IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Hello Hols,

That was a while back. I had forgotten about the two old SR9 power supplies I custom designed and built for the Trinity and 10M. I just recently allotted the designation SR9 to a design under discussion with Roy (Romaz), without realising I had already used it once before for your custom power supplies. Woops!

For clarity, these two SR9 power supplies were totally different to the current SR5 and SR7 type power supplies I currently provide. They used one of my older shunt regulator topologies with a back biasing current source that reduced the standing current after the 10M start-up surge. I only made two of these SR9 and they are in no way comparable to the SR5 and SR7 power supplies or my current shunt regulator circuit topologies regarding performance.

The following is a general statement regarding equipment comparisons and not aimed at you, Hols. For the record, over the years, I have noticed references to power supply comparisons using my power supplies. They usually state “the Paul Hynes Power supply”. Well which one? I have a very wide range of power supply options, so a vague comparison like “the Paul Hynes Power supply” is absolutely meaningless as there is no specific power supply reference. Also, many of my power supplies have had multiple performance improvements as time goes by, so older Paul Hynes power supply versions compared to current competing power supplies are once again rather meaningless. The marketing boys often use this vague statement presentation to give the impression their products are better than their competitors. If you are going to do a comparison with my power supplies (or other manufacturers products whether or not they are power supply related) make it current and specific like Roy has recently done in this thread.

Regards

Paul

Paul Hynes Design

Design and manufacture of high performance power supplies

• 2 months later...

Imitche,

No need to be embarrassed. You are moving in the right direction with your power supply applications. How many signal processing stages do you have in your system? That’s the number of power supplies you are going to need.

One of my old customers has taken this to the extreme using one of my SR1M shunt voltage regulator modules for each stage in his system, each with its own LIPO battery as power source. He also has a lot of battery chargers. He now lives in Singapore. I hope he has a large listening room and good air conditioning to keep the room cool.

Austinpop,

Nice choice of music for your listening test. I have the first Proprius Jazz at the Pawnshop recording on vinyl and CD. It is one of my test records of choice for testing vinyl equipment. There is tremendous presence and dynamic scale in this recording.

Str-1,

There are several cancelled order SR7 power supplies available that may be suitable for the applications you were considering. E-mail me and I will endeavour to help if possible.

Regards

Paul

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Sunny,

I am afraid you are many years out of date with Gavin’s old dual rail custom built SR7 serial number 28 (18v 2A and 9v 2A). Gavin purchased this second hand from one of my old customers. If you are comparing this old SR7 to your own power supplies, and finding them equivalent in sound quality, you still have much work to do on your own power supplies.

Much has changed since this SR7 serial no 28 was made with the early PR3 regulator boards. The latest boards used in the SR7 (and the SR5) have several circuit improvements, some component changes to improve the audible performance plus increased energy storage capacitance and the new Turbo upgrade (substantial) as well as electronic shutdown in the event of overload or excessive temperature. Not to mention the new SR7 chassis configuration with improved thermal capacity allowing the use of two 12v 16A supply rails.

Regards

Paul