IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

3 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Well played, sir, well played! How did you get SOtM to agree to this?

I asked if they had plans for a new DDC in the near future which would include an IIS-LVDS connection and support DSD to at least 256.  My main point to them was I need a solution which will let me use a master clock on all devices in the chain.

They agreed to the DAC first and then agreed to the Singxer in the next email exchange.

I'm happy they included the Singxer even though it isn't needed in my current setup it will be a factor in planned upgrades.  It will be interesting to test further combinations in the SoTM chain.

SOtM sMS-200ultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

SOtM tX-USBultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

1 minute ago, BigAlMc said:

Nice work! +1 on can't wait to get your impressions on the modded SU-1. 

Do you have or are you getting an SMS-200 or SMS-200ultra as part of this bold venture? 

I'm not sure how long this takes but hopefully I will be able to give you some feedback in 2 or 3 weeks.

I have a SMS-200ultra and am getting that fitted with the switch upgrade and a 75Ω Master Clock connection also.

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

14 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Well played, sir, well played! How did you get SOtM to agree to this?

I'll be following this experiment with great interest. 

Wow, I asked the same a month ago and they refused. Perhaps they have changed their mind about it.

How much did they quote for the SU-1?

6 minutes ago, Bamber said:

SoTM have agreed to fit sCLK-EXs to my Wyred 4 DAC2v2 SE

Your DAC already has a femto clock in it.  How can you be sure the SOtM clock is going to be better, or that the design of the DAC-2V2 SE will work well with it?  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 minutes ago, Bamber said:

I asked if they had plans for a new DDC in the near future which would include an IIS-LVDS connection and support DSD to at least 256.  My main point to them was I need a solution which will let me use a master clock on all devices in the chain.

They agreed to the DAC first and then agreed to the Singxer in the next email exchange.

I'm happy they included the Singxer even though it isn't needed in my current setup it will be a factor in planned upgrades.  It will be interesting to test further combinations in the SoTM chain.

Assuming you'll get sCLK-EX boards in each of the Singxer and the W4S DAC? Or share somehow?

While you're at it, I strongly recommend adding the switch upstream of the sMS-200ultra. I cannot overemphasize the huge bang-for-buck. Does your sMS-200ultra already have the 2 free clock taps exposed as SMB outputs on the back? If not, you will have to send it back to them to add, but well, well worth it.

1 minute ago, Bamber said:

I'm not sure how long this takes but hopefully I will be able to give you some feedback in 2 or 3 weeks.

I have a SMS-200ultra and am getting that fitted with the switch upgrade and a 75Ω Master Clock connection also.

Going "all in" Bamber. Kudos mate! 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

7 minutes ago, rickca said:

How can you be sure the SOtM clock is going to be better,

I can't know for certain but we won't know until someone tries.  I'm happy to do this with a £3500 DAC but wouldn't dare do it with a Chord Dave or the likes :)  I also want to use the Master Clock with all devices.

2 minutes ago, Bamber said:

Hah, looks like you thought of this already!

So your chain will look like this?

Switch (sCLK mod) > sMS-200ultra > tX-USBultra >SU-1 Ultra > W4S DAC Ultra

Mutec Ref 10 reference clock -----> sMS-200ultra

|---------------------------------------> tX-USBultra

|---------------------------------------> SU-1 Ultra

|---------------------------------------> W4S DAC Ultra

Way to go all in!

1 minute ago, austinpop said:

Assuming you'll get sCLK-EX boards in each of the Singxer and the W4S DAC? Or share somehow?

While you're at it, I strongly recommend adding the switch upstream of the sMS-200ultra. I cannot overemphasize the huge bang-for-buck. Does your sMS-200ultra already have the 2 free clock taps exposed as SMB outputs on the back? If not, you will have to send it back to them to add, but well, well worth it.

