IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

1 hour ago, limniscate said:

Only romaz can speak to that, since neither @austinpop nor I have the tX-USBexp.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Yeah, our comparisons are not going to add to Roy's comparison of trifecta vs. sCLK-EX modded server. At best, it will be an indirect comparison. Roy compared Zenith SE vs. his sCLK-EX modded server over on head-fi. We will be comparing Zenith SE to our respective trifectas.

In my case. I'll add another caveat. The Zenith SE, directly attached to my DAC (Ayre Codex) does not work. Nuno @ Innuos has suggested this is a known incompatibility between their USB controller and certain DACs, but as yet has not indicated whether fixing this is a high priority with them. As it stands, I will not be able to do a comparison of Zenith SE (by itself) vs. the trifecta.

The comparisons would then be:

• Trifecta (Baseline): modded switch > modded sMS-200 > ISO-R > tX-USBultra > Codex
  • SE with tX: Zenith SE > tX-USBultra > Codex
  • SE with switch and tX: modded switch > Zenith SE > tX-USBultra > Codex

I am at about 70 hours of burn in. I'll wait until I get to 200 hours. Yes, I am a patient guy!

I know of a way :)

2 hours ago, Johnseye said:

I agree with the conclusion although my comparison was with the mR and iR

It will, but I'm personally more interested in whether it would beat the modified motherboard with tX-USBexp and tX-USBultra trifecta version.

Thank you Johnseye, nice comparison,review.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

The Zenith SE, directly attached to my DAC (Ayre Codex) does not work. Nuno @ Innuos has suggested this is a known incompatibility between their USB controller and certain DACs

Well, that must have been a surprise!  Do you know what USB controller is used on the SE?  What is it about certain DACs that make them incompatible with this controller?  Wow, you would think Innuos would document this.  Do they have a user forum?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

I know of a way :)

1 hour ago, mozes said:

Me too :) 

Since we have the trifectae, Zenith SEs, a smörgåsbord of PSUs, and a reference clock, one of you guys should just fly down with your custom sCLK modded server, and we can do a real bake off! You could fit it in your roll-aboard.

Think about it.

54 minutes ago, rickca said:

Well, that must have been a surprise!  Do you know what USB controller is used on the SE?  What is it about certain DACs that make them incompatible with this controller?  Wow, you would think Innuos would document this.  Do they have a user forum?

No, those are questions I’ve asked, but have not received answers from @nvitorino yet.

6 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Since we have the trifectae, Zenith SEs, a smörgåsbord of PSUs, and a reference clock, one of you guys should just fly down with your custom sCLK modded server, and we can do a real bake off! You could fit it in your roll-aboard.

Think about it.

I will find my way to Austin one day.  The Bon Iver, Hiss Golden Messenger run at Austin City Limits will likely be some good shows.  Ausin's a good place for music.

5 hours ago, hurka said:

Some Lt 3045 boards arrived, Sotm sps 500 9v regulated to 2x5v feed singxer f1,and iso regen usb input,

same 9v connected to iso regen ,and tx usb ultra.Sparky sbc feed 5v 3A ultracaps,play from CF card,upsampled to 385khz.

Sound:

much better mids(stronger,accurate,clean) M a g i c a l !!!

better highs(some recordings too much,its not psu fault)

more airy than ultracaps(little)

bass more controlled(little)

Ultracaps warmer or just less clarity.

I need listening longer,this is just one  first impression.

Awesome hurka! LT3045s is magical indeed. The more LT3045s you add to the chain the better it gets! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

5 hours ago, hurka said:

Some Lt 3045 boards arrived, Sotm sps 500 9v regulated to 2x5v feed singxer f1,and iso regen usb input,

same 9v connected to iso regen ,and tx usb ultra.Sparky sbc feed 5v 3A ultracaps,play from CF card,upsampled to 385khz.

Sound:

much better mids(stronger,accurate,clean) M a g i c a l !!!

better highs(some recordings too much,its not psu fault)

more airy than ultracaps(little)

bass more controlled(little)

Ultracaps warmer or just less clarity.

I need listening longer,this is just one  first impression.

Interesting results. I have also SPS 500 feeding SOTM dx USB hd and tx USB ultra. 

I have LT 3045 boards on order. 

Which LT 3045 boards did you use ? Did you modify them to add larger capacity ?

About ultra caps , could you give some info on what did you use ?

