IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

4 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Sembra intrigante e molte grazie per i dettagli delle tue esperienze positive finora. È un vero sollievo sapere che potrebbe essere consegnato entro 2 mesi e vedremo ancora un altro punto di riferimento nel prossimo futuro.

È felice di rivelare il tipo / i specifico / i di cappucci Mundorf per i suoi trasformatori premium o potrebbe essere più simile a un "segreto" di qualche tipo? Mi stavo solo chiedendo se questo modello di condensatore superiore fosse adatto per un alimentatore

http://www.mundorf.com/en/?category=hifi&menu=caps_audio&content=mcap_supreme_evo_silvergold_oil

Hi they should be the mundorf AG series ideal for power supply. There are also 4-pin ag + for better filtering.

my blog: http://tweakvideo.altervista.org

my shop:http://www.avtek.it

4 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

I've ordered a power supply from Sean. I found him very knowledegable and easy to deal with. He was in Portugal working with Innuos and still replied to emails when he had a spare moment - sometimes late at night. My motherboard Is a Jetway NF596  but I also have a X10SBA to compare, so the Supply will not be for any specific motherboard.

I needed 12V for motherboard, 2 x 5V for 2 SSD/HDD and 9V for the SOTM bits: txUSB-exp, sCLK-ex & txUSBHUB. In discussion Sean recommended 3 seperate rails for the SOTM boards (I had sort of guessed he would :)) SOTM liked the idea but MAY also said, the txUSB-exp provides refined 9V supply to the sCLK, which is further refined and finally ends up at the HUB output- So it will be interesting to test this out. I think the 3 seperate rails will be amazing but  2 'spare' rails are always handy for us 'tweakers'.

Due to the large number of outputs and bearing in mind the cost factor, Sean suggested we use 2 of his standard off the shelf toroids one for the motherboard and one for the rest. He felt they were 'up to the task' I quite liked this idea due to the fact we would 'isolate' noisy motherboard from the other components.

He also suggested 2 custom wound transformers that would take 2 weeks to produce - which would be 75% of the way between the standard and premium version as used in the Zenith SE. The premium Transformers take 6 weeks to produce due to the backlog the manufacturer has in orders.

Since the cost between one large or two smaller premium transformers was not that far apart we settled on 2  'premium' toroids  - six weeks delivery. Sean will get the other bits- case, circuits, etc. ready as far as possible in the meantime. He will be using the premium version of his  custom CHC circuits with mundorf CAPS.

So I'm very much looking forward to getting my new power supply in a couple of months and will use my other bits in the meantime. Looking forward to  hearing the benefit of the cutom CHC when it 'meeets' the SOTM sclk -ex server.The total cost is in the region of ( just over) £2000. Its not finalised yet.

Sean did not want all the money up front, he asked for a deposit to order the transformers and get started, that was very reassuring. In the meantime we've been in touch to discuss the connection details, type of Umbilical etc. To lower impedance we setteld on a single connector at the power supply end and a gland at server end where the cable can pass directlly through and connect to all the components, with the various connectors, SATA, molex, jack plugs, etc.

Thanks @austinpop for the detailed review.

That’s great stuff. This is a very interesting PSU. I really like the fact that he only asked for a deposit to get the transformers and 6 week delivery is very reasonable.

My sCLK server needs something similar. I currently use 4 PSUs, motherboard Jetway  NF596, sclk board, 2 tXUSBexp.

Keep us posted!

2 hours ago, str-1 said:

As I prepare to order a tx-USBultra with master clock input it occurs to me that I have no idea what version is better to order - 50ohm or 75ohm.  It will be some time before I am in a position to decide on what master clock to get here in the UK.  I would be grateful for any advice those who have already gone down tne master clock road can offer.  Thanks.

You have more choices for cables with 75Ohms. 

1 hour ago, rickca said:

However, there are other SoC motherboards that do have both a 24-pin and a 4-pin.

This is confusing to me.

