IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 29-8-2017 at 1:20 AM, simonklp said:

Let's look forward to hearing others, who are using HQPlayer and have deployed sCLK-EX based Ultra chains or similar, to share their experiences.

HQP is very good as an engine processing Roon output without upsampling/converting. Give it a try using 'none, none, auto, auto' as settings. In my system this is much better than straight Roon. 

Pink Faun Streamer —>  Pink Faun DAC --> Ayre AX5 --> Paradigm S8 

5 minutes ago, m3lraaHnevetS said:

HQP is very good as an engine processing Roon output without upsampling/converting. Give it a try using 'none, none, auto, auto' as settings. In my system this is much better than straight Roon. 

Re the chain, I am about to receive an Ultrarendu, Isoregen and lps-1. already have some other stuff like the sonore signature power supply, Jcat femto and hdplex 100watt lps. I will be testing some configs, including powering switch/nas/router in the coming weeks and will report back if I feel like it. 

12 hours ago, austinpop said:

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I remember the steps, and with Larry's and your tips, I should be able to figure it out.

The Signalyst site seems to be down at the moment. I'll see if I can pull down another trial.

While you're at it also try processing your Roon output through HQP without any upsampling (none, none, auto, auto) 

I my systems this sounds better than straight Roon and also better than any upsampling! go figure...This is of course very system/ears specific.

On 8/23/2018 at 5:01 PM, Johnseye said:

When used as an NAA, does the endpoint do the upsampling?  IIRC it does not but want to make sure.

Are you using Audiolinux?  I just installed it on my server.  The Optane drive is giving me some trouble at post.  I can't use it as memory with Linux either.  I may just pull it out for the moment.

Are you running HQPlayer desktop or embedded?  I just posted a question in the Software forum HQPlayer Linux thread and am wondering if there's a SQ benefit to running embedded.  Since my HQPlayer license is for Windows I'll need to buy another, and am wondering if I should license for both Linux desktop and embedded.

once you have settled on the hardware it's best to buy the embedded license and have audiolinux start in command line mode so there is no gui and then use an other computer or tablet to manage hqp embedded through the web-interface   

1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

Unless you use Roon, which is what I do.  I'd be interested in knowing whether embedded has any benefit over desktop for SQ.

not sure...I went from win10 running HQP desktop to Audiolinux running embedded, and that made a big difference but most of this improvement was probably due to Linux...

running HQP desktop on Audiolinux does not degrade the sound noticeably at normal listening level in my current system. but logic tells me that running gui-less helps to reduce load and that is a good thing. So even while I do not hear a big difference today I will still go for embedded.

14 hours ago, flkin said:

I've always found HQP to sound better than Roon but recently that's changed. 

I believe believe once you reach a certain level, touching the digital signal as little as possible is better than manipulating it for whatever the reason.

Roon/Raat is now exceeding HQP for me.

It's system dependent. 

well inspired by your remark I did a little test and took out both Roon and HQP and went straight Tidal into Sonicorbiter (in MPD/DLNA mode using Linn Kazoo as Ipad app) on my Sonore Signature Rendu SE...and...It sounds much better (to me in my system) then the Tidal/Roon/HQP routine I got used to...I'll be damned 

Thank you for making me think about and test this again!

this might mean my Roon lifetime and HQPe licenses are rendered useless but who cares is the music sounds better...

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, lmitche said:

While I am at it, is there a preferred tidal app for Linux if any? If so that test may make sense as well.

On Sonore's Sonicorbiter OS you can use MPD to stream Tidal while using Kazoo for (remote) control.

@vortecjr might give you a hint on how to manage a similar thing in AL.

To me this setup (MPD mode on Rendu SE streaming Tidal) sounds better then Roon and HQPe on AL on a modded 6700K with the Rendu in NAA mode.

So indeed straight Tidal streaming should be on your list. you could of course go kiss by using the Tidal webplayer in AL desktop...

On 3/22/2019 at 9:47 PM, austinpop said:

Also, while I am on the topic of cables and power, I forgot to mention how the JCAT Net Card Femto was being powered. I'm using the 5V XLR output from the HDPlex. In his experiments, Roy found a big improvement stepping up to an SR-4, but I don't have one to spare. Unfortunately, the card needs 2A, so exceeds the capacity of the LPS-1.2.

FYI JCAT Net Card Femto can be powered with a LPS-1 as long as you use just one port on the JCAT.

And...using just one port gives the best SQ IMHO

• 3 weeks later...