IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Is it better to have a 16GB ram than 8GB for AL NUC? This up squared fanless system seems like a screaming deal for NUC use.

https://up-shop.org/home/258-up-squared-edge-system-powered-by-intel-x7-e3950-soc-8gb-ram-64gb-emmc.html

It comes with:

* Intel ATOM Quad Core up to 2.0GHz x7-E3950

* 8 GB RAM

* 2x GB Ethernet (Is that the ideal for direct connection to upstream server?)

*64GB eMMC Storage (Is there any point of eMMC storage if someone is booting from AudioLinux on USB?)

The price seems very reasonable at $399. Anyone tried this as NUC with AL?

Also, another question/observation regarding AL on NUC:

The recent experiments suggest that AL on NUC as a streamer/endpoint is a screaming value beating out fully tricked out SoTM tri-fecta and similar devices. However, is there any intrinsic benefit of using a dedicated NUC + AL (or any other computer for that matter) for streaming/Roon endpoint instead of relying on a fully tricked out one single server (linear PSU + sCLK-EX modified mobo+USB PCIE) direct connection (with or without SoTM USBUltra) to DAC usb input?

I understand that a big benefit of isolated NUC is that your upstream computer can be noisey or less than perfect. When someone is building a dedicated fanless music server with proper PSU/clocking/audio grade USB PCIE - is there any benefit of using a streaming NUC+AL?

It'll also be interesting to see in a single server situation using AudioLinux and compare to Windows Server 2016 + Audiophile Optimizer.

15 minutes ago, Dev said:

Yes, the NUC8i7BEH model.

I don't think lps-1.2 can power that model. For now I will use the supplied smps but need to figure out a good lps. Will use this on the server end and experiment with Roon/HQP/LMS, whichever sounds better in my setup and report back. For my use case, the NUC needs to do at least dsd256 and be stable and run cool. Will see.

Curious if you have a fanless case for the NUC8. If not, fan can have some negative impact on sound quality by creating ripples (even when the fan is not audible). However, the point is moot if you are using another NUC to stream.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently won an ebay auction on NUC7i7DNBE in a Akasa case with 16GB ram for a great price. What a timely thing to do!

@austinpop As always, thank you for sharing your impression with us. Is it possible to discuss the best way to connect upstream server and NUC/AL endpoint? For example, @lmitche found wifi to have the best sound quality? Others have mentioned a OCXO switch by TLS. Any comparison of such solutions with AL/NUC as the endpoint will be very helpful.

I'll also be curious to hear NUC server and AL/NUC endpoint comparison with sCLK-EX'd server and AL/NUC endpoint. 

21 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Endpoint NUC

Average to good CPU like the Celeron in NUC7CJYH - better is fine but will cost more

4GB to 8GB RAM - more is fine but will increase power usage

No SSD as will add noise 

More Cores and more CPU cache should sound better

Low power usage is better especially if you want to use an LPS1.2 on 12v or similar

I believe it has been found that i7 NUC also sounds better as an endpoint

• 1 month later...

@austinpop Did you get a chance to listen to your clock modified NUC + USBUltra + SoTM Switch without the master clock input from Mutec? I was wondering, if I should send my NUC and USBUltra to SoTM, should I get the master clock mod. Given the price of a Mutec and good digital cable is $5k, I wonder how significant it is to have it in the chain. 

3 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Audio Sensibility has their own wire, described below.

@auricgoldfinger Did you order the wire from Audio Sensibility and did the mod yourself or had to send the txUSB-Ultra to them to have it done? I'm planning to send my Ultra to SoTM to do the evox cap upgrade. I wish they had the Audio Sensibility wire to do the upgrade.

I've used Audio Sensibility interconnect in the past. They are great cables for a reasonable price.

15 hours ago, romaz said:

I'll venture a guess.  Your optimized server is better than your unoptimized NUC.

That seems to be the case. When You/Rajiv and others reported the finding in regards to NUC, it was mind blowing. Mostly because, how can an-off-the shelf hardwire can sound better than purpose built music server. The fact that NUC without any modification holds up so well to a purpose built music server is astounding.

Put something like an SR7 or the TLS Reference 1 to the NUC and you may change your mind about the NUC sounding thin.

I wish I had spare PSU lying around to test these scenarios. It would have been very educational. I've no doubt the NUC would scale really well with great power supplies like that. 

Also, if you're using an independently powered SOtM PCIe USB card in your server, this is obviously giving your server an edge over your unmodified NUC.  Try connecting your server to your DAC using one of standard integrated USB ports on your motherboard and the delta that you hear might give you some idea of how much better your NUC could sound once you send it to SOtM for clock replacement.

I've used my motherboards standard integrated USB port and the sound is frankly unlistenable. Goes to show, how good the USB output of the NUC is. However, not sure if the clock improvement is the only thing to close the delta. As the SoTM USB PCI-E has other things like filters and special voltage regulators. 

As for WS2016 + AO sounding thicker, fuller and weightier than AL, the easiest way to find out in your system is just to boot your server into AL using a USB stick and compare.  They both can be tuned to sound fuller or leaner.  Regarding Euphony vs AL, yes, to my ears, Euphony sounds fuller and weightier and so it will cost you nothing to give Euphony a try but ultimately, if you're already happy with what you're getting from just your server, perhaps it's time to sell the NUC and stay with what you already have.  Finding the perfect balance is a tricky thing and what works for one person may not work for another but once you find that perfect balance, it's golden.

If I end up keeping my NUC, I will either use Windows Server on it (if possible) or try the Euphony. 

You and Rajiv reported that adding a NUC (with no clock modification) as a Roon endpoint to a high quality server like Innuos Zenith was an improvement in sound quality compare to using the Innuos alone. My custom built server I'm sure is not as good as Innuos. But still, it sounds better on its own comparing to AL/NUC endpoint. That has left my head scratching.

