Jump to content
austinpop

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, hurka said:

I bought 2 uspcb ,changed my diy silver bridge(0 resistance,extra short).Sound get duller,lifeless,flatter.

Very strange!!! I cant use this uspcb.

Very interesting, can you pls share details of your DIY bridge. I would like to build one myself as I already have OCC silver wires and Mundorf silver/gold supreme solder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mozes said:

Very interesting, can you pls share details of your DIY bridge. I would like to build one myself as I already have OCC silver wires and Mundorf silver/gold supreme solder.

I'm in office,dont have picture.its simple usb A B +5v not connected,externally powered,short 1-2 cm ,1mm diameter , silver wire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, hurka said:

I'm in office,dont have picture.its simple usb A B +5v not connected,externally powered,short 1-2 cm ,1mm diameter , silver wire

Thanks pls share a pic when you can. I don’t need the 5V as well. Soldering will be a challenge but I think I can manage it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mozes said:

Thanks pls share a pic when you can. I don’t need the 5V as well. Soldering will be a challenge but I think I can manage it.

this type can make shorter

TB2vJ9aXDnI8KJjy0FfXXcdoVXa_!!3407452855.jpg_400x400.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hurka said:

This no 5 v in, I dont use this, but have picture 

849D67EF-4077-4BA6-B755-5AC622123585.jpeg

Looks shorter than a USPCB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mozes said:

Looks shorter than a USPCB.

uspcb in tricky smd components,not sure really need this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, hurka said:

Uspcb also modded,but dont helps a lot

BD9105EC-2BF7-4F59-81F5-A81C1F71A64C.jpeg

Are you feeding Linear power down into the USB cable ?

If so, wouldn't you be better off feeding it in at the device end of the cable ?

 I am fortunate that I don't need +5V from the cable, so I don't connect either +5V or shield through with my DIY USB-A to USB-B adaptor.

USB  A to B adaptor.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Are you feeding Linear power down into the USB cable ?

If so, wouldn't you be better off feeding it in at the device end of the cable ?

 I am fortunate that I don't need +5V from the cable, so I don't connect either +5V or shield through with my DIY USB-A to USB-B adaptor.

USB  A to B adaptor.jpg

no linear. I find sps500 or u caps psu sound better for me.

iso regen need independent perfect 5v usb power,sound much better .

singxer also need 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, hurka said:

iso regen need independent perfect 5v usb power,sound much better

 

 So does the original USB regen, but needs more than +5V for regulation purposes when powering a USB memory stick plugged directly into the adaptor. If the USB memory stick plays from System Memory you can also use a +12V Li Ion battery derived supply.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hurka said:

other findings:

new u caps sound more airy,transparent.Later(months)just worse

 

That's interesting. Do you mean that the SQ of the ultracaps reduces after some months? Major or minor differences? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Cornan said:

 

That's interesting. Do you mean that the SQ of the ultracaps reduces after some months? Major or minor differences? 

 

exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, austinpop said:

Preliminary Review of Paul Hynes SR-4

 

I received the SR-4, along with the silver DC3FSXLR with 2. 1mm Switchcraft cable the day I was leaving for a week long vacation. As a result, @limniscate got to spend some quality time with it, and put in some hours of burn in! Since then, it has received another 150 hours of burn in chez moi, along with all the other new gear in my system.

 

I had a chance to do some comparisons of the SR-4 vs. the LPS-1, both in my system and Eric's. The reason I am calling this review preliminary is because I wanted to go deeper, and experiment with these two PSUs in different parts of my chain, but this has been interrupted due to the failure of my tX-USBultra. When I get a chance after my tX-USBultra comes back, I will update this review with new findings, if any.

 

As it stands, I looked at 2 scenarios:

  1. Powering the tX-USBultra in my trifecta: modded switch > modded sMS-200 > ISO-R > tX-USBultra > Codex > Cavalli LAu > HD800
    • I set the SR-4 to 7V, to match the LPS-1
    • I used the DC3FSXLR silver cable on the SR-4
    • I used a Ghent Canare 4S6/Oyaide cable on the LPS-1
    • The switch, sMS-200, and the ISO-R were all powered by LPS-1s - I only varied between SR-4 and LPS-1 on the tX-USBultra
       
  2. Powering the dX-USB HD Ultra in Eric's setup: Zenith SE > dX-USB HD Ultra > Yggdrasil > AR Ref 6 > Sanders Magtech > Magnepan 3.7i
    • We set the SR-4 to 12V, and compared it to 2 x LPS-1s in series (each set to 7V and 5V respectively)
    • We used the DC3FSXLR silver cable on the SR-4
    • We used a home brew Canare 4S6 serial cable on the LPS-1s
    • In this config, we used the internal music player in the SE, with music files on local SSD.

