-4 or an sPS-500. Sadly, I don't have any low-priced 36W or higher LPSes in house. That might be an interesting sub-topic: cheapest LPSes that improve the stock SMPS supply for the LPS-1.2.

At the moment I don't have the luxury of a PS Audio Power Plant, but the idea of a separate AC is very tempting. In the meantime, I'm trying to eliminate a maximum of SMPS's that are in front of my audio chain. I guess that separate AC and power regeneration are more the exception that the rule, so a further investigation into a not too costly LPS replacement for the stock SMPS of the LPS-1.2 would be quite interesting for a lot of LPS-1 and LPS-1.2 buyers. At this moment I'm using the following LPS to power the Uptone LPS-1's:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hi-fi-power-supply/lpsu200-hifi-linear-supply-high-fidelity-12v-5v-635a-200w-nas-freebox-squeezebox-p-11501.html and https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hi-fi-power-supply/audiophonics-pshp-linear-regulated-power-supply-12v-4a-60va-p-11811.html

25 minutes ago, afrancois said:

At the moment I don't have the luxury of a PS Audio Power Plant, but the idea of a separate AC is very tempting. In the meantime, I'm trying to eliminate a maximum of SMPS's that are in front of my audio chain. I guess that separate AC and power regeneration are more the exception that the rule, so a further investigation into a not too costly LPS replacement for the stock SMPS of the LPS-1.2 would be quite interesting for a lot of LPS-1 and LPS-1.2 buyers. At this moment I'm using the following LPS to power the Uptone LPS-1's:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hi-fi-power-supply/lpsu200-hifi-linear-supply-high-fidelity-12v-5v-635a-200w-nas-freebox-squeezebox-p-11501.html and https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hi-fi-power-supply/audiophonics-pshp-linear-regulated-power-supply-12v-4a-60va-p-11811.html

Yes agree it’s not for everyone. I just wanted to give context for my results.

They're using this micro SD card with SLC chips (output current = 24 mA) and so far so good

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/panasonic-electronic-components/RP-SMSC04DA1/P17013-ND/5119420

https://na.industrial.panasonic.com/sites/default/pidsa/files/downloads/files/panasonic-sc-series-data-sheet.pdf

http://www.usaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5685#p5685

I see you need for a HDD for music storage - my collection is over 3TB. So I find that with a 4GB SLC mSD I just transfer the albums I will be listening to for that evening from the HDD to the SLC. Listen from there. FB2K makes creating a custom playlist from the SLC very easy (just 'add a folder' and select the SLC - which shows up with it's own drive letter in Windows).

I also have two 256GB PNY USB sticks in the other free REX USB slots and can play from them as well. Better then the HDD or SSD, but not as good as the SLC.

Here would be my ranking of SQ drive sources so far:
#1 SLC mSD
#2 SLC USB stick
#3 High Capacity USB stick (256GB)
#4 PNY CS2211 SSD (256GB) - (large pSLC cache), external LT3042/R-Core LPS, Custom dual Blue-Silver shielded Amphenol SATA data cable
#5 WD Black 2TB HDD.

On 2018-03-17 at 4:53 PM, austinpop said:

Other than the internally shunted SMPS for the LPS-1.2, I've removed all the grounding shunts and adapters in my system. Obviously, all this is highly system dependent, so please do not read anything more into my post other than the message - try it on YOUR system and see. And revisit your tweaks from time to time. I'm glad I did!

Now that I have a modified Netgear FS105 v2, with external clock, there is a SQ improvement without the JSGT on the switch.  Change is probably due to the clock cable from the sMS-200Ultra (replacing a microRendu).

7 hours ago, austinpop said:

cheapest LPSes that improve the stock SMPS supply for the LPS-1.2.

Here is my vote for your test.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Finished-100VA-12V-Ultra-Low-Noise-LPS-HI-END-Linear-Power-Supply-for-Audio-/253299913553

Over here, 5 Sigma 11 lpses, 3 with these Chinese regulator boards and two with the original amb.org sigma 11s, power most everything including 2 lps-1s, a 24 pin molex for the motherboard and lots of lt3045s.

You can get 3 in a box as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122625352090?ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F0%2F0%2F0%3Fmpre%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fulk%252Fitm%252F122625352090%26rvr_id%3D0&ul_noapp=true

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

35 minutes ago, lmitche said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Finished-100VA-12V-Ultra-Low-Noise-LPS-HI-END-Linear-Power-Supply-for-Audio-/253299913553

Over here, 5 Sigma 11 lpses, 3 with these Chinese regulator boards and two with the original amb.org sigma 11s, power most everything including 2 lps-1s, a 24 pin molex for the motherboard and lots of lt3045s.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122625352090?ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F0%2F0%2F0%3Fmpre%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fulk%252Fitm%252F122625352090%26rvr_id%3D0&ul_noapp=true

Zerozone make some nice stuff!!! 

https://s.taobao.com/search?q=zerozone&s_from=newHeader&ssid=s5-e&search_type=item&sourceId=tb.item

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Those are some nice value LPSes!

BTW - I’m not looking to test anything more in this space, but would be curious to learn what people find, if they try these, compared to the stock SMPS LPS-1.2 supplies.

14 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Those are some nice value LPSes!

But torriods and poor diode bridge. Even better,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Finished-100VA-Ultra-Low-Noise-Linear-Power-Supply-Ouptut-9v-12v-19v-24v-R1716/141770497380?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

My one has copper foil over r-type. Used same but little less VA for Mini power for over year. But no LPS-1.2 to compare.

1 hour ago, look&listen said:

But torriods and poor diode bridge. Even better,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Finished-100VA-Ultra-Low-Noise-Linear-Power-Supply-Ouptut-9v-12v-19v-24v-R1716/141770497380?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

My one has copper foil over r-type. Used same but little less VA for Mini power for over year. But no LPS-1.2 to compare.

If using to power a Regen etc. do not earth the R.core's screen wire.

The additional capacitance to earth degrades USB performance a little.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

14 hours ago, austinpop said:

Yes agree it’s not for everyone. I just wanted to give context for my results.

Thanks for providing the details about the power supply and, of course, for your original contribution!

I would be very interested in learning more about the potential advantages of using power regenerators like the PS Audio P5 as a means for improving poor AC power supplies.

This use case does not get very much discussed and the common wisdom seems to be that the first step towards a clean power supply should be laying down one or two dedicated AC lines.

Unfortunately, this is not always easy to achieve: I am currently renting an old and rather large flat with very old (and likely poor) wiring. Laying down a new dedicated AC line would be a mess in my case.

I have been wandering whether there are established means for assessing the quality of a power supply and whether a P5 or a P10 would be a meaningful  way of achieving a high quality power supply without breaking the bank.