IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

First off I want to comment on how amazing May and Lee have been to work with.  Their time zone is GMT +9 which means they're 15 hours ahead of my time zone.  This makes the time window for communication short.  Phone communication with May is also challenging.  I tried calling many times but could not coordinate once.  Then May suggested Whatsapp and that's when it clicked.  She made herself available very very late in her day.  Because of how custom this work is, not to mention the further customizations I requested, there's nothing spelled out in writing about how it should work.  This thread is your best resource, and specifically Roy's post about his sCLK-ex build with pictures.  Pictures are worth a thousand words.

My modified equipment should be in my hands early this week.  Shipping my board, memory and switch (no need to ship SSD) via FedEx was about $95 and I work for a logistics company with an excellent FedEx discount.  I shipped it on a Friday and they had it in hand on Monday.  Once SOtM was able to look at the board and tell me what could be done I spent 3 days attempting to communicate via email which was a huge waste of time.  Once I was able to finalize the build it took SOtM a day or less to get the work done.  SOtM's cost to return ship from SK was even less at about $65.

tX-USBultra breakout

I did not own a tX-USBultra before so couldn't get a look inside.  I also couldn't find a good picture of how the sCLK-EX and USB module inside the chassis were connected.  I'd still like to get a good look at how they are connected so if anyone has a picture or could take one, specifically showing the DC power and clock tap connections between the power module, USB module and sCLK-EX not only would I appreciate it, but it would clear things up for anyone else looking to do this mod.

According to Steven at Audio Stream, the tX-USBultra is an sCLK-EX and tX-USBhubIN.  Considering the cost of these two cards separately is $700 (with one tap) + $350 you get a slight price break at $990 plus you get the tX-USBultra chassis.  I don't know for sure if it is the tX-USBhubIN as I never asked this directly of May.  So I will refer to it as the "USB module" because that's what May called it.  Crux was also offering a 10% discount which May honored for the tX-USBultra and tX-USBexp only.  All other hardware and work were at standard costs.  If May no longer honors that discount, maybe buy it from Crux first then ship it with your other hardware.

I went with the 12v version because I've loosely heard this offers better SQ, but my SR7 can also power it.  The sMS-500 can also do the job, and I have a hunch the next version of the LPS-1 will also.  According to May, the DC power into the tX-USBultra goes to the sCLK-EX first, is "purified" and then goes to the USB module.  I still don't know how the sCLK-EX feeds power to the USB module so I had to wing my solution and in doing so accounted for every possible option.  I couldn't get a clear understanding from May despite asking the question from several different angles how the USB card gets powered by the sCLK-EX.  I chalk it up to communicating over text.  A good picture of an intact tX-USBultra should clear this up.  What I have is the option to power the tX-USBultra chassis and USB module inside it direct from a 2.5mm DC in and that can either come from an external source or from the sCLK-EX as you see in the picture below.  What I wanted was a simple cable directly connecting the two cards.  I didn't want to have to use multiple LPSUs to power both cards since I had planned for the SR7 to do this.  I still may be able to power it through that blue and white cable directly, but this also may not be possible due to the need for the USB module to be connected to the external DC power in.  This is the unknown at this point.  I can power the sCLK-EX from an external power source (extra $55)  or I can power it via SATA which you see in this picture.  What I'm hoping is possible, is that my SR7 plugs into the tX-USBexp card's external IN, feeding the sCLK-EX, then the tX-USBultra (USB module).  Something very helpful to note is that the external DC IN power bracket can be adjusted on the sCLK-EX to take 6.5-8.5, 9 or 12v.

I opted for the 50 ohm master clock for wider compatibility options in the future.  Everything you see in the picture can be timed with as a single master clock connection.  I ordered a 6" SMB cable from DigiKey, part number J1206-ND.  SOtM provides a 1M cable only.  All direct clock tap connections from the sCLK-EX use a removable cable which looks to me like 6".  Direct taps from the sCLK-EX are $50 and include the cable.  The SMB connection is a tap @ $50 plus $70 for the SMB adapter and cable.

