IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

6 hours ago, AmusedToD said:

Thank you @austinpop!

So while very good, sadly the QX-5 Ethernet and USB inputs on their own are no match for the digital spagetti solution.  As I understand from your review, the superior Morion sourced data clock inside the QX-5 is not enough in this case as the unit lacks system clocks of such quality for the USB and Ethernet, and that’s where the reclocking solution from SOtM basically rules at this point.

Well, let's be careful. I'm saying it the other way around. All I know is the SQ differences. The clock discussion is just a hypothesis for why that might be.

But empirically - yes - the trifecta still makes a big difference.

6 hours ago, AmusedToD said:

So back to the drawing board in search for a superior one-box solution :( 

Most companies do some things really well. Expecting one to do it all well seems unrealistic at this point.

Also, the thinking and approach of these talented designers has to evolve. If you listen to how Charles and Rob talk about their designs, it is in the context of "building a wall." I.e. - how can we design to be resilient and indifferent to what's outside our box. That's a reasonable imperative, since they don't control what's coming in.

What the trifecta and beyond - Roy's experiments - have shown us is that the true benefit comes from optimizing the whole system end to end.

I am sure companies will start to deliver less spaghetti and more integrated solutions. It takes time.

12 hours ago, austinpop said:

Anyway, I've caved. I recently bought Ghent's JSSG Ethernet cabe with Metz plugs, in the hope that it would match up to the dCBL-Cat7. Sadly, no such luck. The JSSG is a nice cable, about on par with the Supra. But compared to it, the dCBL-Cat7 is a significant step up.

Good to know.  I have the same Ghent ethernet cable, so I know what is the next level

NUC 7i3 (ROCK) > Ghent Audio Lan cable > SOtM sMS-200 (+Uptone LPS-1) >  0.2m Curious USB cable > Singxer F1 (usb to spdif) > 0.5m XLO digital cable > Audiolab 8000 Dac (25 years old) > Trends Audio 10.1 Integrated Amp > Kef 103/4 speakers

1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

I say that with a caveat because so far instead of just using an LPS-1 on my SMS-200 I'm now using the SR7 for my server (previously powered by an HDPlex supply) 

Johnseye: How much your server draws in watts? Which HDPlex you were using before? I have an SR7, but have not connected to my i7 6700 server yet, i use a 350W HDplex ATX LPS for now. I know total draw on my server is about 90W.

18 minutes ago, sig8 said:

Johnseye: How much your server draws in watts? Which HDPlex you were using before? I have an SR7, but have not connected to my i7 6700 server yet, i use a 350W HDplex ATX LPS for now. I know total draw on my server is about 90W.

My server draws between 20-25w.  It's simple and fanless. Every component was chosen for low power, while still providing a minimum for upsampling capability.  I'm currently upsampling with Roon but am going to give it a go with HQPlayer.  We'll see if my watt usage increases then.

I was using the HDPlex 160w 19v adapter.

1 hour ago, sig8 said:

1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

My server draws between 20-25w.  It's simple and fanless. Every component was chosen for low power, while still providing a minimum for upsampling capability.  I'm currently upsampling with Roon but am going to give it a go with HQPlayer.  We'll see if my watt usage increases then.

I was using the HDPlex 160w 19v adapter.

It's also worth noting that if you add up the stated wattage of each component that doesn't equal your requirement. If you want to know actual utilization get a Kill A Watt, put it in line. When you do this for all your components or are measuring your amp or preamp turn the volume up to the loudest tolerable level. 

Your utilization will likely be much less than stated spec. 

12 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

He said he doesn't do that stuff and hadn't been drinking.

Well then maybe this is what happens once your negative output is shunted to ground.  Nothing wrong with enthusiasm!

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

16 hours ago, afrancois said:

Hans Beekhuyzen goes berserk over the sMS-200 ultra. I too was really surprised when I heard the improvements over my standard sMS-200.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCoFIdPLcUk

You can tell he was genuinely impressed...:D

Maybe he needs a bit more time with the sPS-500...

I just couldn't believe how much better the overall SQ of the Ultra got, especially in the frequency extremes and the ease of delivery in dynamic passages, when it was added in the mix.

On 9/27/2017 at 7:52 PM, austinpop said:

Next up is a much harder comparison and sell - how much better is the QX-5 as a pure DAC, relative to my existing Codex?

What is your assessment of the trifecta+Codex vs standalone QX-5 (ethernet or USB)?  

Charles Hansen can tell a compelling story about all the impressive engineering in the QX-5, but if trifecta+Codex sounds better ... you get the picture.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

7 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

sCLK-EX with NUC modified arrived yesterday.  Finally took the time to hook it all up this evening, been listening for the past 4 hours on and off.  All I can say is wow!  The increased transparency and soundstage is a huge upgrade.  Blows away my ISO Regen, PPA card, Gigabyte I7 mobo setup.  It's not even close.  The only thing I need now to cap it off is my Paul Hynes SR7 MR4 alongside the upcoming SOtM master clock.   
I won't get into any further hyperbole.  This is a great option for those who want to stream USB only, simple and straight forward.  With this chain you get it all, easy one box software solution, video playback with hi res audio.   I am a big believer in the low power bit perfect stream, but I think both HQP high power upsampling mobos and bit perfect low power mobos can find a huge upgrade with the sCLK-EX clock mods.

Here is my current chain.

Jetway barbones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX added)  (HDPLex) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (LPS-1) => (USPCB) Chord 2Qute => Omega Super 8XRS

SCLK-EX powered by 2LPS-1's in a series.   DATA @ Windows 10 operated off a 5GB 2.5" HDD (LPS-1) via SATA II port.

I only have 4 LPS-1's on hand, so my testing with the ISO Regen properly is limited.  But I am certain that it would only be a negative to the current stream as Roy has found.

Once the Paul Hynes power supply is at hand it will power the NUC, Chord 2Qute, sCLK-EX and the sCLK OCX10. 

Congrats! I like the simple setup as well, I am also a big believer in low powered systems and let the dac take care of upsampling 

6 hours ago, lateboomer said:

May I know which Jetway barebone NUC? The power supply is dc jack input? What does "mod 3 sCLK-EX added" mean?  Is it 3 sCLK-EX clocks added to the mobo? Sorry for the slow comprehension.

I'm using this model JBC311U93, Celeron quad core @ 7.5W.  But really any model that fits your needs will do.  This one just happened to come up on ebay for a deal.  Really I was planning on using a Pico-ITX, but the barebones model I received was depopulated of the SATA II connection.  Also I found the Pico-ITX a bit lacking for hi res video playback.    Go here to see all the model NUC's by Jetway.  Whichever one fits your needs will work.  Yes, sorry for the notation, "mod 3 sCLK-EX is for 3 clocks used.   This NUC I use is 9 to 24 DC jack input.

Here is the PCIe adapter I used for the mini PCIe on the NUC to create a normal PCIe lane for the tXUSBexp PCIe card.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

20 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

I'm using this model JBC311U93, Celeron quad core @ 7.5W.  But really any model that fits your needs will do.  This one just happened to come up on ebay for a deal.  Really I was planning on using a Pico-ITX, but the barebones model I received was depopulated of the SATA II connection.  Also I found the Pico-ITX a bit lacking for hi res video playback.    Go here to see all the model NUC's by Jetway.  Whichever one fits your needs will work.  Yes, sorry for the notation, "mod 3 sCLK-EX is for 3 clocks used.   This NUC I use is 9 to 24 DC jack input.

They look like the Zotac Zbox C series. I used to have one. A great little device