IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

3 hours ago, romaz said:

A wonderfully enlightening read.  A lot of hard work on both yours and Eric's part, thanks!

Thanks for your kind words! It was also a lot of fun.

No question about convenience with 6.5-9V, especially for LPS-1 owners.  Generally, when a component consumes a fixed amount of power (watts), the advantage of going with a higher voltage supply is that less current is drawnand  to draw less current results in less noise in the ground plane.  

This is true in a pure Ohm's law sense, but... A DC power supply uses regulator(s) to allow a range of input voltages while providing a fixed (lower) output voltage that the component's circuit(s) actually needs. The current drawn by the component is whatever the circuit draws at this lower regulated voltage. So, say the circuit runs at 5V, but the regulators allow a voltage range from 6-14V, then the current drawn is whatever the circuit itself needs at 5V. Say that's 1A. Then the circuit draws 5W, and if the input voltage is 9V, then the regulators have to drop 4V across them, while passing through a current of 1A, which requires them to dissipate an additional 4W as heat. In that sense, the higher the difference between the input voltage, and the internal regulated voltage, the more heat the regulators dissipate.

I've seen @Superdad talk about this often, but I just referenced a recent post where he reiterates this point: 

Anyway, my point is that for regulated supplies, a higher input voltage does not result in any lower current, just more dissipated heat from the regulators.

Now, a more plausible explanation for the better SQ for the 12V Ultra could be that the regulators that SOtM used for the 12V version are sonically superior in design than what they used for the 6.5-9V version.

Still, all in all, we didn't find a noticeable difference here.

... there is probably more to why the SU-1 sounds good then just the clock.  For starters, the XMOS USB interface used by the dX is quite old (2nd generation) while the SU-1 uses the latest version.  I think this is a big deal and it sounds as if the dX is in need of a freshening up.

Yes, Eric and I had the same thought about the older XMOS platform.

I have posted this same impression regarding the iSO-CAT6 isolator several times on this thread already and so this observation comes at no surprise.  There is definitely some improvement in terms of alleviating a certain harshness but the improvement is small.  I use it because I already own it and that's it.  

Yes, this continues to be my experience with Ethernet isolators too. I know @lmitche and some others have found dramatic improvements with this class of device (EmoSystems, Etalon), which is puzzling. Like you, in my experience, neither the iSO-Cat6 nor my earlier Baaske made much of an impact at all.

When I first reported on this, the main impact of the dCBL-CAT7s were within the direct connection pathway.   ... Within the "direct path" between the server and the sMS-200ultra, I did find the impact significant and worthwhile. ... My only complaint about this is how thick and unwieldy these CAT7 cables are.  Another reason I chose to go straight USB.

To be clear, we also used the dCBL7 in the direct path only, not upstream of the Roon server. Did I give that impression? If so, apologies.

I did find the dCBL7 to improve the SQ. This is honestly the first time I ever heard an Ethernet cable to sound better. But I didn't think it was $500 better. Certainly not anywhere near as significant as the addition of the switch. So in this regard, we clearly hear different magnitudes to these effects. Very likely, your system is far more resolving.

Eric will gladly lend me these cables to try in my setup, so I will reassess the effects of the iSO-Cat6 and the dCBL7 in my setup. 

Finally, I heartily concur about the unwieldiness and stiffness of these cables!

3 hours ago, rickca said:

For those using SOtM-modded ethernet switch and sMS-200ultra, what if you added the JCAT NET Card Femto? 

TBH, this sounds very interesting, but I don't know what to expect. When we added a 2nd switch in the direct connection - to add another sCLK-EX reclocking - the incremental SQ improvement was small.

So is that a good proxy for what to expect with the JCAT femto card? Or will the improvement be greater/worse? We just don't know.

Anybody going to to try one?!

4 hours ago, romaz said:

Only that the sCLK's internal clock performance no longer matters since that responsibility is being shifted to the REF10's OCXO.

55 minutes ago, romaz said:

The REF10 might show me that my replacement of 8 clocks will be serious overkill.

In that case, there will be a (niche) market for a little something then.

BTW, we could already tell what romaz's plan would look like once that digital amp from Chord is released in the future

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-42#post_12041809

Not quite 746W into 8Ω but there will be more choices for speakers.