Motherboard and SATA II

The Jetway NF591-3160 has a quad core Celeron with frequency of 1.6GHz and burst to 2.24GHz.  It runs at 6W TDP.  It will upsample PCM to 192kHZ with ease.  This proc can not be dumbed down in the BIOS.  Unless I can't find how to lower the frequency, that's it.  I don't know if Roy's DFI board can be dumbed down, but may be worth checking if you want that.  I chose this board for a few reasons.  It has an M.2 slot.  This opens up SSD options.  I had been hoping to use an Optane drive with it, but am not sure if that's possible.  Regardless, I can make a direct SSD connection to the board without a cable via M.2 eliminating any noise that could enter a cable.  At the last minute, after reading some current conversations about noisy SSD's, I decided to take Roy's advice and buy an Intel X-25 E SLC SSD and SOtM's SATA II filter.  Refer to Roy's post as to why he believes this to be the best known solution to eliminate noise with an SSD.  I trust his research.  The board has a PCI slot and a mini-PCIe slot for multiple PCI card options.

One thing I noticed while looking at the picture of Roy's board is that his SSD was externally powered.  He did not mention how he did this.  I have an option to power a SATA device from the mobo via a cable.  I will compare this vs. the external connection.  This external DC to SSD power option wasn't cheap.  I have no idea why, but it's $55 for the external power IN, plus $150 for the cable to the SSD.  I sure hope that cable is silver because it's only 30CM long.  It's not listed on SOtM's site.

The mobo has 6 clock points: Main clock, 2*LAN, USB, Display, and I.O. Controller.  I believe the IO controller is for the COM ports.  I only tapped the 2 LAN points which use one tap and the main clock.  I see no need for the onboard USB personally.

Bill of Materials

- tX-USBultra (12V), 50ohm MC: 1200USD retail

- tX-USBexp: 350USD retail

- 3 points sCLK-EX enabling cost : USD150 (USD50/a point), 1 point for tX-USBexp, 2 points for the motherboard. The clock points on sCLK-EX are enabled and programmed.

- 3 points hard wired connection (sCLK-EX <-> tX-USBexp & motherboard) : USD150 (USD50/a point).

- 1 point SMB connection (sCLK-EX <-> tX-USBultra internal board) : USD70

- SATA Filter II : USD65 x2 = USD130

You'll note I bought 2 SATA II filters.  This was a mistake in communication.  I now have an extra if anyone would like to buy it.

The cost of this work is nearly identical to my Hynes SR7.  This makes me curious as to which will have the biggest impact to SQ.

Here's my spaghetti.  Pretty much everything will be contained inside the PC case with only SMB and power cables connecting the tX-USBultra.

1510358477868.thumb.jpg.03b5da42aab07d0630329b117d19b023.jpg

A simple schematic, not of my specific mobo.

IMG-20171109-WA0001.thumb.jpg.b2080de668e5fdb2d53f1fac55676670.jpg

The external DC power bracket

IMG-20171109-WA0003.thumb.jpg.d3c15e35f207cf325b6b2bed4b0897ba.jpg

The sCLK-EX power selection

IMG-20171109-WA0005.thumb.jpg.62464790bf3e74d28387f81a48d9314b.jpg

Great post and very helpful, thanks for sharing your learning.

On 31.10.2017 at 10:02 AM, str-1 said:

My Netgear FS105 v3 does not work with the LPS-1 (on either 5v or 7v), so I would have to use it with my iFi iPower 12v.  For the moment, I have chosen to use the ZyXEL ES-105A v3 with the LPS-1 running at 5v.

Very strange:

Then my post here might be wrong ?

On 31.10.2017 at 3:56 PM, Superdad said:

I tested and posted about this in the SMPS grounding thread last night. 

The Mean Well that works is 7.5V, whereas the highest setting of an LPS-1 is 7V at present. 

7V sees to be just outside of the range of the wide-range synchronous buck converter chip as implemented in the Netgear switch. 

Strange. Do you happen to have the GS version of Netgear available as well ?

Then maybe the GS version use uses a different chip, as per my post one hour ago in the SMPS grounding thread. 

On 3.11.2017 at 8:01 PM, ElviaCaprice said:

For 18K, I'm going to buy a DAVE and BLU MKII, like Roy, then who cares about the server, just keep it simple with a sCLK EX feeding it.

