IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

15 hours ago, hols said:

I must make some correction here as to the use of Ultracap lps-1 to power the SOtM tx-USBUltra. Initially I thought it was the iPower charging not fast enough that caused the USBUltra to stop functioning but after 2 more days of running the USBUltra using Teradak to charge the Ultracap it turns out that the USBUltra also stops working several times. No pattern could be traced. It happens in Linux system or Windows10 system. It occurs both in light loads like chamber music or in heavy loads like orchestral pieces. So it is more likely that the USBUltra actually requires a current higher than 1.2A momentarily now and then so much so that the Ultracap lps-1 stops providing current and caused the USBUltra to stop. So I have to reset the system by pulling off the USB cable and reconnect. But frankly speaking the sound is so great that even though this might be a bit disturbing at times it is still worth it. Alternatively one would have to think about using a Vinnie rossi (can also deal with leaking current) or Paul Hynes power supply(well optimised and galvanically isolated) for it.

FWIW, I'm using an Uptone JS-2 to power my SOtM tx-USBUltra (which is reclocking the USB from an sMS-200 powered by an LPS-1) and there haven't been any hiccups (dac is Chord DAVE). And, yes, the tx-USBUltra made a noticeable improvement in SQ versus using the sMS-200 directly into DAVE. looking forward to getting my hands on the sMS-200 Ultra!

ChrisG

Bend, OR

4 hours ago, austinpop said:

My Ultra Trifecta Study Part 2: More Experiments

1. Look Ma, no USB galvanic isolation!

Jokes aside, one consequence of going from my old stack to my new stack was the loss of the Intona, that potentially was blocking leakage currents on the USB signal path. My new chain has isolation from the AC mains via the LPS-1 PSUs, but was I still leaving something on the table due to the lack of GI from the Intona?

So I added back the Intona between the sMS-200 and the tX-USBultra. Result: not good. Remember my "snap into focus" analogy? Well, this was the opposite. The sound became more recessed, the image shrunk, and it sounded subjectively almost woolly in comparison.

Now remember - there are two competing effects at play here. Potentially the Intona blocks leakage currents via its isolation, but at the expense of signal integrity, due to higher jitter and a poorer clock than the sCLK-EX.

Whatever the reason, the equation comes out in favor of "no Intona."

I am very curious to find out whether the ISO-Regen upstream of the tX-USBultra produces a net further improvement. I will wait to hear how that turns out for @romaz, @mozes, and others. I was so itching to pre-order it, but knowing these folks would be able to evaluate it first gave me the strength to resist. That - and my overheated credit card!

I guess I'm not totally surprised by this result since SOtM deliberately avoids galvanic isolation. And, FWIW, Mike Moffit at Schiit at some very strong opinions about its "worth" on his thread over at HF. I'd link to it, but since they did that shitty website "upgrade" you can't search a thread. #fail

At any rate, I too have an ISO-Regen on the way so we'll see what we shall see.  BTW, what switch did you have SOtM upgrade and what do they put in it? Thanks

ChrisG

Bend, OR

12 hours ago, austinpop said:

If you have some recommended tunings on the DAVE, please do let us know.

A lot of my collection is DSD64, and we definitely found the SQ improved by switching from the PCM+ to the DSD+ mode. But please note - neither of us know the DAVE well at all, so it's possible we may not be using it optimally.

Please advise the best settings for:

• DSD64 tracks
  • 24-bit 48/96/192 PCM

We'll be doing another sessions's at Eric's later this week.

It's pretty straight forward - PCM+ for PCM, DSD+ for DSD...oh, and make sure you have the HF on

ChrisG

Bend, OR

11 hours ago, austinpop said:

We're not doing conversion - at least not intentionally. Here is what the DAVE manual says:

Based on this, we felt DSD+ was the safest mode to run in. I guess we could toggle to PCM+ every time we switched to a PCM track, but we didn't do that.

yes, toggle back and forth for the best sound. It's actually a pretty dumb set-up...there should be an option for it to automatically switch since most owners think that the PCM+ setting is best for PCM and DSD+ is best for DSD. Same with the High Filter setting...even Rob Watts says that it sounds best with it in the "on" position, so why is it even an option?

Big warning here - if you used cross-feed during your headphone session, make sure you turn it back to zero when you use it with a speaker system because if it is "on", it is active on all outputs, not just the headphone jack. And you'll need headphones available to access the menu for this.

Yet another dumb design choice with the DAVE. And, unless you have headphones plugged in, this setting doesn't come up in the menu nor the display, so you don't even know it is on. This isn't mentioned in the owner's manual either. I don't use headphones and my unit was new, so not a problem, but quite a few guys over at HF just discovered that they've been listening (unintentionally) to cross-feed with their speaker systems

ChrisG

Bend, OR

Like others have said, I agree that my Chord DAVE sounds better when fed from the sMS-200 (compared to mRendu or even fed directly from a SOtM sMS 1000SQ Windows Edition) and the sound improved more when it was powered by the LPS-1 and the tx-USBUltra further improved the sound by adding more dynamics and bass notes firmed up.  

However, after spending a couple of years in the wilderness of USB dacs, I've decided to go back to Linn streamers. Consequently, I have a SOtM sMS-200, tx-USBUltra, an LPS-1 and a Curious USB cable that I'll be posting for sale soon. Before I officially list them for sale, I thought I'd let this group know that if you're looking for a package deal on an sMS chain and saving a few bucks, message me offline.

ChrisG

Bend, OR