IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

I was hoping to try this (bridging) out in the context of UPnP/DLNA using MinimServer, but have had no luck getting bridging to work on my Synology NAS. At this point, I'm not willing to spend more time and effort on that.

I do, at some point, want to try out the whole Roon and HQPlayer paradigm, and have a W10 desktop I can use for that purpose. I think I will piggyback this bridging experiment when I do that.

Why not try running MinimServer on the W10 desktop and configure it in bridged mode? You could either have MinimServer configured to just read from either a folder on your NAS or a folder locally on the W10 desktop containing some music files. Could be a quick and dirty way just to see if there would be value in pursuing this further.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Why not try running MinimServer on the W10 desktop and configure it in bridged mode? You could either have MinimServer configured to just read from either a folder on your NAS or a folder locally on the W10 desktop containing some music files. Could be a quick and dirty way just to see if there would be value in pursuing this further.

Indeed!

This was on my mind, but I forgot to mention it with all the Roon/HQP talk. It may be a while before I get to it, though. My desktop doesn't have a second Eth adapter.

Tried both but didn't change the situation. Strange since just about everything else works. I can access the mR also via wireless, iPad, etc., without an issue. Only VNC access to the music pc seems slower than before.

If you check the tcp/ip properties V4 for your adaptors within your bridge, do they both have the same Static IP settings? Although I defined mine just like your example, after creating the bridge, they both have the same address settings.

Sorry...just got back.

Once the 2 NICs are bridged, Windows doesn't let me examine the TCP/IP properties for each adapter.

The Network Bridge does allow me to check its TCP/IP properties.

I'm attaching some screenshots in case they help.

What OS are you using?

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 7.35.18 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 7.32.45 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 7.32.56 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 7.33.25 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 7.33.31 PM.jpg

Indeed!

This was on my mind, but I forgot to mention it with all the Roon/HQP talk. It may be a while before I get to it, though. My desktop doesn't have a second Eth adapter.

There are many reasonably priced USB to Ethernet adapters listed on Amazon.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Sorry...just got back.

Once the 2 NICs are bridged, Windows doesn't let me examine the TCP/IP properties for each adapter.

Adapters don't have TCP/IP addresses, PCs do! The bridge defines the address for the PC, the adapters don't have or need one.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

That looks like a good choice if your desktop has USB 3.0 ports. Alternatively you could go with the USB 2.0 version, but that one doesn't do gigabit.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Hi! Anyone tried Win8 SMS-200 UPNP successfully? Bridging seems to be fine, but the sound is slow and stuttering. Tried two days and failed. Help greatly appreciated!

Works with Windows 10. Don't have a Windows 8 install anymore, but I'm guessing it will work fine too.

Can you open up a command prompt window, issue the ipconfig command, and post a screenshot or photo of the results?

See

if you need help with that.
Hi! Anyone tried Win8 SMS-200 UPNP successfully? Bridging seems to be fine, but the sound is slow and stuttering. Tried two days and failed. Help greatly appreciated!

I have the same problem (after it worked fine the first time I tried it) : see my previous post

I have tested 2 other computers (both with their Mobo NIC and the same Startech USB-LAN-adapter).

With a fanless Shuttle computer under W10 : same stuttering result. With my Lenovo Z50 notebook under W10 : no stuttering. With my NUC under W2012R2 : stuttering.

I still do not know what the reason could be. Maybe I should try a PCIe card with a LAN-port?

Check my profile for my audiosystem.

.....Once the 2 NICs are bridged, Windows doesn't let me examine the TCP/IP properties for each adapter. The Network Bridge does allow me to check its TCP/IP properties....

What strikes me in your screenshots : I HAVE to give a static IP address to the bridge, otherwise it will not recognize my network. You apparently can manage with a DHCP IP address?

Check my profile for my audiosystem.

Sorry...just got back.

I'm attaching some screenshots in case they help.

What OS are you using?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32387[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32388[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32389[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32390[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32391[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the screenshots. That reflects exactly how mine looks. What throws me off somewhat is this article: How to set up and manage a Network Bridge connection on Windows 10 | Windows Central, which adds the addtional step of assigning a static ip address to the bridge once windows has created it. For my setup (Standard Windows 10) it doesn't matter either way. HQPlayer refuses to recognize the device.

Perhaps there is some Windows service getting in the way on my pc which you have disabled via optimizer, etc.? I have also noticed that the bridge really pulls the brake on the upload speed from the pc to the internet. (by a factor of 10!)

What strikes me in your screenshots : I HAVE to give a static IP address to the bridge, otherwise it will not recognize my network. You apparently can manage with a DHCP IP address?

