IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 3/13/2020 at 7:36 AM, guiltyboxswapper said:

@Johnseye they sound better, more dynamic, and the planet variants less mechanical.  Tried multi mode TPs that came with Sonore equipment with multi mode cable... back in the box they went.

I ordered single mode SFP modules and OS2 cable. The SFP modules showed up yesterday. I swapped them for the ones that came with the EtherRegen and opticalRendu. I agree with you that, among other things, dynamics have improved significantly. A nice improvement to add to what the EtherRegen has already. done to my system.

I’m still using the old multi mode fiber (the OS2 should arrive next week). I’m surprised it even works. Presumably the single mode cable will improve things a little more? Or is it even necessary?

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Oh well. I bought 5m of OS2 cable. Just enough to allow nice straight lines, with no coils. Guess I’ll have to order attenuators.

I jumped the gun and ordered the same modules as Rajiv (StarTech SFP1000ZXST) before seeing the posts on those not being the best. However, they still sound significantly better than the multimode SFPs that came with the EtherRegen and opticalModule. 

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

Small correction: The EtherREGEN does not ship with any SFP transceiver, nor does UpTone sell any SFP modules. Everyone is free to roll their own. B|

Sorry. My mistake. I had forgotten that in all my experimenting. 😉

7 hours ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Not best for ER, certainly much improved on oM+oR but found the planet variants sounded less mechanical with the oM+oR too.

What model would you recommend? Thanks. 

9 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Anyone else powered their DSL router using a linear power supply?  I am also wondering what effect it might have if it's so far downstream...  

I have, and would certainly recommend it. I use a JS-2. I suspect the improvement is mostly due to having less noise put back on the AC line by the SMPS.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, ray-dude said:

I have to concur on the gap between Roon and other players.  I am still waiting for the beta of Taiko Audio Server, but based on what I'm hearing as possible with players like Euphony Stylus or HQPlayer direct (no Roon), there is a pretty massive benefit to be had over Roon.  With Roon's focus on every more features and orchestration across multiple rooms and devices, this will only get worse (I suspect it is the network chattiness of Roon that has been at the core of the SQ degradation).  

I was planning to use Roon playing to HQPlayer Embedded on a SonicTransporter, to get the best of both worlds. Are you saying HQPlayer without Roon sounds better?