Jump to content
austinpop

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, magnuska said:

Thanks for the write up. Have enyojed the ISO Regen/LPS -1 bundle a couple of days combined with soTm sms 200 ultra and TX USB Ultra , it is a large jump in SQ. I don`t have the clocked switch though. Feeding the internal DAC in my Vinnie Rossi integrated LIO amp.

 

No Lushcable but 2 very good USB cables from Triode Wire Labs TWL, ( Strange that these are not seen here more often) They are perhaps more famous for their powercables. 

 

 

 

 

Have you experimented with placement of the Iso Regen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Always.Learning said:

 

Have you experimented with placement of the Iso Regen?

 

No, I followed Austinpop and mozes recommendations in the mighty " massive " thread. Check out the index and read all about it If you have missed that.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2017 at 11:22 AM, limniscate said:

I haven't received mine yet either and paid at the end of May.  He has responded to my emails though.

I already posted this in my separate thread on customer service problems with Paul Hynes, but I did hear from him a few days ago for the first time in over five months. Apparently my PSU will be shipping within a week or so. Yay! As I said in the other thread, I have never questioned Paul's good faith but I do question his attention to customer service. That said, you can probably count on a world class PSU as long as you are willing to wait a very long time, pay lots of $ up front, and live with spotty (at best) communication. I will report back when the PSU gets here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, magnuska said:

 

No, I followed Austinpop and mozes recommendations in the mighty " massive " thread. Check out the index and read all about it If you have missed that.:D

I thought Rajiv and mozes differed in their opinion on where to best place the IR, with Rajiv voting for between the sMS-200 and tX-USB (where I think it sounds best too) and mozes voting for right before the DAC. But I may not be recalling that correctly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Always.Learning said:

I thought Rajiv and mozes differed in their opinion on where to best place the IR, with Rajiv voting for between the sMS-200 and tX-USB (where I think it sounds best too) and mozes voting for right before the DAC. But I may not be recalling that correctly. 

No It could be me who got it wrong. I may got a feeling that the more general opinion though  was in favour of our position in between the two

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Always.Learning said:

I already posted this in my separate thread on customer service problems with Paul Hynes, but I did hear from him a few days ago for the first time in over five months. Apparently my PSU will be shipping within a week or so. Yay! As I said in the other thread, I have never questioned Paul's good faith but I do question his attention to customer service. That said, you can probably count on a world class PSU as long as you are willing to wait a very long time, pay lots of $ up front, and live with spotty (at best) communication. I will report back when the PSU gets here. 

Glad you seem to receive it soon after long wait.

May I ask what Hynes version this is and what you will power?

I have been in contact with PH myself discussing a SR5 M2 powering boths my sotm sms-200 and my 19 v audioserver,

Nothing descided yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, magnuska said:

Glad you seem to receive it soon after long wait.

May I ask what Hynes version this is and what you will power?

I have been in contact with PH myself discussing a SR5 M2 powering boths my sotm sms-200 and my 19 v audioserver,

Nothing descided yet.

I haven't received it yet.

 

This is a custom SR5 with 48 volts of output to power my phono stage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Always.Learning said:

I thought Rajiv and mozes differed in their opinion on where to best place the IR, with Rajiv voting for between the sMS-200 and tX-USB (where I think it sounds best too) and mozes voting for right before the DAC. But I may not be recalling that correctly. 

Thanks for your great post. I enjoyed reading it, awesome system!

Based on many tests, I came to the conclusion that the IR is best placed just before my tX USB ultra, so my preference is exactly like yours. So now the tX is between the IR and the Brooklyn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, mozes said:

Thanks for your great post. I enjoyed reading it, awesome system!

Based on many tests, I came to the conclusion that the IR is best placed just before my tX USB ultra, so my preference is exactly like yours. So now the tX is between the IR and the Brooklyn.

It seems the three of us are in agreement, then. Have others with similar systems weighed in? (It's been a while since I've tried to catch up on this thread.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Always.Learning said:

It seems the three of us are in agreement, then. Have others with similar systems weighed in? (It's been a while since I've tried to catch up on this thread.)

More specifically, I found that the IR after the tX takes away some resolution. If you place the IR in front of the tX then you preserve the resolution of the tX and add to it a nice musical tone with more body and weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Always.Learning said:

It seems the three of us are in agreement, then. Have others with similar systems weighed in? (It's been a while since I've tried to catch up on this thread.)

Other than others, specifically Roy, have eliminated the Ethernet leg of the stream, thus the sotm-200 ultra and gone with a direct usb from motherboard via txbexp pcie card.  Clocks replaced are motherboard and txbexp via sclk EX board.  Optional to add a tx usb ultra and or iso regen.  Master clock for the sclk EX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, guys. As a newbie, I could use a little coaching. I'm waiting for my ISO Regen to arrive and will have to make the same tuff decisions about where things go in the chain. I don't know what 'tX' or 'sMS' or some of the other short-hand abbreviations are so can't figure out how to apply to my system. 