I'm getting sCLK-EX boards in each so I can maintain flexibility.

i will be sending the sMS-200ultra to get the switch mod at the same time and also have a Master clock connector fitted.  I purchased the sMS-200ultra from a different dealer to where I purchased the tX-USBultra and the first dealer didn't have this option listed at the time of ordering.

3 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Way to go all in!

I had planned to upgrade my home cinema projector but changed my mind because I'm so impressed with the SoTM ultra devices.

18 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

Wow, I asked the same a month ago and they refused. Perhaps they have changed their mind about it.

They said no to me before too.

12 minutes ago, austinpop said:

So your chain will look like this?

Switch (sCLK mod) > sMS-200ultra > tX-USBultra >SU-1 Ultra > W4S DAC Ultra

Depending on how testing goes the Singxer may be included in this chain or used in my second system.

25 minutes ago, Bamber said:

I'm getting sCLK-EX boards in each so I can maintain flexibility.

That explains why SOtM agreed to mod your SU-1 and W4S.  It not merely tapping from the tX or the sMS.  That will end up with a lot of unused clocks to spare.

18 minutes ago, Bamber said:

Depending on how testing goes the Singxer may be included in this chain or used in my second system.

So you don't currently use SU-1 I2S into your DAC-2V2 SE?  This is the combination that had an incompatibility issue.  In any case, if you were to use I2S, it wouldn't make sense to upgrade the clock in the DAC-2V2 SE if I understand this correctly.  None of this is meant as criticism, I'm just trying to follow all this stuff with my jaw on the floor.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

6 minutes ago, TopQuark said:

That will end up with a lot of unused clocks to spare.

The tX-USBultra will have 3.

The other devices will only have a max of 1 spare each.  I haven't listed all the options I have requested until everything is agreed with SoTM.

14 minutes ago, rickca said:

So you don't currently use SU-1 I2S into your DAC-2V2 SE?  This is the combination that had an incompatibility issue.  In any case, if you were to use I2S, it wouldn't make sense to upgrade the clock in the DAC-2V2 SE if I understand this correctly.  None of this is meant as criticism, I'm just trying to follow all this stuff with my jaw on the floor.

I'm purchasing the SU-1 directly from Singxer (Leter) with the W4S firmware and capacitor already fitted.

The way I understand it is that the SU-1 clock will be used for I2S to the W4S DAC.  The W4S DAC clock would be used for USB, AES, Toslink and SPDIF.  In any event the SU-1 will only be used for testing in this chain unless the I2S connection is an improvement on the USB connection.

6 minutes ago, Bamber said:

I'm purchasing the SU-1 directly from Singxer (Leter) with the W4S firmware and capacitor already fitted.

The way I understand it is that the SU-1 clock will be used for I2S to the W4S DAC.  The W4S DAC clock would be used for USB, AES, Toslink and SPDIF.  In any event the SU-1 will only be used for testing in this chain unless the I2S connection is an improvement on the USB connection.

OK thanks for the explanation.  You will have a lot of configuration flexibility.

1 hour ago, rickca said:

OK thanks for the explanation.  You will have a lot of configuration flexibility.

SoTM think there are at least 3 clocks in the W4S DAC2v2 SE and there could be more.  They won't know until it arrives with them, hopefully they won't find more than 4. 

Just wondering - with all these improvements advanced by Romaz and others in this thread - have any of you noticed a change in the importance of the USB cable?  Has direct mode and use of better clocks lessened or increased the importance of proper USB cable selection?

I've been looking forward to UpTone allowing the purchase of individual USPCBs.  I'm eager to hear what happens when I can eliminate my USB cable.  I intend to try microRendu > USPCB > ISO REGEN > USPCB > Hugo TT.  My USB cable is the Audience Au24, which I preferred to a few other well regarded cables at and above its price.  It'll be interesting to hear what happens when I substitute the USPCB for the Au24.

The full SOtM stack requires adding another USB cable.  So far I think I've seen only one report, from Roy (I think), where I believe he mentioned that the USB cable entering his DAC mattered more than the other.  His DAVE is said to be relatively insensitive to USB cables compared to most other DACs, so I'm wondering what others have discovered.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

13 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

Just wondering - with all these improvements advanced by Romaz and others in this thread - have any of you noticed a change in the importance of the USB cable?