I think we should start a server audio company, repackage a few components, stick our name on the encasing, load it with Windows 10 Pro, our own optimization and label it as our own or AO.  Build a flashy website.  We don't do anything but have others do the mods.  Just great customer service.

My suggestion is to hire space in a server park. Do everything on virtual computers. 

After all we’re talking about an Ethernet interface or ?

I have unlimited storage in the cloud for $99 a year. (Renting server capacity is more expensive). 

I would like to have one virtual Linux for HQPLAYER, and one for Roon, and probably one or two personal PC. (Still in cloud). 

You can easily access computers via RDT even on a iPad. 

Since this must look like these computers is part of your local network (until Roon accepts an external installation), You would need OpenVPN net 2 net or similar.  (I have used OpenVPN as a road warier together with ipCop, so this works well)

Spending money on good clocks, power, switces, AE (audio endpoints) seems like a good idea to me, but I’m not getting it on the computer side, unless you must be offline. Or lack speed. 

You may compare this way of thinking where the AE is a thin client. Exactly how many huge companies operate.

So what’s wrong with this approach, except, you can’t go offline, unless you have a synchronized copy of those virtual computers at home ?

41 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

My suggestion is to hire space in a server park. Do everything on virtual computers. 

After all we’re talking about an Ethernet interface or ?

I have unlimited storage in the cloud for $99 a year. (Renting server capacity is more expensive). 

I would like to have one virtual Linux for HQPLAYER, and one for Roon, and probably one or two personal PC. (Still in cloud). 

You can easily access computers via RDT even on a iPad. 

Since this must look like these computers is part of your local network (until Roon accepts an external installation), You would need OpenVPN net 2 net or similar.  (I have used OpenVPN as a road warier together with ipCop, so this works well)

Spending money on good clocks, power, switces, AE (audio endpoints) seems like a good idea to me, but I’m not getting it on the computer side, unless you must be offline. Or lack speed. 

You may compare this way of thinking where the AE is a thin client. Exactly how many huge companies operate.

So what’s wrong with this approach, except, you can’t go offline, unless you have a synchronized copy of those virtual computers at home ?

Offline, my recurring cost is zero.

You can't control the source components from streaming online.  Best you can do is get data as stationary (without any electrical noise accompanied, isolated) in memory with proper media player and a sCLK-EX mobo to initiate the stream.   Which works either way offline or online (I prefer offline, easier to isolate).  How you store the data or from what source is irrelevant in my opinion (if isolated).  How much noise you create (electric) and quality of clocking from the streaming source onwards is extremely important.  Thus the server is extremely important at ground zero.  

So as to easily optimize the path from outside electrical interference, isolate, I prefer the shortest data (again prefer offline) to streaming path possible, also better for impedance.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

@ElviaCaprice

What is the difference between streaming Tidal direct to a top of the line AE, vs adding computers in your home before the same AE ?

Assuming you have very good switches in both cases.

Also how will audio noise (whatever that is in this case) travel from a server park either if it’s your private or it owned by Jay-Z ?

42 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

@ElviaCaprice

What is the difference between streaming Tidal direct to a top of the line AE, vs adding computers in your home before the same AE ?

Assuming you have very good switches in both cases.

Also how will audio noise (whatever that is in this case) travel from a server park either if it’s your private or it owned by Jay-Z ?

Just to clarify, the sCLK-EX server is an AE also, semantics giving.  So now you are comparing different AE's, some without capable memory for data storage/streaming (to answer your first question). 

Streaming from an online media source such as Tidal has it's difficulties for best SQ regardless of AE, in my opinion.   I don't think you could ever equal offline source in SQ all things being equal.

If I new the technical answer to the clocking question, I would be advising John Swenson on the matter.  We just know that it works to reclock that streaming data with the sCLK-EX and isolate from noise.  If you read JS's latest on outside electrical noise introduction to data streaming, you could imagine that distance does matter.  Can you sufficiently reclock and isolate a data stream initiated online, no memory storage, to the same sound quality of one initiated from a modified server with memory?  We have not done this comparison enough to give a conclusive answer, many variables involved. 