 

So pls tell me what to change in my system below to get to your "agreed" and ""preferred" SQ sequence:

-Ethernet>ultraRendu (powered by LSP-1)>

-USPC USB A>B adapter (comes with ISO Regen) >

- ISO REGEN (powered by LSP-1) >

- Lush USB cable >

- DAC (Simaudio Moon 280D)

 

Thanks for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bruce Orr said:

Ok, guys. As a newbie, I could use a little coaching. I'm waiting for my ISO Regen to arrive and will have to make the same tuff decisions about where things go in the chain. I don't know what 'tX' or 'sMS' or some of the other short-hand abbreviations are so can't figure out how to apply to my system. 

 

So pls tell me what to change in my system below to get to your "agreed" and ""preferred" SQ sequence:

-Ethernet>ultraRendu (powered by LSP-1)>

-USPC USB A>B adapter (comes with ISO Regen) >

- ISO REGEN (powered by LSP-1) >

- Lush USB cable >

- DAC (Simaudio Moon 280D)

 

Thanks for your help!

Nothing to say, you got it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bruce Orr said:

Ok, guys. As a newbie, I could use a little coaching. I'm waiting for my ISO Regen to arrive and will have to make the same tuff decisions about where things go in the chain. I don't know what 'tX' or 'sMS' or some of the other short-hand abbreviations are so can't figure out how to apply to my system. 

 

So pls tell me what to change in my system below to get to your "agreed" and ""preferred" SQ sequence:

-Ethernet>ultraRendu (powered by LSP-1)>

-USPC USB A>B adapter (comes with ISO Regen) >

- ISO REGEN (powered by LSP-1) >

- Lush USB cable >

- DAC (Simaudio Moon 280D)

 

Thanks for your help!

 

Your IR is in right place, the main idea for IR is to provide the cleanest power to device, which consumes power from usb cable. Im going to do the same for my converter, as the power from mRendu/uRendu is already polluted and your dac(my converter in my setup) is getting dirty power, which of course has influence on SQ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Always.Learning said:

Based on many tests, I came to the conclusion that the IR is best placed just before my tX USB ultra,

I agree with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few pics of the SOtM modded items which have just arrived back.

 

I can now hear why so many of you mod the Singxer SU-1, the soundstage/imaging is amazing with the REF 10 engaged.

 

 

W4S DAC2v2SE.JPG

Singxer SU-1.JPG

Singxer SU-1 Internal.JPG

Other Mods.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

What was the cost for modyfing the SU-1? 

 

The sCLK-EX board was USD750 + USD100 installation cost, replacing the caps was USD20.

 

I also paid for a few other options like the master clock connection etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bamber said:

A few pics of the SOtM modded items which have just arrived back.

 

I can now hear why so many of you mod the Singxer SU-1, the soundstage/imaging is amazing with the REF 10 engaged.

 

 

 

 

Singxer SU-1 Internal.JPG

 

Outstanding!  By looking at the mod picture, it appear they installed one output to the 22.5792MHz oscillator location, one output to the 24MHz oscillator (USB input) location, and one more output to the external connector.  Since it is not clear from the picture, did they not upgrade the 24.576MHz oscillator or they use the REF0 to control the output of both 22.5792MHz and 24.576MHz (my speculation)?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, elan120 said:

Since it is not clear from the picture, did they not upgrade the 24.576MHz oscillator or they use the REF0 to control the output of both 22.5792MHz and 24.576MHz (my speculation)?  

You are correct both internal clocks were replaced and I requested  the 3rd external clock point for a future upgrade project.

 

They have moved one internal clock point as you spotted as I asked them to make any changes they felt would bring an improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bamber said:

You are correct both internal clocks were replaced and I requested  the 3rd external clock point for a future upgrade project.

 

They have moved one internal clock point as you spotted as I asked them to make any changes they felt would bring an improvement.

Thank you @Bamber for the clarification.  Using just one output and REF0 to control the output for both 22.5792MHz and 24.579MHz is a good efficient way to conserve one more output from the sCLK-EX board.  I was hoping SOtM will do the mod after seeing your post but they appear to change their mind now and not willing to mod SU-1 anymore.  I am working on changing out the USB input oscillator (24.000MHz) to see the effect, and consider further mod using sCLK-EX board to compare, and your positive input on the SQ improvement definitely is a good encouragement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Always.Learning Nice work listening and reporting on the combinations. 

 

It was useful to read the comparisons.  Do you listen for any combination that seems to add up to more than the sum of the parts? 

 

 Totally subjective question, I know, but I feel that if your system is resolving enough (and yours seems to be!), you will hear subtle improvements as tipping the scale one way or the other for what you like to hear in an audio system.  At least, that is my experience.  It seems to me that the right cable with the right component and power supply (and power cables) add up to a lot. 

 

I suppose all of this is just tuning a system to taste, so I'm curious if you have any thoughts to share about that. Thank you.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×