2 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Going form $3k to $30k will have a big effect.  There are low priced gems out there like the Omegas but you're in a new ballpark.  If I could make a suggestion. You've already started listening to some good speakers.  Listen to a lot more and take them home. Side by side your final choices.  Don't focus on what your Chord can power in highly efficient speakers and dismiss using amps.  You might be surprised.  Finally, give Paradigm's new line, the Persona 9H a listen.  They're about $35k and are amazing.  Speakers have the biggest bang for the buck in sound quality improvement. Have fun picking a new pair.

The Voxativ 9.87s with the upgraded AC-4X drivers actually cost $45k.  Not anything I am ready for at this time but they are my dream setup. We can all dream.  The Voxativs I have on loan are the entry level Hagens at about $5k and much better suited to near field listening although I am in discussions with Holger regarding a custom made set with his better drivers.

If you haven't figured out by now, I have a penchant for trying things and so I have had many things come through my house including speakers from B&W, Sonus Faber, KEF, Martin Logan, Totem and Trenner & Friedl just in the past 2 years.  The list of names is just as long with regards to subwoofers.

Nothing against the Paradigms but just not my cup of tea.  As I stated, at all the audio shows, I get to hear many things but I always find myself gravitating to the high-efficiency crossover-less widebanders that can be powered by 2-10 watt amps.  They just speak to me more.  In our home theater, we have a pair of Sonus Faber Cremonas powered by a 300W multichannel Classe amp and augmented by JL Audio subs.  They sound great...for movies, but given the choice, when listening to music for enjoyment, I find myself almost always gravitating to my near field setup.

I'm not against using other amplification having owned or demo'd a variety of tube and transistor amps and preamps over the years.  With SETs, I generally prefer the delicacy of smaller tubes (45s and especially 2A3s) as opposed to the larger tubes (300Bs, 845s, 211s).  With transistor amps, the 25W First Watt J2 by Nelson Pass is my favorite.  However, none of them can do what my Chord DAVE can do when powering speakers directly.  To borrow your own phrase, you might be surprised.

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

This is true in a pure Ohm's law sense, but... A DC power supply uses regulator(s) to allow a range of input voltages while providing a fixed (lower) output voltage that the component's circuit(s) actually needs. The current drawn by the component is whatever the circuit draws at this lower regulated voltage. So, say the circuit runs at 5V, but the regulators allow a voltage range from 6-14V, then the current drawn is whatever the circuit itself needs at 5V. Say that's 1A. Then the circuit draws 5W, and if the input voltage is 9V, then the regulators have to drop 4V across them, while passing through a current of 1A, which requires them to dissipate an additional 4W as heat. In that sense, the higher the difference between the input voltage, and the internal regulated voltage, the more heat the regulators dissipate.

I've seen @Superdad talk about this often, but I just referenced a recent post where he reiterates this point: 

Anyway, my point is that for regulated supplies, a higher input voltage does not result in any lower current, just more dissipated heat from the regulators.

Now, a more plausible explanation for the better SQ for the 12V Ultra could be that the regulators that SOtM used for the 12V version are sonically superior in design than what they used for the 6.5-9V version.

Still, all in all, we didn't find a noticeable difference here.

I'm well aware of the heat issue.  It's one of the reasons its difficult to replace certain switching regulators with linear ones in some components -- the heat dissipation is just too great.

Here's what SBooster has to say about using a low voltage vs high voltage PSU for the sMS-200 specifically with respect to SQ.  Seems like a difference of opinion.

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

To be clear, we also used the dCBL7 in the direct path only, not upstream of the Roon server. Did I give that impression? If so, apologies.

Thanks for clarifying!  It had never dawned on me to use 4 dCBL-CAT7s in the direct path.  

3 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

In that case, there will be a (niche) market for a little something then.

BTW, we could already tell what romaz's plan would look like once that digital amp from Chord is released in the future

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-42#post_12041809

Not quite 746W into 8Ω but there will be more choices for speakers.

Yes, absolutely, I have my sights set on this amp.

12 hours ago, romaz said:

Having attended numerous audio shows in the past year since moving to these speakers (including CES, AXPONA, RMAF, Newport, San Francisco, and most recently, Munich), I have had a chance to listen to many fine speaker setups from the likes of Magico, Focal, B&W, Wilson, Rockport, Boenicke, AudioNote UK, Voxativ, etc. and even in rooms that contained 7-figure setups, very few captivated me like my own system at home.  While my low power system is incapable of presenting Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture or Mahler's 8th in full scale like a pair of $180k Focal Grande Utopia EMs powered by a $200K pair of Naim Statement monoblock amplifiers, I found my system to exceed it in terms of fine detail, texture, delicacy and nuance.  Where many systems only sound their best played loud, my near field setup comes into its own at my preferred and much less fatiguing lower listening levels.  

