IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Just now, afrancois said:

I understand, but I didn’t wanted to go that route, sticking 3M on the chips themselves. Even the internally generated EMI will be greatly reduced using a complete shielding like I did.

Agreed, as my results found the greatest reduction in noise from shielding the cases themselves.  I did shield the chips after but can't say with 100% certainty it had a noticeable effect.  That it does is based on others observations and theory.

6 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Agreed, as my results found the greatest reduction in noise from shielding the cases themselves.  I did shield the chips after but can't say with 100% certainty it had a noticeable effect.  That it does is based on others observations and theory.

Does the 3M sheets have any effect on heat and it's dissipation.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

It is supposed to turn the EMI/RF into heat, so theoretically it should increase heat generated.  How much I don't know.  I never measured temp before and after.

I'm not as worried about the heat generated by the EMI/RF as much as the need for the enclosure to dissipate the heat generated by the inner component itself and how that 3M material could interfere with the enclosures ability to effectively dissipate that heat without causing over heating?

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

9 hours ago, Johnseye said:

My question as well.  Amazon sells an FS105NA which looks like it's the v2 switch.  I like that it's 7.5v instead of 12v as it makes it much easier to power with an LPS-1 if necessary.  @JohnSwenson mentioned the 12v having a better jack but not sure on the details.  This v2 version also has a grounding plug.  See picture.  Not sure how that plays into it all and whether using it provides any added benefit.

51FuPnWByJL._SL1400_.jpg

Careful guys. I just bought this from the Amazon link, and I was sent FS105NA Version 3 that uses 12v's.  Only Version 2 uses 7.5v.  So I gotta return this one and buy elsewhere I guess.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

16 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

I'm not as worried about the heat generated by the EMI/RF as much as the need for the enclosure to dissipate the heat generated by the inner component itself and how that 3M material could interfere with the enclosures ability to effectively dissipate that heat without causing over heating?

I can't "feel" a difference but the only way to know for sure would be to. A. take a temp reading outside and inside the chassis before and after B. Use a thermometer with remote capabilities inside before and after. 

There are people completely covering things and creating Faraday cages without issue.  Check out that other forum post.  My guess is that any damage you may cause of any would be after so many years of use that you wouldn't have the components anymore. You could also take some or all out if it felt or measured hotter than you're comfort. 

The benefit, not small, it's significant for the cost.  I was shocked. 

11 minutes ago, Forehaven said:

Careful guys. I just bought this from the Amazon link, and I was sent FS105NA Version 3 that uses 12v's.  Only Version 2 uses 7.5v.  So I gotta return this one and buy elsewhere I guess.

Great. I'm supposed to get mine tomorrow. Oh well. Easy enough to return but delays things for me. Thanks for the heads up.

3 hours ago, Forehaven said:

No need, both the 7.5V and the 12V ones work fine. I originally tested the 7.5V since that was all I had, then I bought the 12V ones and tried them and they did the same thing.

The problem here is that I have posted information on this in at least three different threads and information seems to get dissipated rather rapidly.

John S.

Does anyone have a GS105 or GS108 that they could loan to John to see if these current production switches also block leakage current like the FS105/FS108?

If John were close to me I'd happily drop him one to look at but I'm on the other side of the world :-(

5 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Does anyone have a GS105 or GS108 that they could loan to John to see if these current production switches also block leakage current like the FS105/FS108?

If John were close to me I'd happily drop him one to look at but I'm on the other side of the world :-(

Maybe John has explained this already but couldn’t find it due to this topic being spread over a few threads but what is it about the FS105/108s that make them block the high impedance leakage?

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

24 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

Maybe John has explained this already but couldn’t find it due to this topic being spread over a few threads but what is it about the FS105/108s that make them block the high impedance leakage?

Here is the post from JS where he explain that he do not know yet why.

This might also interest you. A plausible explanation to why Aqvox switch sounds best with input on port 1 and output on port 8, which we have known for quite a while.

BTW. I love the new bookmark feature on CA! :D

🎛️  Audio System  

9 hours ago, afrancois said:

I glued the sheets on top of the LPS-1 for example and it perfectly dissipates the heat the LPS-1 generates. I even have cooling fins resting on top of them.

Interesting to learn about how these sheets can help improve sound quality.  The only thing I am left wondering before giving them a try is whether the matetial is removable without causing damage once it is stuck down.  Need to think about resale value of components further down the line.  Does the material need to be stuck down for maximum effectiveness?

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

From a network engineer (Jon Michaels) on Roon Community forums:

--------

No, I don’t believe those would help, provided the switch is doing it’s fundamental job of getting the data packets in the correct and timely order from source to target. I don’t believe there is such thing as jitter on Ethernet and EMI/signal noise is fairly unlikely under most home network conditions and to any degree they may be would be effectively compensated by TCP/IP and Ethernet protocols, rendering such minor problems inconsequential to the receiving equipment.

-------

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, str-1 said:

Interesting to learn about how these sheets can help improve sound quality.  The only thing I am left wondering before giving them a try is whether the matetial is removable without causing damage once it is stuck down.  Need to think about resale value of components further down the line.  Does the material need to be stuck down for maximum effectiveness?

When the surface you would like to apply the 3M on gets hot, I think it’s better to glue them on. Of course I’ve never tried to remove them. I use it underneath the sMS-200 and under the sPS-500 and there it is glued onto the surface where the devices are resting on.

On 10/18/2017 at 7:02 PM, Forehaven said:

Just got mine and it was the 12v from Amazon.  I found a used v2 7.5v one on ebay. 

45 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Just got mine and it was the 12v from Amazon.  I found a used v2 7.5v one on ebay. 

lol  Johnseye, I just did the exact same thing...I'm sure it's great minds no? hehe

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

8 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Why are you guys going after the 7.5V ones? The 12V ones work just as well.

John S.

John,

1. The reasons are that it becomes possible to use an LPS-1 and that there is a grounding screw on v2.  Is there a benefit from using a linear PSU even when shunting with this switch?  Is there any benefit of using the grounding screw?
  2. If one has multiple switches with multiple devices connected to them throughout a home network, do you see a benefit of using these models, shunted to contain the noise?

Thanks

15 hours ago, Johnseye said:

John,

1. The reasons are that it becomes possible to use an LPS-1 and that there is a grounding screw on v2.  Is there a benefit from using a linear PSU even when shunting with this switch?  Is there any benefit of using the grounding screw?
  2. If one has multiple switches with multiple devices connected to them throughout a home network, do you see a benefit of using these models, shunted to contain the noise?

Thanks

There is no advantage from a leakage standpoint using an LPS. The grounded output of the SMPS already gets the leakage to essentially zero. There MAY be an advantage to a low noise supply, but I don't know for sure, I haven't spent any time looking at that.

The grounding screw is only useful if it directly connects to the ground plane of the switch. Just grounding the metal chassis is not sufficient. Grounding the negative of the supply guarantees that the ground plane of the PCB gets grounded. I just put a meter on mine, the ground screw does NOT connect to the ground plane, so connecting to it is not sufficient.

There should be no need to use these models anywhere else in the system. That is the whole purpose of these, IF the supply is grounded they completely block any leakage coming in from anywhere else on your network, period.

John S.