Interesting...

Before I created the network bridge, I assigned each NIC a static IP address. One was on my normal network's subnet (192.168.1.*). The other was set up to use a 10.0.0.* subnet. See post 250 in this thread for screenshots, if that helps.

Then, when I created the network bridge, the bridge grabbed an IP address from the DHCP server on my network (my router). I didn't set the bridge up to do DHCP or anything. It's just what happened...

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the screenshots. That reflects exactly how mine looks. What throws me off somewhat is this article: How to set up and manage a Network Bridge connection on Windows 10 | Windows Central, which adds the addtional step of assigning a static ip address to the bridge once windows has created it. For my setup (Standard Windows 10) it doesn't matter either way. HQPlayer refuses to recognize the device.

Perhaps there is some Windows service getting in the way on my pc which you have disabled via optimizer, etc.? I have also noticed that the bridge really pulls the brake on the upload speed from the pc to the internet. (by a factor of 10!)

So what exactly is happening?

What are the settings for each NIC before you create the bridge?

Once you create the bridge, what happens? What does an ipconfig command show?

So what exactly is happening?

What are the settings for each NIC before you create the bridge?

Once you create the bridge, what happens? What does an ipconfig command show?

I setup each NIC exactly as you have in your screenshots with the exception of my specifics (192.168.178.x) for the NIC which should access the internet. I then create the bridge and it grabs an IP adress from the Router. The ipconfig looks good. (just like it should)

Thx for your patience with this and really appreciate the help. Must be getting late in Chicago?

Bridging will definitely work with minimserver - UPnP/DLNA.
So, how do you propose UPnP/DLNA working in the standard three box setup, ie, with the UPnP control point app on the WiFi device?

UPnP device discovery is notoriously picky due to poor support of IGMP multicast on many network management devices and that's just using one subnet. It'll be difficult if not impossible for most to configure their network to support IGMP multicast across two subnets.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

So, how do you propose UPnP/DLNA working in the standard three box setup, ie, with the UPnP control point app on the WiFi device?

UPnP device discovery is notoriously picky due to poor support of IGMP multicast on many network management devices and that's just using one subnet. It'll be difficult if not impossible for most to configure their network to support IGMP multicast across two subnets.

I am not advocating use of two subnets so igmp is not an issue.

Also, minimserver UPnP/DLNA ran for years here with minimserver running in a bridged NAS without any problems. Since I have moved to HQplayer/Roon on the same hardware config.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I setup each NIC exactly as you have in your screenshots with the exception of my specifics (192.168.178.x) for the NIC which should access the internet. I then create the bridge and it grabs an IP adress from the Router. The ipconfig looks good. (just like it should)

Thx for your patience with this and really appreciate the help. Must be getting late in Chicago?

Is your microRendu pulling an IP address?

I think for this, you can't rely on the sonicorbiter.com webpage. I say that because I have 2 microRendus (one for my main system and one for a headphone system), and for the last few days I have been alternating between connecting one of them directly to one of my NICs. However, when I go to MySonicorbiter, it shows me both of my microRendus, even though one is definitely not connected to any network at the time.

If you see your microRendu when you go to MySonicorbiter, are you able to successfully go into the settings (in other words, hit Manage, then Apps, then DAC diagnostics, for example)?

Can you open up a command prompt window and ping the ip address you think the microRendu has been given? Ping it a bunch of times (to see if you can get to it at all, and if so, whether there are any dropped packets). To ping it 200 times, type: ping xxx.xxx.xxx.x(IP Address) -n 200.

I have the same problem (after it worked fine the first time I tried it) : see my previous post

I have tested 2 other computers (both with their Mobo NIC and the same Startech USB-LAN-adapter).

With a fanless Shuttle computer under W10 : same stuttering result. With my Lenovo Z50 notebook under W10 : no stuttering. With my NUC under W2012R2 : stuttering.

I still do not know what the reason could be. Maybe I should try a PCIe card with a LAN-port?

@Peter_T by any chance do you have any other devices attached to another USB port aside come the USB to Ethernet adapter? I believe USB traffic can only occur through one port at a time so if multiple ports are sending data simultaneously and continuously like when listening to music this could be the cause of the stuttering. I had a similar issue when I was using a USB to wifi adapter and connecting DAC via USB to my pc. I think the USB implementation on the PC plays a big part. Just a thought.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I had a similar problem. What fixed it was pulling out the USB ethernet adapter and plugging it back in. That changed the ipv4 settings. Then I re bridged the ports. Worked fine after that.