The only speakers I have heard that have consistently piqued my interest have been the Voxativ 9.87s.  They are the creation of Holger Adler from Berlin and each time I have gone into the Voxativ room at these shows, I have often stayed for hours.  Well, I finally got a pair of Voxativs to evaluate in my system at home a few days ago and just as I feared, they blow my beloved Omegas away.  Not even close as far as resolution and transparency are concerned but what really sets them apart is this wonderful tonal richness and density that the Omegas are unable to convey.  I have yet to hear anything, regardless of price, that image as well as these speakers and at nearly 11 ohms of impedance and nearly 100dB efficiency, they are an easier load for my DAVE to drive directly and so the presentation is even more effortless and relaxed.

in my idea the only way to get good sound is going to high sensitivity loudspeakers. arthur salvatore  ( www.high-endaudio.com ) think like me about that.

music at first step should be dynamic and only high sensitive speakers could play micro dynamics.

i never listened living voice horn but it seems is very good.

audionote is good but 2way systems are limited.

Just to say I would like to offer continued kudos to those contributing to this thread, fascinating stuff so far and it looks like there will be many more gems of information to come.

I am following all this with a tentative aim of jumping in myself at some stage, but to be honest at the moment I am more than happy to be an interested observer in the short term to see what transpires.

I do have one thought that I would be interested to see if anyone has any comments on.  Currently I am using a microRendu to a Mutec MC3+USB.  However, I can easily imagine an upgrade to a 'clocking train', such as modified switch, sMS-200Ultra, maybe tX-USBUltra, and indeed the ultimate addition of the Mutec Ref10.  My question relates to my current Mutec MC3+USB.  I know the Mutec works well with my current 'DAC' (Devialet ADH), quite simply the Devialet sounds best to me via AES/EBU and the Mutec appears to have a great synergy when used with a Devialet.  Now, many of the 'clock chains' tested so far have used the Singxer SU1.  No criticism here, I understand the Singxer is a great device.  That said, it occurs to me that the Mutec MC3+USB might be a good choice in a set up including the Mutec REF10.  Indeed, the REF10, amongst other things, is specifically designed to provide the reference clock for a Mutec MC3+USB.  I know I am jumping ahead a little now as nobody has actually got there hands on a REF10 yet.  I guess I am just posting my current thoughts with respect to what I may or may not do later.  Any thoughts?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

A quick question for those of us who might be interested in triple stacking DACs for playing multi-channel DSD in addition DVD-Audio and downloads in multi-channel PCM, Ted started this thread a few years ago

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/14657-first-multi-channel-dsd-playback-solution-with-mytek/

A5QPu4d.jpg

So far we could count the number of multi-channel DSD DACs with both hands:

• EMM Labs DAC 6E
  • EMM Labs DAC8 MkIV
  • exaSound E28
  • exaSound E38
  • Merging Technology Hapi
  • Merging Technology Horus
  • Merging Technology NADAC MC-8
  • MSB Theater Master
  • Mytek trio
  • Oppo UDP-20x

(Most likely I'm still missing something like miniDSP U-DAC 8 and Smyth Research Realiser A16 but let's move on.)

Since SOtM already confirmed that multiple clocks with the same frequency could share the same output from sCLK-EX, what if we modify each and every clock of USB input chip that's found inside three identical DACs?

And then we've got the software side to take care of as well, Windows 10 RS2 (Creators Update) should have native support for UAC2 even though that might be hit or miss.

For the channel mapping, could JRiver Media Center be a good choice with Zones and Room Correction?

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Zones

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Room_Correction

AOv2QP9.png

7 hours ago, romaz said:

What remains a big curiosity in my mind is how the REF10 will alter all of this.  How the REF10 transformed the stock Mutec MC-3+USB in Munich continues to burn strong in my mind.  I was ready to accept that beautiful sound that I heard from that single upgrade and call it a day and this was using a plain Jane Mac laptop connected to the MC-3+USB via a modest USB cable.  No long string of trinkets.  The REF10 might show me that my replacement of 8 clocks will be serious overkill.

What about a Blu2, this remains to me a big curiosity, unless you heard something from Ref10 that elevate your curiosity of it more than Blu2. 