Thank's

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

59 minutes ago, welldone said:

As May from SOTM said to me that LPS1 is not juicy enough to power Tx USBUltra.

Now, my Tx USBUltra has been feeding by a LPS1, and i really want to get your information about this.

Can anyone here using USBUltra with LPS1 share your own experiences?

Hi I have both SPS-500 and LPS-1 and also a Tx USB ultra and a dx USB hd ( with an sCLK ex clock board inside) .

From a power consumption i think that my dxUSB hd draw slightly more current than than the tx USB ultra .

The dx USB  accept 7~9v PS.

My dx USB hd run with the LPS1 which has no problem to drive it , i try the SPS-500 on this unit but i prefer the LPS-1 because it is a little bit more dynamic . 

For the tx USB ultra i have not try the LPS1 because my unit is set up for 9V and it won't run with the 7v LPS1 , i xill ask sotm to see which jumper should be modified .

There is three possible PS voltage for the tx USB ultra  6.5~8.5V , 9V , 12V  if yours is 6.6 to 8.5 you should be fine with the LPS1 as long as you do not the 5V on the USB connector from the tx USB ultra to power an other device

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

9 hours ago, austinpop said:

Roy compared Zenith SE vs. his sCLK-EX modded server over on head-fi.

Did he?  You asked but he never answered?  I never saw a full comparison..  

In fact, this is the only mention he made about his sCLK-EX server in comparison to the Zenith or DCS.

"I'll get a few things out of the way. Both of these units (DCS and Zenith) are excellent and the consensus was unanimous that in my system as stated, either of these units is a large gap better than a Windows 10 laptop on batteries running Roon. It was also a unanimous consensus that my current server build is better than either of these units but in different ways. For those not aware of the details of my current server build, here it is:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...reaming/?page=153&tab=comments#comment-724987"

That was it for the comparison and I would say that Roy still chose the sCLK-EX Server over these other two components.

I think I can also safely conclude that the trifecta will be better than the Zenith SE (solo USB to DAC)

Now could one modify the Zenith SE with an sCLK-EX for the ultimate server?  Guess I'll never know, seeing the price of this server is out of my game plan.

I think I'll wait for an audiophile mobo at a reasonable cost before any further server upgrades.  Meanwhile the $100 JETWAY NUC is serving me just fine.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

2 hours ago, Cornan said:

Awesome hurka! LT3045s is magical indeed. The more LT3045s you add to the chain the better it gets! :)

I don't believe this regulator woodoo.The good power source matter(sps 500),great regulator just don't add any extra noise,and help stages separation.

in my dac dont have regulators,just ultracaps:D

1 hour ago, welldone said:

As May from SOTM said to me that LPS1 is not juicy enough to power Tx USBUltra.

Now, my Tx USBUltra has been feeding by a LPS1, and i really want to get your information about this.

Can anyone here using USBUltra with LPS1 share your own experiences?

In fact i set my tX-USBUltra with 1.3v board to accept power range (6.5-8.5v) which let me to use LPS-1.

My power supply LPS-1 got warmer but i don't know if it is not juicy to power tX-USBUltra or not as i haven't another power supply, if someone here have LPS-1, sPS-500 and tX-USBUltra maybe he can give us a clear idea for our queries.

*Sorry i don't see the answer from Jean-michel6

19 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

Hi I have both SPS-500 and LPS-1 and also a Tx USB ultra and a dx USB hd ( with an sCLK ex clock board inside) .

From a power consumption i think that my dxUSB hd draw slightly more current than than the tx USB ultra .

My dx USB hd run with the LPS1 which has no problem to drive it , i try the SPS-500 on this unit but i prefer the LPS-1 because it is a little bit more dynamic . 

For the tx USB ultra i have not try the LPS1 because my unit is set up for 9V and it won't run with the 7v LPS1 , i xill ask sotm to see which jumper should be modified .

There is three possible PS voltage for the tx USB ultra  6.5~8.5V , 9V , 12V  if yours is 6.6 to 8.5 you should be fine with the LPS1 as long as you do not the 5V on the USB connector from the tx USB ultra to power an other device

Thanks @jean-michel6 and @beautiful music

My TX UsbUltra input power range is 6.5~8.5V, and LPS1 is being set at 7V to feed Tx USBUltra. Do hope that it will be fine.

1 hour ago, jean-michel6 said:

Interesting results. I have also SPS 500 feeding SOTM dx USB hd and tx USB ultra. 

I have LT 3045 boards on order. 

