IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

If this works for you then great.

I would like to point out the misconception that a "direct" connection is somehow fundamentally different than using a switch or router. Routers themselves very frequently run a variant of Linux e.g. pfSense so all this really depends on is the quality of the hardware : many many people here obsess over details of PC hardware / disc drives/ different types of power supplies yet hardly any thought regarding different types of switches and routers.

An FMC is itself a simple switch ... and replacing the power supply and/or clocks can be considered for not a great deal of $$

So all else equal: no big deal. However it's taking a lot or work to get Windows to work in bridged mode: duh -- it's not designed to be a router/switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except that maybe the "subnetwork" dedicated to the NAA has less traffic. Or am I understanding this wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

After much fiddling I got it to work. My set up is a bit different. I use a Surface Pro. It doesn't have any Ethernet ports. I used 2 USB ethernet converters. I can't really tell if it's much better or not. It "seems" slower. I'll need more time.

Turns out I made a mistake. When I plugged in the USB ethernet adapter I accidentally unseated the docking station so the Surface Pro was running out of battery. No wonder it sounded slow. After charging for a few hours, I have to admit it does sound better.

Thank you for this link, Jesus! I was not aware of it and so it appears you've blazed this trail already with your Sonicorbiter. Interestingly, it appears the intent was for convenience and no one really made any comments on whether they thought this connection resulted in sonic superiority (perhaps no one considered it might sound better this way and so no one did any critical comparisons although to my ears, the improvement isn't subtle).

On my Mac Mini (El Capitan), I've succeeded in making a connection with a single ethernet port (obviously no bridging involved) but this was only useful for playback of music from local storage. For those who wish to stream from a NAS or from Tidal, then you're stuck.

I will be testing Windows for myself soon but it appears this direct connection is a bit trickier with Windows for many who have tried it thus far. Perhaps the best person to develop a guide for Windows would be Andrew Gillis. As he is the developer of the microRendu's OS, I would think he would be in the best position to develop a "no fuss" direct path to the microRendu. He has already suggested he can configure a sonicTransporter that could be used for direct connection straight out of the box and so this could represent a convenient option for many.

There's many different versions of Windows and infinite hardware configurations. That will be the challenge but i think it works ok as long as you get the static IP DHCP settings before bridging the Ethernet ports.

Although I'm a MacOS guy in real life, I use Windows for audio.

I'm hearing improvements in so many different categories (soundstage, focus, PRAT, removal of digital grain), but the most pronounced or dramatic change was in the bass response. I had to make some serious downward adjustments to my subwoofer. Even after doing that, bass lines in the music I'm listening to are really standing out (a good thing) and are much easier to follow. So strange... Anyone else hearing the same thing?

Bass and soundstage.

I have the same problem (after it worked fine the first time I tried it) : see my previous post

I have tested 2 other computers (both with their Mobo NIC and the same Startech USB-LAN-adapter).

With a fanless Shuttle computer under W10 : same stuttering result. With my Lenovo Z50 notebook under W10 : no stuttering. With my NUC under W2012R2 : stuttering.

I still do not know what the reason could be. Maybe I should try a PCIe card with a LAN-port?

I had a similar problem. What fixed it was pulling out the USB ethernet adapter and plugging it back in. That changed the ipv4 settings. Then I re bridged the ports. Worked fine after that.

While my client naa is Intel nuc but running audiolinux. After music stopped, I opened settings and saw music device still highlighted and I would press OK to pick it up again naa connection. Then I could play another 1 hour plus before it would stop again. As you said very predictable behavior. If I don't click settings I got to continue clicking the song in Playlist until it plays again

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Do you have wireless enabled on your modem and have a wireless router? Sometimes the 2 wireless networks fight each other and changes ip settings. Also try and increase the dhcp lease times on your modem. It might be set to 1 hour. I changed mine to 365 days.

• 1 month later...
Yes, they both will use the same clock but it appears that multiple reclockings seems to result in further benefit and that has been my experience. I'm sure there will be a point of diminishing return and so what the practical stopping point will be is not yet clear. You could look at this as a marketing ploy by SOtM but my experience has been that the improvement with further reclocking with this clock has been significant and in my case, very worthwhile. Would it be cost effective to buy both an sMS-200 Ultra and the tX-USB Ultra (their version of the USB Regen) or perhaps maybe their dX-USB HD Ultra (their USB-to-SPDIF converter)? The difference will be there for sure but what I would advise is that if you know you would want two or maybe even three of these components, since their clock board has the option of 4 clock outputs, I would suggest that you get one of these units in the Ultra version and order the 2nd (or 3rd) unit in the less expensive standard version and have SOtM wire them together so that the standard versions tap into the clock that is in the Ultra. It would be considerably less expensive this way. Another inexpensive option would be to buy a cheap switch like I did and have them use a clock output for this switch.

If you go this route, keep in mind that you will not be able to power the Ultra unit with an LPS-1 but you could use the LPS-1 for the other units.

I am a bit confused about how you manage to reclock your switch. Or did I misunderstand your earlier post from around a week ago.

• 3 months later...

I really enjoy my Aqvox 2CI Phono stage very much so I decided to get an Aqvox Switch 8.  I noticed a grounding screw on the switch.  Having read about grounding boxes, I decided to make my own.  I went online and researched what was inside them.  It appeared to be just a conductor with crystals inside. I went to a metaphysical store and bought a chunk of tourmaline.  Then for the conductor, I went to a local Indian store where they sold copper serving plates.  I then attached a conductor wire from the plate to the ground from my AC recepticle.  Then I used leads and attached them from a screw from the cases of my DAC, Switch, NAS and preamp.  What I noticed was an increase in low level detail.  Things like air, the acoustic space and foot pedals became more apparent.  Looking at the SMS-200 the screws seem to be Torx type but also the case appears to be metallic looking plastic so I'm not sure if any benefits would be had but wondering if anyone has grounded their SMS-200.

tourmaline.jpg

grounding.jpg

19 hours ago, Cornan said:

Rhinestones used in Aqvox caps are the same thing as clear quartz which have very interesting electrical properties. Except turning micro vibrations into heat, piezo- and pyroelectrical properties plus ionic nature they are also known to absorb RFI/EMI in a wide frequency range.

BTW. My Aqvox switch is grounded to a Entreq Minimus grounding box with great results.

If you want to ground the SMS-200 I suggest you connect it via one of the USB sockets (signal ground). Buy a screw terminal USB A plug and connect both GND+shield screw.

Image result for usb a ground

Something like this?  I don't know if my old eyes can solder this well.

Image result for screw terminal USB A plug

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having trouble bridging ethernet ports with the new 64 bit Jriver MC23.  For some reason my network doesn't see the NAS but when type in the NAS IP address in a browser it sees it.  I used to have this problem before but I fixed it but re-starting msconfig in normal mode but now that doesn't work.  It does work if I use the 32 bit version.  So weird.  I have Fidelizer and Audiophile Optimizer running under Windfows 10 on a Surface Pro if that matters.