12 hours ago, austinpop said:

I can see the direct USB "team" breaking into cheers and high-fiving! :D These are awesome findings, Roy.

One question though - on nomenclature. Isn't the term AOIP typically used to refer to products like the Adnaco and the PS LanRover, which use IP to transport USB audio? I tend to consider the phrases "endpoint architecture" or NAA or renderer or streamer as more representative of the mR/sMS-200 approach.

But either way, very interesting results as usual!

Rajiv,

The Adnaco doesn't use IP at all.  It is extending PCIE serial connections over fiber and therefore uses pcie bridging and bus protocols.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

5 hours ago, romaz said:

Here's what SBooster has to say about using a low voltage vs high voltage PSU for the sMS-200 specifically with respect to SQ.  Seems like a difference of opinion.

Agreed. In practice, it seems to be a moot point, vis a vis SQ of the sMS-200ultra. 

May did send me another intersting explanation.

"When using 7V to the sCLK-EX,  one of constant voltage circuit is not in used, but when using 9V or 12V to the unit, the constant voltage circuit is used to block noise, so it effect sound. so we recommend using many users that there are sound differences when using 12V and 7V. But we always inform together that the sound or the sound differences can be made by the personal taste and by what system is used. So 12V power can’t be always the better, it could be differ from what system is or the personal taste."

Roy,

Currently, I've got the Adnaco on the back end with USB 3 nic and Uasp hard drive enclosure. Fast Sigma 11 - 12 volt lps powering the enclosure, with lps-1 powering the Adnaco USB box and USB circuits in hdd enclosure via vbus. Motherboard SATA and Ethernet controllers are disabled in bios. Second chain is Motherboard USB 2.0 port> uspcb> ISO REGEN(lps-1 7 volts)> uspcb > OTG adapter >microIDSD.

Have been experimenting with various configs with second uspcb in last two weeks. This config sounds best.  SQ is crazy real especially on live recordings, where it feels like you are in the venue. Depth, height and width are all very natural.  The density of the Adnaco image is retained but without false imaging so point source of sound is very focused. The speakers have vanished entirely.

Further tweaking from here feels pointless. It may be time to try a better DAC.

50 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Second chain is Motherboard USB 2.0 port> uspcb> ISO REGEN(lps-1 7 volts)> uspcb > OTG adapter >microIDSD.

Since that came with male instead of female USB input as shown below, even an OTG adapter didn't seem to affect the signal integrity of ISO REGEN's output very much:

iM-04.jpg

Was that OTG adapter bundled with microIDSD or is there anything special about it by any chance?

5 hours ago, Confused said:

Just to say I would like to offer continued kudos to those contributing to this thread, fascinating stuff so far and it looks like there will be many more gems of information to come.

I am following all this with a tentative aim of jumping in myself at some stage, but to be honest at the moment I am more than happy to be an interested observer in the short term to see what transpires.

I do have one thought that I would be interested to see if anyone has any comments on.  Currently I am using a microRendu to a Mutec MC3+USB.  However, I can easily imagine an upgrade to a 'clocking train', such as modified switch, sMS-200Ultra, maybe tX-USBUltra, and indeed the ultimate addition of the Mutec Ref10.  My question relates to my current Mutec MC3+USB.  I know the Mutec works well with my current 'DAC' (Devialet ADH), quite simply the Devialet sounds best to me via AES/EBU and the Mutec appears to have a great synergy when used with a Devialet.  Now, many of the 'clock chains' tested so far have used the Singxer SU1.  No criticism here, I understand the Singxer is a great device.  That said, it occurs to me that the Mutec MC3+USB might be a good choice in a set up including the Mutec REF10.  Indeed, the REF10, amongst other things, is specifically designed to provide the reference clock for a Mutec MC3+USB.  I know I am jumping ahead a little now as nobody has actually got there hands on a REF10 yet.  I guess I am just posting my current thoughts with respect to what I may or may not do later.  Any thoughts?

The financial industry has blockchains, so why can't we have clockchains? :D

I think most such questions can only be answered once the Ref 10 is in people's hands. However, we do have an early indicator from @hols's findings using his Cybershaft OCXO reference clock with his Ultra gear.

