IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 1/27/2021 at 10:37 AM, guiltyboxswapper said:

For those interested in the SFN8522 and Onload, make sure you purchase a card that includes such a licence such as  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R76FD-DELL-SOLARFLARE-SFN8522-ONLOAD-FLAREON-ULTRA-DUAL-PORT-10GBE-LP/154193863116  

I'm not yet sure which version I have, the ebay listing says it should be the Ultra is that the right one? Solarflare Flareon Ultra Sfn8522 Server Adapter 

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

• 1 month later...

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/35821-noise-measurements-leds-zener-diodes.html Also read with interest that many LEDs become more noisy when they are exposed to light 🤔

Noise from LED's is not really a new topic, though I'm not aware of LED design changed a lot since or that newer LEDs have been measured for noise... that design guide telling designers to avoid LED's may really actually mean something, so do responses by people reporting to hearing a difference.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

great info! Nice, so that is one worry less if the power supplied to the LEDs is clean (meaning no PWM)

If Walt Jung is using them it's fine for me too...I have him in high regard!

next time you could try some desoldering wick, it is loaded with flux and sucks up the solder. Or a desoldering vacuum thingy.

• 2 weeks later...

switching on and off also somehow helps speeding up burn-in.

If you can try fibre optic....especially when you can try it with the solarflare card

Finisar 1321 for me too as I went with the info above and from a later thread(not sure which), yet without any other comparison than the stock SFP the router came with (those were rubbish) 

Anyone here who knows how to get Intel Optane NVME to work on a GB Aorus X570 Mobo?

NMVME is enables, stick in slot 1, but it's not recognized and the BIOS appears to lack further settings, or I am missing something...or...can it be that I need to format the stick first (bought it used but it's likely used in a intel based windows computer.

Meanwhile some further (basic) BIOS adjustments pay off sonically (internal LAN, HD Audio and USB disabled),

there is one solution called LEEDH (unless I misspelled it) but I'm a bit sceptical about that too...digital volume control yes, but lossless??

https://www.processing-leedh.com/copie-de-presentation

https://www.audio “science” review/forum/index.php?threads/leedh-digital-volume.15582/

Metrum claims they have lossless volume control over a wide enough volume range in the Adagio, they do it by adjusting the voltage reference for the R2R ladder. That approach sounds more viable to me, yet I have to confess that much of the LEEDH algorithm wizardry is beyond me so all I can do is regurgitate the info.

6 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

Unfortunately not available as standalone software, only through manufacturers.

I know, still I think you are better off with f.e. a Khozmo shunt stepped attanuator using one z foil in series in the analog domain, they can add a remote function.

I know, it's not how to use it but the moBo does not recognize the Optane ...it almost seems as if the chipset does not recognizes it on purpose 

Thanks a lot @Nenon ! I will try that, my linux skills are approximately 1%.. 

Good that I have the AudioLinux SSD lying around, perhaps I can use that for this purpose!

On 3/28/2021 at 1:31 PM, lmitche said:

Hi Marcel,

The idea is to use the Optane as a boot drive not as a cache for a hard disk as originally intended by Intel. Here is the original description of this use case for the Optane for audio:

Optane SSD as Boot drive - SQ Nirvana? - Disk Storage / Music Library Storage - Audiophile Style

Just install or copy an OS on to the Optane and take it from there. It is the speed of the Optane on short bursty traffic generated in apps like Roon, or chatty OSes like Windows that improves SQ.

These drives are at End of Life(EOL), so we need to find a substitute for this use case with good speed on short randoms writes and a quiet controller.

I do plan to use it to boot the OS from, and to store some files I want to play direct. I found that (weird enough) files playing memory sound better if those are retrieved from Optane (sounds better than when the source was the SSD)

@Nenon So far using Lubunto on a stick shows no nvme at all, all I see using sudo fdisk -l are 1.9 Gb of something, the USB stick (some 60Gb , close enough to the nominal size of 64) and what I think is RAM (showing as /dev/zram0 to zram15 in block of 248.78 Mb 

that latter comes down to 4 Gb which is half what is in the PC.

Guess I'll be looking for an NVME PCIe to USB adapter so I can try from within Windows, using rufus or something...my Linux experience is very very basic....

would the BIOS not show the NVME but it being inaccessible in the OS if locked? the Bios does not show NVME in either slot even if both are populated with optane, or either.

