IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

6 minutes ago, rickca said:

So instead of getting 2 x tX-USBultra, @mozes could have gotten 1 x tX-USBultra and 1 x tX-USBhubEX and used an sCLK-EX clock point from the tX-USBultra to turn the tX-USBhubEX into a 2nd tX-USBultra?

Yes, of course that would be the economical way of doing it, but when your rolling like @mozes is with a new DAVE and two sets of new speakers, I don't think it matters.  :D

Now he has even more sCLK EX clocks to utilize.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

23 minutes ago, mozes said:

I have 2 tX-USBultras and one of them controls my switch. This leaves me with 5 spare sCLK EX output taps that I can use.  I need to think of how to leverage them without some crazy spaghetti :) 

Why did you get 2 USBultras?  Was it just for the clock taps or were you looking to chain 2 for some benefit?

2 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Yes, of course that would be the economical way of doing it, but when your rolling like @mozes is with a new DAVE and two sets of new speakers, I don't think it matters.  :D

Now he has even more sCLK EX clocks to use.

BTW, I only got the second tX as I got it for a good deal second hand :)

Still I must find some use for the clocks, anyway who knows what will come to the market in the future? Maybe there will be some need for these clocks later on.

3 hours ago, Johnseye said:

I don't own a tx-USBultra but since that costs $900 while an sCLK EX is $850 then using it for the two mobo clocks and the tx-USBexp would be a good solution. 

Actually the sCLK-EX as a stand alone one clock is $700, no 10% discount.  The tXUSBUltra is $990.  So there is a $290 difference.  Same price to add clocks.  If you we're alert not too long ago, you could find the tXUSBexp PCIe card used on the market for $150, as I did.  Back when the renderer craze was all the fad, folks we're dumping these cards.  Might even still find one today.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Re: sms-200 ultra 

My questions below will quickly reveal  my newbie status:

- if I purchase this, am I correct that most believe it should be used with the master clock option? 

- I know clocks have been discussed in depth. What are 1-2 master clocks I should consider? I see that the clock will dictate whether I order a 50 or 75 ohm inter-connect. 

- Seems there is no option to buy without power supply. Does clock drive what power is needed? The LPS-1 wouldn’t work? Maybe on the clock if not the ultra?

- Lastly, I use a Mac for music server and ethernet to an uR/IR with a Lush USB handling the last link to the DAC. Any issue with Linux/Mac compatibility? Would it make sense to try the IR with the 200 ultra?  

Thanks in advance for all your counsel!

6 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Actually the sCLK-EX as a stand alone one clock is $700, no 10% discount.  The tXUSBUltra is $990.  So there is a $290 difference.  Same price to add clocks.  If you we're alert not too long ago, you could find the tXUSBexp PCIe card used on the market for $150, as I did.  Back when the renderer craze was all the fad, folks we're dumping these cards.  Might even still find one today.

But you wouldn't just want 1 output, you'd want to utilize all 4.  The txUSBultra will get you 4, but one is used for that device itself.  I'll be keeping my eye out.

29 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

But you wouldn't just want 1 output, you'd want to utilize all 4.  The txUSBultra will get you 4, but one is used for that device itself.  I'll be keeping my eye out.

That is the price for both with 1 output.  Either, you pay more for extra clocks installed.  You don't get 4 clocks installed on the tXUSBUltra  for $990, just like the sCLK-EX solo, you pay $50 more per added clock.  I see you pay more for the master clock option on the Ultra ($200) as opposed to the sCLK-EX solo ($150).   By the time you add 3 extra clocks, installation, shipping to and from plus master clock option comes to $1590 Loaded tXusbultra.   sCLK-EX solo loaded $1250.  10 percent discount on either first time.  I added in your shipping to SOtM, you don't get a discount on that, or their added shipping.  Also you don't get discount on installation.  Only on those features able to choose online at time of purchase.