Sonic Impressions

In setup 1, I felt both PSUs performed at equivalent "quality." While the LPS-1 had just a tad more air and apparent resolution, it was also the brighter of the two. Remember - this is not a criticism. These are purely comparative remarks. Both PSUs sounded wonderful.

 

The SR-4 had its own charms. There was a calmness, a blacker background. The mids in particular had a more natural, sweeter tonality and richness that was very appealing. Consistent with the apparent brightness of the LPS-1, the SR-4 had a darker tonal palette, overall.

 

In setup 2, the differences between the two were smaller. The LPS-1 did not appear brighter at all, while still delivering just a smidge more resolution and micro-detail. The SR-4 had a tad more bass. Again, both sounded wonderful.

 

Conclusions

The SR-4 is a fantastic PSU. While I have not (yet) heard the legendary SR-7, it is clear the SR-4 is a stellar design. In comparison to the LPS-1, it has comparable performance. Arguably, in some systems it may have a sonic edge, but it would be hard to generalize that statement. While the price of the SR-4 plus cable and shipping is just north of $600, it does have the benefit of voltage settings of 5, 7, 9, and 12V, and the ability to deliver upto 3A of continuous current. 

 

In contrast, the LPS-1 continues to be a champ at its $400 price bracket. My admiration of this PSU continues unabated. If your PSU needs fit within 7V and 1.1A, you really need look no further than this beauty.

 

Win-win!

Thanks for the comparison, very interesting. I agree the LPS-1 is a little ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

 

The LPS-1 might separate itself with an upgraded DC cable that is more comparable to your SR-4 silver DC3FSXLR cable.

 

Agreed. 

 

I have never tested my LPS-1s with a silver cable, as I’ve always been pleased with the results with my starquad cables - first, a DIY per John Swenson’s guidelines, followed by a Ghent cable.

 

So yes - If you already own an LPS-1, there is no need to consider the SR-4 as an upgrade, unless you need the higher voltage and/or current. You might obtain better value for money with an upgraded DC cable instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, austinpop said:

Preliminary Review of Paul Hynes SR-4

 

I received the SR-4, along with the silver DC3FSXLR with 2. 1mm Switchcraft cable the day I was leaving for a week long vacation. As a result, @limniscate got to spend some quality time with it, and put in some hours of burn in! Since then, it has received another 150 hours of burn in chez moi, along with all the other new gear in my system.

 

I had a chance to do some comparisons of the SR-4 vs. the LPS-1, both in my system and Eric's. The reason I am calling this review preliminary is because I wanted to go deeper, and experiment with these two PSUs in different parts of my chain, but this has been interrupted due to the failure of my tX-USBultra. When I get a chance after my tX-USBultra comes back, I will update this review with new findings, if any.

 

As it stands, I looked at 2 scenarios:

  1. Powering the tX-USBultra in my trifecta: modded switch > modded sMS-200 > ISO-R > tX-USBultra > Codex > Cavalli LAu > HD800
    • I set the SR-4 to 7V, to match the LPS-1
    • I used the DC3FSXLR silver cable on the SR-4
    • I used a Ghent Canare 4S6/Oyaide cable on the LPS-1
    • The switch, sMS-200, and the ISO-R were all powered by LPS-1s - I only varied between SR-4 and LPS-1 on the tX-USBultra
       
  2. Powering the dX-USB HD Ultra in Eric's setup: Zenith SE > dX-USB HD Ultra > Yggdrasil > AR Ref 6 > Sanders Magtech > Magnepan 3.7i
    • We set the SR-4 to 12V, and compared it to 2 x LPS-1s in series (each set to 7V and 5V respectively)
    • We used the DC3FSXLR silver cable on the SR-4
    • We used a home brew Canare 4S6 serial cable on the LPS-1s
    • In this config, we used the internal music player in the SE, with music files on local SSD.

Sonic Impressions

In setup 1, I felt both PSUs performed at equivalent "quality." While the LPS-1 had just a tad more air and apparent resolution, it was also the brighter of the two. Remember - this is not a criticism. These are purely comparative remarks. Both PSUs sounded wonderful.

 

The SR-4 had its own charms. There was a calmness, a blacker background. The mids in particular had a more natural, sweeter tonality and richness that was very appealing. Consistent with the apparent brightness of the LPS-1, the SR-4 had a darker tonal palette, overall.

 

In setup 2, the differences between the two were smaller. The LPS-1 did not appear brighter at all, while still delivering just a smidge more resolution and micro-detail. The SR-4 had a tad more bass. Again, both sounded wonderful.

 

Conclusions

The SR-4 is a fantastic PSU. While I have not (yet) heard the legendary SR-7, it is clear the SR-4 is a stellar design. In comparison to the LPS-1, it has comparable performance. Arguably, in some systems it may have a sonic edge, but it would be hard to generalize that statement. While the price of the SR-4 plus cable and shipping is just north of $600, it does have the benefit of voltage settings of 5, 7, 9, and 12V, and the ability to deliver upto 3A of continuous current. 