The supermicro X10SBA has 12v dc and atx power input. With the atx you’ll need a pico psu, of which I always thought was less good than than a 12v dc input. If I remember well Paul Hynes advices to avoid these pico psu’s.

Or perhaps is the pico psu the only way to power the cpu separately?

4 hours ago, Summit said:

Great review @austinpop, very informative!

I don’t remember if you use to upsample in ROON or not. IIRC you have in the past. I don’t and have the DSP off. Was your listening and review done with or without upsampling and DSP in ROON?

No - I did not upsample for this review. 

One thing to point out is that the current version of the InnuOS dos not support an NAA daemon yet. I’ve requested this from Nuno, and he’s going to set me up with a test build to try it out.

Since the Codex only benefits mildly from HQP, this isn’t a high priority for me, but I pointed out many here on CA would value the NAA support.

Of course, the use case would then be Roon Core and HQPlayer on another server, with the SE the endpoint.

I have one Asrock J3455B-ITX mini-atx with ATX powered by a 450W SMPS. May I ask is it possible to power the CPU separately for this board and how to do it? If I want to switch to multiple LPS to power the board in minimal way just for the CPU, ram, ethernet and usb port only, what ATX power pins could I disable?

2 hours ago, lmitche said:

Over here, my ASRock Q1900-itx motherboard doesn't have a second power connector for the CPU.  That may be what is special about the Supermicro board. I don't use that board any more.

I just realized that I have all that is needed here to split the power to my i7-6700 z170 motherboard.  It would be easy to power the CPU (EPU/EPC) from the existing ATX SMPS.  From there I'd power the ATX connector from a HDplex DC to DC power supply with 19 volts from a sigma 11 based linear power supply.

I may give this a go later in the day to learn how it sounds.

Hi lmitche,

Could you elaborate more on how to power the i7-6700 z170 motherboard for the CPU separately? I am trying to figure out how to do the same for my Asrock J3455B-ITX board.

5 hours ago, str-1 said:

Great review @austinpop

With both you and @romaz backing the SE, tx-USBultra and master clock approach, that pretty much sells it to me.  I’m already enjoying the SE connected to the Chord DAVE via an LPS-1-powered ISO Regen, and have just ordered an SR4.  I’ll probably put an order in for the Chord Blu 2 next week and was intending to get a tx-USBultra, which I will now order with a master clock input.  I’ll wait until I’ve got all that, and it is properly run in, before trying out a masterclock.  Cheers

Since you have the Dave, and are heading to a Blu-Dave, I seem to remember Roy saying (in his head-fi posts, or perhaps in email - I can't remember) that he found that once he got the Blu, the clock improvements upstream shrank in their overall importance. IOW, you may not hear as profound an improvement adding a tX-USBultra, and then a reference clock, as I or others not using a Blu-Dave do.

1 hour ago, Lebouwsky said:

The supermicro X10SBA has 12v dc and atx power input. With the atx you’ll need a pico psu, of which I always thought was less good than than a 12v dc input. If I remember well Paul Hynes advices to avoid these pico psu’s.

The 4 pin connector is 12V DC (2x12V, 2xground) The 24 pin ATX connector is for an ATX power supply. You use either one or the other. If you have a linear power supply you can use the pico converter to split the voltages for the 24 pin ATX connector. Innuos appear to be using both connections in the Zenith. The pico converter is being used for the optical drive but its not clear if it's powering anything else.

36 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Since you have the Dave, and are heading to a Blu-Dave, I seem to remember Roy saying (in his head-fi posts, or perhaps in email - I can't remember) that he found that once he got the Blu, the clock improvements upstream shrank in their overall importance. IOW, you may not hear as profound an improvement adding a tX-USBultra, and then a reference clock, as I or others not using a Blu-Dave do.

Maybe with a Blu2 any PC would do the job to give you excellent SQ.

28 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Thanks, that’s very helpful.  So the best approach for me to explore that possible road would be to get the Blu 2 first, and then try out the tx-USBultra.  And if that is successful, then try the master clock (assuming I have the tx-USBultra with the appropriate input).  That gives me a roadmap for the next 3-4 months.