Whoops, I see now that the tXUSBUltra uses a different clock than the tXUSBexp PCIe card.  Can't combine them two.

45 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Whoops, I see now that the tXUSBUltra uses a different clock than the tXUSBexp PCIe card

I see the tX-USBexp has an option of sCLK-48.0 which is a clock that predates the sCLK-EX.  I think SOtM has not updated the information about tX-USBexp since the sCLK-EX became available.  SOtM needs to fix this.

In the sCLK-EX operating instructions Rev 1.8, there is a section on using sCLK-EX48 with the tX-USBexp, so you can definitely use an sCLK-EX clock point with the tX-USBexp.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

10 hours ago, rickca said:

Does SOtM have a good solution for putting the sCLK-EX somewhere in a mid-tower case?

Looks like the sCLK-EX gets installed in a 3.5" drive bay.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

22 minutes ago, rickca said:

I see the tX-USBexp has an option of sCLK-48.0 which is a clock that predates the sCLK-EX.  I think SOtM has not updated the information about tX-USBexp since the sCLK-EX became available.  SOtM needs to fix this.

In the sCLK-EX operating instructions Rev 1.8, there is a section on using sCLK-EX48 with the tX-USBexp, so you can definitely use an sCLK-EX clock point with the tX-USBexp.

SOtM can program the clock to any frequency needed.  The tXUSBexp PCIe card clock uses a 48 MHz frequency, whereas the tXUSBUltra uses a 12 MHz frequency.  Thus I was wrong earlier about the suggestion of using a single clock output for both.  Not possible.

Of course, I am using one of the sCLK EX clock outputs for my txUSBexp PCIe card.

Correct, the sCLK EX is installed on a 3.5" metal plate.  Fits perfectly into one of my other older 3.5" hard drive enclosures.

3 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

The tXUSBexp PCIe card clock uses a 48 MHz frequency, whereas the tXUSBUltra uses a 12 MHz frequency.

OK now I understand what you meant when you said tX-USBultra uses a different clock than the tX-USBexp PCIe card.

It's curious that Lee considers tX-USBexp as better than tX-USBultra because tX-USBexp is an older component.  I'd like to understand what makes the tX-USBexp superior. 

14 minutes ago, rickca said:

OK now I understand what you meant when you said tX-USBultra uses a different clock than the tX-USBexp PCIe card.

It's curious that Lee considers tX-USBexp as better than tX-USBultra because tX-USBexp is an older component.  I'd like to understand what makes the tX-USBexp superior. 

Go back and read what Roy has to say after meeting with SOtM engineers for more input.  Something about the design is better for filtering power. 

I would much rather be avoiding a USB mobo output via PCIe instead.  Also the tXUSBexp is much more friendly interface for using a USB adapter to connect to the next streaming component.  In my case, the DAC.

@austinpop, I think I read in one of your posts that you are using a power regenerator (PS Audio perhaps, by memory).

I got myself a Transparent PowerIsolator Reference (noise filtration and surge protection), and wonder whether it’s ok to plug a linear power supply with filtration (like the Sbooster I am using) into a power regenerator that also filtrates the power signal?

8 hours ago, AmusedToD said:

@austinpop, I think I read in one of your posts that you are using a power regenerator (PS Audio perhaps, by memory).

I got myself a Transparent PowerIsolator Reference (noise filtration and surge protection), and wonder whether it’s ok to plug a linear power supply with filtration (like the Sbooster I am using) into a power regenerator that also filtrates the power signal?

From what I read on the website,  while the Transparent PIR does offer filtration and surge protection, it does not regenerate and may not even regulate AC.

In answer to your question, I am using a PS Audio P300 to regenerate power for front end components as well as LPS's.  Like they say... GIGO or Good In, Good Out.

1 hour ago, BigGuy said:

From what I read on the website,  while the Transparent PIR does offer filtration and surge protection, it does not regenerate and may not even regulate AC.