Many of you got great result with the unmodified NUC using it as Roon endpoint compare to stand alone server. That is not the case in my situation. That is why I'm in a dilemma doing the clock upgrade and better PSU no doubt will yield a better sound quality but whether the ROI would be worth it. I think I might try installing Windows Server on the NUC and see the result.

As a side question: May told me that it is possible to install sCLK-EX inside the NUC but would have to remove the 2 USB connection from the front of the case. Do you think there's added benefit of having a dedicated sCLK-EX inside rather than through USB Ultra?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

@Nenon Thank you for facilitating purchase of Apacer RAM. I am eagerly waiting for mine.

I became a RAM believer when I build my dedicated music server using all Paul Pang components in early 2015. I recall when I was waiting for Paul Pangs special RAM (non ECC) to arrive, I was using regular consumer grade RAM. Once I replaced them with PPA RAM, the improvement in sound quality was immediate, noticeable and quite significant. I still have those although they are DDR3 RAM. I'm curious what Paul Pang has up its sleeve lately.

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Iving said:

- Max CPU Cooler Height: 135mm for e.g. NOFAN CR-80EH Copper IcePipe as well as air, water

https://streacom.com/products/f12c-chassis/

https://streacom.com/downloads/ug/f12c_150407.pdf

Still just about available.

I got excited when I first saw this case. However, this is not meant to be a passive case. Problem with using after market passive cooler like NOFAN is that either you'd need to install an intake and exhaust chassis fan to dissipate the heat off the passive cooler as there's no heat pipe that is touching the chassis surface to dissipate the heat to outside environment or you need to have the chassis open to have free airflow from outside. But I suspect, in either cases you'd not get TDP 80W of cooling with CR-80EH, more like 65W that precludes the best in class CPU that starts with TDP 95W.

1 minute ago, taipan254 said:

Just a point of clarification - I asked Roy why he doesn't use a regular CPU case with a passive heatsink. One can achieve

the same, well-known benefits you describe above, @shahed99, including 120W TDP compatibility, and use a full ATX motherboard. As you know, passive heatsinks do not have any fans / moving parts / noisy motors. 

I bring this up because Roy was lamenting using uATX boards simply for case and cooling compatibility. 

There are no proven, ready to purchase passive heatsink available in the market capable of cooling TDP > 100W CPU effectively, at least I'm not aware of any. The Noctual one you've linked, I've been keeping an eye on them for a while. So far, it's just a concept with no indication when or if at all if will be released. I vaguely recall another concept passive heatsink that were suppose to be capable of cooing ~100W CPU but the manufacturer had to abandon the idea for whatever reason.

14 minutes ago, Iving said:

Looked it up in case of interest: "The CR-95C can continuously and silently cool any processor with a TDP specification of 95 watts and under."

That could be a very effective solution esp for someone who doesn't want/need a streacom/hdplex type passive and make it work with regular chassis. But might need to make sure to not stress the system/CPU and have adequate ventilation and ambient temperature if powering a CPU with TDP of 95W or greater.

It's been a while since I watched this youtube video to remember the details where the reviewer tried to power a Ryzen 3900X with CR-95C. As far as I recall, it was useable but the temp was quite a bit on the higher side even when the system wasn't on for that long.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/8/2020 at 10:32 AM, guiltyboxswapper said:

I did see this posted, infact, I brought the planet SFPs as soon as Emile mentioned them.

@guiltyboxswapper @matthias I've a favor to ask. Can you guys please share what fiber cable are you using between the planet SFP mentioned here? Do I need to use a attenuator given they are for long distance?

I've a Mikrotik router and SoTM switch and planning to use the SFP between them. Thank you!

I'm a big believer in optical now since that above experience. In order to completely get rid of ethernet/copper connection, I need to find a suitable replacement of my JCAT NET card. Is there any audiophile grade PCIE optical lan card? I think startech makes one but not sure their quality.

• 3 months later...
On 6/30/2020 at 10:41 AM, flkin said:

I purchased he latest version from Max Townshend and in some ways I received good results, but mostly it was again negative. What a downer - the anti-vibration and isolation theory was sound but practically it didn’t play out. Mids too forward and harder. It was supposed to provide immediate improvements - and without any breaking in time!

When I got to this part, my reaction was "no way!" lol. I'm also a recent owner of Townshend Podium. I bought them to placate my downstair neighbor mostly. It didn't help much in that regard. But the sound improvement was immediate and satisfying. These are the keepers.

Then I read the rest of your post. What do you know, I have used DIY Duelund tinner wire in the past as my previous speakers internal wiring! But have been using Western Electric tinned copper wire everywhere (IC + SC) for few years now. Duelund hook up took the concept from W.E. popularized by Jeff Day's blog. Anyway, those DIY WE wire replaced my $2.5k worth of interconnect and speaker cables and it was an improvement. Haven't tempted to try any other brands of analog cable since then.

23 hours ago, flkin said:

Ah how interesting! I got there with the Townshend Podiums eventually after switching to tinned copper. It wasn’t an immediate step up for me but took some rearrangement of cables to get there. 

Right now I’m finding a naturalness and correctness to the sound that I haven’t heard before with the tinned copper loom. But one thing unusual I noticed is the daily variations of sound seems to be more than before. One day, it’s spot on sound and another day bass gets fatter or soundstage is smaller. I suppose it’s to do with breaking in as it’s happening less over time. 

You say you’ve switched over to $2.5k wires, is this still tinned copper?

I replaced the $2.5k worth of interconnect and speaker cables with western electric ones. The previous ones weren't tinned copper. Also, I think the duelund hook up wire takes a while to break-in.