Which LT 3045 boards did you use ? Did you modify them to add larger capacity ?

About ultra caps , could you give some info on what did you use ?

Thank's

regulator picture alredy posted,

1a juice enough this time,dont trialed parallel

ultracaps:2.7v 100F PowerStor green cap

20 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

Indeed i asked before for how to set the tX-USBUltra to accept the power range (6.5-8.5v) in my previous post from a week ago.

Because you have a 9v, you can move the jumper from certain location to another as specified in image from May which i attached in my post.

18 minutes ago, beautiful music said:

Did you listen to your tX-USBUltra with LPS-1 or not yet?

Did you face a problem with those things?

Actually, i've got some problems with my chain in these days.

I had purchased Tx Usbultra several months ago. I’ve been putting it into the below chain:
Sms200->Wireworld starlight 7 Usb cable->Tx Usbultra-> Curious Usb cable->Dac Chord 2qute.

Both Sms 200 and Tx Usbultra are being powered by Rendu Lps1.
There has been noise in my system when i play music recently. And I’ve not experienced this kind of thing so far.
When i take Tx Usbultra out of my chain, noise is disappeared accordingly.

May from SOTM recommend me to double check the USB cable and power consumption of LPS1.

Even the problem has been solved when i replace Starlight 7 with another one, i've not known what the specific reason is here.

5 minutes ago, welldone said:

Actually, i've got some problems with my chain in these days.

I had purchased Tx Usbultra several months ago. I’ve been putting it into the below chain:
Sms200->Wireworld starlight 7 Usb cable->Tx Usbultra-> Curious Usb cable->Dac Chord 2qute.

Both Sms 200 and Tx Usbultra are being powered by Rendu Lps1.
There has been noise in my system when i play music recently. And I’ve not experienced this kind of thing so far.
When i take Tx Usbultra out of my chain, noise is disappeared accordingly.

May from SOTM recommend me to double check the USB cable and power consumption of LPS1.

Even the problem has been solved when i replace Starlight 7 with another one, i've not known what the specific reason is here.

Did you use two LPS-1 or only one to power both sMS-200 & tX-USBUltra?

Because i have a doubt that it can serve those devices. 

So i'm just running only tX-USBUltra with my LPS-1 at this moment.

1 minute ago, beautiful music said:

Did you use two LPS-1 or only one to power both sMS-200 & tX-USBUltra?

Because i have a doubt that it can serve those devices. 

So i'm just running only tX-USBUltra with my LPS-1 at this moment.

I've been using 2 Lps1 for SMS 200 and TX UsbUltra.

I've been looking for DDR3L memory with lowest current draw out there, so far Samsung seemed to be the winner with every single number that's kept under 1,000 mA

M471B5674QH0 : 2GB (256Mx64) Module

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/file/product/135V_DDR3_4Gb_Qdie_UnbufferedSODIMM_Rev121.pdf#page=28

Samsung 2GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600MHz Non-ECC CL11 204pin Memory M471B5674QH0-YK0
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PC3-12800-DDR3-1600MHz-Non-ECC-M471B5674QH0-YK0/dp/B00TUBT2KY

Samsung 2GB 1Rx16 PC3L-12800S Laptop Memory Ram M471B5674QH0-YK0 Tested
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-2GB-1Rx16-PC3L-12800S-Laptop-Memory-Ram-M471B5674QH0-YK0-Tested-/253324257430

I checked everything on Micron and Samsung etc. but pretty much all of them would exceed 1,000 mA. Of course our winner is compatible with Bay Trail (e.g. Celeron J1900 inside ZENith SE) as well as Braswell (e.g. Celeron N3060 / N3160 etc.) that could be found in many motherboards

https://ark.intel.com/products/78867/Intel-Celeron-Processor-J1900-2M-Cache-up-to-2_42-GHz

https://ark.intel.com/products/91832/Intel-Celeron-Processor-N3060-2M-Cache-up-to-2_48-GHz

https://ark.intel.com/products/91831/Intel-Celeron-Processor-N3160-2M-Cache-up-to-2_24-GHz

BTW, let's see if we're able to bypass all regulators and power DDR3L memory directly with LT3045 since we're keeping everything under 1,000 mA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LT3045-A-Ultralow-noise-0-8-Vrms-LDO-linear-regulator-0V-15V-1A-Fixed-out/253298389543

MoBo Memory Power Bypass

http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3267

http://www.aktives-hoeren.de/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6015