IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

5 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

To clarify, it has a standard 15 pin power connector and data.  It does filter both.  I was referring to the power connector being standard as opposed to slimline or micro.

OK thanks now I understand what you meant.  

5 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Also, if you note from my picture, the external DC in cable to SATA power adapter only has the two 5v cables.

This part I still don't understand.  What role does that external DC input play, how do you plan to use it?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

7 minutes ago, rickca said:

OK thanks now I understand what you meant.  

This part I still don't understand.  What role does that external DC input play, how do you plan to use it?

I can power the SATA drive from two (maybe 3) different methods.  A. from the motherboard's SATA power out pins.  B. from an external DC in to SATA power adapter and the still open question as to whether the 5v out from the sCLK-EX can power it.

Take a look at the picture in my other post of the power cable running to the SATA II filter from the external DC in which is connected to a case bracket.

22 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

the sCLK-EX server

Is that a product as well. (Server)  I've only see the clock board listed.

So now you are comparing different AE's, some without capable memory for data storage/streaming (to answer your first question). 

Yes, for streaming. Some products offer adding USB disks.

Streaming from an online media source such as Tidal has it's difficulties for best SQ regardless of AE, in my opinion.   I don't think you could ever equal offline source in SQ all things being equal.

Well if that is the case, and most people agree, then of cause my point/suggestion may be of less value. Still could be cheaper, but we don't know for sure.

Still we could discuss the possibility using virtual PC's as they in theory should not be affected by the same noise as a real one.

Of cause the virtual will use the same I/O's as a physical one, but you should easily be able to switch of those you don't need.

I hope someone will test this out. It should probably have its own thread. It should cost you zero to try.

We just know that it works to reclock that streaming data with the sCLK-EX and isolate from noise.

Exactly, but you don't need a expensive computer for that. SoTm and others I think offers stand alone clocks. 
As I said I'm all for better PS and clocks on AE, switches etc.

I'm just trying to sell the idea that you may move everything else out far away. (But yes, as you claim, that will affect SQ)

let alone you still will need a server for any offline streaming

Of cause, if your requirement is offline, (which I then wouldn't call streaming) then you're correct.

Anyway I hope I got some people interested testing virtual computers. It may very well be a extremely good and cost effective solution.

What is so expensive with DIY'ing a sCLK-EX server?  My NUC was only $100.  The sCLK-EX  is the expensive add on, but still less than the sms-200Ultra and the trifecta add on.

Sorry, I'm just not seeing the virtual PC thing at all. 

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

6 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Johnseye - you may want to try removing the ferrites one at a time, starting with the interconnects first, USB and Ethernet after that. I’ve read, at least with Naim gear in my case, that ferrites can kill the sound when used on the DIN to DIN ic’s. One might need to find that balance between softening of the sound, and maintaining the music and PRAT. Nonetheless, fun, cheap, harmless stuff. Much better than spending three figures for that incremental bump that you think you hear. 

I've been thinking about this.  How does ferrite "kill the sound"?  Is it then only removing EMI/RF which we previously thought of as part of the sound and something we've become accustomed with digital music?  It can not suppress, or cause a negative result before the analog conversion because it can't affect the data, only the noise on the line.  Putting it on the interconnects after conversion could have an impact if the ferrite somehow absorbs certain frequencies of the music source, but I haven't read of that occurring. It is possible though and more than possible I haven't read about it.

I have read of concern with ferrite becoming magnetized.  If this happens the sound can "harden", but that would assume the softening as a result of the ferrite was a positive, which I think it is.  Then you can either demagnetize the ferrite or replace it.

Since I'm rebuilding my server tonight I've decided to remove all the ferrite so I can hear what the new build is like without it.  Then I will add it component by component.  I will leave it off the interconnects for a period of time so I'll be able to hear the difference with and without ferrite on analog cables.