 

In contrast, the LPS-1 continues to be a champ at its $400 price bracket. My admiration of this PSU continues unabated. If your PSU needs fit within 7V and 1.1A, you really need look no further than this beauty.

 

Win-win!

@austinpop Thanks for the quick review look forward to your more detail version of it. So LPS-1 still holding up nicely.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, austinpop said:

Preliminary Review of Paul Hynes SR-4

 

I received the SR-4, along with the silver DC3FSXLR with 2. 1mm Switchcraft cable the day I was leaving for a week long vacation. As a result, @limniscate got to spend some quality time with it, and put in some hours of burn in! Since then, it has received another 150 hours of burn in chez moi, along with all the other new gear in my system.

 

I had a chance to do some comparisons of the SR-4 vs. the LPS-1, both in my system and Eric's. The reason I am calling this review preliminary is because I wanted to go deeper, and experiment with these two PSUs in different parts of my chain, but this has been interrupted due to the failure of my tX-USBultra. When I get a chance after my tX-USBultra comes back, I will update this review with new findings, if any.

 

As it stands, I looked at 2 scenarios:

  1. Powering the tX-USBultra in my trifecta: modded switch > modded sMS-200 > ISO-R > tX-USBultra > Codex > Cavalli LAu > HD800
    • I set the SR-4 to 7V, to match the LPS-1
    • I used the DC3FSXLR silver cable on the SR-4
    • I used a Ghent Canare 4S6/Oyaide cable on the LPS-1
    • The switch, sMS-200, and the ISO-R were all powered by LPS-1s - I only varied between SR-4 and LPS-1 on the tX-USBultra
       
  2. Powering the dX-USB HD Ultra in Eric's setup: Zenith SE > dX-USB HD Ultra > Yggdrasil > AR Ref 6 > Sanders Magtech > Magnepan 3.7i
    • We set the SR-4 to 12V, and compared it to 2 x LPS-1s in series (each set to 7V and 5V respectively)
    • We used the DC3FSXLR silver cable on the SR-4
    • We used a home brew Canare 4S6 serial cable on the LPS-1s
    • In this config, we used the internal music player in the SE, with music files on local SSD.

Sonic Impressions

In setup 1, I felt both PSUs performed at equivalent "quality." While the LPS-1 had just a tad more air and apparent resolution, it was also the brighter of the two. Remember - this is not a criticism. These are purely comparative remarks. Both PSUs sounded wonderful.

 

The SR-4 had its own charms. There was a calmness, a blacker background. The mids in particular had a more natural, sweeter tonality and richness that was very appealing. Consistent with the apparent brightness of the LPS-1, the SR-4 had a darker tonal palette, overall.

 

In setup 2, the differences between the two were smaller. The LPS-1 did not appear brighter at all, while still delivering just a smidge more resolution and micro-detail. The SR-4 had a tad more bass. Again, both sounded wonderful.

 

Conclusions

The SR-4 is a fantastic PSU. While I have not (yet) heard the legendary SR-7, it is clear the SR-4 is a stellar design. In comparison to the LPS-1, it has comparable performance. Arguably, in some systems it may have a sonic edge, but it would be hard to generalize that statement. While the price of the SR-4 plus cable and shipping is just north of $600, it does have the benefit of voltage settings of 5, 7, 9, and 12V, and the ability to deliver upto 3A of continuous current. 

 

In contrast, the LPS-1 continues to be a champ at its $400 price bracket. My admiration of this PSU continues unabated. If your PSU needs fit within 7V and 1.1A, you really need look no further than this beauty.

 

Win-win!

Thanks for the extensive review. 

I have also had an SR4 for a few weeks which replaced a modded Teradak DC30. I found that LT3045 voltage regs after it are not needed* now as there is no improvement with the SR4 in place, a testament to the quality of the SR4. (*Unless the regs are needed for voltage drops using DC Y splitter cables. )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like the sPS-500 is the way to go until the next LPS-1 (.2) is released.  Then we'll see.  A shame the SR4 wasn't a clear winner.  Considering the hassles in wait time, risk, etc, etc...well I've said enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

It sounds like the sPS-500 is the way to go until the next LPS-1 (.2) is released.  Then we'll see.  A shame the SR4 wasn't a clear winner.  Considering the hassles in wait time, risk, etc, etc...well I've said enough.

 

It's a shame that you guys aren't into DIY. You could transform an existing PSU such as an HDPlex  etc. just by adding a JLH PSU add-on after the appropriate supply rail, at a far less cost .Perhaps around $60 plus the PCB you would need to etch yourself.  Unlike an Ultracap PSU there is also the possibility of fine tuning the sound a little just by changing an electrolytic capacitor or 2 for a different type to suit the direction you wished to go.

i.e. slightly less detailed , or slightly more HF detail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×