All I can say is that it's a heck of a lot cheaper to do it, component/power supply wise from a server, let alone you still will need a server for any offline streaming.  Thus the versatility and cost of using the sCLK-EX server (AE) gives it the advantage, in my humble opinion.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

On 2017-06-27 at 5:40 PM, paulhynes said:

The SR4 is in production engineering at present and I plan to have this available “Off the Shelf”, as a standard version to replace the SR3 in small quantities initially, from September/October to coincide with the new manufacturing facility start. Price will be circa £330 (currently $421) for all countries excluding Europe where VAT (Value Added Tax) will have to be added to comply with local tax legislation. Customisation outside the range of 5/12v is possible but this will be a made to order option and additional cost may apply for this depending on the level of customisation.

Regards

Paul

Paul Hynes Design

Anybody heard anymore regarding Pauls SR4? 

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
1 hour ago, octaviars said:

Anybody heard anymore regarding Pauls SR4? 

As of 6 weeks ago, Paul was awaiting the arrival of the revised PCBs from the manufacturer.  If their electrical integrity was correct, and if no further revisions were required, the launch would occur by the end of October.  I don't know what has happened since then.

The price of the SR4 is only for the PSU itself.  DC and AC IEC cables are not included.  You can buy the DC cable from Paul, but you will have to supply your own AC IEC cable.

On 11/11/2017 at 1:48 AM, Speedskater said:
Jim Brown is the go-to EMI/RFI expert, especially about ferrite chokes:

"RFI, Ferrites, and Common Mode Chokes For Hams" (skip over the Ham sections)
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

"Understanding How Ferrites Can Prevent and Eliminate RF Interference to Audio Systems"
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/SAC0305Ferrites.pdf

"New Understandings of the Use of Ferrites in the Prevention and Suppression of RF Interference to Audio Systems"
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/AES...itesASGWeb.pdf

Yep put one on all the equipment power cables & a couple inside the audio server/htpc on the dc leads to the sound card and usb card. Good low cost solution.

On 31/10/2017 at 9:02 AM, str-1 said:

My Netgear FS105 v3 does not work with the LPS-1 (on either 5v or 7v), so I would have to use it with my iFi iPower 12v.  For the moment, I have chosen to use the ZyXEL ES-105A v3 with the LPS-1 running at 5v.

I also have a Netgear GS105 v5, and yes, as others have found out, while the FS105 v3 does not work with the LPS-1, the GS105 v5 does.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

1 hour ago, Speed Racer said:

I don't know what you think you are gaining by using an LPS-1 or an LPS with the Netgear switch. Just ground the negative DC line and you are good to go.

You might be right.  I have already grounded the smps into the switch and I can’t say that I am hearing an obvious improvement swapping that out for the LPS-1 (Meanwell output also grounded).  But I have had to downgrade the downstream fmc input to its stock smps in order to try the LPS-1 with the GS105.  

If there is any improvement, it is miniscule compared to the improvement I got ferriting my Supra Cat8 cables and grounding all the smps (not sure how much improvement to attribute to each of these actions).

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

Good to know. Mine didn’t arrive yesterday but should be here today. 

I’m curious what is best practice with the very long smps cables such as the iFi ones. Just leave loose, concertina, or coil? And should one do several wraps of cable with the ferrite? And what’s the best position on the cable for the ferrites? 

Planning on doing all of the TV stuff as well that resides next to the hifi but is powered on a different circuit. I think those Roku’s, which are always on, throw lots of crap everywhere. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

I think you would be far better off to add a JS shield with ground wire to your needed audio cables like Larry did.  Best eliminate as many cables as possible.  Use adapters like the USPCB.

Johnseye - you may want to try removing the ferrites one at a time, starting with the interconnects first, USB and Ethernet after that. I’ve read, at least with Naim gear in my case, that ferrites can kill the sound when used on the DIN to DIN ic’s. One might need to find that balance between softening of the sound, and maintaining the music and PRAT. Nonetheless, fun, cheap, harmless stuff. Much better than spending three figures for that incremental bump that you think you hear. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

1 minute ago, charlesphoto said:

Good to know. Mine didn’t arrive yesterday but should be here today. 

I’m curious what is best practice with the very long smps cables such as the iFi ones. Just leave loose, concertina, or coil? And should one do several wraps of cable with the ferrite? And what’s the best position on the cable for the ferrites? 