BTW Linux tries to tell me NVME is not ready while BIOS does not even see it, so it may well be the Optane being locked!

thanks! I don't think I'll be claiming warranty for having bought used Optane sticks...16 and 32 Gb costing a 15 euro or so each.

I'm going to try a NVME PCIe to USB case as I anticipate having one with a regular SSD is handy, and I can use it to troubleshoot the Optane some more using f.e. Rufus. Brute force formatting should IMO always work unless it's bust.

• 2 months later...

Nice!

I May not be looking closely enough but I see no TDP rating, just that it's unable to handle base clock without fan on most interesting AMD CPU's.... 

I have a set of copper heatpipes and copper adapter plate on the way from China for the AM4 (Ryzen 7 2700x) that I'll try before thinking about this option. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just upgraded the CPU from an octacore to a twelve core and once more I am baffled with the improvement in SQ more processing power brings...it has been reported previously so it's not a major surprise, but still...

The previous CPU load in Daphile was 0.X %, so negligable, it is now in the same range. At the same time I notice that the Solarflare card runs cooler, almost as if the CPU takes on more work the Solarflare now does not need to do?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 8:18 PM, Chopin75 said:

For Mahler 8 I think you really need surround

Sound 5.1 to do that. Almost always have congestion with stereo 2 speakers or headphones. Try a SACD or surround music files and u will.see what mean. Good thing Euphony can do 5.1. Surround! 

A year or two ago I had the fortune to hear Mahler 8 (Jaap van Zweden conducting the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra and couple of Choirs), and while you're able to zoom in and zoom out on individual sections there IMO is no way you'll be able to isolate instruments not doing a solo section but for the larger and louder instruments. I can say that I had a blast!

Digging into custom chokes for audio you need to find a winder that knows what makes a choke sound good, my experience is that these folks are pretty rare so I'd take @Superdad up on that offer!

@Exocer ; do you plan to try the circuit without a circuit board? My experience with building a.o. a Le Monstre Amp (think high currents, low power output) is that hard wired sounds better, even when using double thickness circuit boards.

BTW: I'm currently using a 12 core AMD, and it transformed the sound in a way I did NOT expect. Sure, the change from 4 to 8 core was clearly an improvement but here I needed to turn the volume down a few clicks because the impact of the music and it's (perceived?) volume increased by quite a bit. Definition is better across the freq range and the low end's resolution increased and is extremely tight.

Adding a new MoBo (Aorus X570 Master) in a few days as on my current one suddenly two of the four RAM slots refused to boot with the Apacer RAM, and then I can finally adress the two remaining battle grounds; PSU and passive cooling...still need to find a large enough heatsink with capacity for approx 100W. I decided I don't want to go the alu case route, wood with EMI shielding it'll be.

21 hours ago, Superdad said:

The Jaegers are okay but expensive, inconvenient to work with, and not often in good stock.

But I hold GX16 connectors in extremely low regard. Most of those to be had are garbage from China, you can buy a bag of 30 sets (male and female pairs) for $6!

Frankly we would like to see everyone move to the really terrific Neutrik speakON connectors. Exceptional flat contact area, very high current capability, 1mOhm contact resistance. Plus super easy to work with, accepts big wire, readily available in 2, 4, and 8 pole versions--all at reasonable prices.

https://www.neutrik.com/en/products/audio/speakon

did you mean Neutrik powercon for up to 32 Amps or specifically the Neutrik Speakon connectors for power? https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/nac3fc-hc

Does that coil have enough current capacity at all? as far as I can tell that is a speaker filter coil, likely not made with any DC in mind let alone high current DC, likely lacking an air gap so saturating off the bat...just my 2 cents.

anyone interested in an AMD build, I can vouch for the fact that the Aorus Master is well worth the upgrade....straight from the box and everything still cold after the swap....more flavours of nuances, control, inkieness, well many of the audio buzzwords we like so much ;-)

Big question now is, add another 8 pin cable or not, did anyone venture into that realm? (probably, I just can't find it)

I dare paraphrase someone by saying that this was 'a small step for the CPU but a giant step for SQ"