What our collective experience has shown is that the benefits of adding a great clock upstream of a DAC adds SQ. Moreover, chaining multiple (N) great clocks upstream continues to add SQ, although arguably the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

Now - what happens if our clock chain of N great clocks is also equipped with an input for a reference clock? Well, our expectation is that the entire clock chain will benefit from this reference. Moreover, since each sCLK-EX has 4 clock taps, then the potential exists for for us to elevate 4 clock points while consuming a single output of the Ref 10 or other reference clock.

Finally, to your point about the MC 3+ USB. By all accounts, it's an excellent DDC. But does it have a unique advantage with regard to the Ref 10? Compared to other components that are equipped with 10MHz ref clock inputs? I would think not. Nor would I expect there to be a special synergy with the Ref 10, rather than competing ref clocks from Cybershaft or SOtM in the future.

I cannot shake off the feeling that the first clock is most important one. This means for cloud content like Tidal the router should be the main target and for NAS content the clock closest to the NAS is where the main efforts should be made. I cannot imagine several clocks would make a difference for the better. One clock rules them all.

In my setup with Tidal as the only source the Aqvox switch-8 have the best clock and it made a truly great improvement. When @mozes used the same switch it did'nt improve much for his NAS content. Make sence to me to improve the first clock and just make sure that the remaining clocks is'nt too bad so it will fuck up the chain.

🎛️  Audio System  

10 hours ago, romaz said:

If you haven't figured out by now, I have a penchant for trying things and so I have had many things come through my house including speakers from B&W, Sonus Faber, KEF, Martin Logan, Totem and Trenner & Friedl just in the past 2 years.  The list of names is just as long with regards to subwoofers.

Nothing against the Paradigms but just not my cup of tea.  As I stated, at all the audio shows, I get to hear many things but I always find myself gravitating to the high-efficiency crossover-less widebanders that can be powered by 2-10 watt amps.  They just speak to me more.  In our home theater, we have a pair of Sonus Faber Cremonas powered by a 300W multichannel Classe amp and augmented by JL Audio subs.  They sound great...for movies, but given the choice, when listening to music for enjoyment, I find myself almost always gravitating to my near field setup.

I'm not against using other amplification having owned or demo'd a variety of tube and transistor amps and preamps over the years.  With SETs, I generally prefer the delicacy of smaller tubes (45s and especially 2A3s) as opposed to the larger tubes (300Bs, 845s, 211s).  With transistor amps, the 25W First Watt J2 by Nelson Pass is my favorite.  However, none of them can do what my Chord DAVE can do when powering speakers directly.  To borrow your own phrase, you might be surprised.

Similarly I've owned, still have or have auditioned most of those speakers. I recently went through a fun and lengthy speaker search. I had not been a fan of Paradigm in the past and I'm not that impressed with their other current lines, except the Personas. They are completely different. Very detailed, airy and dimensional. I'd like to hear your opinion of them if you ever get a chance. 

My multichannel system is similar. I tried using the JLs with my 2 channel but really need the CR-1 to do it well. My Personas have excellent bass, but I know to get those lower frequencies I'd need to run 2.1.

I believe the DAVE is probably one of the best DACs out there right now. I know it would surprise me, but I'm going to wait for Chord's next generation DAC.  The amp is intriguing but I'm more than happy with the AHB2. 

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

I cannot shake off the feeling that the first clock is most important one. This means for cloud content like Tidal the router should be the main target and for NAS content the clock closest to the NAS is where the main efforts should be made. I cannot imagine several clocks would make a difference for the better. One clock rules them all.

In my setup with Tidal as the only source the Aqvox switch-8 have the best clock and it made a truly great improvement. When @mozes used the same switch it did'nt improve much for his NAS content. Make sence to me to improve the first clock and just make sure that the remaining clocks is'nt too bad so it will fuck up the chain.

I am not so sure about that. I also own the Aqvox switch and like it quite much. But the Iso Regen gave a massive improvement in my chain despite that (more so than the Aqvox switch). Ordered a tX-USBUltra and one more LPS-1 today. And will get the V1.4 update for my MicroRendu (probably in august). Will see if many good clocks will make a difference.

