IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Since we are in the "network bridge" post 9_9, how about the sMS-200Ultra in bridge mode versus the sMS-200Ultra connected to the modded switch ?

What I like in the modded switch is that in my set-up I could also connect my HTPC to it and get some benefits but on the other hand I've been trying to reduce the number of boxes and just got rid of my optical network :$

TANNOY Definition DC8T / STELLO Ai700 / AYRE QB-9 DSD / SOtM sMS-200 Ultra / QNAP HS-251+ / Triode Wire Labs

6 minutes ago, guillaume31 said:

Since we are in the "network bridge" post 9_9, how about the sMS-200Ultra in bridge mode versus the sMS-200Ultra connected to the modded switch ?

What I like in the modded switch is that in my set-up I could also connect my HTPC to it and get some benefits but on the other hand I've been trying to reduce the number of boxes and just got rid of my optical network :$

I am using the sms200Ultra in bridged mode, meaning directly connected to my PC server via ethernet. But apparently adding a modded switch in between (also a kind of bridged mode, but going through the switch) is the way to yield the best results.

This particular switch is a tried and true one, piece of cake to get rid of the SMPS but most likely it does require 12V PSU from either Paul Hynes or Vinnie Rossi.

It's already tested by Kenneth Lau and other audiophiles here in Hong Kong since it's a switch designed for network audio in the first place

http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=94358

7EOISUc.jpg

http://kakaku.com/item/K0000595626/

http://www.yamada-denkiweb.com/4211142016

http://buffalo.jp/product/wired-lan/lan-hub/bsl-ws-g21m_a/

http://product.rakuten.co.jp/product/-/de1a0cdab98c89fca65e579bc8968c5a/

https://www.amazon.co.jp/BUFFALO-Giga対応-オーディオ向けスイッチングHub-BSL-WS-G2108M-A/dp/B00GNM2P70

It might (or might not) draw more than 12 watts (i.e. 12V 1A) so we couldn't tell if one LPS-1 @ 5V plus another LPS-1 @ 7V were any good.

Lowest price in Japan should be roughly $275 at the moment, the clock could be replaced easily as shown below

j1JhooR.jpg

Not exactly the cheapest choice but it should be the most promising one out there for now.

5 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

This particular switch is a tried and true one, piece of cake to get rid of the SMPS but most likely it does require 12V PSU from either Paul Hynes or Vinnie Rossi.

It's already tested by Kenneth Lau and other audiophiles here in Hong Kong since it's a switch designed for network audio in the first place

http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=94358

7EOISUc.jpg

http://kakaku.com/item/K0000595626/

http://www.yamada-denkiweb.com/4211142016

http://buffalo.jp/product/wired-lan/lan-hub/bsl-ws-g21m_a/

http://product.rakuten.co.jp/product/-/de1a0cdab98c89fca65e579bc8968c5a/

https://www.amazon.co.jp/BUFFALO-Giga対応-オーディオ向けスイッチングHub-BSL-WS-G2108M-A/dp/B00GNM2P70

It might (or might not) draw more than 12 watts (i.e. 12V 1A) so we couldn't tell if one LPS-1 @ 5V plus another LPS-1 @ 7V were any good.

Lowest price in Japan should be roughly $275 at the moment, the clock could be replaced easily as shown below

j1JhooR.jpg

Not exactly the cheapest choice but it should be the most promising one out there for now.

I am still more inclined to get a cheaper option, have SOTM mod it, and then power it with a good external linear PSU.

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

2-day Ultra-vaganza Report

@austinpop / @limniscate - Epic work gents! Sounds like a brilliant weekend of fun and audio discovery.

A few selfish items jump off the page from me (although a lot to digest in there).

A. As a proud owner of an SU-1 modded for LPS-1 my wallet breathes a sigh of relief that this bit of kit comes out so well in these tests.

B. My wallet is slightly more apprehensive when it comes to the prospect of a modded Switch, sCLK-EX & SMS-200(ultra?) kicking my MicroRendu and bog standard switch's asses.