1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

I've been thinking about this.  How does ferrite "kill the sound"?  Is it then only removing EMI/RF which we previously thought of as part of the sound and something we've become accustomed with digital music?  It can not suppress, or cause a negative result before the analog conversion because it can't affect the data, only the noise on the line.  Putting it on the interconnects after conversion could have an impact if the ferrite somehow absorbs certain frequencies of the music source, but I haven't read of that occurring. It is possible though and more than possible I haven't read about it.

I have read of concern with ferrite becoming magnetized.  If this happens the sound can "harden", but that would assume the softening as a result of the ferrite was a positive, which I think it is.  Then you can either demagnetize the ferrite or replace it.

Since I'm rebuilding my server tonight I've decided to remove all the ferrite so I can hear what the new build is like without it.  Then I will add it component by component.  I will leave it off the interconnects for a period of time so I'll be able to hear the difference with and without ferrite on analog cables.

Just to share my experience with ferrites. I added 6 to my BJC Cat6a ethernet cable and the improvements with Tidal are noticeable. Lower noise floor with less high frequency harshness. I am using Wurt 7.5mm ferrites. 

3 hours ago, mozes said:

Just to share my experience with ferrites. I added 6 to my BJC Cat6a ethernet cable and the improvements with Tidal are noticeable. Lower noise floor with less high frequency harshness. I am using Wurt 7.5mm ferrites. 

Any chance you could share a pic ? Wondering where you put them .. Like close to plug end or doesnt matter .. ive never heard of them so just curious as i might purchase .. thnx 

1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

This is what Xtreme spaghetti looks like! 6 - count 'em - 6 LPS-1s alone. I love meets!

Alex C loves you too ! 9_9

BTW, a couple of Aussie friends also have LPS-1s too.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 minute ago, Boomboy said:

Thnx mozes .. last silly question . My cat 7 cable is 6.5 mm so should i get 6.5 mm ferrites ? Or a bit bigger to allow for any cable pinching ?

6.5mm should be fine, a tight fit is better so at least they don't move along the cable. I am no expert with ferrites though, just based on what my ears tell me. I tried adding the ferrites one by one  and I like their effect.

5 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

A tight fit doesn’t matter. You would be much better off getting a ferrite core that would allow multiple passes of the wire. Three passes would be the same as nine ferrite cores with 1 pass. 

Great you just gave me an idea of what to do with the larger ferrites collecting dust in my box

7 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Hi

I have also experiment with ferrite . However you need to be careful on which cable you use them.

All current are electromagnetic waves as well as Emi-rfi that we are trying to get rid of. 

Ferrite is effective with positive results ( from an audio perspective ) on digital cables ( USB, lan,...  ) on power cords. 

On interconnect , it has a negative effect as it just kills the sound making it softer and less engaging. 

One very effective way to shield all cables from emi-rfi is the use of mumetal , with two layers to passively cover cable. 

One cable company in france HiFi cable is using this  technology on all their top line cable with very good results. 

I have treated my digital cables with very good results. 

The main difficulty is to find mumetal for this at a reasonable cost. 

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

9 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

Hi

I have also experiment with ferrite . However you need to be careful on which cable you use them.

All current are electromagnetic waves as well as Emi-rfi that we are trying to get rid of. 

Ferrite is effective with positive results ( from an audio perspective ) on digital cables ( USB, lan,...  ) on power cords. 

On interconnect , it has a negative effect as it just kills the sound making it softer and less engaging. 

One very effective way to shield all cables from emi-rfi is the use of mumetal , with two layers to passively cover cable. 

One cable company in france HiFi cable is using this  technology on all their top line cable with very good results. 

How difficult is it to wrap the cables?  Is the mumetal fairly pliable?

Would it be possible for you to share some photos of your cables?

11 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

Hi

Ferrites are frequency dependent in their effect... generally in the MHz

This may be of interest...

https://www.murata.com/~/media/webrenewal/products/emc/emifil/knowhow/26to30.ashx

Looking at the ferrite stuff, there is a whole range including some low frequency ones deigned for SMPS's with a noticeable effect from 150kHz - 30MHz perfect for the output.

Trying to find some figures for the high frequency ferrites (100MHz-500MHz) all the graphs I have found so far only go down to 1MHz.