Planning on doing all of the TV stuff as well that resides next to the hifi but is powered on a different circuit. I think those Roku’s, which are always on, throw lots of crap everywhere. 

Based on what @marce said I think if you can wind the cable around the ferrite you'll get a more impactful effect.  That's much harder, if not impossible, to do with larger power cables.  I read somewhere that there should be a max of 4 windings, but I'd take that with a grain of salt.  The cable running straight through the core is equal to 1 winding.

I also plan on doing this with all my other equipment now that I hear the impact.  

2 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

I think you would be far better off to add a JS shield with ground wire to your needed audio cables like Larry did.  Best eliminate as many cables as possible.  Use adapters like the USPCB.

Perhaps, or both.  Hard to say.  Did Larry actually buy that shield from Amazon, get it all connected and hear an impact?

1 minute ago, charlesphoto said:

Johnseye - you may want to try removing the ferrites one at a time, starting with the interconnects first, USB and Ethernet after that. I’ve read, at least with Naim gear in my case, that ferrites can kill the sound when used on the DIN to DIN ic’s. One might need to find that balance between softening of the sound, and maintaining the music and PRAT. Nonetheless, fun, cheap, harmless stuff. Much better than spending three figures for that incremental bump that you think you hear. 

Agreed, this will be an experiment for another day.

My package from SOtM is arriving today.  What great turn around and shipping time from them.  Looking forward to this new build.

I received a reply from May regarding how these devices can be powered.  There are still some open questions, including the main one regarding how the tX-USBultra's USB module gets its power from the sCLK-EX when that's inside the tX-USBultra case.

Different sized RF cables connecting the sCLK-EX to the board taps can be used.  Here's an example of these cables.

https://www.digikey.be/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/2015357-3/A36228-ND/1249192

This hardware is all rated at 2A, meaning power below 2A will cause an issue, but above 2A is ok.

tX-USBexp <-> sCLK-EX-> tX-USBultra USB module

• tX-USBexp can accept internal 12v from 4pin IDE molex or 9v max external.
  • If powering the tX-USBexp internally with 12v a cable can be run from the tX-USBexp's J403 output to the sCLK-EX's input with the sCLK-EX set to 12v.  If powering the tX-USBexp externally the J403 out can connect to the sCLK-EX power in and the sCLK-EX needs to be set at 9v.
  • The SATA power PCB is a small card used to connect SATA power to the sCLK-EX.  This card is reversible, meaning power can run in either direction.
  • The sCLK-EX also has a 5v power out if necessary.  I do not know at this time if it can be used to power a SATA 2.5" drive which typically takes 5v.  mSATA takes 3.3v
  • the tX-USBultra USB module is the same as a tX-USBhubIN but designed to be used differently and actually more similar to the tX-USBhubEX
  • the tX-USBultra USB module can only accept 6.5 - 9v DC power from an external source.  It can not be hard set.  The sCLK-EX even when powered at 12v will send power to the tX-USBultra USB module at less than 9v.  I believe it is output at 8.6v while the sCLK-EX being powered at 9v will output 7.1v to the USB module.
  • The tX-USBultra USB module can be powered either by an external 9v source or the sCLK-EX's external output.
  • The SATA II filter has a standard 15 pin connector.
17 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

The SATA II filter has a standard 15 pin connector.

I think this is wrong.  The SATA II filter is supposed to filter both data (7 pins) and power (15 pins).  So maybe the SOtM SATA III filter has 15 pins, but the SATA II filter must have 15+7 pins.

Just look at this picture

https://quietpc.co.uk/sotm-sata-noise-filter

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 minutes ago, rickca said:

I think this is wrong.  The SATA II filter is supposed to filter both data (7 pins) and power (15 pins).  So maybe the SOtM SATA III filter has 15 pins, but the SATA II filter must have 15+7 pins.

Just look at this picture

https://quietpc.co.uk/sotm-sata-noise-filter

To clarify, it has a standard 15 pin power connector and data.  It does filter both.  I was referring to the power connector being standard as opposed to slimline or micro.

Also, if you note from my picture, the external DC in cable to SATA power adapter only has the two 5v cables.