Question. In either your lawyer or scientist capacities ;) do you feel that the switch/SMS combo in B upstream of the SU-1 still add sufficient SQ improvement to justify adding these? My SU-1 outputs I2S to my Directstream DAC so I'm tempted by these improvements but worried they'd get diminished as it's not USB going into the DAC.

I guess the other aspect I need to fully figure out is whether it's feasible (and viable in terms of finding someone to do it) to also replace the clock on the SU-1 with the sCLK-EX clock.

My wallet starts sweating nervously at this stage because if I could get the BigAlMc 'trifecta' of switch, SMS-200 & SU-1 all sharing the sCLK-EX clock then the case for adding a Ref 10 seems a lot stronger! (Rajiv - I hope I haven't infringed upon your 'trifecta' copyright here. Perhaps you can ask Eric as the lawyer :D).

Thanks again for such great posts and inspiration here.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

3 hours ago, hols said:

Yes , I am using it already.

Hi hols, by using a fresh ISO Regen your comparison seems premature to me.  Break-in time for components containing clocks is significant and SQ changes as the parts stabilize. I am also finding the USPCB changes dramatically as it breaks-in, taking much longer then a normal cable.

I'd like to hear the results of your comparison after more time has passed.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

As I also have the Singxer SU-1 (awaiting delivery of the Holo Spring lvl3 DAC), I am looking to get the Kitsune DC conversion kit for the Singxer, but Kitsune has some reservations regarding shipping the thing outside of USA for some reason (or perhaps I got the wrong picture when I contacted Tim, but in our email correspondence he said they don't do international shipping to every country).

Anyways, is anyone in the USA willing to buy the thing and then resell it to me (ship it to Europe) and earn a few bucks for the hassle?

24 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

I already asked SOTM about modding the SU-1 and they said no.

Thanks. Yeah I guessed that SOTM might be reluctant as Romaz mentioned they won't modify anyone elses products.

I wondered about contacting Tim at Kitsune given they already offer a modded version of the SU-1 to see if this was something they might consider. I assume that the clock mod would be a bit more challenging that replacing the caps and power supply though.

Other option is wait for the SU-2 (not sure if that's the name or not - but rumoured replacement of the SU-1) to see what that brings to the table.

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

1 hour ago, AmusedToD said:

I already asked SOTM about modding the SU-1 and they said no.

I got the same response a few months ago.

I’m willing to purchase a SoTM sCLK-EX and a Singxer SU-1 if we can find someone in the UK with the skills to fit it.  I will also email Leter at Singxer to see if he will fit one.

SOtM sMS-200ultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

SOtM tX-USBultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

I did have a few questions for you austinpop.....   However, reading this you have answered more questions than I even knew I had.  Great stuff!

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

11 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

1. Mod to accept DC power cable from LPS-1  (I've done this via the Kitsune kit and it really makes a big difference)

This is the only upgrade I could perform and will leave the others to an expert :)

13 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

PM me if you find anyone. I'll do likewise.

Will do, thanks BigAlMc

I might even have them swap the Crystek on an ISO Regen.  It would be interesting to have all the options capable of using the Mutec Ref 10.

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

Somebody who knows if it is possible to order the SOtM tX-USBultra with upgrade path (reclocked switch)? I just can see the upgrade path for the sMS-200ultra. My plan is to upgrade my mRendu (when the upgrade becomes available) and to go with reclocked switch>mRendu>Iso Regen>SOtM tX-USBultra.

6 hours ago, austinpop said:

@austinpop @limniscate Fantastic off-the-scale posting, thanks for all the work and sharing your results. It's getting hard to keep up! :0

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

6 hours ago, austinpop said:
  • Once again, a component is more that just the clock. Clearly, DDCs are not created equal, and the SU-1 shines.
  • I was really impressed with the SU-1. 

Think how interesting this will be when John's new DCC will be available ???

(...that is if he is doing one...)

2 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

I wondered about contacting Tim at Kitsune given they already offer a modded version of the SU-1 to see if this was something they might consider.

I've asked him some time ago, and the answer was very negativ. 

I think you will have to ask Singxer.

Actually I've asked Ghent if he could do a deal with them ?

7 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I think you will have to ask Singxer.

Actually I've asked Ghent if he could do a deal with them

I've emailed Leter, if he can't help I may ask Ghent.