I'm using the Curious Cables Regen links between my SoTM devices.  I don't have any fancy USB cables, I have 2 Furutech GT2s which didn't sound good compared to the Curious Cables Regen links.

That's one plus with the SoTM boxes, the small size make it easy to use very short cable lengths.  I will eventually try the UpTone USPCB after all the positive reviews.

24 minutes ago, Bamber said:

I'm using the Curious Cables Regen links between my SoTM devices.  I don't have any fancy USB cables, I have 2 Furutech GT2s which didn't sound good compared to the Curious Cables Regen links.

The Curious Cables are a heck of a value and embarras many higher priced cables.  

I had actually hoped that the Regen link would allow me to sell off the Audience USB when I got the microRendu as I could get by with a shorter cable.  The Audience brought enough of an improvement that I couldn't allow myself to part with it.  A lot has changed since then so I wonder if that would still be the case.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

On 6/27/2017 at 9:45 AM, hols said:

I would like to share my experience with the SOtM ts-USB Ultra with 10M reference clock input which has arrived a week ago.

Thanks, Hols,  This post was extremely valuable and has given me encouragement that moving forward with the REF10 will pay large dividends.  At this point, I don't know just how good the clock in the sCLK-EX is nor is it that relevant to me anymore since I intend only to use this clock board as a vehicle to implement the REF10.  To be able to bring REF10 level performance to 8 components while only using 2 clock outputs still boggles my mind.

Of note, the REF10 has two 50-ohm outputs and six 75-ohm outputs, a seemingly large number of outputs.  Whether you use the 50-ohm or 75-ohm outputs should make no difference to SQ, according to Christian Peters of Mutec, however, there are other factors to consider.  With really short clock cables that are no more than 15-20cm in length, the quality of the clock cable probably doesn't matter as much but even beyond just 20cm, according to Lee of SOtM, it becomes easy to hear SQ deteriorate and it continues to deteriorate the longer the cable gets.  This is where the quality of the cable becomes more and more important.  

Of interest, the SMB-terminated clock cables from DigiKey that May guided me to are made of silver-plated alloy of uncertain purity or quality.  For the $20-30 that these cables are selling for, once you get to 50cm of length, for example, I wonder what you are losing?  I say this because the 50cm Habst clock cable that Mutec had on hand in Munich was much more heavily shielded and came with a separate ground lead that occupies its own clock output from the REF10.   What is telling is that Habst's 50cm length clock cable that is made of cryo'd 5N silver runs $800. Shunyata makes clock cables also and their very best Sigma clock cable (50 or 75 ohms) sells for $2k.  Yes, there's big markup here but BOM is definitely going to be more than $30 and so you have to wonder what is being lost with the cheap DigiKey clock cables and so I have purchased a 50cm DigiKey clock cable and will compare against my 50cm Habst clock cable once it arrives.

16 minutes ago, romaz said:

I expect a considerable break-in period.  I say this because a good friend who is also a reviewer had recently purchased his own tX-USBultra and upon receiving it, he marveled at how harsh and flat it sounded relative to the broken-in review unit SOtM had sent him (which he still has in his possession).  He said the A/B was very obvious.  With more time on his new tX-USBultra, the harshness is diminishing and depth and air are improving.  

I have found the same Romaz, when I first received my SoTM devices I was impressed with the detail but wasn't enjoying the cold harsh sound.  I blamed this on my low end power supplies but after 4 days there was a big change.

I also have to confess when I first read your thread I wasn't convinced about your reports that an upgraded switch and super clocks could make a difference worth the considerable cost.  Audio is well down my hobby list but what I've heard so far has encouraged me to invest a little bit more on the Romaz chain :)  Thank you and others for taking the time to post here,  I'm enjoying the findings in this thread.