As an aside, I’ve just read a post on the head-fi Blu 2 thread saying the 100 Zenith SE units have now been sold by Innuos.  But it is probably still possible to track down one or two among the dealers.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

AFAIK the SE is "the server" to beat at the moment so whilst the 100 may have been allocated I would imagine that Innuos will do something similar in the near future. 

I saw Nuno Vitorino of Innuos tell Head-fi-ers there will only be 100 SE units. But surely the critical acclaim and reviews will lead to them offering something similar. Unless of course they lost money somehow. 

Meantime there is presumably a waiting list for any returned trial units or even perhaps a secondary market for anyone crazy enough to part with one :P

Also surely other manufacturers will attempt to emulate the success Innuos achieved here. And hopefully that will lower the entry price. 

Better still some sort of SE with reference clock. At that point I might be crazy enough to part with my SE. But not before! :cool:

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

9 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

But meantime did you test the combo of SE > TX-USBultra > DAC without your Cybershaft? And if so can you please comment on whether the TX-USBultra without an external clock improves the USB SQ much?

Yes I did, and yes it does. Even without a reference clock driving it, the tX-USBultra is a big step up in “deliciousness!”

The Cybershaft just elevates it to another level.

24 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Great review.

Let's put the SE head to head with an sCLK-EX modded PC.

The Head-fi review by Romaz infers the SE is up there. 

I'm not going to presume to put words in Roy's mouth. All I can say is his Head-fi review got me off the Trifecta vs SE fence. Because frankly I was very tempted with the Trifecta and it's reported SQ despite my misgivings about spaghetti. 

But a comparison to the sCLK-EX server versus the SE would be useful. 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

14 minutes ago, austinpop said:

That may be a stretch! ;) 

But I’ll let Blu2Dave owners tell us. I think Roy still finds the SE/tX/Ref10 source to matter.

Of course I just meant if you really don’t want to go to the deep deep end. You can also keep it very simple.BluDave only and play CDs and you are done :) 

30 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Great review.

That would be interesting, but I would amend it to SE chain vs. an sCLK-EX modded PC chain.

BTW, the SE is a 25-lb monster, so it's not something you throw into your carry-on bag.

Dimensions   70 x 420 x 320 mm (H x W x D)
Weight   11 Kg

So any comparisons would have to be within driving distance.

2 minutes ago, austinpop said:

That would be interesting, but I would amend it to SE chain vs. an sCLK-EX modded PC chain.

BTW, the SE is a 25-lb monster, so it's not something you throw into your carry-on bag.

Dimensions   70 x 420 x 320 mm (H x W x D)
Weight   11 Kg

So any comparisons would have to be within driving distance.

What about the Zenith SE vs. my sCLk server SE (2 tXusbexp + 2 tXusbUltra) ;) 

My spaghetti is not transportable as well :) 

7 hours ago, str-1 said:

Great review @austinpop

With both you and @romaz backing the SE, tx-USBultra and master clock approach, that pretty much sells it to me.  I’m already enjoying the SE connected to the Chord DAVE via an LPS-1-powered ISO Regen, and have just ordered an SR4.  I’ll probably put an order in for the Chord Blu 2 next week and was intending to get a tx-USBultra, which I will now order with a master clock input.  I’ll wait until I’ve got all that, and it is properly run in, before trying out a masterclock.  Cheers

For the cost of the Zenith, I'd rather acquire the  Chord Blu 2.  Even Roy thought the SQ gain from the Chord Blu 2 was far and away more important than the server.  