My chain with bridged connection will be > Aqvox switch > MicroRendu V1.4 > USPCB > Iso Regen > USPCB > tX-USBUltra > JCAT USB cable > Chord Dave

I was first thinking about selling my MicroRendu and getting the SMS-200 Ultra instead of the tx-USBUltra but I haven´t done that for some reasons:

- it will be hard to sell the MicroRendu at a good price at the moment

- the tx-USBUltra is more flexible than the SMS-200 Ultra if I in the future should decide to go the USB-path

- I suppose the MicroRendu will give me a more meaty sound and it will be a good balance in the chain with the IR and the tx-USBUltra

At the same time I think it was a bit crazy to order the tx-USB Ultra with the LPS-1. After changing the sound filters in Audiophile optimizer to 1C to get more details, my chain with the Iso Regen already sounds fantastic. But you will get a bit crazy after reading the whole thread.

4 minutes ago, yellowblue said:

I am not so sure about that. I also own the Aqvox switch and like it quite much. But the Iso Regen gave a massive improvement in my chain despite that (more so than the Aqvox switch). Ordered a tX-USBUltra and one more LPS-1 today. And will get the V1.4 update for my MicroRendu (probably in august). Will see if many good clocks will make a difference.

My chain with bridged connection will be > Aqvox switch > MicroRendu V1.4 > USPCB > Iso Regen > USPCB > tX-USBUltra > JCAT USB cable > Chord Dave

I was first thinking about selling my MicroRendu and getting the SMS-200 Ultra instead of the tx-USBUltra but I haven´t done that for some reasons:

- it will be hard to sell the MicroRendu at a good price at the moment

- the tx-USBUltra is more flexible than the SMS-200 Ultra if I in the future should decide to go the USB-path

- I suppose the MicroRendu will give me a more meaty sound and it will be a good balance in the chain with the IR and the tx-USBUltra

At the same time I think it was a bit crazy to order the tx-USB Ultra with the LPS-1. After changing the sound filters in Audiophile optimizer to 1C to get more details, my chain with the Iso Regen already sounds fantastic. But you will get a bit crazy after reading the whole thread.

So, are you saying that you are playing only cloud content?

I am sure ISO Regen makes a great improvement, but are you sure it is due to the clock and not due to the GI or the USPCB?

🎛️  Audio System  

And just while I was writing this I get a notice that the ultraRendu is about to hit the market very soon. You never know if you do right...

@Cornan

I get some content via the SDcard of my "silent PC" and some via Tidal. One never know why the Iso Regen sounds so good. Because of the massive improvement I suppose it even has to do with its clock. I hope I will know more when I get the tx USBultra.

I get some content via the SDcard of my "silent PC" and some via Tidal. One never know why the Iso Regen sounds so good. Because of the massive improvement I suppose it even has to do with its clock. I hope I will know more when I get the tx USBultra.

IME you'll need a different approach to cloud content compared to local content. You just need to think about the origin of the music bits to realize that they'll need to be dealt with somewhat differently. I have been concentrating all my effort to maximize Tidal/Wimp content the last two years and two of the two best improvements came from powering the router with a floating LPS and powering the AQVOX switch with battery power. This is not what you would expect to happen with SDcard or NAS content.

🎛️  Audio System  

I am having some trouble trying this direct connection method.  I am trying to use router > macbook pro wifi bridge to an Apple thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter > sms-200.

I tried to bridge wifi to ethernet but only the internet works.  I am not able to connect to the sms-200.  having both not bridge and sharing wifi to the sms-200 with manual ip settings.  I am able to connect to the internet and get the eunhasu.local page but HQplayer NAA wont see the sms-200.

Is this method not possible and I should just buy another Apple TB > ethernet adapter?

22 minutes ago, Cornan said:

IME you'll need a different approach to cloud content compared to local content. You just need to think about the origin of the music bits to realize that they'll need to be dealt with somewhat differently. I have been concentrating all my effort to maximize Tidal/Wimp content the last two years and two of the two best improvements came from powering the router with a floating LPS and powering the AQVOX switch with battery power. This is not what you would expect to happen with SDcard or NAS content.

Forget internet streaming.  You can't control the first or last mile.  Once in your home, yeah, too late.  Obviously do the best possible.  That means trying to correct the damage.  Guess not much different than working with the current mobos, soon someday hopefully we get an audiophile mobo that will  make all these reclocking devices mute. 

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

4 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Since that came with male instead of female USB input as shown below, even an OTG adapter didn't seem to affect the signal integrity of ISO REGEN's output very much:

iM-04.jpg

Was that OTG adapter bundled with microIDSD or is there anything special about it by any chance?

Unfortunately the bundled OTG adapter exploded into pieces in my hand one day. So, I bought several beige colored adapters from Amazon that sound slightly better to me.