In answer to your question, I am using a PS Audio P300 to regenerate power for front end components as well as LPS's.  Like they say... GIGO or Good In, Good Out.

Thanks, good to know that. 

Well, too much AC filtration/regeneration can take the life out of music. Hope the PIR will prove to be a worthy investment, as has been everything I ever tried and bought from them.

10 hours ago, AmusedToD said:

Yes, I have a PS Audio P5 regenerator. I've never regretted that purchase!

I'm not familiar with the Transparent. Sorry.

As for the advisability of all the filtration - it surely won't damage anything. As for SQ, I really can't predict.

On 9/25/2017 at 7:56 AM, afrancois said:

Interesting post, however, what many people tend to forget is that most new albums that are pressed on vinyl, have been through the digital machine. Very few pure analog recording studio's still exist today. Even quite old recordings have been digitally remastered before they are pressed onto vinyl. Something to think about. Honestly, I never heard a top class analog system in my life. Something I should do in the near future, with the risk of being somewhat disappointed for the rest of my life. 

There is an abundance of vinyl that’s not been through the digital machine of course.  I generally avoid vinyl that’s from a digital source and I’m still left with way too much to want to buy.  

I recently sat down to listen to my MoFi “one step” pressing of Bill Evans Trio “..Village Vanguard...”.  Mind blowing how great this sounds - made my digital versions sound flawed.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

15 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

That is the price for both with 1 output.  Either, you pay more for extra clocks installed.  You don't get 4 clocks installed on the tXUSBUltra  for $990, just like the sCLK-EX solo, you pay $50 more per added clock.  I see you pay more for the master clock option on the Ultra ($200) as opposed to the sCLK-EX solo ($150).   By the time you add 3 extra clocks, installation, shipping to and from plus master clock option comes to $1590 Loaded tXusbultra.   sCLK-EX solo loaded $1250.  10 percent discount on either first time.  I added in your shipping to SOtM, you don't get a discount on that, or their added shipping.  Also you don't get discount on installation.  Only on those features able to choose online at time of purchase.

Whoops, I see now that the tXUSBUltra uses a different clock than the tXUSBexp PCIe card.  Can't combine them two.

I should have also mentioned that I ordered my sCLK-EX thru Kamal at Crux Audio, the USA distributor of SOtM products.  They offer the first time 10% discount.  Followed thru on the entire order, worked great as a go between with May at SOtM and myself.  Will definitely be ordering my future SOtM master clock thru Crux Audio.

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

Yes, I have a PS Audio P5 regenerator. I've never regretted that purchase!

I'm not familiar with the Transparent. Sorry.

As for the advisability of all the filtration - it surely won't damage anything. As for SQ, I really can't predict.

I have the older and original P300 which can handle 300W max so am just using for preamp, DAC and a (seldom used) Teac UX-3 universal player/transport.

I have a friend who is doing something similar with a P10 for pretty much everything except amps since, in his opinion, the system does not sound as good as the amps directly into a home-run 20 amp circuit.  I too am using 2 in-phase 20A duplexes to power my system with the amps on one of the dedicated circuits.

IMO, the P300 regenerator is one of the best components in my system and think my friend with the P10 would agree.

58 minutes ago, romaz said:

SOtM tX-USBhubIN ($350)

Based on what Lee has told me, if I had 2 free PCIe slots, I would have gone with 2 tX-USBexp cards, especially since they cost the same.

Many thanks for posting everything in great detail.

Lee should have mentioned that fiber optic would add jitter and that's why SOtM would prefer filtering instead of isolation.

Is that why you'd rather forgo the option of Adnaco-S1B even if that were giving you extra PCIe slots plus the advantage of distancing tX-USBexp cards from other components?

http://www.adnaco.com/products/s1b/

Anyways, it's already a challenge to cram everything on top of Tranquility Base XL UEF so that's really no biggie.

BTW, you've gotta take a picture when Rob Watts drops his jaw after listening to your latest and greatest rig.