As far as sCLK-EX server goes, I can't wait to power my server with the Paul Hynes SR7 next fall.  I can power the mobo direct 12V without the barrel connector.  I'll definitely, as we have been saying all along,  keep that starquad cable as short as possible from the SR7.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Austinpop, thank you for a very thoughtful and through review.  Could I ask a couple question.  Excuse me if you addressed either of these and I missed it or did not understand.   As a preface, I use a Mojo Audio unit that is somewhat like the SE in that is has individual linear power to the drive, storage and motherboard.  I get amazing results from music served from the internal HD.  I get ok results with streaming from the NAS.  When I find an album I like on my NAS I export it to my internal HD and play it from there.  So, my questions are:

First.  Were you doing any upsampling or just playing native redbook - WAV rips from CD.

Second.  In your Best Zenith chain you have a USBultra, a Cybershaft  clock and other devices.  Are these only necessary for the ethernet connection to your NAS or streaming Tidal source.  In other words, for best sound performance from the internal storage, do you find these other devices necessary.

Thanks 

37 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Great review.

6 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

The Head-fi review by Romaz infers the SE is up there. 

I'm not going to presume to put words in Roy's mouth. All I can say is his Head-fi review got me off the Trifecta vs SE fence. Because frankly I was very tempted with the Trifecta and it's reported SQ despite my misgivings about spaghetti. 

But a comparison to the sCLK-EX server versus the SE would be useful. 

My point about chains earlier bears some explanation. I think Roy has already said that by itself, the SE equals, and even slightly betters his custom server in terms of dynamism. But it cannot compete in terms of all the clock-related SQ improvements. The downside for his custom server is (quoting an email snippet):  ...that it requires 5 PSU rails (1 for the mobo, sCLK-EX, tX-USBexp, tX-USBhubIN, SSD) and to devote this many PSU rails to it is a challenge.

So no matter how you slice it, you have spaghetti! In one case:

• SE + tX-USBultra (1 PSU rail)
  • custom server (5 PSU rails)

So it's not a competition to determine "the winner." Some - like me - don't want to mess with building a custom server, and like the simplicity of the SE.

Others really enjoy delving into all the myriad decisions in assembling a custom server:  mobo,  SATA,  drives, USB,  Ethernet, case, connectors, ... the list goes on. Once you start adding in the cost of SR7 rails (or perhaps Sean Jacobs rails), I wonder if there is even a cost advantage. 

33 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Yes I did, and yes it does. Even without a reference clock driving it, the tX-USBultra is a big step up in “deliciousness!”

The Cybershaft just elevates it to another level.

Sigh... 

Yeah... 

Uh huh.... 

That's what I feared. On the one hand I have no problem buying a TX-USBultra to hear the difference for myself. I also have a couple LPS-1 sitting around so that helps. 

On the less enthusiastic side;

A. My ethernet to (PS Audio) Bridge II supports the full MQA unfold. So if the TX-USBultra route comfortably kicks it's SQ ass, well that's a dilemma. 

B. I was trying to simplify and adding a TX-USBultra infers that I should probably also add a Cybershaft/Mutec/SOtM clock and the better PSU that deserves. 

The audiophile rabbit hole never ends it seems! 

4 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

This is nothing new.  I've often powered my CPU separately with a 12V LPS.  I don't think it is all that critical.  Yeah, every little bit helps, but most critical is how the motherboard handles the main power input throughout the mobo.  It doesn't sound like Innuous has all the answers here either, let alone updating the clocking.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

7 minutes ago, austinpop said:

My point about chains earlier bears some explanation. I think Roy has already said that by itself, the SE equals, and even slightly betters his custom server in terms of dynamism. But it cannot compete in terms of all the clock-related SQ improvements. The downside for his custom server is (quoting an email snippet):  ...that it requires 5 PSU rails (1 for the mobo, sCLK-EX, tX-USBexp, tX-USBhubIN, SSD) and to devote this many PSU rails to it is a challenge.

So no matter how you slice it, you have spaghetti! In one case:

• SE + tX-USBultra (1 PSU rail)
  • custom server (5 PSU rails)

Agree 100%. I hate the complexity of the 5 PSUs in my server as well. However, it was something that I had to do to see how far I can achieve in this path. I enjoyed it as well and gained tons of experience building my server, but this is not for everyone.