IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

35 minutes ago, limniscate said:

Then he tested me on the tX.  This is where it got interesting: so the system sounded worse with the tX on the HD-Plex but the dX on the SR4.  Remember above that my system sounded better with the tX in it, but that was with the dX and tX both on the HD-Plex!  This was shocking to both of us and underscores just how important a good power supply is.

I don't understand this part.  You changed the power supply on the dX from the HDPLEX to an SR4 and it sounded worse than powering the dX with the HDPLEX?  Is that what you're saying?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

44 minutes ago, limniscate said:

Amazingly, I preferred the chain without the modded switch!  The image sounded bigger and more dense on the low end.  This is the second time I blind tested this and chose the chain without the modded switch.  How can this be? 

Wait, what?  Both you and Rajiv originally said that the SOtM modded switch significantly improved the trifecta sMS-200Ultra, tX-USBultra and modded switch.  OK now the sMS-200Ultra is gone and you have the Zenith SE instead.  How can this be, indeed?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

23 minutes ago, rickca said:

I don't understand this part.  You changed the power supply on the dX from the HDPLEX to an SR4 and it sounded worse than powering the dX with the HDPLEX?  Is that what you're saying?

No, what I'm saying is that the system sounded better with just the dX with SR4 over the dX with SR4 and tX on HD-PLEX.  I'm confident that if the tX were on a good power supply, then it would improve the sound in conjuction with the dX. 

19 minutes ago, rickca said:

Wait, what?  Both you and Rajiv originally said that the SOtM modded switch significantly improved the trifecta sMS-200Ultra, tX-USBultra and modded switch.  OK now the sMS-200Ultra is gone and you have the Zenith SE instead.  How can this be, indeed?

Yes, it's baffling. 

50 minutes ago, limniscate said:

With the switch out of the system, the Zenith SE was connected directly to an ethernet port on the wall which connects to a switch and router in another room.  Therefore, this mode has two more SMPS upstream of the Zenith SE compared to with the modded switch in the chain.  Amazingly, I preferred the chain without the modded switch!  The image sounded bigger and more dense on the low end.  This is the second time I blind tested this and chose the chain without the modded switch.  How can this be? 

Where is your local music source?  NAS?  Behind the wall somewhere but in front of the router, or attached to the router?

Did streaming from Tidal make a difference?

Provided your music source is always behind the wall, my take on this result is that any additional device, like the switch, has the potential to have a negative effect on the sound by introducing noise. 

1 hour ago, limniscate said:

With the switch out of the system, the Zenith SE was connected directly to an ethernet port on the wall which connects to a switch and router in another room.  Therefore, this mode has two more SMPS upstream of the Zenith SE compared to with the modded switch in the chain.  Amazingly, I preferred the chain without the modded switch!  The image sounded bigger and more dense on the low end.  This is the second time I blind tested this and chose the chain without the modded switch.  How can this be? 

This is odd! Have you considered the possibility that the modded switch has an issue? Maybe you can test Rajiv’s switch in your system. 

18 minutes ago, limniscate said:

The music was stored locally on the Zenith. I don't stream at all, so we didn't test that. 

So then eliminating the switch just removed one power, or noise source.  Even if it was a better sounding switch than others.  Did you try putting a non-modded switch in place of the modded switch for a 3 way comparison and rank them?

1 minute ago, Johnseye said:

So then eliminating the switch just removed one power, or noise source.  Even if it was a better sounding switch than others.  Did you try putting a non-modded switch in place of the modded switch for a 3 way comparison and rank them?

good idea, for the Ultimate test, when playing locally stored music, try unplugging the ethernet cable from the Zenith and see if SQ improves. This can tell you if there is noise creeping in through the ethernet cable.

3 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

When the Zenith was connected to the wall, it is connected to a non modded switch with no fancy power supply. 

1 hour ago, rickca said:

Important to clarify that the music is on local SSD on the Zenith. So the switch is not in the critical path. The network is only used for the Roon control app to communicate with the Roon Core.

I'm sure if we had been streaming music from a remote Core, a NAS, or on Tidal, the reclocked switch would have been a net win.

Just to detail what we tried, in the switch experiment, see below. Again, music is local to the Zenith SE, so no audio flows over the ethernet, just control.

Note: In the text below, "wall" refers to an upstream chain of "router > switch" elsewhere in the house, each on their default SMPS. All the ethernet links were with SOtM dCBL-Cat 7 cables.

Configurations:

1. Wall > SE <---------- sounded the best
  2. Wall > reclocked switch (LPS-1, but clock supplied by tX-USBultra on HDPlex) > SE
  3. Wall > Netgear FS105 (HDPlex 12V - does not work with LPS-1 at 7V) > SE
  4. Wall > Netgear FS105 (HDPlex, with ground shunted via iFi Groundhog) > SE

We didn't test these exhaustively, but we did establish that, on Eric's setup,

• 1) sounded better than 2)
  • 1) sounded better than 4) which sounded better than 3)

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on these findings. The SR-4 to HDPlex delta was so huge that I am leery of any findings with the HDPlex. The next time we meet up, probably in a couple of weeks, I will have 2 LPS-1.2s on hand, so we will revisit.

14 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on these findings. The SR-4 to HDPlex delta was so huge that I am leery of any findings with the HDPlex. The next time we meet up, probably in a couple of weeks, I will have 2 LPS-1.2s on hand, so we will revisit.

Exactly.  This would be consistent with Eric not liking the tX-USBultra powered by the HDPlex.  Still, it's surprising that things sounded better with an upstream router/switch on SMPS.

5 minutes ago, rickca said:

Exactly.  This would be consistent with Eric not liking the tX-USBultra powered by the HDPlex.  Still, it's surprising that things sounded better with an upstream router/switch on SMPS.

I think we can also credit the isolation built into the Zenith SE ethernet port. As Nuno wrote on this other forum:

The ethernet ports on the Zenith are no ordinary Ethernet ports you find on normal "consumer-grade" boards. The ethernet ports have 4 separate isolation transformers each to further isolate the connection (4 small grey boxes right before each ethernet port). We also do extensive anti-vibration treatment of the chassis, the LPSU and even the SSD, converting vibration into very small amounts of heat. This makes a very audible difference in sound quality.

32 minutes ago, rickca said:

I did like the tX on HD-PLEX when the dX was also on the HD-PLEX --just not when the dX was on the SR4 and the tX was on the HD-PLEX. 

12 minutes ago, limniscate said:

This could be a factor that we haven't considered. When connected to the wall, it's a 1gbps connection, but through the bridge and modded switch, I think it's 100mbps or maybe even 10mbps. 

The FS switches are 100 mbps, so that means you liked the 1 gb connection best. Over here, the 1 gb nic sounds best set at 100mbps via it's driver configuration.

Go figure. Maybe the two emosystems transformers are a problem. It does great nevertheless.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio